Progressive Employee Reviews

Things are changing for the worse
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 7, 2014
I have worked at progressive for 3 years and at first I love it. They were flexible with schedules, the calls were not back to back every single day, the benefits were great and the metrics were reasonable. Now they keep adding new metrics every 6 months or so and they do not increase your pay. I'm sorry but to me more work=more pay is a very simple concept. WE LITERALLY HAVE HUNDREDS of calls in cue everyday with only a few seconds in between because of acw and again no pay increase. Furthermore they have a holistic approach that is not consistent between supervisors. They do try to keep employees happy by giving us little incentives but they used to treat their employees better and care less about money. Now everything is all about money and less about employees and customers. Even really tenured people are tired of the stress we are being put through. Progressive should have been hiring more people awhile ago and they should have gave people better schedules coming in. Their forecasting is way off and is completely irresponsible. My love for progressive has quickly turned to regret, disappointment and hate. I'm going to leave very soon as I suspect many others will also. I'm a reasonable person but I am not a robot.
Pros
cafeteria, gym, game rooms, and sleep rooms on site.
Cons
they are making a lot of changes at once and all they care about now is profit
Overall Balanced Workplace I have Enjoyed it so far
Customer Service Representative and Processor (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CANovember 21, 2013
overall great place to work. cant really complain about much. I have a good relationship with my supervisor and leadership is generally pretty involved in development. You do get little perks like gift cards and rewards and recognition programs are available. Everyone who works here is actually pretty nice. Potlucks all the time and there are always little work events. They really do try to make it a fun enjoyable place to work. The job itself is a lot at first but everything becomes second nature. As with any call center... its their way or the highway. However compared to stories I have heard about other corporate call centers, Progressive is actually very reasonable. They do want quality and efficiency but you do get time to assist with callers and not to rush the off the phone. You are micromanaged, but not to the point of madness. I suppose people have been fired for not developing or meeting their targets etc... but you do get a good amount of time to change your ways. Leadership tries to develop you to get you past your challenge rather than just letting you go.
Pros
no average handle time limit, great benefits, nice coworkers, always provided new training, supervisor very involved in development, onsite gym and cafeteria, somewhat flexible schedule
Cons
pay is ok, takes forever to get schedule change approved
Built great friendships
Managed Repair Representative (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJanuary 20, 2015
I concentrated on analyzing case facts and related claim information to determine accurate and appropriate compensations while providing excellent customer service. Negotiated with attorneys, witnesses, police officers and claimants in order to settle various claims outside of court. Most of my responsibility revolved around repair shop relations in three large territories within King County. Supervise customers repair processes at network shops as well as non-network repair facilities in assigned territory.

Amazing coworkers- become family. I loved going to work everyday to see my friends. They bent over backwards to help me. My coworkers wanted to see me succeed. There is unbelievable teamwork and work ethic in the office. Employees truly care about their work product, treat the customers with respect and want to give the best service they can.

The job could be great if it wasn't for the workload. You are so overworked it becomes unhealthy. You are given an unrealistic workload that is nearly impossible to be successful at unless you skip meals and bring your work home or stay late and come in early every day. The expectations are high. I'm healthy and happy again since I left. It was the most difficult and best choice I've made for my family.
Pros
great friendships
Cons
unrealistic workload
A good place to work and enhance interpersonal skills
Insurance Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAFebruary 10, 2013
A typical day for me is to leave from my residence at about 7:00 a.m. to travel to my first inspection. I usually travel about 45 minutes to 1 hour from my house to my first inspection. I am responsible for territory east to south-east of Des Moines, however, I travel wherever I am needed. I have worked for Progressive for over 12 years, and I have been a dedicated employee, serving several positions to include Managed Repair Representative, Injury Specialist, and Team Leader. I was just recognized for my rating of "Excellent" in customer service, and I feel my rapport with our customers is one of my most important assets. I have learned that respect and courtesy are paramount in customer relations. I get along well with my fellow employees and I have made many good friends within the company. The hardest part of the job can be driving in treacherous conditions. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people through a difficult ordeal, and leaving them with a high satisfaction from the experience. Having been in management myself, I know how challenging it can be to balance the needs of the company against the wants and personalities of the employees. I have learned, again, that respect in dealing with people, along with getting a "buy in" on the goals of the company are key in producing positive results.
Pros
working with people i like
Cons
treacherous road conditions during inclement weather
Former Employee
claims generalist (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 27, 2012
If you are at a point in life where you are primarily career driven, Progressive is certainly a great stomping ground! They provide excellent training, compensation is competitive, and they provide 24 hour access to work... LOL... If long hours aren't an issue and work-life balance isn't a priority, it will be a good fit. The work load is ridiculous for trainees, but with time you'll find your system that makes it more manageable (if you can hang).

On the contrary, if work-life balance is of the utmost importance (and you still care about your work product), you may want to consider a job that is not as demanding. It is a great company, but definitely not for everyone. They are very customer driven (which is admirable) but can often be taxing on employees.

I have experienced that working at Progressive for a respectable length of time is really a huge win on your resume, because they are HIGHLY revered for their training, talent recognition, and optimal claims handling. If you can do well at Progressive, you can do well anywhere!

As for the people - I worked in 2 different offices... In one, the people were amazing - the other was very stuffy. The overall company's culture is very laid back. No drug tests.... so lots of people sitting on cloud 9 :)

Hope this helps... happy searching :)
Pros
opens many professional opportunities
Cons
not for everyone - heavy volume
Great compensation and a fun, positive environment
Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 27, 2015
Starting out at this company, I immediately noticed the positive atmosphere. People were smiling and welcoming. Training was a blast and the people on my team were just phenomenal. Once you actually start taking phones, things change. There are many monthly and weekly metrics you must make on top of taking 70-120 calls a day. Most of these calls were dealing with company or other service consultant's mistakes. The call volume is always back to back no matter what day it is, and if you do have a slow day, they send all of the early shifts home so the call volume goes right back up. Most of your phone calls are very irate customers and rate increases. The company is more worried about selling their products rather than providing excellent customer service. Selling products to irate customers proved to be a very difficult and high stress level task. This job is not for everyone. Most people quit within 6 months, and most of those people either walked out, or just never came back. There was some sort of systems issue almost every single day which made it very difficult to do your job. If you like a call center atmosphere, and high call volume, I would definitely consider this company.
Pros
Gym, cafeteria, compensation and benefits, rewards and recognition
Cons
VERY high call volume, high stress level, system issues, outdated software, low morale
claims
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Schiller ParkDecember 17, 2013
A typical day- Claim comes in you have two hours to contact all parties involved to get facts of case. You are responsible for complete file ownership. You may also have to go to body shops to right estimates, or send customers to service center for vehicle repairs.

What you Learn- How to estimate property damage, investigation skills, file creation as well as negotiation.

Management- Is somewhat of a mixed bag. When i started out i had a very inexperienced team leader who basically said the words i have no idea almost as a mantra. In a lot of ways i feel like it slowed my growth, because she could never help me through any challenging situations. but once i moved to a different manager i finally started to grow somewhat and prosper. However, there was not a lot of diversity within management and it showed when it came time for promotions. In my 5 years there through different departments and even programs and training's i did in different states i met absolutely 2 minority people in any form of management or decision making position.

Co-workers- Usually you worked in such close proximity and that it was sort of an family atmosphere. we worked together well and there was often a comfortable environment.
Claims Adjuster- North Texas
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richardson TXJanuary 4, 2013
I worked for Progressive for 7 years. I came from an entirely different industry and Progressive gave me a chance to create a new career. Working claims is a horrible job in many aspects and certainly not for everyone. The work is never ending, and numbers/metrics are expected by every company. The whole thing is just idiotic- for example: work in a hospital emergency room never ends either, but at the end of a shift, doctors and nurses GO HOME and, to my knowledge, are not chastised for not having certain timing per patient, or completing tasks on a certain number of patients. That said, if you do choose a life in claims, and are lucky enough to be at Progressive, please do not make the mistake I did and think the grass is greener! It is not. I greatly regret leaving Progressive, and the only positive thing I learned by leaving is to appreciate what I had. There is more work/life balance than elsewhere, and adjusters are treated more like people instead of robots than at other insurance companies. However, if you still decide to give up your job, and you are in the Richardson office, I am happy to take your seat. I would never leave again!
Pros
slightly more work/life balance than other similar companies, gainshare bonus for all employees
Cons
insurance claims is just a bad job in general. it is made this way by the companies, not the customers.
As far as call centers go, it's probably one of the best.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 6, 2014
Progressive does most things right as far as how it expects employees to interface with customers. Call handling is not a time metric used for your performance, Progressive expects you to solve the customer's problem completely without them having to call back, so that is the largest metric used.

You have a comfortable level of autonomy in decision making once you have some tenure, and whenever Progressive DOES make a mistake, you're able to use powerful resources to get it corrected, including rush refunds to bank accounts, which is nice when dealing with irate customers.

The work load is heavy and taxing at times, and doesn't seem to be getting any better, however, this does provide a comfortable level of job security, as a frontline rep would have to do a world of wrong to be let go.

The management culture is fairly bad. Second tier and beyond are very aloof from the day in, day out job. None of them actually take calls or interact with customers but have very specific ideas about how you should be doing it yourself, often times very impractical and baffling.
Pros
decent pay, good job security, good benefits, relaxed environment
Cons
aloof management with unrealistic goals, arbitrary system limitations that frustrate rep and customer
Claims Adjuster
Claims Adjuster Trainee (Former Employee) –  NortheastApril 12, 2012
Several years ago, this was a great organization to work for. You worked hard and were rewarded with little perks (i.e., outings, bonus, etc.) and th environment at work was close to a family. The team was cohesive and helped each other achieve goals, which were then celebrated. However, due to major restructuring of management and claims positions, and change to more lean concepts, the workplace has become extremely difficult to succeed in. Employees are expected to keep up with an increasingly high claim volume, and if you cannot, they will find a way to let you go/push you out the door, and will consistently look over your shoulder and put pressure on to achieve better results. Then, they expect you to pick up the slack for employees who are let go for poor performance. Also, major changes to benefits made health insurance horrible. This would be an OK job for someone out of college who can put in crazy hours to gain experience, but not for anyone looking for work-life balance or ability to move up in the company.
Pros
good starting salary out of college, gain share/bonus is great
Cons
45-60 hour week expected, poor mgmt support, poor work-life balance, health insurance is horrible, revolving door job due to unrealistic expectations
Progressive Insurance Riverview
Agecny Contact (Former Employee) –  Riverview FloridaMarch 13, 2012
Its been proven they have management and HR people leave positive comments about the company on sites like this. I worked for Progressive for ten years.... Don't be fooled. Talk to anyone walking out of the building how they feel about their constant nonstop workload and get a REAL opinion on working for Progressive. Walk into that office any day and you'll see tvs up on the wall showing how many people are on hold and how busy it is with green being light workload and red being nonstop headache having constant call after call. It is now ALWAYS lit up bright red. They even added something called GAP DAYS. On Gap Days they want you on the phone ALL DAY. Good luck having a chance going to the bathroom much less breathing with how busy it gets. Word is they had a GAP WEEK all last week. Its incredible to me how Progressive used to be a somewhat decent place to work for with reasonable workload before and now how they've taken advantage of the economy going bad and turned their workers into constant work load slaves. They've not only added more work but lowered pay...Hey someone has to pay for those obnoxious Flo commercials.
Pros
location
Cons
way, too, many, to, list

Comment – March 20, 2012

Are you doing the job that is posted claims adjuster trainee? or working in a call center?

Great company and surprisingly flexible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TxSeptember 8, 2015
Though I don't work at progressive any longer it was only because taking phone call after phone call of complaining customers was not for me. If that doesn't bother you or affect your mood then this company can be great to work for. They generally put off the atmosphere that they care about their employees and will work with you to make you comfortable. Even though I had to miss quite a bit of work, at one point. their holistic approach to absences and tardies allowed me to keep my position. Also, it pays better than other call centers I knew of and was easy to get several raises within just the first year. They have a lot of employee appreciation events, they try to keep it fun despite that fact you have to take lots of negative calls, and the training is second to none. Everyone who works there is generally pretty open to help you out. Hardest part of the job is handling call after call with only a 3 second break between calls. Enjoyable part was definitely the company and employees....oh yeah..I will miss gainshare!!
Pros
Pay, People, Bonuses, Free stuff, Food, Benefits
Cons
Breaks can be short for longer shifts, customers very negative
Good Training and Benefits
Claims Investigator (Former Employee) –  RichardsonMay 24, 2013
•a typical day at work
You are typically on the phone from the time you sit down at your desk addressing assigned claims. You resolve coverage and liability and set up for vehicle inspections with the outside adjuster. You have a 1 hr. lunch break. Then you spend your time making contacts or setting up inspections. Both of these are numbers driven.
•what you learned: Obtained skills in writing estimates on cars, trucks, motorcycles and watercrafts. Learned how to interpret/apply policy language (per company rules and state laws) and the laws that govern insurance.
•management: overall, friendly and supportive but on occasion evasive.
•your co-workers: warm friendly, helpful, funny and supportive.
•the hardest part of the job: Based too much on numbers and metrics and not open to listening to ideas that would make the jobs more efficient.
•the most enjoyable part of the job: Co-workers are supportive, they don't job, open environment for various races, ethnics groups, nationalities and excellent benefits.
Pros
great holiday parties, pot-lucks, nice rewards
Cons
unreasonable workloads, no considerations of ones time for family matters.
Productive great atmosphere they actually did have a ping pong table in the cafeteria
Solid sales background (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2012
Progressive was an excellent company to work for.I stayed from age 20 to 34.I had great medical benefits,401k,profit sharing and wonderful managers and coworkers.The most enjoyable part of my job was when they approved me to start working from home.I had a 4 day work week,my work days were split shifts too.working from home saved me $200.00 pr month not having to purchase fuel to drive into the office. Although that was nice it was also one of the hardest parts of my job,not having any interaction with anyone i got lonley working at home.Iwould have to say the hardest part of my job was finding ways to manipulate the systems to do what i needed them to do,things the sales software was not designed to do for the purpose of a rewrite and to cut down on processing and underwriting time. But I am resourceful and would always figure it out.
Pros
4day work week split shifts full medical dental 401k profit sharing
Cons
my system would crash alot sometimes causing me to totally redo something i have almost f
Relaxed company, stressful calls
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLOctober 23, 2014
First off, they do not drug test ever. This made no difference to me, but I know a lot of people can't find a decent paying job that doesn't do this. Don't show up messed up though, that'll be the last time you do. You get 10min after clocking in to prep yourself for the day, then you get a 45min lunch and two 15min breaks. You also get bathroom time and other such things, but they watch those and encourage you to take care of that on breaks. Management was really nice actually. My boss was super friendly and we would laugh and tell stories. You don't get much time to talk with co-workers and your supervisors though. 90% of your time is on phones. You do get to decide when your breaks and lunches are though. Hardest part for me was the escalated calls. Not many people call their insurance company happy. The most enjoyable was how they knew you were stressed and would do their best to make it a good environment for you. The pay was nice too.
Pros
longer lunches, nice break rooms, elevators
Cons
stressful calls and no time between calls to vent
Employee friendly environment, Progressive culture
Combined Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 21, 2014
The typical day at work for me is primarily focused on customer service, were I take inbound phone calls regarding our insured's policies. The general questions are concerning billing, or adding vehicles and numerous other policy changes. This involves using many search databanks, and guidelines are written separately for each state, so this requires fast reading, extensive knowledge of computer use and savvy customer service abilities.
The management is extremely knowledgable, and they are always willing to coach on new laws or company requirements.
Like most office complexes, my co-workers are from all different backgrounds, representing many beliefs and cultures. One of the great things about Progressive is the company encourages this diversity.
The hardest part of the job, and often the most rewarding, is servicing customers who need help understanding the policy they have, or folks who are upset over a change the company or industry has made. This leads into the most enjoyable part of the job, genuinely satisfying a customer.
Pros
many giveaways, encouraging supervisors
Cons
little growth opportunities
Looks good on paper
Claims Adjuster Sr (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Progressive, looks great on paper, the co-workers are all great, but the work life balance is not that great. As a Claims Adjuster in the call center you will have one day during the week off and one day during the weekend off, not back to back. For Example, you will be off Saturday and off Wednesday. Not much time for "life."

Workload - Turn them and burn them. you will average 12-16 claims per day, and will need to answer phone time.

Training - Training people are awesome but once you are on the floor. It will depend on your Manager how they coach and train you. It is not across the board and every Manager is different. Just like Corporate right? Yes, however, when they change you from one Manager, where you are doing great and have awesome stats and customer service survey, then switch you to another that is incompetent, your stats go down and their coaching needs coaching

Work environment - "Do as I say" mentality, need I say more?

employees are always complaining about the work load, the special treatment towards certain employees, shift bids, scheduling, and their Managers, except a couple of good ones. I only know of one good one.

As a former Supervisor myself, this place needs some Management training.
Pros
employees
Cons
management
Current Employee trying to leave
Claims (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDNovember 8, 2012
I have worked at Progressive for sometime, and I must say that I am not satisfied at all with the direction the company is going in. I work in a unit where the manager can't manage and cries (literaly) about everything. There is no direction or anything. It is so disfunctional. The work load is ridiculous and then on top of that they tell you they understand but slap more work on your plate. It is very stressful and if it weren't for being a mom, I would have walked out. People are leaving the company left and right to our competitors because the atmosphere is terrible. The morale is down and the dread of going to work is constant. The company itself isn't bad, but it's the people you have running it that makes you hate it. They say the grass isn't always greener or the other side, but I truly regret leaving my past employer to come work here....Good luck to anyone who's thinking about pursuing a career with Progressive..Oh by the way, there aren't many opportunities for advancement, so if you are looking for a career, Progressive isn't the place to go.
Pros
gainshare, location
Cons
management; poor pay; terrible health benefits; no growth
Not a good place to work, nice people, awful managers
Loss Assignor (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAMarch 21, 2013
Not a good place to work. I was hired as a Loss Assignor and during my interview, I was told I'd have a set of specific job duties, once I started working, boom, here come 7-8 more things that I'll be expected to do. Once I was on the job for about 2 weeks, my manager changed my work hours and didn't even ask me if this would work with my "work-life balance", just do it. I finally gave notice at the Spokane office after working there about 6 weeks, I couldn't stand my manager anymore or her too-close relationship with the employee that was assigned to show me the ropes, I felt like I had 2 over-bearing managers and not just one. The final straw for me was when I let my manager know that I needed more one-on-one training and she told me no. You tell me no more training when training was discussed quite a bit during my interview and I was assured that I would be provided with lots of training, that that is the Progressive way? Well, I'm outta there once you've proven yourself to be liars over and over again.
Pros
didn't have to clock in/out
Cons
too many to count, needless to say i'm thrilled i left!
Working with the general public provided reward with customer service
Sr Commercial Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Northwest statesFebruary 24, 2015
Job required allot of travel requiring proper planning to achieve time lines set by the company. Standard set same for all field reps despite miles traveled.

I was able to obtain a better understanding of coverage, obtain additional training for frame repair along with other helpful skills needed to provide quality service.

Through the course of employment managers changed frequently and with each new manager required a new process for claims resolution per managers understanding.

Co-Workers depended allot on my knowledge of trucks, trailer and equipment and tried to be available for support and help along with training of four new filed adjusters.

hardest part of the job was trying to find a home life balance with traveling on an average of 4k miles per month.

Enjoyment. Once a year the group, region had a meeting along with fun events. Spending in person time with each person brought everyone closer as a unit.
Pros
ability to meet new people provide them with a better understanding about coverage and service.
Cons
not having a work life balance and support from managers when needed.