Progressive Employee Reviews

Brutal and demoralizing workload
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILOctober 2, 2016
Progressive spouts a tremendous work life balance and rewarding career but once hired into the claims department you soon learn the truth. As the weeks pass the quantity of claims that are assigned steadily increase until you feel as though your in quicksand. My co-workers and I consistently work 12 hour days Monday through Friday plus a weekend day to have a fighting chance. They dangle a year end bonus to hopefully give you encouragement to carry on as family relationships suffer, weight gain plagues your existence and you begin to notice the depressing turn over rate. Your salary of $51,000 quickly turns into $30,000 with all the hours put in.
The position can be mastered and is rewarding when you help those
through difficult times. Just watch out for the snow ball effect that will surely build and run you over!
Pros
matching vested 401K, some cool supervisors
Cons
WORKLOAD!
Great Benefits and opportunites
Claims Generalist (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 5, 2016
Enjoyable place to work if you can deal with a lot of negativity from customers and from co-workers. Training was sparse when I started and ended up being a factor in my leaving but company was proactively working to fix this. Management is a bit rigid but over all is a good place to work. Just have to be able to deal with very aggressive customers who won't admit or tell the truth in many situations and with some co-workers who do not pull their weight and expect you to cover their mistakes. Management is older and fairly out of touch but company is working to rectify this.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses, advancement
Cons
Negative work environment in many places
Great employees and team enviroment
Claims Generalist (Former Employee) –  Tampa floridaAugust 17, 2016
A typical work day consists of helping customer through difficult times.
Setting up repairs to their vehicles and setting up rentals.
I learned a lot in how a call center operates and the flow of how to handle difficult situations.
Management is extremely helpful they want you to succeed.
Co-workers are great they are fun to work with and very helpful when in need of resolving problems or just day to day tasks.
The hardest part of the job is workload you must stay focused or you won't be successful.
The best part of the job is when you help someone through their difficult situations and you are successful in doing so.
Pros
Great people, great benefits
Cons
Early on it will be very time consuming, it will get easier if you are focused.
Ok Place
Sales/Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHSeptember 11, 2016
Typical day would be clocking into your phone getting to use some of the read time you have to see what is new and updated over the company or if there have been any changes to any of the guidelines we may need to know. Once you are done reading you go right in to taking phone calls you would get two 15 min breaks plus your 60 mins for lunch. On busy days this could make it for a very long day of taking call after call after call with not time in between. I have learned a great deal about insurance and how some states are stricter than other when it does come to insurance. Management is ok sometimes. They say they will be giving you feedback on your calls and there is room to advance in the company. The hardest part of the job is taking the calls after calls and not having the time in between when you get a rude customer.
Pros
Benefits Are good, Feedback
Cons
Short breaks, taking call after call after call, Not getting the required feedback you need, No room to really advance in the company, Number base driving.
Advancement is quick and the people amazing!
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
I worked with Progressive Insurance for 2 years and loved every minute of it. From the day I walked in for training I found myself amongst liked mined individuals. Everyone there was friendly and outgoing.
Supervisors when we hit the floor always took the time to help with any questions that I had. We were required to have some independent work ethic, however we did need sups every now and then.
The work place inside this company is fast paced. The claims department where I worked was always fast but so rewarding. I found that the most rewarding aspect was helping the customers in such a stressful time.
When looking to advance within the company all the supervisors and managers are always happy to help. I've never seen a company more committed to their employees.

**Please if you get the chance to work with such a dynamic group, jump at the opportunity. You wont be disappointed.
Pros
Great Benifits, Fun Enviorment, Carrer advancment
Cons
Stressful days
Great company but limitations depending on business group
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 28, 2016
Progressive is a wonderful company overall, with amazing senior leaders who are approachable. It is true that the organization is run as a meritocracy. I was fortunate to have worked in a variety of positions within my employment of 12 plus years. Company objectives stretch your limits and challenge your problem solving abilities.

The benefits are above par and the company listens to its employees--from benefits offerings to employee programs. Their appreciation for diversity and inclusion ranks above other employers in my opinion.

One caution is that the business unit (and department) can limit your upward mobility quite a bit. And, at times, job objectives are not clear if in a corporate role (not metric driven) and performance review can be subjective.

I would work for Progressive again if ever the opportunity was the right fit. While I am proud of the work I was able to produce during my tenure with Progressive, I am more pleased with the open mindedness of our executive team who listened to our ideas and the difference the results of our work lent contributed to improvements in our culture and employee experience.
Fun place to work, Work load made it impossible to stay!
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 30, 2016
I worked in the claims department. Progressive was a great place to work. However, the amount of work that one person is expected to do is outrageous. You are on salary, so there is no overtime pay, and you will have to work over about 4-5 days a week to keep up. You get so many claims at a time that you can not hardly keep up unless you come in early and leave late, which is what I was doing.
I was told that the claims load would slow down, but that did not ever happen. I would get slammed with so many claims that I could not finish in a day. If they would spread the claims out and not give one person so much work to do, I would have stayed there forever. However, I'm not about to work 55-60 hours a week with no overtime pay and never see my family because my work load is so high. Maybe in the future they will see that it is hard for a single person to do the work that you need 2-3 people doing. After speaking with management I know that nothing will change anytime soon. Work load was to much and I had to resign.
Benefits
Cons
Work load & Working 55-60 hours a week to keep up and not being compensated for it.
Progressive is a great place to work at I was there for a long time, unfortunately there was not a lot of advancement for me.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLNovember 28, 2016
I would always refer anyone to Progressive it is just time for me to use my knowledge and do more for myself. There were good benefits, onsite gym and cafeteria. I just feel like I'm ready for more of a challenge.
Pros
A lot of employee recognition.
Cons
Just not a lot of room for advancement.
Do not work in Fort Myers, Florida for Progressive Insurance
Managed Repair Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 21, 2016
Do not work for the claims department for Progressive Insurance in Fort Myers, Florida. The management is horrible. You do not get a lunch, and they expect you to work overtime with no compensation for it. If you do want to work for Progressive Insurance I would work in Ohio where their headquarters are.
Pros
Cons
No lunch, no pay for overtime, horrible managers
Not a bad company
Inbound Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLJune 22, 2016
Overall Progressive is a decent company to work for. Except for the fact that they work you like a trained monkey and get onto you about the little stuff. But they don't pay very well, and the Management for the most part is totally useless.

Not to mention there is absolutely no room for growth in the company. I worked there 2 years and was top 10% in the company in sales and they pay new trainees more than i was getting paid.

Its a great place to be if you want to turn your brain off and get treated like garbage all day. If you can do that the benefits are great.
High volume fast paced
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLNovember 5, 2016
Progressive is a great place to work. Extensive training is provided to ensure you are adequately prepared for any position that you are hired for. Management cares about their employees and the benefits are great. Diversity in both background and experience is welcomed and celebrated.
Pros
Non smoking benefit
This was a great and fair place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 3, 2016
It was a call center job. They expect you to answer the phone and to be available. They give you tons of tool to use to balance the work load and allow you to browse the web as long as you are not on a call. They use NICE to they can see what you are doing when on a call. They were a fair company to work for. They harder you work and better you get from them. You also get gainsharing. The better the company does the more money you get based on your salary. They go out of their way to treat the employees nicely. Their call volume can be really high at times. Co-workers are great. Management is fair.
Great place to work if you need a set schedule
Senior Bilingual Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 16, 2016
Progressive made my working experience great, always felt appreciate and was continuously rewarded for my efforts. Management worked with life changes and gave opportunities when available.
Pros
Great pay, benefits & flexibility
Cons
Short lunch break
Productive and fun workplace
Technical Lead/Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 21, 2016
- Great work-life balance
- Good benefits
- A complete People company. It takes great care of its employees.
- Great co-workers. Always willing to mentor and coach.
- Lot of Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) serving different sections of the society and welcoming to all.
high stress
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 11, 2016
Due to rapid growth, work load and expectations are unrealistic without working a 60+ hour work week. No overtime, salary only. Training department is mediocre at best, and again, due to rapid growth, hiring/training became less efficient, therefore more errors were being made from new hires which only resulted in more work for the rest of the employees. HR needs to figure it out and hire quality trainers.
Great balance
Interior Designer (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHSeptember 28, 2016
Progressive is a great place to work and grow. The available training, workplace incentives, culture and diversity are all excellent. The work/life balance would be difficult to match.
Pros
Benefits, work from home
Good Company
Senior Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2016
This is a great company to work for. The environment is the leading factor. The pay compared to other companies is below average; however, there is talk they may move to salary. There are several lateral moves that must be made before advancing. The leadership is very very good!
It was very detailed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, OHOctober 28, 2016
I love working at progressive very well trained and understand the world of insurance very flexible with working around days you might need off supervisor are very knowledgeable and helps in anyway they can
Pros
Nice place to work have good benefits and very good pay
Cons
Its in clevand and i live in akron so a little far to drive
Good company, bad apples in management
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHJune 13, 2016
My division was impersonal and cold. Others are better, some are worse. Learned a lot about project management and processes. Mistreatment by managers is common, but not all of them are like that. (Mine was especially abusive.)The hardest part of the job was the dehumanizing culture, the best part was challenging problems to solve and always learning something new.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Detrimental to mental health
Typical Day on the Job
Collections Represenative (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDMay 22, 2016
A typical day at work started with logging onto the computer. From there, I proceeded to skip trace and contact debtors by phone to work out a payment arrangement. I would get an hour for lunch, then upon returning from lunch follow through with any appointments I had made for contact. Once that was completed, I would continue skip tracing and contacting people through telephone leaving messages for contact as needed. Once able to reach someone, I would advise them of the debt, and attempt to work out a payment arrangement.
Pros
Free Coffee. 1 hour lunches. Good benifits. Day Shift. Got most weekends Off.
Cons
Poor Economy, Very stressful, Impossible Job demands

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progressive. Our community is ready to answer.