Protective Life Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Great coworkers horrible managment and training
Claim exaiminer (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 19, 2016
I was employed with protective for 5 years. I lived an breathed this company. I started in the annuity contact center and worked very hard to be as productive as I could and master all of the different products that were handled. After being burned out by call center work and a new system being put in place that monitors every second of your day, I applied for a position in the claims department. The training in this department was awful I was trained by a representative who was barely meeting their own goals. My systems were not fully up and running for 6 months. I struggled to met expectations which no one else was held to besides me (every claim looked at 100%). It was an awful transition hr ended up getting involved and was shocked at the lack if training I received. The training in the call center was also awful I learned everything on my own, with no financial background. This is not a good choice if you have done the exact same work at another life insurance company. The pay is slightly higher than average but the amount of stress is not worth the one or two dollars more an hour. I reffered a few people to this company while working there and no one stayed longer than a few months, and they were qualified canitdiates.
Pros
Great volunteer opputunties, awsome coworkers, slightly higher pay than comparable companies
Cons
Horrible managment, micro managing, managment acted very superior. Awful training
Room For Improvement
Operational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 29, 2016
Overall, the company structure doesn't allow for vertical movements. The management does not work well with employees, nor do they feel invested in those employees. Ultimately, I resigned from the position.
Pros
Community involvments, paid holidays
Cons
Micomanagement, Lack of conern for personel
Good job
IT analyst intern (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILNovember 19, 2015
I liked it and it was a good IT experience.. I would work there again. My boss was awesome and the job was not stressful. I also learned a lot of new things.
Typical call center
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 28, 2015
My typical day consists of logging into a phone system and conducting interviews. There is an occasional shift between inbound and outbound calls and call times are widely ranged.
Qa/trainer/ar specialist
QA/TRAINER/AR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  DALLAS TEXASApril 9, 2015
Post and balance billing. Train new employees. Reconcile and collect on past due accounts. Check system and billing for accuracy.
Pros
FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT
Cons
LAID-OFF
Fast paced productive work place
Policy Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 2, 2015
Nice place to work with valid benefits. The true value is in the service to the customers and the people with whom you work. Leadership is clear, fair and respectful of life/work balance.
Over all protective is a great company to work for, opportunity to grow
Access Operator II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 23, 2015
Productive, great attitude, when ask to do another work task will do my best with a smile. I prepped and scanned life, annuity , and term life insurance files to be put out on occorde, meaning out on the system to be veiwed by customers. Sometimes worked on special projects that had a time limit on.
Pros
provide my own lunch, have my own car, i come ready to work.
Cons
there is never a boring moment at protecive always something going on, there are different activities to participate in arts crafts, singing in the choir, fun times during football season etc.
No room for growth
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 21, 2014
Fun, laid back environment which helps deal with the stress (for some people) of daily activities. However, some departments do let ALOT go unpunished and what was fun at the start tends to turn into mismanagement.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
managment
great company to work for
corp accounting (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 26, 2014
great company to work for,
onsite gym
care about employees' work-life balance
provide on job training
Friendly people, business casual culture, short workday on Fridays, good location
Business Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 10, 2014
Awesome learning experience as an intern, I was able to shadow several different departments I found interesting. Everyone is very helpful, nice, and genuine.
Great job
Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 3, 2014
great place to work , enjoyed the associates and company while I was working there
hours change at drop of a hat
customer service (Former Employee) –  Elgin, IlOctober 30, 2013
A typical day at work is that you come in , plug into your phone and computer and just sit and answer calls,. you are not allowed to leave your desk for any reason and if you do you have to "clock in and out" with the reason you are leaving your desk. you get 1/2 lunch and the two 15minute breaks are discouraged, you are told your hours when you are hired and then afterwards your hours can be changed by your management at any time. They seem to feel that family life is not important. you are basically strapped to your desk and not allowed to leave it for 8 hours. the co workers are very nice however you really aren't able to socialize as you have to stare at your computer. the benefits are great however.
Pros
benifits, incentives for healthy lifestyle
Cons
breaks are discouraged, strongly monitored by management.
Nice place to work. Enjoyment would depend on department
Financial Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 2, 2013
Nice place to work. Moved up fast. Good benefits with lots of PTO
Pros
time off, location, advancement
Cons
politics, happiness dependent on department you're in
Claims Analyst – Business Analyst/QA Tester
Claims Analyst – Business Analyst/QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlAugust 6, 2013
I loved working for PLICO, it was a family atmosphere; I worked at PLICO from June 1985 until 2000 when they sold their dental block of business. Yes sometimes the salary incentive was low and it seemed they wanted more bang for the buck than they were willing to pay. The benefits were good, flex time was awesome it allowed me to make appts. with out having to request time off to go the doctor, dentist, etc… I always thought they pretty much kept the employee in mind.

Their incentive for good health was very evident they offered all types of incentives to help you achieve a good healthy life style. We had marathons, a gym with up to date equipment, aerobic classes.

I hope the company is still as good to their employees as they were in the past.
Pros
flex time
Cons
n/a
Respectful work environment
New Business Editor / Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILJuly 15, 2013
Good place to work, Everybody is very friendly good work environment.
Pros
early friday leave
Cons
short lunch but worth it
Good benefits
Supervisor of Distribution Support (Current Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILJuly 15, 2013
Protective was an okay place to work. I have stayed here for over 5 years because of the benefits. However, during that time I had to work a second job because I was not compensated enough to live. My personality does not fit a corporate office atmosphere, and I have an opportunity to get benefits elsewhere so I am looking to move on.
benefits
Cons
commute
Unpredictable
New Business Processor (Former Employee) –  BirminghamMarch 1, 2013
Work days can be extremely long. Weekend work is required with little to no advance knowledge. Co-workers are "clicqued" and do not take kindly to outsiders. Policies and rules change on a daily basis. So much so that I found myself keeping abreast to the changes while at home. Homework again?? Bad location. The pay is great...that is all.
Pros
pay
Cons
no lunch/break or stay until 7 pm. too many infriendly female clicques
Horrible Job
Sales (Former Employee) –  St LouisFebruary 22, 2013
Just a pathetic environment
Extended auto warranties trying to hard sell the customer

Treat employees horribly and a dead end job with no future

Do not apply
Loved this employer
Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 12, 2012
I really learned a lot at this job, unclaimed property was a very interesting position, I learned how to research stocks for clients, reconciled unclaimed property for 25 insurance companies. My coworkers were great. The advancement opportunities were good.
Pros
great place to work, compensation was compatible with the position.
Cons
layed off after outside audit company deemed the department to large.
Protective Life Corporation had a good work environmnet.
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherstefield, MOMay 23, 2012
- I had a contract assignement from April-July-2011.
- People were great to work with.
- Very busy work days, lots of overtime work.

2.8