Protection One, Inc. Employee Reviews

nice place to work, clean foosball table in break room
Commercial Account Representative I (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 10, 2016
Protection one is a great company to work for the supervisors and managers and CEO are very kind and friendly, Its like working in pleasant town. It's fast pace and very easy to promote if you apply yourself. In fact they encourage you to move up and apply for new positions. Again a great place to work especially for a young person who would like to start a career. Managers take care of the employees.The coworkers are great it's like they hand pick people, no drama what so ever. I learned a lot about customer service dealing with commercial businesses more and there you do more than just one thing. You wear many hats, customer service, tech support, video, The most enjoyable part of the job is you don't have to wait 3 years to have the schedule you may want if you apply yourself. The key to this job is Be on time for work and lunch and breaks. come to work and be pleasant learn as much as you can and your life will be successful at Protection One.
Pros
great company to work for, Professional environment
Cons
Maybe hard to get the type of schedule you want.
Fair
Customer Sirvice Rep (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 7, 2016
Protection 1 is a fast pace environment with limited growth potential. Their PTO policy makes it difficult to stay under the wire in ref to absence issues. Managers seem interested in their employees, but do not offer meaningful input. Overall, the feeling is that employees are dispensable.
Pros
Available OT
Cons
Unreasonable attendance expectations
great training and management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 21, 2015
inbound call center for security systems. sitting at a desk answering customers needs helping with their billing and assisting them with alarms.
Challenging and Busy Position
Branch Administrator (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJOctober 1, 2015
Very challenging position, which I loved. Kept me busy at all times. I had some of the best technicians to work with. They sure put in their part in helping out to make sure the job was getting done.
Cons
Compensation
THE WORST JOB I THINK I EVER HAD
Alarm Monitoring Representative (Former Employee) –  Manasquan NJSeptember 18, 2015
I actually worked at this location and people were literally KILLING THEMSELVES and DYING to get out of there (3 while I was there in less than 2 years).

You work in a windowless room your entire shift. You are chained to a desk your entire shift by a headset. You have to 'ask permission' to have a bathroom break outside of your assigned break time. The work is monotonous and repetitive. If you don't reach your "quota" of calls, you're penalized in both selection of days you can take off for the following quarter and salary increases. You MUST work one or both days of the weekends. You will also have to work holidays frequently (I worked every single holiday the entire time I was employed there).

The general atmosphere is one of immaturity and cliquishness and the supervisors were the worst in granting privileges to their "pet" employees or relatives that worked there. Kinda like being back in high school. If you aren't part of the clique forget about being treated fairly.

I really wouldn't recommend working at this location.
It's a call center
AC&T rep (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 15, 2015
Pay was good, some of the supervisors were lacking professionalism. If you have a problem or an issue good luck it's easier to find another job than trying to get someone to listen to you and after you do trying to get someone to listen you will become the worst employee and they will make you want to quit. I worked with some really great people. It is a call center so it will suck the life out of you.
Pros
pay, opportunity for advancement
Cons
management
Customer service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 14, 2015
My day consist of answering phone calls from Protection one customers and assisting them with their needs as far as their accounts and security systems. My co-workers are amazing and very comfortable to work with. The best part about my job is hearing when I have helped a customer out and they like talking to me.
Very good work
Commercial Installer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 8, 2015
Great field to get in to. Required a lot of travel.

The coworkers where great, the management can be frustrating.

I was up and gone before the sun rose and didn't get home until after the sun set.
not good
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Tigard OrAugust 29, 2015
They really did not treat employee's well at all. No opportunities and poor pay or job requirements. would not recommend working here.
Not a great company to work for
Commercial Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Van NuysAugust 26, 2015
Compensation at first was attractive, but would shift month to month, based on corporate's need to trim fat and cut costs. The Regional Manager was more concerned with doing it his way than listening to others and doing it the right way. Internally, there was many conflicts between the departments. I left to work with a better and more rewarding company.

Want to know more about Protection One, Inc.?

Ask a question
routine trained for any scenario that unexpected and past experience
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 19, 2015
professional environment discipline,friendly people to work with and knowledge your work and efforts.
training tools and school to fit the Job tasks.
Very poor work/ life balance
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 6, 2015
The right never knows what the left hand is doing, management tells you what you want to hear to get you in and then acts like you were supposed to forget what they promised. Never around for family no way to plan after work activities due to not knowing when your going to get off. Lack of training the blind leading the bling

Co-workers are great and fun to be around
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Everything but the co-workers
it was a great place to work
Collections Rep/ Customer service (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 3, 2015
taking calls from customers about there bills that are in collections and finding out why they let the bill go to collections and fix issues and collecting funds
Pros
was a great job
Cons
they closed our office and moved to another state
Worked there for years
National Key Account Representative II (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 27, 2015
After 4 years at this company I was trained in 7 different departments and loved the key account team that I worked in. I did everything from account creation/servicing/billing/tech support (in house, and for emergency service techs) and was the go to person for everything for specific accounts.
Pros
handling everything for large companies, overcoming obstacles with knowledge.
Cons
Financial issues within the company (2004)
productive
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 25, 2015
daily processing of orders
confirmation of orders with purchase orders
projects from management
answering calls and checking inventory
tracking orders to be shipped out
Pros
co-workers
Best/ Beneficial Job
Monitoring Rep (Former Employee) –  Longwood, FLJuly 22, 2015
A typical day at work would be coming in finding an open computer (work station) logging in and taking alarm signals for residential and commercial property over and over until your shift is over. Verifying that persons and or property was safe and secure through various phone calls and dispatching authorities if need be. A lunch would not be given unless there was downtime ( not many signals received) otherwise for every 4hrs of time worked you would be scheduled a 15 minute break to; eat, use the bathroom, make any necessary phone calls etc. My coworkers were pleasant and understanding. Management was well organized and somewhat easy to deal with. The greatest thing I could say I learned from the time spent at this job was my "attention to detail", a trait that I utilize to this day. The hardest part of this job was what we monitoring reps called "Mandation." Mandation is having to cover an unscheduled amount of a fellow coworkers shift as a result of tardiness or call out. Usually a mandation would be a coverage of either the 1st 4hrs of a shift or the last 4hrs of a shift. However this gives the most enjoyable part of the position which was pay, compensation and overtime. It was a tough job for a person with children and or separate careers goals outside of this job, but you was very well compensated.
Pros
pay, coworkers and benefits
Cons
Mandation
Very motivation place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 9, 2015
Enjoyed the commission opportunites and as well as the OT that was onstantly given. Free snacks and beverages was given everyday.
Nice place to work. However, no growth opportunities.
Service Tech III Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYJuly 7, 2015
A typical day at protection one starts around 7 a.m. and ended whenever the work stopped coming in. Often times I would work till 8:30/9:00 pm. I was one of the few lead techs. I have learned a host a of different types of security systems, CCTV, card access. I learned how to lead a team on numerous projects (Alarm and camera installations that cost $50,000 and more). My co-workers were great.

The hardest part of job is not knowing when I was getting off of work. Very hard to have family time. Another difficult part is constantly going above and beyond for my managers and never received a promotion. Once a tech always a tech. I was told I would be made a installation manager in December. My general manager ended up hiring one of his friends from the outside. I never mind going the extra mile. However, 7 years without a promotion into some type of supervisory or management role is a bit too long. Since I have been there, only one promotion to supervisor was given; and that was within the first couple of months of me starting.
Pros
Use of company vehicle to drive to and from work. Learned different types of systems.
Cons
Health care, lack of growth opportunities.
Productive workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 6, 2015
I had to use this specific app used by the company to map out certain areas that I wanted to sell in. Once the area was mapped out I was then dropped off at my desired location to sell. I learned communication skills, how to read body language, how to be self- motivated, eye-contact, confidence,customer service, and how to sell a customer. Management and co-workers all worked as a team to accomplish our sales quota for the month. The hardest part of the job was walking in 100 degree heat selling security systems and the most enjoyable part is actually making the sale.
Pros
Incentives such as free Nike shoes, free dinner
Cons
Walking out in harsh weather conditions
Very technical Job
Dealer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 6, 2015
This was a technical job that required data entry and security system trouble shooting. I've learned quite a bit. When I started there it was in an entry level job. I had no prior knowledge in this industry. I worked in the call center and managed to move up into management through hard work. I had a manager that was willing to take me under his wing and teach me what I needed to do the job. My co-workers were great, I still maintain many of them as friends. This industry constantly changes and keeping up with the changes was the hardest part of the job.