Installs, maintains, and repairs ship’s main propulsion and auxiliary systems including, but not limited to: Steam, Gas Turbine, Diesel propulsion, propulsion shafting, propellers, rudders, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration, and steering systems. Installs, maintains, and repairs ship’s sub-systems including, but not limited to: pumps, compressors, purifiers, heat exchangers, hydraulic/electric motor operators, valves, fluid control components/assemblies, and fluid/air/hydraulic systems. Tests installed equipment to ensure system meets specifications. Installs and tests various shop equipment.
Experience leading a crew of 2-4 Employees in the repair of Pumps, Valves, Main Machinery and Deck Equipment on Navy Ships. Knowledge of Navy Standard Items, Lockout/Tagout.
High school or equivalent education preferred.
Minimum of two to ten years in ship repair/shipyard related experience and of good mechanical aptitude. Ability to use hand tools and related machinery and be able to read, interpret and communicate technical guidance, specifications and schematics.
Essential Job Tasks / Skills
- Must be able to pass a Background Screening for access to Navy Bases.
- Must comprehend work specifications, standards, and technical manuals.
- Must read and understand blueprints, drawings and hydraulic/pneumatic schematics.
- Must be proficient with precision measuring instruments, (e.g., micrometers, calipers).
- Able to calculate measurements, tolerances, etc. using standard mathematical formulas.
- Must abide by general safety requirements/standards.
- Submits conditions found reports via verbal, written and/or electronic means.
- Other duties as assigned.
Materials, Tools, Equipment, Work Aids
Environmental Factors / Physical Demands
- Work is performed in a wide variety of environments including heights of 20 feet or more,
small and/or confined spaces and outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Will routinely bend, twist, kneel, climb, and reach for 1 -12 hours per day.
- Will sit, stand, and walk for 1 – 12 hours per day.
- Will endure noise, fumes, dust, and inclement weather.
- Must be able to lift and carry 1 – 70 lbs. throughout the day.
- Must be able to push or pull up to 70 lbs.
- Must be able to safely wear a respirator when needed.
- Must have the ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable
accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.