Protection One, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Very good work
Commercial Installer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 8, 2015
Great field to get in to. Required a lot of travel.

The coworkers where great, the management can be frustrating.

I was up and gone before the sun rose and didn't get home until after the sun set.
Sales Coordinator
Sales Coordinator/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 1, 2013
Sales Coordinator/Customer Service Representative
- Direct contact with customers to identify needs and deliver quality services and products.
- Commitment to providing value added services to external and internal customers, including product knowledge, technical support and quality service in a timely manner.
- Creating and maintaining customer peace of mind.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lack of advancement
Productive , and fun place
Fire Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJuly 23, 2012
Respond to various emails, and answer various phones. Assist in explaining life and safety guidelines and systems both commercial and residential. Co-Workers are enjoyable,and management has a strong belief in open door policy. Also met various individuals across the nation through our monitoring and call centers.
Pros
great benefits, steady schedule
Cons
not enough manpower, specity field so difficult to find qualified workers
Customer service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 14, 2015
My day consist of answering phone calls from Protection one customers and assisting them with their needs as far as their accounts and security systems. My co-workers are amazing and very comfortable to work with. The best part about my job is hearing when I have helped a customer out and they like talking to me.
great training and management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 21, 2015
inbound call center for security systems. sitting at a desk answering customers needs helping with their billing and assisting them with alarms.
Worked there for years
National Key Account Representative II (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 27, 2015
After 4 years at this company I was trained in 7 different departments and loved the key account team that I worked in. I did everything from account creation/servicing/billing/tech support (in house, and for emergency service techs) and was the go to person for everything for specific accounts.
Pros
handling everything for large companies, overcoming obstacles with knowledge.
Cons
Financial issues within the company (2004)
Very technical Job
Dealer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 6, 2015
This was a technical job that required data entry and security system trouble shooting. I've learned quite a bit. When I started there it was in an entry level job. I had no prior knowledge in this industry. I worked in the call center and managed to move up into management through hard work. I had a manager that was willing to take me under his wing and teach me what I needed to do the job. My co-workers were great, I still maintain many of them as friends. This industry constantly changes and keeping up with the changes was the hardest part of the job.
productive
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 25, 2015
daily processing of orders
confirmation of orders with purchase orders
projects from management
answering calls and checking inventory
tracking orders to be shipped out
Pros
co-workers
Protection One in a nutshell
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 9, 2013
The company is generally well lead and the the work is enjoyable. The regional manager in my area was famous for his demanding nature and work tended to be 24/7/365 for people in the Kansas City area. I don't believe this was a company policy. Other branches are probably more reasonably led.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
work hours
routine trained for any scenario that unexpected and past experience
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 19, 2015
professional environment discipline,friendly people to work with and knowledge your work and efforts.
training tools and school to fit the Job tasks.
it was a great place to work
Collections Rep/ Customer service (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 3, 2015
taking calls from customers about there bills that are in collections and finding out why they let the bill go to collections and fix issues and collecting funds
Pros
was a great job
Cons
they closed our office and moved to another state
not good
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Tigard OrAugust 29, 2015
They really did not treat employee's well at all. No opportunities and poor pay or job requirements. would not recommend working here.
Decent pay, good benefits, low morale for employees
Commercial AC&T Rep I (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 13, 2012
The overall pay and benefits were good but the morale for employees was low due to various expectations that were very difficult to obtain on a consistent basis.
benefits
Cons
have to clock out to use the restroom
Very motivation place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 9, 2015
Enjoyed the commission opportunites and as well as the OT that was onstantly given. Free snacks and beverages was given everyday.
Run
residential technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Lombard IllinoisApril 21, 2015
Work there for a year never had a chance to make something at the job very poor management needs a lot of work if you do decide to work now have a lot of patients overtime is a must on time suck especially if you're a technician no tech-support at all was very unhappy working for protection one
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
learn how to manage yourself management has no support for you at all
Sales Staff Quit at a 98% turn-over rate, in just 7 months!
Residential Security Consultant (sales) (Former Employee) –  Irving, TexasFebruary 17, 2014
A Short Career with Protection One

My start date with Protection One residential sales was June 3rd 2013. They hired 6 of us, all without any discernible reason. If you could use the bathroom and hit the water you were on-board.

The “training” was fragmented, catch-as-catch can and haphazard to give a mild description. In the first 30 days 3 of the 6 new hires quit without drama. None were asked to leave.

Moving into the field we were told there are 2 kinds of sales; “self-gens” and “company leads.” The high priority went to “self-generated” sales. These “sell-gens” were achieved by knocking on the doors of strangers and referrals. Sales from company leads paid about 1/3 of “self-gens” because as explained, these leads cost marketing money to produce.

Management mouthed the term “self-gen” with a frequency akin to GEICO™ insurance advertising. This repetition did not boost morale or increase sales by any discernible measure.

Our sales literature claimed Protection One to be the second largest electronic security company in the industry. Advertising within our metropolitan trading area and throughout the nation was and still is practically non-existent. In the absence of radio, television and print promotions we were a no-name enterprise even among competitors. This made “self-gen” sales that much harder to accomplish.

Payment of our commissions was a Byzantine bureaucratic struggle that involved multiple websites and signatures even after the contracts were signed, money collected and security systems installed. We often had to wait an extra 14 days to receive large portions
  more... of pay.

Discussions with management about the troubles around compensation were greeted phrases like “I don’t have access to that”, “It is what it is” and “Well, we’re all in the same boat”.

Within 60 days of my June 3rd 2013 start date I was the only man standing out of the 6 new hires. One hundred twenty days after my hire our sales manager left us to micro-manage some other beleaguered souls at ADT.

News came to us that Protection One had acquired a smaller company to lead our residential sales team. This company was rumored to have a Better Business Bureau rating of “F” and a litany of litigation due to non-compliance of various state laws. Rumor gave way to self-verification by visiting contractors from the acquisition. These “F” rated folks were to direct us in the field. They in-turn answered only to their out-of-state superiors. Months of delay and manic decision-making obstructed the path to future consumer complaints. I guess someone thought our company culture of excellent customer service coupled with an A+ rating would somehow inform this newly purchased unpleasant reputation.

By November 2013, 2 of the 4 salesmen on-board for about a year’s tenure took a powder. This left the residential sales department with just 3 of us and no manager. Three salesmen were all that remained to respond to company leads. According to the last U.S. Census our market space has a population count of 6,526,548 and encompasses 9,286 square miles. At this juncture, we were told to abandon our “self-gen” efforts.

In mid-January the acquisition’s sales manager moved to our area. Without a word to us he took the company leads from us and pocketed the sales for himself. Our local management objected but alas, was powerless to stop his thievery. The new manager participated in benefits like us, but received no salary or performance bonuses and no cell phone or gasoline allowances. Unlike a traditional sales manager he had no stake in our success. Clearly he needed to use our company leads to produce income. This was also a way to starve us into knocking on cold doors in the cold winter.

I resigned by quietly returning my laptop and security badge to the branch administrator. I’m certain no one was surprised.
Pros
benefits were decent
Cons
terrible management, no sound business model.
This company stinks to high heaven. In essence this company looks bad, smells bad, and is bad. (Protection One = Political Opportunity)
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KansasSeptember 10, 2013
I was reading this e-mail and I wanted to make some comments about it. Please don't take this negative and I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but this e-mail along with what I will mention in this e-mail make me sick to my stomach. First of all; if Protection One spent more time with it's internal employees on promotional opportunities and less time on external applicants on promotional opportunities then several things would occur in my estimation. We would have happier employees, a much lower turnover rate, & you wouldn't have employees like me going from full-time status to part-time status. I didn't totally take the position on with Coventry Healthcare due to the $0.30 increase in pay but because of a high level of dissatisfaction with the fact that I submitted for 24 internal positions within the last six months but couldn't cash in even with a perfect attendance record, working a ton of overtime, & I was always here. I would like to share with you one experience that I had recently. The department that I wanted to go to was AC&T. The supervisor that interviewed me in May & August 2012 told me that the only reason why I didn't get the position both times was because I didn't have the AC&T crosstraining but I explained that both times I wanted my name added to the list of people to be in the crosstraining class. In September or October there was a rumor that a AC&T crosstraining class was coming up and I asked my direct supervisor about this and after attending a supervisor meeting told me that there wasn't anything on the calendar for training for the rest of 2012.  more... I just recently found out from a good friend in AC&T that they just had a AC&T crosstraining class. This makes me upset because I never was asked if I wanted to participate in the crosstraining class and proves to me that Protection One doesn't care about it's internal employees. I will always be a great employee to Protection One and I like my role now being part-time on Saturday & Sunday working 8:30 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. and I work Coventry Healthcare from 6:30 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Monday thru Friday. Thank You for taking the time to read this but I felt like I had to make my feelings heard.  less
Pros
lots of overtime and helped my 401k account out a lot
Cons
management staff stinks and is very political (protection one = political opportunity)
Highly stressful and fast paced environment.
Monitoring Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 27, 2015
Very fast paced 24 hour call center environment. Learned a lot on the need to quickly respond to home, business and medical alarms in a timely manner. Learned the procedures after a 5 week training which prepared me once I was working on the floor as a monitoring representative. The hardest part of the job is making sure you take the next call within 2 minutes and completing call within 2 minutes or less.
Pros
schedule is convenient
Cons
really short breaks
Difficult, demanding and stressful
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland OregonDecember 31, 2014
Management lacks vision, sets unrealistic goals, and refuses to properly train employees. Employee is expected to have immediate understanding of job roles and expert level of performance at all times. Job related training is non-existent, employee is expected to meet all goals at all times.

Would not recommend working for company on any level.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
no training, poor management, hostile workplace
Excellent experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 26, 2015
This company evolved over the years I was there thru five buy-outs/takeovers. I learned to adapt to different systems and priorities.
Pros
varied according to parent company. excelent management traing under westinghouse.
Cons
constantly changing