PromoWorks Employee Reviews

nice enjoyable job
Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 5, 2017
i lovemeeting and reacting with new people, its easy to use their online portal to look for assignments to report the results of your eventss at night when u get home,
Pros
nice enjoyable place to work
Cons
not enough hours need more work
Enjoyable
Engagement Specialist/Product Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 2, 2017
Flexible work environment. Great assignments with very professional and modern companies. Company very similar in nature to JADE. Enjoyed working with company guests.
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
Awesome office in downtown Chicago, fast paced environment
Senior Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2017
For the majority of the time I worked for this company, I enjoyed my work day. We did relocate a few times after being bought out but ended up in a very nice office in downtown Chicago with a gorgeous view. The company has a lot of fun activities for the employees such as day of fun, parties, team outings, sports leagues.

Tight-knit teams keep you feeling included although you will have your own accounts to manage
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
High stress
Event Specalist
Event Specialist (Current Employee) –  SouthAugust 6, 2017
I do a lot of jobs and have time to make my own decisions for a demonstration of food samples. It is a program to build related skills in organization planning and top work to show examples of real proficient regulation and work functional norms with a display job.
former event specialist - NJ
Event Specialist (Former Employee) –  NJ - central and southern areaApril 19, 2017
I had a neighbor who worked for this company over 10 years ago for a major grocery firm. When I wanted part-time flexible work I thought I would try to get in. The company has changed many times over since my neighbor was involved working there and I will say "not" for the better.

It was not easy to even figure out where to get a job posting for openings. Company was bought out by Crossmark and is now under that "umbrella". I tried to get into a township in my area where most of the grocers have a nice clientele and was given the runaround. I was previously listed by Crossmark as a rep but never got booked any hours. They had a hard time even telling me how to convert to Promoworks. Finally, it happened (many, many months later).

Then I was told by that time the group of stores that could have "kept me busy as much as I wanted" was no longer booking any event openings available. So I became a floater. The supervisor who worked that area was transferred and the current booking supervisor was a total scatterbrain. Also I agreed to do a certain territory on certain days and was told I could be kept busy and then got booked in areas where I couldn't easily get to; and that I needed to fill bookings during days I had other commitments.

I got the runaround about booking questions, product concerns, kits not being sent when supposed to be delivered; then there were a few demo women in my area that kept calling off so I was booked to cover; then other weeks I was booked zero days. Basically there is no balance and you are told other things before you get hired.
  more... Then afterwards you are treated as they please, which became a problem. I wanted to do this 4 steady days on week ends and have early week available to work on other ventures and there always seemed to be several days a month where I was booked on those days. After a while it got annoying. I didn't mind covering for absences but then it became repetitive and I was basically scheduling my life around this job when I could have made out better elsewhere.

You are expected to do a LOT of administrative work without being paid. Some of the reps who worked in the stores where I did would snark the customers, come in late and leave early, and falsify the sample data. A few customers who became regulars at my stand(s) would comment on the "other lady" who "seems to be nicer now than she was a year ago". Nothing gets done about the slackers and you will be at the mercy of the schedule when the lazy and irresponsible make your week chaos. I wound up leaving and the scheduling reps gave me a hard time about my resignation. They said I "had to" do the things that were booked or they would not approve my transfer to another store chain. It was a joke, really.

I worked with a couple box store situations and now am training for retail intelligence and just putting this out there for insight to those who think of joining the NJ area doing this with Promoworks. In general, these demo companies are all enthusiastic about hiring but once you get there, it's a totally different story. For a company to represent they can keep me so engaged, it was laughable to see how things "really" worked out. Just sayin' . . .
Pros
casual work if you can get it
Cons
unpaid administrative duties; inconsistent scheduling; difficult supervisory personnel
Fun to talk to people
Event Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FloridaJanuary 8, 2017
It is fun to greet and talk to customers about the product you are promoting for sales. With company pre notes on the product you learn all about the product before you go out to promote it and able to tell potential customers the benefits of the product.
Pros
The job is 4 to 6 hours
Cons
You get a break working 4 hours or lunch working 6 hours
Good, but not worth the long term. Coming from someone whom has worked for them before they switched to Promoworks.
Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandJune 6, 2016
"Allways In-Store" I think it was, though that's probably a different company altogether.

A day at work is nothing to write home about, but sometimes it'll have its perks. :3 A few co-workers, but are usually at other stores. Cooking promotions aren't too bad, but probably the hardest of all in terms of difficulty. Depending on where you go, the air always feels fresh.
-------
It depends on where they send you, but the people that work at whatever store they send you to can be really nice, even the manager. :3 Good for getting some fresh air, talking to people, and overall a good place to start.

Personal note: If you promote enough times at a store you regularly shop at, you'll have an easier time finding what you need in the future.
-------
It could be for the sake of the company, but from experience, some of the coordinators like to play favorites with their demonstrators. Calling these coordinators unreliable is an understatement. It could also be the fact that they just recently lost Safeway. On top of that, they might tell you about a new rule of code that seems strange and possibly frivolous, so be VERY thorough if you're reading up on company policy and/or code of conduct. Don't let them confuse and possibly make you lose out.

Personal note: The managers at (most) of the stores I worked at were a good bit more forgiving (and nicer) than the ones at the company.
-------
Leaning more towards the coordinators:
STOP. PLAYING. FAVORITES. Even if it's for the sake of the (possibly dwindling) company or mainly your avarice.

Personal note: I quit for non-personal
  more... reasons unrelated to this.
I won't say any names, but all I have to say is this, in the most family friendly way I can: Basing this on the different stores I've promoted at, there are MANY companies out there willing to hire competent workers who are more friendly and less biased than you. >:(

For management:
I have had a few coordinators that WERE reliable and nice. They provided more than a welcoming atmosphere/environment than ...these coordinators. More of them would be great.
Pros
Very good for people starting out.
Cons
Not management, but the (current) coordinators are very, very, nitpicky... and favoritism.
demo
Event Specialist (Former Employee) –  ILOctober 30, 2015
Called client companies, to set up time for demo of product, counted stock restocked and sold product food chain as well as myself.
Pros
low hours good for cach flow during school year
Cons
never same site
no work
Product Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 14, 2015
I am not satisfied with Promoworks at this time due to a lack of work. I don't like the fact of having to call in for availability of the product 3 days in advance. I never get the same person on the phone and the staff act like they don't have time to assist me.
Pros
I like the work.
Cons
The work load is almost to nothing.
Earline Brooks
Product Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 14, 2015
They don't always have work. I don't like the fact that we have to call the store to make sure the product is available. When the product is not available I have to settle and get $30.00. I have been told that the demonstrators who work inside Wal-Mart do not have to do store call in's for product information.
Pros
I enjoy the work when it is available.
Cons
very little to no work has been available
Flexible and respectful amosphere
Demo rep (Current Employee) –  New JerseyMay 7, 2015
The management team is hard working and allows for many people to work 2 jobs because of the hours of operation of supermarkets.
Company was sold then collapsed
Data Insights Analyst (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 5, 2015
Poorly run company with no direction. Clear dividing line between management and staff. The executive team did not know how to keep the company a float.
Great people, good morals
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMarch 9, 2015
A typical day at work included setting up demos, making sure everything was/is set up correctly.
My co workers were great, very family orientated company.
The hardest part of the job was the drive, I drove an hour to work everyday. The other hardest part was the lack of communication with management. Management was poor at communicating and communicating the truth, they talked in circles when trying to communicate and not in proper terms
Hardest Part of the job
Product Sample Associate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 20, 2014
Yo always have to be on the go and pushing yourself to really make anything out of this. Very good for a part time job but not for a career.
Pros
Get to meet a lot of new people
Cons
Always on your feet few breaks
Great Independent Contractor job
Event Specialist, #ES142657 (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 9, 2014
Work Assignments were sent by email, and Fed-Ex delivered all the demo kits directly to the Event Specialist. The reports to be filled out and returned were included for that days event at the local market.
Event Specialist set-up and broke-down own demo table, appliances and tools needed for demos. As an Independent Contractor and manager, keeping focused, time management, and customer service were keys in this arena. Abiding with the company policies and procedures brought quality demonstrations and best interaction with market managers
Pros
Independent Contractor
Cons
Time management, Part Time
Free to choose the days I want to work
Bilingual Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  CASeptember 7, 2014
I usually arrive 15 minutes earlier to organize everything about the product I'm going demonstrate then I start greeting all the customers that approach my table, offering them samples.

I learned to tell the customers what is really important about the sample, like and also to respond their questions.

My co-workers are very nice, I made a lot of friends, including people that work in the stores I use to go.
Pros
Bonus, good management
Cons
Not good benefits
Flexible hours, good pay.
Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VA and San Francisco, CAAugust 16, 2014
Promoworks is a great company, but since Crossmark's takeover, not so much.
Pros
schedules you select
Cons
not enough hours
Lead Event Specialist in the Watertown, NY (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 24, 2014
I found demos to be a little boring if the store was not busy, so it was not a good match for me. With this company I had to provide all my own equipment. This was a little difficult moving things into and out of the store, sanitizing and reloading in the car. Fun working with kids and seniors. Always that one customer that makes your day.
Pros
work on your own, good pay for what you do
Cons
provide your own equipment
Loyalty Program / Sales Promotion
Marketing Area Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Maandaluyong City, Metro Manila, PhilippinesDecember 13, 2013
This job used to be my home for almost six years. This wrok embraced and molded me to become a more competitive employee nowadays. There were times that the expectations was too high but all I did was just to do the best of me and see what will happen in the end. I handled the loyalty program of Unilever Philippines based in the supermarkets and it was really a great experience wherein learning were just in your from and it is up to you if you are going to seize it or not but I grab all the learning. I do clerical works such as encoding, request for cash budget and liquidate. I also hire, train and evaluate employees. I have established a very good rapport with the supermarket owners, managers and its staff. The hardest part of this is when I was about to end up my work because the program was about to end.
Pros
Free meal, transportation allowance, communication
Cons
One hour meal break
• accurately. Responsible for conducting a thorough interview by phone or in person as directed and also to engage of potential Engagement Specialist
Field Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILDecember 4, 2013
• Planned work schedules and assigns duties to maintain adequate staff for effective performance of activities and response to fluctuating workloads
• Collaborated with workers and managers to solve work-related problems
• Reviewed work throughout the work process and at completion to ensure that it has been performed properly.
• Familiar with word processing programs, i.e. Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PromoWorks. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9