PromiseShip Employee Reviews

Very fun work place.
Program Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 1, 2017
I love the company, the job can be very stressfull. Its a great team building enviroment. They take care of their employees. They give back to the staff and the community.
Essential work with community, children, and families
Director of Permanency (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 20, 2017
Nebraska Families Collaborative offers child welfare professionals the opportunity to work with proven leaders, models, and practices to ensure safety, permanency, and wellbeing for children and families. NFC has become an integral part of the community they serve and is a leader in the field of child welfare and social advocacy. The agency has done a lot of work to improve opportunities for social workers. While child welfare case management is demanding, working at NFC you feel part of a collective team who all work towards the same goals.
Pros
excellent benefits, improve outcomes for children and families
Nfc
Family Permanency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 16, 2017
This is doing the ongoing case management for the Department of Health and Human Services. This is helping families reunite with their children. Accessing resources in the community.
Love working at Nebraska Families Collaborative
CQI (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 31, 2017
I have worked in child welfare for 20 years, and this is by far the best organization I have ever worked for. The culture is one of learning, growth, excellence and overall commitment to the mission of keeping children and families safe and thriving. I have worked for NFC for over 3 years and have no plans to leave. I am able to generally achieve a positive life/work balance and I am greatly supported in this. I remain committed to NFC to contribute to the success of the organization. I love the people I work with and work for.
Pros
Benefits, growth opportunities
Difficult, highly stressful place to work
Family Permanency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 30, 2017
The work load is highly imbalanced--some people have cases that require 12 hour work days and some people have cases that require little work. Upper leadership seems oblivious and unable to rectify this phenomenon. I witnessed some employees working 10 hrs daily and others simply going home when their supervisor wasn't around (on the clock of course, there are some corrupt people there), if that gives you an idea of how badly imbalanced the workload is among employees. It is impossible to manage the amount of work in 40 hours, but you are reprimanded for going into OT. The upper management displays poor leadership and lack of awareness of what's going on in the trenches--the work load is insane for the amount you're paid. However the benefits are VERY good--if you need insurance you should consider working here. The burn out rate is very high, although perhaps it wouldn't be if the work load was evenly distributed. Few people I spoke to in my time there had a positive thing to say about their job. This is the type of job that will take over your life and negatively impact your health if you're a good worker who tries to do their best. I had people in the community, such as foster parents and lawyers, warn me off the job when I started, which says a lot about what a toxic environment it is. You will put a massive amount of wear/tear on your vehicle. If you meet with your families like you're supposed to (although some don't, again corrupt people do exist here but that's anywhere) expect to drive 30k-40k miles per year. However, the mid-level supervisors from what I saw are supportive,  more... helpful, and want the best for their workers. The company has perks such as free food and dog therapy. I think the issues stem from far too many cases for each worker, but the company seemingly hasn't discovered how to solve this issue. Beware, you are a social worker in this position despite the title the company uses. And all the stereotypes you hear about social workers--overworked, underpaid, unmanageable cases, etc. applies. I would NOT recommend this job to anyone unless you are in need of good health insurance.  less
Pros
Great benefits, cool perks
Cons
Stressful, workload, no work/life balance
Great place to work if you like working hard.
Family Permanency Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 20, 2017
This is a fast past environment that requires a great deal of skills and heart. Community is a big part of the success of Nebraska Families Collaborative.
Wonderful place to work, extraordinary mission.
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68164June 27, 2017
I wouldn't trade my time with NFC for anything. The work atmosphere was fun and productive with a tremendous sense of teamwork. All levels of management are very supportive and down to earth. I had never before worked anywhere that the CEO and COO would stop in the hall just to chat for a minute with anyone, regardless of their position. Everyone is treated with respect and courtesy. The most enjoyable part of my time there was definitely my team members. We were able to have fun in the office while being productive.
No work/life balance, little to no training, management was impossible to work with, long hours
Utilization Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 9, 2017
You are constantly expected to take on more work and still get everything in on time. Your work goes unnoticed unless you make a mistake. There is no work life balance. If you need help from a supervisor they are never around. Expectations/standards are different for every person.
benefits
Cons
no breaks, long hours, no flexibility, your hard work is unappreciated, negative work environment
Do not recommend applying.
FPS (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 24, 2017
Stressful environment, employees are routinely underappreciated, exceedingly high turnover rate, lack of support from most supervisors, culture of assigning blame to other employees of the company. Great benefits though.
Great people; limited opportunities
Kinship Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 27, 2017
NFC has a great culture of dynamic and ambitious people who care for the welfare of the families they work for. There is family feel to the company that transcends various departments. The CEO of the company is a leader who has great intentions and really puts all his heart into the organization. The benefits are also a reason many people add to their pros list for this agency.

The deficits of this agency however are that there are few to no opportunities for advancement. Additionally, often staff who have great skills are underappreciated and therefore underutilized. There is a focus on general agency stats above setting independent goals and recognition for staff. Lastly,due to the agency having to renew state contracts in order to remain the main privatized child welfare agency, there is lessened job security at times.
Pros
The people, the CEO, the benefits
Cons
lack of opportunities for advancement, lack of individual recognition, job security
Amazing
Family Permanency Specialist (FPS) (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 14, 2017
Loved working for this company. Insurance was great and the structure of the company was well though out. Many supports.
Pros
Great pay and great staff members
Cons
Long hours some days.
Nebraska Families Collaborative is making a positive difference in our community!
former employee (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NebraskaJuly 8, 2016
Working with struggling children and families in our community is challenging work. Nebraska Families Collaborative is an agency that is up to this challenge. The leadership and staff see this as an opportunity to partner with families, providers and the overall community to make life long changes that will enable children and families to find permanency, be safe, healthy and strong. During my employment with Nebraska Families Collaborative I learned what permanency looks like for children and that is the driving force for the crucial work this agency does. If you want to be part of an agency that is making a difference in our community, who are thoughtful about the work they do, who are innovative about the way they do the work and who are striving to make it a great place to work, you should consider a career with Nebraska Families Collaborative!
Pros
Committed, caring leadership and staff, great benefits, pay
Cons
work-life balance
Great experience with great people!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 3, 2016
Any job done well in Child Welfare is going to be stressful. The mission of NFC is strengthening communities to ensure all Nebraska's children and families are healthy and thriving. That is no small feat, and the people at NFC work very hard each day, striving for excellence.

This work requires great support from co-workers and management. NFC is an environment focused on collaboration, building strong teams, and coaching talented leaders. There are numerous opportunities for professional development, both formal and informal. The agency also encourages team development so that co-workers can learn to support each other through challenges.

The people who work for NFC are driven and mission focused. It's an incredible place to work, whether you're just starting your career, looking to make a change, or advancing. You have to be ready to work hard, but there is support all around to learn to balance home and work and to organize the work to make your days more productive. There is also a mechanism to provide input and feedback into strategies that could improve the work environment for staff, given the stress they are under.

NFC is a place where you can go to work, find your support system, make a difference, and feel good about what you did when you go home for the night. The job will never be "complete", but everything you do will be important to someone. Not many places can say that.
Pros
Great benefits, flexibility, focus on team, value professional development
Cons
Stressful, potential for on-call/evening hours depending on job duties, have to take charge of work/home life balance
Family Permanency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 24, 2016
Working at Nebraska Families Collaborative has taught me tenacity and teamwork. My supervisor built a team that not only had a heart for working with families but also a a great work ethics.

This job was faced paced. The hardest part of the job for me was the case load amount. To really put the time into the families that I wanted was next to impossible due to my responsibilities.
Pros
Benefits, leadership and a great team of coworkers.
Cons
case load
Stressful job that ends up taking over your life
FAMILY PERMANENCY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 19, 2015
Starting at NFC straight out of college with little experience, I was naive to the struggles and stresses of child welfare.
This job takes A LOT out of you and there is little to no support from supervisors unless you seek them out. If you make a mistake, expect to get reprimanded for it like you ruined everything.
Training is helpful, but then you're thrown in and end up having more than 17 cases, which is supposed to be the max.
The benefits are amazing, which makes it hard to leave, but you'll be using those benefits to seek out mental health help!
The greatest thing about working here were the team feeling, though. The teams could be amazing and making friends with your co-workers was easy since they knew what you were going through.
Pros
Good benefits, teams/coworkers, flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours, little support, pressures
Impossible Job
Family Permanency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 23, 2015
I worked as a family permanency specialist for two years. Sadly, after only working two years there, I was considered a veteran. This speaks to the very high turnover rate. Employees frequently quit, which put added stress and pressure to current employees. When employees quit, their caseload must be transferred to current employees who are already overloaded with cases. And instead of hiring more people to take the pressure off of current overworked employees, NFC has failed to do this. This demonstrated a lack of management skills or consideration for employees. We are supposed to go only up to 17 cases (which is already a handful), but by the time I left, I had 23 cases and I was only getting more. With such a high caseload, it is impossible to meet all of the numerous demands made by the job, including court reports, frequent pointless assessments, meetings with clients, dealing with emergencies, documenting meetings, etc. Because it is impossible, there is no choice but to fall behind and when this happens, you are reprimanded or threatened with written warnings of termination. Also, NFC does not offer proper overtime. They expect you to keep up with an extremely high case load and client emergencies, and when you are not able to do this without overtime, NFC essentially throws it's hands up and expects you to work off the clock; otherwise you are reprimanded for not keeping up with the demands of the job and you are threatened with termination. I would regularly have to work 10-13 hour days, though I would only be paid 8 because I feared termination if I did not keep up.  more...

In the last six months of my employment, I had three new supervisors assigned to me. This is difficult, as each supervisor operates differently and there is a long learning curve. Not to mention, I had to move my seating twice, which takes up a lot of time that needs to be applied to the actual work.

Overall, it seems as if NFC no longer cares for families or it's employees. Instead, they are looking for more and more ways to micromanage and set deadlines to appear up to par for the State. NFC has to maintain it's contract with the State, and it's looking like they this is the only concern anymore. The only saving grace of this job are the co-workers. They understood the difficulties of the job and they are easy to talk to.
Pros
Co-workers, benefits (though I never needed them)
Cons
High demands, no overtime, lack of management skills, high turnover rate
Varying hours
Family Permanency Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 14, 2015
Loved that I could make my own hours. I was able to work nights and weekends. I like being able to make positive changes in the lives of children, youth and families.
No longer a great place to work
Family Permanency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 13, 2015
While employment at NFC was positive in the beginning, the agency has taken a nose dive. There is little to no concern about thier mission, Children and Families First. They concentrate mainly on the numbers and statstics to meet the Federal Guidlines. Employee's have good benefits; however, are treated poorly by upper managment and are under the constant pressure and fear of being terminated if they make a mistake. Many employees have to seek out medical treatment for anexity, depression, and stress related concerns, and when they ask for support or assistance, they are turned down or punitiave measure are taken. Constant threats are made in regards to punitive action if employees struggle to meet all of the expectations, with little to no coaching. The expectations exceed most employee's abilities within the 40 hour work week. Overtime is frowned upon, and if you work overtime, punitive measures can be taken if you do not follow the right steps, you have to stop working to get director approval prior to to working the overtime, which is not client focused.

Employee's are transferred from supervisor to supervisor on average of two supervisors per year. None of which have the same guidelines and expectations; therefore, the learning curve is great. You can also expect to move seating arrangements two times per year, which causes chaos and frustration through out the company, the leadership does not take action or make action plans in regards to these changes and expects lower level employees to move on a days notice. While continuing to do thier job. Burn
  more... out is high due to the intense nature of the field, it is child welfare. While they may be meeting the expectations of the Federal Guidlines, they have failed at making it a better place to work than the State of Nebraska.

Upper managment, has lost the vision of the work they do and they do not know the proper channels and policies and procedures of the company. They have to ask questions of others, or lower management to find out how something is completed. They also work the policies and procedures when it benefits the company. For example, they tell you you are not allowed to work while you are on vacation, but they call you during your vacation time to talk to you about something involving your case load and then there are threats of punitive measures, even if you have a coverage worker. Thus leaving your vacation time spent stressing about getting somthing done or in fear that when you get back you are going to be placed on punative measures. Plus the fact that you have now worked on your vacation time. Only if it is convienent for them. Each director views the policies and proceudres differnetly and has different expecations, therefore, creating chaos, amongst supervisors and lower level staff as nobody knows how things should or should not be completed.

HR department needs to be revammped as they struggle to obtain background checks in a timely manner, fail to flag employees that should be placed on hold and allow them to obatin a full case load prior to determining they need to be placed on hold, which then puts a strain on that workers team as they have to cover for that employee and thier 21 cases until they are cleared by thier background check, this happend to one co-worker and it took two months for them to obtain the background check.

Caseloads are over the federal guideline of 17 out of home cases per staff member, most staff members are sitting at about 21 cases, due to the high amount of turn over. Turnover is high and there is aproxamately one person leaving the agency every two days. When people are fired from the company or set up for verbal or written action, it takes weeks if not months to get that completed.

Sadly it once was a good company to work for, I loved the atmosphere, the mission, and the people, but slowly the company has become more fear based, treatment of employee's has declined, and they lack that once amazing goal of meeting thier mission. I hope at some time they can bring back the sense of the positive atmosphere and treatment of employee.
Pros
benefits are amazing, this keeps a lot of people at the company that would otherwise leave
Cons
High case loads, lack of employee relations, high turn over, high stress
Rewarding but challenging
Family Permanency Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 2, 2015
Working at NFC is never boring, often challenging, and very rewarding. A typical day does not really exist as an FPS, but a typical week can include visiting youth, parents, and foster parents, meeting with legal parties and other service providers, completing assessments and reports, and documenting all contacts. Surprises and emergencies occur often, so this is not a 9-5 job.
The best part of working here is your co-workers and supervisor, who can support and help you. Seeing families overcome their struggles, or helping a child find a forever home, are the most rewarding parts of this job, but there is a lot of work that goes into that happening.
Pros
flexible schedule, mileage reimbursement
Cons
high caseload, late hours
Awesome place to work
A/P Support Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 14, 2015
I loved the time I spent with this organization. Their mission was clear and they stood by it, making sure the goals set forth by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services were not only met but surpassed every single year. The employees believe in the agency's mission and it shows through the stellar work being done within the organization.

As with any case management position, the work-life balance is always a struggle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PromiseShip. Our community is ready to answer.

PromiseShip Reviews by Location