Progressive Employee Reviews in United States

Workplace with an interesting dynamic
Claims Loss Reporting Rep (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, OhioAugust 24, 2015
The work environment seemed tense and times. We seemed to be generally understaffed. there were good benefits and competitive wages. My expectations were a lot different from when I started working and from when I ended my employment. I feel that there weren't many incentives to make employees want to work harder. Very numbers driven. Not enough opportunities for advancement.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough opportunities for advancement
great place to work if you have the right supervisor
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 20, 2015
I enjoyed working for Progressive, however, if I would have had more supportive coworkers and better management, the experience would have been much more enjoyable. The benefits and work/life balance were excellent.
Enjoyed my time at progressive
Customer Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2015
This is a basic call center environment. The employees are great, management is hit or miss, and the work/life balance has it's benefits. As for management, it is hit or miss when it comes to great, good, or mediocre. In my tenure, I had 5 managers. 1 was great, 2 were mediocre, and the final 2 were terrible. I found little opportunity for advancement and struggling employee morale. If you are looking for a job, this may be the place for you. If you are seeking a beneficial career, you might find a better place elsewhere.
Pros
Benefits, Gain sharing, employees.
Cons
limited work/life balance, limited advancement opportunity, inconsistent management standards.
Great company and surprisingly flexible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TxSeptember 8, 2015
Though I don't work at progressive any longer it was only because taking phone call after phone call of complaining customers was not for me. If that doesn't bother you or affect your mood then this company can be great to work for. They generally put off the atmosphere that they care about their employees and will work with you to make you comfortable. Even though I had to miss quite a bit of work, at one point. their holistic approach to absences and tardies allowed me to keep my position. Also, it pays better than other call centers I knew of and was easy to get several raises within just the first year. They have a lot of employee appreciation events, they try to keep it fun despite that fact you have to take lots of negative calls, and the training is second to none. Everyone who works there is generally pretty open to help you out. Hardest part of the job is handling call after call with only a 3 second break between calls. Enjoyable part was definitely the company and employees....oh yeah..I will miss gainshare!!
Pros
Pay, People, Bonuses, Free stuff, Food, Benefits
Cons
Breaks can be short for longer shifts, customers very negative
Family orientated office and atmosphere
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Taneytown, MDAugust 9, 2015
A typical day at work would be managing the claims processors and their daily activities. I would also interact with senior level management to assist each of them with tasks requested of me. Once I moved into the position of Medical Claims Adjuster, my main responsibility would be assisting customers that were injured in motor vehicle accidents by considering reimbursement of medical expenses if they sought treatment for injuries as well as consider reimbursement of lost wages if they were unable to work.
Pros
flexible hours, company and health benefits
Cons
micro-manage work by supervisors
productive learning expierence
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  mayfield heights, ohioOctober 15, 2015
I was very pleased with how I was easily taught how to work at a quick pace, and efficiently. The hours and benefits are great. Everyone is very nice on helping you learn their way of filing paper work. I am very lucky to have that expierence
Pros
excellent pay, excellent co workers, excellent hours
Cons
temporary position
Drink the Koolaid
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 4, 2015
Low pay, no raises
Heavy workload
Outdated systems, software and technology
Loss of company founder has greatly diminished work life in office.
Position is very technical and training lacks effectiveness
High burn out rate
Intro salary is not comparable to industry, fails to compensate!!!!!
Pros
you will be told its a geat place to work, open your eyes. Artwork is pleasing
Cons
100% of working in this company is a Real Con
Overall great company
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLJanuary 19, 2016
Progressive is a great company. The only reason I left is because when I started they were very lenient with schedule adjustments, you could submit to make your own schedule and they'd approve or disapprove but they'd at least make an attempt to work with you; after about a year and a few months in they arranged scheduling by production and it completely through off my work life balance, forcing me to leave. As far as dealing with the work flow, it was the average office's workflow. Lots of busy days but the managers are extremely supportive and I feel honored to have met some of the people I met while employed with the company. The company has great values.
Pros
Great, fair company
Cons
scheduling
Great comarade with co-workers
generalist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 14, 2015
Driving around the county, not chained to a desk. Great fellow workers and support. Learned how to plan my day, so as to save time. Hardest part of the job was settling injury claims. My favorite part was handling physical damage to vehicle and writing estimates.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very busy after snowstorms.
Heavy on Stats
Insurance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 18, 2016
I worked as a insurance consultant, or customer service rep. I was there for a little over a year. Progressive's culture is for the most part pretty good. They believe in a work home life balance and that I liked.
I also liked that you had all the time in the world to work with a customer. They did not care about your handle time.
What I didn't like was that Progressive is very stat heavy. Meaning that they really do not care about the quality of your call. They care more about how you do with the different cross selling they have for the company.
This got very annoying as time went by.
Progressive does give you a bonus check at the end of the year depending on how well you cross sell.
I never got any recognition on any of my good calls or compliments I got from a customer.
The calls never stopped.
Management said it was because of their high turn around.
Pros
No call time
Cons
Stat heavy
Great Place to work, Great training programs. I would still work for them if not for re-organisation and re-location of my department.
Claims compliance admin rep senior (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 29, 2015
I enjoyed my time with Progressive. well rounded Company. Good employees.
good benefits packages many choices.
Some management idea's on work flow can be old or need updating.
Good support for the claims representatives.
I would not have left the company but the avail jobs where not something I wanted to pursue.
Pros
friendly, good balance work/home life.
Cons
none. .
Be prepared for an unrealistic workload
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 13, 2016
Insurance claims in general is a difficult job. The job itself is not that challenging but the workload is unrealistic. The purpose of this review is not to vent but to educate on what to expect as a past employee. I have worked in 4 different offices during my time at Progressive and good management is the key. Regardless of which office you work in, the workload will always be a challenge. It helps when you work in an office where management understands your workload and puts you in the best place to succeed. My last office was not a very enjoyable place to work. There was a sense of pushing out the more tenured employees. It was no surprise to hear that numerous people after me had also quit. If you are interested in working in insurance I would get my experience with Progressive then move on to a better company. All of my friends appear to be a lot happier after they left.
Pros
the people
Cons
Unrealistic workload
Great training investment
Claims Generalist (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAMay 16, 2016
Typical day at work 8am - 5pm shift. Case reviews on auto accidents, driver and passenger interviews, auto damage assessment. Made liability determinations and negotiated price points with auto-body companies.

Learned personal injury and auto damage assessment.

Management: Team structure. Frequent quantitative and qualitative analysis for case work. Periodic meetings with team leader. Great support system.

Co-workers were fellow recent college graduates. Training trips to Phoenix Arizona provided fantastic bonding opportunities and cultivated team chemistry.

Hardest part of the job was tracking down uncooperative drivers.

Most enjoyable part of the job was supporting affected drivers and passengers through medical treatment and auto repair process.
Pros
On site gym with racket ball court.
daily
Licensed Agent (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 18, 2016
Answered inbound calls (heavy call volume) to assist customers with their personal lines account (auto, motorcycle, boat, umbrella, homeowners, etc.) i.e.- adding or deleting vehicles, taking payments, changing coverage's on their policy, underwriting, as well as gathering info from the Department Of Motor Vehicles of that
state. Also (during low call volume) I assisted with data entry work to process claims i.e.- insurance/vehicle information, medical records, police reports, auto shop
paperwork, etc. via computer or 10 key touch while maintaining all clerical/administrative work which also consisted of updating company files in alphabetical order by customer's name or policy number.
The goodness in working for this company depends on which state you work out of.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 20, 2016
This company has the potential of being an excellent company to work for with the exception of working under the managerial prejudisms in the Phoenix, Arizona office(s). Also this company does not offer a retirement package.
This company also discloses information of the actual job itself until you complete the training classes (if then at all). There was one practice that I found in this company that I have not seen in a long time. That was closing a blind eye to behaviors between employees that are all but desireable (it depends on who you know to get the dangling carrot).
Pros
Performance based scheduling
Cons
It's all about who you know
Typical Day on the Job
Collections Represenative (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDMay 22, 2016
A typical day at work started with logging onto the computer. From there, I proceeded to skip trace and contact debtors by phone to work out a payment arrangement. I would get an hour for lunch, then upon returning from lunch follow through with any appointments I had made for contact. Once that was completed, I would continue skip tracing and contacting people through telephone leaving messages for contact as needed. Once able to reach someone, I would advise them of the debt, and attempt to work out a payment arrangement.
Pros
Free Coffee. 1 hour lunches. Good benifits. Day Shift. Got most weekends Off.
Cons
Poor Economy, Very stressful, Impossible Job demands
Best job I have had
Rewards and Recognition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 25, 2015
Great benefits, great leadership. Best company I have ever worked for. I enjoyed coming to work everyday, it was just not a job it was a career with my family members
Pros
Reward & Recognition, Bonuses
Cons
No cons
Overall Progressive is a great company to work for.
IT Security Engineer Sr (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHNovember 11, 2015
Overall Progressive is a great company to work for. The company culture is a very positive one that empowers its employees with training, embraces diversity and believes in a work life balance. As with any large corporation there are pockets of mismanagement, but this does not overshadow the pros of working here.
Pros
Companyculture is a plus.
Cons
Some pockets of mismanagement and unrealistic expectations.
Very Stressful and Micromanaged
Central Claim Unit Representative (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Village, OHApril 13, 2016
a typical day at work was getting 12 of the same type of claim
they expect you to take 1 hour lunch as well as 1 hour to do other peoples work by handling their calls. they are very hard on giving overtime and it is a very stressful department. but expect you to get EVERYTHING done in 8 hours

i learned that handling claims isn't for everyone but it is doable if management wasn't always on your back

management is a 2 step process. supervisors press and press about "numbers" and then throw you under the bus every chance they get when upper management gets involved

co workers are amazing

the hardest part of the job is the workload. its non stop. have to do your own investigations, review police reports, chase people down and get cursed out and when it bothers you management could care less

the most enjoyable part of the job is the paycheck
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
workload, Managment, no room for advancement
This was a great and fair place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 3, 2016
It was a call center job. They expect you to answer the phone and to be available. They give you tons of tool to use to balance the work load and allow you to browse the web as long as you are not on a call. They use NICE to they can see what you are doing when on a call. They were a fair company to work for. They harder you work and better you get from them. You also get gainsharing. The better the company does the more money you get based on your salary. They go out of their way to treat the employees nicely. Their call volume can be really high at times. Co-workers are great. Management is fair.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progressive. Our community is ready to answer.