PROMISE HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Could be better
Unit Secretary/Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 24, 2016
Nice people to work with!!! Place could use new management!!! Learned some new things here, but could use some improving!!!
the people you meet
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXOctober 19, 2016
was a really good place to work and meeting new people i love helping people and making them feel better most of learning how to do different things.
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
work short hours
Good environment
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLSeptember 3, 2016
This was a very friendly and clean environment. But i noticed that some nurses did not pay a lot of attention to their patients. Although they did teach us a lot and let us do the skills we could do, but some only needed our help if they did not want to do something. It would be a good place to work but i particularly wouldnt work here.
excellent
Per Diem Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 30, 2016
I loved it there. The staff and care from the nurses to the patients was wonderful with such a challenging population. I enjoyed working for the Rehab director as she was very helpful and considerate with her orientation. I learned a lot about medicine at this facility, and I only left due to the travel distance from home.
billing office is no longer located in Louisiana
BILLING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 15, 2016
Business office was relocated to Florida. 10 people lost their jobs after many years of dedicated service. Raises were not give the last 4 years of employment.
Impressive
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 12, 2016
Challanging but rewarding environment to work in.
Supportive management. Good coworkers. Completely dedicated to excellence in patient care. Strong training, emphasis on Team. Love my job.
Pros
Teamwork in a supportive environment dedicated to excellence in patient care.
Cons
Taking call once a month mandatory
Deceptive Organization
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 3, 2016
I work at the San Diego Campus of Promise Hospital. As a registered nurse, I must say that I have never seen such poor patient care. The Coporate Office in Florida only cares about the bottom line. Apparently, we were all told that the CEO of the company wanted to sell this hospital long ago, and because of that...he did not want to invest money. Well, that has lead to countless equipment failures and even patient safety threats. Even today, the patients at this hospital are not cared for at a level remotely close to other hospitals in the area. The nursing staff are all new graduates or foreign nurses, with very little experience. Management is constantl changing, and even the CNO was rehired again, after being initially terminated approximately 3 years ago. This is truly a very dysfunctional organization to work for.
Pros
Running Water
Cons
Wages, HR Practices, Leadership needs cleansing
family orientated envirnoment, team player attitudes, great benefits
LVN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2016
promise hospital is a great place to work, Pay is very good. The building is old, but the staff is great and welcoming. The company is great to there employees and have great benefits. I miss Promise hospital being in houston. The management at that time is like family
Cons
another company took over
Great Place of Employment
Certified Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 27, 2016
Great place to work. Management works well with home life. Patients are great. If you love a small hospital work environment this is the place for you.
High stressed and fast paced environment
Monitor vitals and provide assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, FLDecember 17, 2015
Patient care to involve bathing and strict repositioning of patients that are unable to move. Monitor vitals and patients wellbeing. Working under the direction of the LPN and RN. Assist with wound care, ambulating patients and charting. The patient acuity is high and very demanding. Most are on IV therapy, have wound vacs or on ventilators.
Pros
Great team work environment. Take pleasure in providing good care to patients.
Cons
Long hours, typically 12/13 hour shifts. Short breaks if any, Rarely have weekends or holidays off.
Intern Position
Physical Assistant INTERN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 16, 2015
At Promise Hospital I was an intern in the physical therapy department. I assisted and worked alongside of Occupational Therapists to help patients who were bed rested gain back their independence and strength. We would have a set of patients that we would have to see for the day and help groom them and get out the bed and go to the gym and exercise. Some of the patients were more sick than others, and some were unable to make it to the gym so we would exercise with them in their room when necessary. I loved my co-workers and the professionals I had the opportunity to work with. I had to complete a 120 hour internship in a medical facility in order to graduate from school, and I also got hired with " hire-a-youth" and since I was already interning at Promise hospital I got paid for my volunteer work through hire-a-youth for a summer internship. It wasn't about the money for me but I really enjoyed working at that facility, I felt like I was a nurse when I walked out the hospital.
Pros
co-workers and the holiday parties
Cons
it was only an internship
Great place
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  East Los Angeles, CAOctober 26, 2015
Very good teaching hospital for students. They teach you how to perform all kinds of skills that a respiratory is required. Workers are great and friendly.
promise
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  san diegoOctober 2, 2015
There is no "typical day" as the poster above states. LOL

Shift change report at the bedside, with eyeballing the patients quickly to see if there are any immediate needs

Patients are prioritized. Patients with trachs and patients reporting pain, or who are unstable in any way are prioritized first. If there are none of the above, I go systematically in order of room doing head to toe assessments, turning and repositioning. By the 3rd or 4th patient it's usually time to pass medications.

Depending on tech support, I'll also pass breakfast trays about this time.

By 10:00 meds and assessments should be done, and if all is well, and there are no new orders I will either chart, or do treatments, such as dressing changes, trach care, central line care, changing IVs, getting patients out of bed who don't have physical therapy, and bedbaths depending on the CNA situation, etc. etc. etc.

Between noon and 1pm I'll eat lunch myself. Never ever do I skip lunch, but timing is variable.

Twice a week there are interdisciplinary rounds with social work, pt, ot, dietary, etc. at which I'll report on my patients.

I might have a discharge or two, an admit or two, someone coming and going to surgery. Teaching is very important during this time.

Working trauma there is an endless amount of narcotic pain control issues, as well as just medicating them (some patients every hour).

I will try to have all of my bedside charting and computer charting done by 3pmish, but'ts that's only a goal, that is the least of my worries, although the sooner things get charted the better.
  more... I try to chart dressings, treatments, etc. as I do them.
On and on and on until 7pm.

This is a med-surg trauma nurse in a hospital. I'm sure I've lefts stuff out.
Productive, Friendly environment
Acute Care CNA (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2015
I was only with Promise hospital for a short while, for clinical practice and study; But my time with them has not only been beneficial to my time as a health care employee, but very memorable.

The staff in most sections all seem to get along, and have the general concept of "Teamwork", and the fact that we on the health care team are all on the same side. And even those who are not directly involved in health care still play a part.

Everyone seemed more than happy to help each other learn and understand, and even strangers and newcomers to the team(s) were quickly welcomed and briefed on all that was going on and needed to know.

As far as I've heard everyone was decently compensated, and even had assistance with career advancement, and goals.

Far as I can tell, its a good place to work, with a non-toxic environment that is so commonplace in other smaller 'care centers'.
Worked with adults who had mental health issues.
Treatment Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2015
Provided case management, individual and group therapy.
I learned that those with mental health issues are sometimes misunderstood and disrespected by the system.
Management was good. Received lots of affirmations from my supervisor.
Most challenging part of the job was assisting clients who took meds that made them sleepy.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting clients who wanted to become active in the community regardless of any disabilities.
Pros
Assisting clients in the development of life skills.
Cons
Feeling helpless with clients who could not stay awake during group meetings.
Fast pace
Facilities Building Engineer (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CAAugust 20, 2015
My job was to ensure that all call tickets were completed in a timely manner. It was ensure the safety of patients and hospital personnel.
Pros
Great food
Cons
No benefits
atmospheric wonderful
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 30, 2015
Rehab facility that is worth getting care from. The staff is very considering there, they work hard to complete a task. It was an experience not just for the family but the entire family.
Busy work days but loved my patients
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oxford, FLJuly 27, 2015
This job started out great where I loved going to work. I learned some new skills, such as how to place picc lines, and everyone worked as a team. The days were steady and busy but patient care flowed well and I looked forward to seeing my patients and co workers each day. The job became difficult as they fired management constantly and replaced them over and over with different people. Everything became more strict and everyone walked on egg shells. The rules would change almost on a daily basis at times and it became not only difficult to work there but also terrible. I no longer looked forward to going to work. Co worker's attitudes changed for the worse and no one got along as well or had fun working together anymore. It became a hostile environment where you felt you couldn't do anything right. No one was on the same page and there were constant meetings to tell staff everything they were doing wrong. The job I loved became the job I dreaded. My patients were still my focus, however, and I was able to get through each day because of them. They were the real reason I was there and as long as I did my best for them I left each day feeling good.
Pros
learned new skills and loved my co workers and the patients I cared for
Cons
lots of micro management and lack of organization, not everyone on the same page
They had an excellent cafeteria with a salad bar.
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Nederland, TXMay 15, 2015
Staff is not friendly and they do not work well together. They need to respect and take the CNA's serious when they report changes in patients. The hospital need a program to keep staff from getting lacks and to keep the moral up.
Pros
Pay well.
Cons
Work slow to none. When the hospital is full of patients, the staff is short.
Laid Back, fun working environment
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 23, 2015
Promise Hospital is a very laid back hospital. It is not a big hospital, so majority of the relationships become personal. The employees for the most part are very nice and friendly. It is really a nice place to be an employee of.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Only one full time position in phlebotomy