Progressive Employee Reviews

Found 1,083 reviews matching the search
Ups and downs
Claims Generalist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96814January 31, 2017
The claims world is never easy. The people you work with at Progressive make it a fun environment if there aren't any toxic employees. There is a political game but I suppose that's everywhere you go. "They say" tenure doesn't matter, but that's contrary to what I've seen. Usually, you'll work more than the allotted 8 hours and that really affects work/life balance. If you can't manage the work within those 8 hours and ask for help from managers, you're placed on an action plan which counts against your performance evaluation which in turn affects your salary. So, if you're like me, you'll work more than 40+ hours a week. Upsides are being able to help customers everyday and be a positive light when they've just experienced a terrible accident. It makes you feel good doing the work for good people. The negatives are dealing with terrible people and getting surveyed by them, which in turn, affects your raise at the end of the year.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
work life balance
Excellent work environment with breaks and employee breakroom.
Workmans compensation adjuster trainee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2017
This company provided excellent training and staff support for its employees. The benefit package was good as well as the competitive pay scale. They offered opportunities for advancement and various relocation offices. The company was a new start back in 1992 and was growing quickly but still maintain a professional atmosphere. The training offered in depth and detailed understanding of the workman's compensation law as well as the old laws. Provided step by step instruction on opening new claims and analyzing legitimacy in the claim and how to manage the open file. It
also provided brief basic medical training which is often found in claims. The performance evaluations were ranked and were fair.
Pros
excellent training and support
Great if you don't have children
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLJanuary 5, 2017
Fast paced & stressful at times. There are quotas even if you are not in sales. Management was lazy and expected you to do everything yourself &/or for them. If you have kids, this is not the place for you! Be a robot and expect to not help customers who truly need it! For example, a customer has cancer, her husband just died and her auto insurance cancelled. No human components. So if helping people is what motivates you or if you don't have a family, this is a good place to work.
Pros
Benefits like health insurance, gym (if you have time to actually use) and onsite medical facility.
Cons
Not family friendly/understanding when kids get sick, lazy management and number driven.
Very Misleading
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHDecember 12, 2016
I started at Progressive as a contractor in November of 2016. I was starting my second week on their IT Helpdesk and everything was wonderful. Coworkers and managers were friendly. The Environment is relaxed. The hardest part for me was sitting at a desk all day, but it was definitely worth it in the end. The reason for my low points was the fact that when I returned home from work on the 8th day of employment, my contract agency called me and told me Progressive terminated my contract, and I am forbidden to contact them for any reason. The only thing I could get from them when asked why was that it "was not performance related" So they fired me because I didn't deserve it. If there was something I said, I do not know. Some I did, no idea. This company was great to work for for the week I did, but I find their way of terminating without reason or explanation very disturbing.
Pros
Good people, good benefits, good atmsophere
Cons
Every day could be your last. With or without reason.
Great people to work with
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSMarch 3, 2017
I truly enjoyed my time at Progressive and made several life-long friends there. We were always busy, but the people I worked with over the years made even the toughest days pleasant. Even though the job of adjuster was challenging, there were always new experiences to learn from and share with others in the office. My time at Progressive helped me develop my customer service skills and improve my communication skills, especially when dealing with difficult situations.
Pros
Work environment, benefits
Cons
Clear communication from management
Brutal and demoralizing workload
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILOctober 2, 2016
Progressive spouts a tremendous work life balance and rewarding career but once hired into the claims department you soon learn the truth. As the weeks pass the quantity of claims that are assigned steadily increase until you feel as though your in quicksand. My co-workers and I consistently work 12 hour days Monday through Friday plus a weekend day to have a fighting chance. They dangle a year end bonus to hopefully give you encouragement to carry on as family relationships suffer, weight gain plagues your existence and you begin to notice the depressing turn over rate. Your salary of $51,000 quickly turns into $30,000 with all the hours put in.
The position can be mastered and is rewarding when you help those
through difficult times. Just watch out for the snow ball effect that will surely build and run you over!
Pros
matching vested 401K, some cool supervisors
Cons
WORKLOAD!
Great place to work and grow
PIP Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLFebruary 5, 2017
Progressive is an excellent company to work for, so long as the supervisor or managing person is "properly" trained to handle the volume of it's employees under that person's supervision and coaching, etc. The training and furtherance of education is readily available and free, so the problem is hiring and training the persons in charge, so that the employees can work to their full potential!
Pros
Excellent benefits and perks
Cons
extreme volume of work to each individual and poor management of same
Great Benefits and opportunites
Claims Generalist (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 5, 2016
Enjoyable place to work if you can deal with a lot of negativity from customers and from co-workers. Training was sparse when I started and ended up being a factor in my leaving but company was proactively working to fix this. Management is a bit rigid but over all is a good place to work. Just have to be able to deal with very aggressive customers who won't admit or tell the truth in many situations and with some co-workers who do not pull their weight and expect you to cover their mistakes. Management is older and fairly out of touch but company is working to rectify this.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses, advancement
Cons
Negative work environment in many places
Advancement is quick and the people amazing!
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
I worked with Progressive Insurance for 2 years and loved every minute of it. From the day I walked in for training I found myself amongst liked mined individuals. Everyone there was friendly and outgoing.
Supervisors when we hit the floor always took the time to help with any questions that I had. We were required to have some independent work ethic, however we did need sups every now and then.
The work place inside this company is fast paced. The claims department where I worked was always fast but so rewarding. I found that the most rewarding aspect was helping the customers in such a stressful time.
When looking to advance within the company all the supervisors and managers are always happy to help. I've never seen a company more committed to their employees.

**Please if you get the chance to work with such a dynamic group, jump at the opportunity. You wont be disappointed.
Pros
Great Benifits, Fun Enviorment, Carrer advancment
Cons
Stressful days
Management discriminates
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHMarch 28, 2017
Management is bad and they don't help you as far as training goes they just throw you out on the floor and expect you to be verbally abused by customers on the phone and take it then I'm not understanding that the customer service reps are doing all the work why is the CEO making a million dollar bonus every year. The only thing good about this company is the benefits
Benefits
Great environment, challenging job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 10, 2016
As a customer service representative you are required to handle a great deal of information. After six weeks of training and another six weeks of performing the job I have a great deal to learn. It can be incredibly stressful at times. What's great is there is so much support. I'm never alone and can ask for help. This company will work with you to get you where you need to be. If you don't like speaking on the phone this is definitely not the job for you.
Pros
Great environment, Great benefits, good pay
Cons
Can be stressful and it's a great deal of information
Intense, proffessional work environment with excellent benefits.
Estimator/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 25, 2017
Work is very intense and highly managed. There is often difficult customers to deal with. Excellent training is given and job objectives are very clear.
Pros
Excellent benefits and advancement opportunities.
Cons
Difficult customers, intense work environment with micromanagement.
Poor managment
Managed Repair Representative (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMJanuary 24, 2017
Management was inept and lack claims knowledge to correctly handle claims. Extremely busy work environment. Extremely micromanaged making job hard to complete efficiently and productively. Enjoyed opportunity to meet or exceed expectations of customers,
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Micromanged by those who lacked experience in claims adjudication
Great Culture
Insurance Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLMarch 14, 2017
I loved my job at Progressive. If you are someone who goes to work every day, enjoys flexible scheduling options, and great benefits, it is for you. The only reason I had to leave was because I relocated to an area that was out of range. I will miss this job, and am very disappointed that my journey with them is ending.
Pros
Too many to list. Everything you can think of in the way of perks.
Cons
Nothing.
Progressive is a great place to work at I was there for a long time, unfortunately there was not a lot of advancement for me.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLNovember 28, 2016
I would always refer anyone to Progressive it is just time for me to use my knowledge and do more for myself. There were good benefits, onsite gym and cafeteria. I just feel like I'm ready for more of a challenge.
Pros
A lot of employee recognition.
Cons
Just not a lot of room for advancement.
Ok Place
Sales/Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHSeptember 11, 2016
Typical day would be clocking into your phone getting to use some of the read time you have to see what is new and updated over the company or if there have been any changes to any of the guidelines we may need to know. Once you are done reading you go right in to taking phone calls you would get two 15 min breaks plus your 60 mins for lunch. On busy days this could make it for a very long day of taking call after call after call with not time in between. I have learned a great deal about insurance and how some states are stricter than other when it does come to insurance. Management is ok sometimes. They say they will be giving you feedback on your calls and there is room to advance in the company. The hardest part of the job is taking the calls after calls and not having the time in between when you get a rude customer.
Pros
Benefits Are good, Feedback
Cons
Short breaks, taking call after call after call, Not getting the required feedback you need, No room to really advance in the company, Number base driving.
Great work/life balance.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 14, 2017
Progressive is a great company to work for. The company offers good benefits with a supportive culture. Opportunities for advancement are met with encouragement from supervisors.
Pros
Work from home opportunities
Cons
Performance based scheduling
They pay good for all the stuff you must go through
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 14, 2017
Company cares about your compensation. Management isn't always the best. They don't tell you really what your getting into in the interview or in training
Pros
Gain share and celebrations
Cons
Certain rules and manangment don't help with life balances
Handle claims in an office environment.
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 8, 2017
Progressive provides a phenomenal level of customer service to their customers, but at the expense of a poor work environment and lack of morale. I received outstanding training and experience over the years and have worked with a lot of great people in that time. I enjoy my job as I get to interact with a diverse group of Special Lines customers and have the opportunity to provide a high-level of customer service. It is often appreciated on a different level than the typical auto customer, as these products are personal to them, and you have a better opportunity to establish rapport.
The front line management team is very helpful and supportive, but there's simply no vision at the top to try to take the company to a whole new level culturally and technologically. For tenured employees, who don't wish to go into management, there's not a lot of opportunities for development or compensation. If you're looking for a great company to learn this business, can thrive in a high-pressure environment, and get a lot of experience in a short period of time, then this is the place. If you plan to stay an adjuster long term, there's not a lot of value placed on tenure in terms of compensation or benefits.
Pros
Fantastic training and a sincere drive to serve the customer.
Cons
Poor work life balance, lack of vision for the future technologically and culturally. No value placed on tenure.
challenging, and self motivating
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 27, 2017
Working at progressive proved to be one of the most challenging careers I've ever had. The benefits are fantastic, and the company is amazing. The amount of training you receive is like none other, however the work is emotionally exhausting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progressive. Our community is ready to answer.

84%