Protection One, Inc.

Protection One, Inc. Employee Reviews

Run
residential technician 2 (Former Employee), Lombard IllinoisApril 21, 2015
Pros: lots of overtime
Cons: learn how to manage yourself management has no support for you at all
Work there for a year never had a chance to make something at the job very poor management needs a lot of work if you do decide to work now have a lot of patients overtime is a must on time suck especially if you're a technician no tech-support at all was very unhappy working for protection one
OT OT OT
Monitoring Representative IV (Former Employee), Cypress, CAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: OT OT OT OT
Company offer more OT than some people can handle. The hardest part of the job is required to submit any vacation within 6 months (even if its 1 day). The most enjoyable is the people and supervisors. Very paced environment and one must be able to learn quickly and adapt to change.
Productive and Challenging
Commercial Remote Programmer/Tech Support Rep (Former Employee), Irving, TXMarch 22, 2015
I learned daily about various alarm systems. My communication skills evolved tremedously here and my mind was constantly challenged.
A Stepping Stone
Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 11, 2015
All experiences are a stepping stone to perfecting your overall experiences. Each position, good or bad is teaching us to understand where we will be perfect fit. My rating for this company was low and learning that 4 people quit in one week should have been a red flag, but I decided to give it a try and work through it. Co-workers are great, management is a big issue, benefits are terrible but I was able to gain experience in MAS application and remember the scheduleing aspect of my being a project coordinator. I would rate this as a 3.
Highly stressful and fast paced environment.
Monitoring Representative (Current Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: schedule is convenient
Cons: really short breaks
Very fast paced 24 hour call center environment. Learned a lot on the need to quickly respond to home, business and medical alarms in a timely manner. Learned the procedures after a 5 week training which prepared me once I was working on the floor as a monitoring representative. The hardest part of the job is making sure you take the next call within 2 minutes and completing call within 2 minutes or less.
Excellent experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: varied according to parent company. excelent management traing under westinghouse.
Cons: constantly changing
This company evolved over the years I was there thru five buy-outs/takeovers. I learned to adapt to different systems and priorities.
Fast paced, busy environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Wichita, ksFebruary 17, 2015
Back to back phone calls. Must be able to multitask and navigate manuals, programs, and make notes within the call. Usually calls last less than 5 minutes.
they keep you busy even in slow times
Service Technician/Installer (Former Employee), Westwood, MAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: had company truck and good befits
Cons: traveled ing between jobs and being on call
Main office didn't understand the area we covered. so they cut back on 2 techs. We covered almost 3/4 of the state so some days were very long trying to get daily jobs done.
Micro management
Customer Service Tech assistant (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
Micro management. Most supervisors did not have degrees talked down to employees. Wrote up everybody daily.
I was able to reach the goals that were set out
POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENT LIASION (Former Employee), Beaverton, ORJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: being able to make a difference and having the support to do so
Cons: sometimes i would be gone all month long to different states.
There was not a specific typical day at work. I was trained to do every position of the company that had to do with the inner workings of what the company was about; monitoring peoples homes and businesses.

Overview; Travel throughout the United States, in my office taking phone calls and helping different police and fire departments.

The first four months, I was the customer liaison. This position required me to take the worst phone calls that came in the call center.

When my boss the VP, asked me to change our relationships with the police and fire departments. I told him that might take two to three years and he was fine with that. I started going to police/fire department meeting to introduce myself and resolve and issues they might have with the company and turn that around. I was the face of Protection One. I handed out my business cards with my person work number so we could resolve pass and current issues. I was able to reach these goals with all the support I had behind me.
could have been a much better
Commercial Technician (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 4, 2015
Management was awful and seemed to never have a clear clue of what was needed to make things better. the work was typical security alarm stuff but the day to day management of employees, jobs, schedules and customers were terrible.
Difficult, demanding and stressful
Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Portland OregonDecember 31, 2014
Pros: paycheck
Cons: no training, poor management, hostile workplace
Management lacks vision, sets unrealistic goals, and refuses to properly train employees. Employee is expected to have immediate understanding of job roles and expert level of performance at all times. Job related training is non-existent, employee is expected to meet all goals at all times.

Would not recommend working for company on any level.
I loved working for this company and am looking for another one simular.
Service Tech III (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 10, 2014
I wasnt sure what the day would bring when I walked in every morning.
I loved that! It was somthing new every day but nothing you wouldn't be able to handle.
The management staff was always happy and ready to help.
Great opportunity amazing time with good people.
sales manager (Former Employee), Lubbock TexasOctober 28, 2014
Pros: great pay and packages
Cons: long hours into the night.
Was an amazing company to work for with great people all around. flexible hours of work so you make your own schedule.
terrible company..."slave drivers"
residential sales manager (Former Employee), ohioOctober 22, 2014
Pros: was reassured on the daily how attractive i was.
Cons: no pay. messed up pay checks. constantly being hit on. no training no support...
I was a former sales manager. If you could spell your name they will hire you. I had no training whatsoever. They kept putting more and more on my plate and no compensation. They would have me recruit,hire,train,and maintain sales myself plus dealing with complaining customers calling in the branch and not compensating me for the time they took away from me selling. Also required me to drive to another branch almost 2 hrs away twice aweek with out giving me any car allowance. I was working 50+ hrs a week.It seemed like i was paying them to work. They love to work you hard and pay you less. And i was constantly told how "smoking hot" i was. As a young professional woman that is not something you want to hear from a general manager old enought to be my father. Plus they will deduct your commission as much as they can. I made several sales and got less then $100 for them and being on straight commission that was not enough for me to live on.
This is a challenging environment for IT
Sr. SQL Server DBA (Former Employee), Irving, TXOctober 6, 2014
Pros: very compelling purpose to work - life safety, challenge of multiple data centers and a need for true 24 x 7
Cons: overly politicized environment for such a small organization, issues with insufficient resources and mismanaged priorities
. Strongly count the cost if you're a SQL Server DBA. There's been 6-7 of them pass through in the last few years and two have left in the April 2014.

After two significant reduction in forces over the past few years that may have cut the workforce in half, it appears the staff is significantly affected. Not only is there a significant lack of resources, these cut really affected morale. This may explain a level of insecurity that drives IT management to work against one another.

There is perpetually a concern for being sold, which common place across the industry. This leads to additional cutbacks, which drive more concern.

I suspect some number of those who remain will likely be making a way toward a door, soon. There is someone leaving from a relatively small IT department every month or so. Whether staying within the industry or moving onto new endeavors each will likely find an organization more appreciative of their talents, readily able to recognize and reward them.

I partnered with two guys in NJ work tirelessly for 12, 14, 16 hour days during the 2 weeks of hurricane Sandy in 2013. While I was safe in Dallas, these two had to deal with the aftermath of damage to their homes while working to keep the platforms running. These are the HEROES of P1, not the top salesman for Q3.

Those in the the decision maker role are sufficiently insulated from the discord that is so prevalent, because there is such attention given to accounts, contractors and sales.
A great foundation for entry level dispatchers
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee), Long BeachSeptember 19, 2014
The training class is amazing. It creates a solid foundation for a dispatcher.
Pay's a bit low, but it can be fun
Former Employee (Former Employee), Irving, TXSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: relaxed environment, business casual
Cons: some folks need more "how to treat people" training
Worked there for years, so I did enjoy it. Would recommend over the multinationals I worked for before and after (though the pay was better with the multinationals).
Multitasking Environment combining with listening skills.
Customer Service Representatives (Former Employee), Manasquan, NJAugust 30, 2014
Pros: my co-workers and managers made our environment enjoyable
Working in an environment that every call was crucial for the Alarm Company Protection One made me into a great mutitasker, listener and customer service agent. We worked for the police, fire and medical department and we had to react fast on our emergency calls because they were life or death situations. I was the best customer service efficient and proactive personnell in Protection One. I am very Proud to had worked for Protection One.
Unpredictable and busy all day.
Alarm Monitoring Agent (Former Employee), Longwood, FloridaAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great pay and great working conditions.
Cons: short breaks, short lunch and mandated on a regular basis.
Never a dull moment. Always busy and no time to slack. Co-workers were very helpful and kind. Assistance of supervisors was excellent.

1 2 3 4 5

About Protection One, Inc.

Safety is the #1 priority for Protection One (P-One). The company provides security alarm monitoring services to about 1.5 million – Read more

Protection One, Inc. Salaries