Protection One, Inc.

Protection One, Inc. Employer Reviews

Not Very productive and has alot of turnover
COMMERCIAL ACCOUNT REP I (Current Employee), Irving, TXMarch 27, 2014
Cons: 30 min lunches, short breaks, clock out to use restroom which is ridiculious
Mangement could use a class or two, because it lacks alot of employer to employee communication. The company does not value its employees more focused on numbers. No bonuses given from a company than ranks itself No2 in Nation. Most employees just go to work because they need the money. In most cases its a JOB not an Adventure.
Productive and caring work environment
Monitor Technician I (Former Employee), Wichita, KSMarch 6, 2014
Pros: lost of attendence rewards and acknowledgement for great work presented
Cons: dealing with upset customers on a daily basis
A typical day of work dealt with repetitive questions and circumstances but there was always room for improvement as well as trying to figure out ways to get the call completed as quickly as possible with satisfying the customer needs. I learned how to deal with many types of attitudes and how to properly defuse situations to assist the customers as – more... well as the company.
The management was there when you needed them, I did not interact much with management due to my knowledge of the job.
Coworkers are friendly and helpful when you need them and will help with questions prior to needed the assistance of management. The hardest part of the job was the fact that it was so repetitive that it made time sit at a stand still at times. The help and security that was provided to the customer including the willingness for the coworker to assist you when a problem arise. – less
Sales Staff Quit at a 98% turn-over rate, in just 7 months!
Residential Security Consultant (sales) (Former Employee), Irving, TexasFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: benefits were decent
Cons: terrible management, no sound business model.
A Short Career with Protection One

My start date with Protection One residential sales was June 3rd 2013. They hired 6 of us, all without any discernible reason. If you could use the bathroom and hit the water you were on-board.

The “training” was fragmented, catch-as-catch can and haphazard to give a mild description. In the first 30 days 3 of the – more... 6 new hires quit without drama. None were asked to leave.

Moving into the field we were told there are 2 kinds of sales; “self-gens” and “company leads.” The high priority went to “self-generated” sales. These “sell-gens” were achieved by knocking on the doors of strangers and referrals. Sales from company leads paid about 1/3 of “self-gens” because as explained, these leads cost marketing money to produce.

Management mouthed the term “self-gen” with a frequency akin to GEICO™ insurance advertising. This repetition did not boost morale or increase sales by any discernible measure.

Our sales literature claimed Protection One to be the second largest electronic security company in the industry. Advertising within our metropolitan trading area and throughout the nation was and still is practically non-existent. In the absence of radio, television and print promotions we were a no-name enterprise even among competitors. This made “self-gen” sales that much harder to accomplish.

Payment of our commissions was a Byzantine bureaucratic struggle that involved multiple websites and signatures even after the contracts were signed, money collected and security systems installed. We often had to wait an extra 14 days to receive large portions of pay.

Discussions with management about the troubles around compensation were greeted phrases like “I don’t have access to that”, “It is what it is” and “Well, we’re all in the same boat”.

Within 60 days of my June 3rd 2013 start date I was the only man standing out of the 6 new hires. One hundred twenty days after my hire our sales manager left us to micro-manage some other beleaguered souls at ADT.

News came to us that Protection One had acquired a smaller company to lead our residential sales team. This company was rumored to have a Better Business Bureau rating of “F” and a litany of litigation due to non-compliance of various state laws. Rumor gave way to self-verification by visiting contractors from the acquisition. These “F” rated folks were to direct us in the field. They in-turn answered only to their out-of-state superiors. Months of delay and manic decision-making obstructed the path to future consumer complaints. I guess someone thought our company culture of excellent customer service coupled with an A+ rating would somehow inform this newly purchased unpleasant reputation.

By November 2013, 2 of the 4 salesmen on-board for about a year’s tenure took a powder. This left the residential sales department with just 3 of us and no manager. Three salesmen were all that remained to respond to company leads. According to the last U.S. Census our market space has a population count of 6,526,548 and encompasses 9,286 square miles. At this juncture, we were told to abandon our “self-gen” efforts.

In mid-January the acquisition’s sales manager moved to our area. Without a word to us he took the company leads from us and pocketed the sales for himself. Our local management objected but alas, was powerless to stop his thievery. The new manager participated in benefits like us, but received no salary or performance bonuses and no cell phone or gasoline allowances. Unlike a traditional sales manager he had no stake in our success. Clearly he needed to use our company leads to produce income. This was also a way to starve us into knocking on cold doors in the cold winter.

I resigned by quietly returning my laptop and security badge to the branch administrator. I’m certain no one was surprised. – less
good enviorment
Tech Support (Former Employee), Orem, UTFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: communication to employees
it was a good company but kind of sketchy with the pay the tried to lower it out of no where.
Management Sucks
Customer Account Representative (Monitoring Rep) (Current Employee), Irving, TXFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: management, attendance policy
Turnover very high. Management team need training to learn how to speak to the employees. Job is portrayed to be this positive work environment with room for growth which in reality they only reason people move up so fast is because employees quit left and right. If they do not like you, management will look for reasons to fire you then compile write – more... ups so you are not able to get your unemployment. Managements cares nothing about employees, only the numbers of the center. If you have children, this is the last place on earth you would want to work. Don't be fooled by the excitement of the training class, its all a front because they are unable to keep employees there. Once you start you will get trained in multiple areas of the business without additional pay....think twice about coming here. – less
Do not work in c/s
worker (Current Employee), Wichita, KSFebruary 7, 2014
Do not work in c/s
Favortism at it's best!!!
Low pay
No advancement
No structure
Its a Job
Lead Bilingual Shift Manager (Former Employee), Manasquan, NJJanuary 8, 2014
From a supervisor standpoint comes to you a truthful review. Favoritism by management and indecisive direction makes the work environment extremely unfair to work in. After many years of putting up with the bs there, it was too much. Corporation treats employees like numbers while other supervisors are sleeping with the operators. Great job, give a – more... head to get ahead.... completely overlooked by management. – less
There is room for advancement with the company.
Commercial Account Rep (Former Employee), Irving, TXDecember 31, 2013
Pros: gifts at christmas and employee appreciation week.
Cons: health benefits
Fun continually taking calls
How to handle customers, How to manage a team of dedicated leaders. Management was okay sometimes they just needed to work with the employee that they already had so they wouldn't have to hire new employee's so often. Coworkers were great friendly and fun to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customer – more... making them happy. – less
Friendly and helpful co-workers
Alarm Monitor (Former Employee), Irving, TexasDecember 21, 2013
Pros: co-workers, lots of overtime, good customers
Cons: most stressful part of the job is dealing with inaffective management team very political
Basic job is very enjoyable, highly stressful and fast paced. Management team very politically, if they don't like you will constantly monitor your calls and nit pick your slightest errors. Co-workers very helpful, hardest part of the job is dealing with management not knowing their jobs. People promoted to supervisory position not because they know – more... their job it's because they are good friends with higher management or do what they are told and do not rock the boat. 80% of supervisors and Leads been in industry less then 2 years. 80% of the people hired for call center have no of alarm experience and have been there less then 2 years. Head of department which is the call center had never been in a alarm call center enviroment and vice president of division again has no alarm call center experience and is only concerned with what president of company hears and is told. Lots of turnover due to all of the above reasons. 50 to 70% turnover rate in last 12 months. – less
Handle Daily security needs
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 19, 2013
Pros: feeling valued
Cons: not being able to always assist irrate customer
Enjoyed the family oriented environment and loved my job from the beginning of the day until the end.
Horrible management
A nobody according to the upper management (Former Employee), TampaDecember 17, 2013
Pros: until 2010 it was a great place to work
Cons: everything sucks about the company now
This was a good company at first, until the new owners came in. They look down on everyone and treat you like you have no idea what you are doing. The upper management sucks, they all have the "I'm better than you" attitude and will treat employees like they are garbage. Pay was cut, bonus was taken away, and yearly reviews were horrible. I met and – more... exceeded all expectations and was given a 13 cent raise, which was embarrassing. I was with P1 for almost five years, and left because my manager was the worst I have ever worked for. She was an assistant that they made a Manager with no experience in dealing with employees (cheap labor I guess). It is a shame because it was a great place to work. – less
Job is a cool enviroment to work in
Monitoring Representative (Current Employee), Longwood, FLNovember 20, 2013
Typical day at work is helping the customer and making sure they are safe.
inconsistent managers
Account Manager (Former Employee), Wichita, KSOctober 29, 2013
if they dont like you they will find something to get you fired for. you can ask 3 different managers the same question and get 3 different answers.
Poorly managed and disorganized.
Commercial Monitoring Representative (Current Employee), Irving, TXSeptember 13, 2013
Typical days tend to be relaxed.
Management is not interactive.
Co-workers are friendly and very helpful.
You have to find things out on your own, training is limited.
Most enjoyable part of the job are the people.
This company stinks to high heaven. In essence this company looks bad, smells bad, and is bad. (Protection One = Political Opportunity)
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Wichita, KansasSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime and helped my 401k account out a lot
Cons: management staff stinks and is very political (protection one = political opportunity)
I was reading this e-mail and I wanted to make some comments about it. Please don't take this negative and I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but this e-mail along with what I will mention in this e-mail make me sick to my stomach. First of all; if Protection One spent more time with it's internal employees on promotional opportunities and less – more... time on external applicants on promotional opportunities then several things would occur in my estimation. We would have happier employees, a much lower turnover rate, & you wouldn't have employees like me going from full-time status to part-time status. I didn't totally take the position on with Coventry Healthcare due to the $0.30 increase in pay but because of a high level of dissatisfaction with the fact that I submitted for 24 internal positions within the last six months but couldn't cash in even with a perfect attendance record, working a ton of overtime, & I was always here. I would like to share with you one experience that I had recently. The department that I wanted to go to was AC&T. The supervisor that interviewed me in May & August 2012 told me that the only reason why I didn't get the position both times was because I didn't have the AC&T crosstraining but I explained that both times I wanted my name added to the list of people to be in the crosstraining class. In September or October there was a rumor that a AC&T crosstraining class was coming up and I asked my direct supervisor about this and after attending a supervisor meeting told me that there wasn't anything on the calendar for training for the rest of 2012. I just recently found out from a good friend in AC&T that they just had a AC&T crosstraining class. This makes me upset because I never was asked if I wanted to participate in the crosstraining class and proves to me that Protection One doesn't care about it's internal employees. I will always be a great employee to Protection One and I like my role now being part-time on Saturday & Sunday working 8:30 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. and I work Coventry Healthcare from 6:30 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Monday thru Friday. Thank You for taking the time to read this but I felt like I had to make my feelings heard. – less
Good values
Alarm Technician (Current Employee), Wichita, KSSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: met great people
Cons: pay was a little low for what we do
Company has a high rating with customers, and is a decent place to work as a technician, however, the pay is not as good as it could be. For this type of work, not only must you know how to install an alarm system, but how to interact with customers in a professional manner.
Need help with management
Monitoring Rep II (Former Employee), Cypress, CASeptember 3, 2013
Pros: we had shift potlucks for almost every holiday or birthday
Cons: management needs a lot of help
Working for Protection One was very stressful. You never knew what changes you were going to be hit with as you walked in the door. A lot of yelling from supervisors and miscommunication between employees and management. Management at Protection One (CMS) isn't one that's very easy to talk to. Its hard working for a company when you feel that if there – more... is a problem it will not get solved. My co workers and myself were more like family. We interacted well at work as well as outside of work. Till this day I still keep in touch with most of the people on my shift. I would say the hardest part of the job was "mandating". Having children and finding out ten minutes before you are off of work that you have to stay over 2-4 extra hours is a very inconvienant. Also if there is an emergency (sick in the hospital, death in family etc) and you are unable to make it to work you will be marked with a point. The company is on a point system which is a good and a bad thing. It seemed as if the company didn't understand that the employees lives don't start and end at work. – less
alarm montioring rep
Customer Service (Former Employee), Wichita, KSAugust 27, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
answered alarm calls

micromanaged to the fullest and does not care about employees and management terrible
Fun place to work but stressful
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Irving, TXAugust 23, 2013
Its was fun being a supervisor at this company but a little stressful because of employee cut backs
Nice place of employment
Licensing Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 15, 2013
Worked in the legal department. Nice environment and good people.

1 2 3 4

About Protection One, Inc.

Safety is the #1 priority for Protection One (P-One). The company provides security alarm monitoring services to about 1.5 million – Read more