Project For Pride In Living

Project For Pride In Living Employer Reviews

Fun workplace, engaging, freedom to try new things
ABE VOLUNTEER TUTOR COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: decent pay, flexibility, positive workplace, fun people, challenging
Cons: not enough jobs! too many americorps positions and no real ones.
I tutored adults and it was very rewarding. I still keep in touch with them. I would still be at this job if I hadn't been hired only as a temp. The worst thing about PPL is that they don't have enough job openings!
I also think they should put their offices on-site of their housing for greater ease of residents, since people never remembered when we – more... were going to have programs. – less
No Accountability for Management
teacher (Former Employee), MinneapolisJuly 19, 2013
Pros: great colleagues
Cons: management was not held accountable
I worked for a year at one of PPL's schools. I loved to work with the students and my colleagues were great. Unfortunately, management was not. Time and again we were told to do one thing by the director and then she would change her mind without explanation. We were only observed once during the year, and while the school had a strict "zero tolerance" – more... policy for drugs, gangs, and foul language, some students got away with everything and my predecessor had three seasons of "Gangland" in our video cabinet, which he showed on a weekly basis.
Teaching conditions were not ideal, with only plastic folding doors separating our classrooms. When I suggested that it might be a good idea to find a solution that would allow for better sound-proofing, the director said that this was not really a problem. (It was, especially during testing.)
At the end of the year, out of a total of seven newly hired teachers, only three remained. I was not offered a new contract, since "there were observations made that I did not get along with my students." I don't know who made the observations, but my students were very upset when they found out I would not be back. In terms of teacher turnover, that was actually a good year for the school. The manager who supervised the schools for PPL knew about the problems, but he had no backbone and would not do anything about it. – less
productive and fun place to work
Caretaker (Current Employee), New Hope, MNDecember 10, 2012
Pros: free scholarship for kids
Cons: shorts breaks
a typical work day is very good. work at own pace while the job is done.
Important nonprofit doing important work.
Program Intern (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 28, 2012
I valued the time I spent as an intern at PPL. I was inspired by their mission and the work they did in the community. I also think this internship helped me further develop my skills and increase my confidence level.