Assembles, fits, and installs or removes piping and/or structural metal components using various types of burning, welding, grinding, cutting, and/or bending equipment/processes. Familiarity with Navy Standard Items, Welding and Brazing Processes for Pipe and Structural, able to supervise several work sites simultaneously.
MUST BE ABLE TO CLEAR A BACKGROUND CHECK AND DRIVING RECORD
High school or equivalent education preferred. Depending on the level of the position, minimum of one to ten years of experience in pipefitting and/or structural welding in a shipyard or related field and be experienced in brazing and SMAW (stick), FCAW (flux-core), TIG/GTAW (for Cuni Pipe). Must be able to pass “restricted fixed position testing in flat, vertical, and horizontal positions using approved company procedures. Able to work from blueprints, schematics and/or sketches to exact tolerances. Utilize machinery to cut, bend, thread, fit piping and/or steel and posses an in-depth knowledge of welding equipment/tools.
Essential Job Tasks / Skills
- Lays out work from blueprint, drawing, or sketch.
- Grinds, gouges, cuts, and prepares metals using various hand/power tools.
- Conducts hydrostatic testing of piping systems.
- Able to differentiate between types of metals and/or metal compositions.
- Possess the ability to identify differences in color and pass a (Jaeger 1) eye test, 20/20
- Ability to identify gas free of space/piping system.
- Other duties as assigned.
Materials, Tools, Equipment, Work Aids
Welding machinery, torches and leads, stinger, grinders, chipping hammers, measuring tools, bending/threading equipment, facial/eye protection devices, respirator, gloves, vest, (PPE), fire bottles.
Marginal Job Tasks / Skills
- Bolt/unbolt, screw or rivet to remove and install equipment/components.
- Perform duties as Fire watch.
- Clean work site.
Environmental Factors / Physical Demands
- Work is performed in a wide variety of environments including heights of 20 feet or more,
small and/or confined spaces and outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Will routinely bend, twist, kneel, climb, and reach for 1 -12 hours per day.
- Will sit, stand, and walk for 1 – 12 hours per day.
- Will endure noise, fumes, dust, and inclement weather.
- Must be able to lift and carry 1 – 80 lbs. throughout the day. Must be able to push or pull up to
75 lbs. and safely wear a respirator when needed.
- Must have the ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable
accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.