Provena Health Employee Reviews

Poor management, poor co-workers with no leadership.
Maintenance Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 29, 2012
Check work orders that were not finished ( usually left by prior shift ) and complete. Check status of fire system, translogic tube transfer stations and all patient, exam and office areas that need attention.
Complete PM maintenance on equipment generated quarterly.

I found management unethical in their decisions and practices, they were more concerned with not making or considering changes that would improve their departments.

The co-workers were nice enough to know but would rather cross you when your back is turned. This would happen if you questioned how they went about repairing some of their assigned equipment. Management would cater to these workers so nothing would change.

The hardest part of the job was trying to be a team player, if I saw a co-worker having a hard time repairing a piece of equipment I would try to help them out but was verbally accosted for doing so.
Managements response to the matter was that I was not being a team player!
Pros
very nice job but hard to work.
Cons
the inmates are running the place!
A great jumping off point!
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 9, 2012
Days were hectic and stressful, but I learned to manage my time and work efficiently for my residents without sacrificing the quality of care. The management was okay, but could have taken into consideration the extent the job of a CNA entails because it really is mentally, emotionally and physically exhausting. The co-workers are a giant family, and anyone who works there will tell you that you can find a strong support group that works with you everyday. The hardest part of the job is not having enough time or hands to complete all the tasks before the time is up while trying to be kind, courteous, and considerate of your residents and their families who need you, even for the little things. The most enjoyable part of the job is giving back to those who gave before you. It is knowing that for maybe a minute or more you made someone more comfortable or happy when their situation is not the most favorable one.
Pros
holiday pay, thirty minute lunch uninterrupted, teamwork
Cons
short staffed, tedious electronic charting, e-mail based organization
Fun place to work with many caring and knowledgable coworkers
Cardiovascular Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 25, 2012
A typical day consisted of performing heart caths, EP studies with ablations, peripheral studies, PICC lines, and other minimally invasive procedures. I learned a great deal about the heart and how it functions. I assisted physicians with all types of procedures and learned best practices with sterile techniques. The management was lacking leadership and consistency among fellow employees but I admired many coworkers and learned as much from the senior employees that I could. The hardest part of the job was the poor attitudes of some of my coworkers and their ability to effect the entire department and not to mention working a full day after being called in during the middle of the night. The most enjoyable part of the job was the instant gratification of saving people's lives and feeling important. During the years I had been employed at the hospital being in the Cath Lab was the most enjoyable experience of them all.
Very active workplace
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILDecember 9, 2013
I was responsible for receiving information from patients while they visited the Emergency Room. I greeted the patients, if they were a returning patient I would confirm their information and validate their insurance coverage. If they were a brand new patient I would enter all of their necessary information into the computer. It was my duty to inform them of all legal documents and capture their signatures. Management was sure to update on any policies that had changed or were changing, and show you any problem areas and personally help you fix the paperwork if need be. My co-workers were very hard workers and great team players. The hardest part of the job was witnessing traumatic events and not showing negative emotions with the family members. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the patients and console them.
Pros
benefits, pay rate, actively on my feet, learning nurse and doctor language.
Cons
emotional effects
Enjoyable environment
File Clerk/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 13, 2012
Many things to keep me busy. I love working with and meeting new people and that is certainly available to anyone who works at a Provena location. Always curtious and kind, our patients love how we are with them and even though a hospital is not an enjoyable place to be, our patients like to come back to us. I love the people I work with and everyone is so willing to help each other out. I learned how to have real compassion for people and to really listen to what they say. The hardest part of the job is working alone sometimes when checking patients in and the phone is ringing but it doesn't happen too often. The most enjoyable part is meeting and talking to new people which is everyday and is one of the things I really like.
Pros
we get free lunches sometimes and free ice cream
Cons
as a registry employee i have no benefits
co workers made job-life enjoyable
billing and follow up rep (Former Employee) –  bolingbrook, ilNovember 18, 2014
typical day at work was contacting insurance company, checking on payment status. sending bills. validating payments. contacting patients for additional information IE COB forms. follow up with vendors for additional status. ( we had a vendor for form retrieval for high dollar claims)
the hardest part of the job was same issue getting no where.
IE a medicare exhaust patient was frequently in-house and claims were hit and miss to get paid. we would get to the point of sending to provider rep and still no resolution. trying to stay on top of these claims to get them paid to not fall thru the cracks is difficult.
the most enjoyable part is getting an old claim paid that management thought couldn't get reimbursed.
Pros
free coffee
Management didn't follow the Provena mission statement......
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 17, 2012
During my 5 plus years at PSJH, the management was always coming and going through an invisible revolving door. Nursing Directors were known to join together to bully other management and employees who worked under their supervision. HR was more of a "clique" who made it obvious when you weren't liked. They liked to hire friends and family of management which caused problems throughout the hospital. You can only hope the merge with Resurrection has helped change the majority of issues within the ministry.
Pros
great benefits, nice people to work with as long as you weren't in management
Cons
management did not stand by the mission statement set forth by the hospital, management bullied other employees
This a vary biased and undercover racist employer.
Security Officer II (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 27, 2012
I experienced being the only one that was willing to do the job as described in duties. My work day was full of various duties ranging from securing valuables to protecting patients and staff from agressive persons. Management was not forthcoming and often underhanded, from fear of their superiors retalliation of being honest, upright, and professional. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the people in charge not standing up to their written confession of being there for the community in the spirit of Jesus Christ. The best part of the job was helping someone in need.
Pros
helping people
Cons
lying, unfair treatment, nepotism, and racism
Technical Partner
Technical Partner (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJanuary 31, 2014
Did blood drawls, EKG's, basic patient care. I worked a lot of over time to make enough money to pay rent and bills. I learned a lot. I loved working with the patients and making them feel as comfortable as possible. Great work staff, some burnt out individuals, that made it uncomfortable to some.
Pros
great job, went home tired, knew i worked hard, made a difference, received many personal letters from families of patients and patients themselves, was honored with best techinian a couple of times.
Cons
some burnt out members made environment uncomfortable, some of other technicians were lazy, i can not stand lazy employees.
Provena Medical Group
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Channahon, ILJune 12, 2015
Being a medical assistant at Provena has provided me with a wide range of skills that I get to improve on everyday. A typical day can starts with blood draws before clinic starts. My day consist of rooming patients, taking vitals, administering injections, venipuncture, calling in medication refills, calling patients with lab and test results. I also schedule appointments and do a various of other front end jobs. The hardest part of my jobs making sure patient's follow-up. The best part of my job is taking care of patient's and there needs.
Pros
Busy schedule
Cons
Busy schedule
Overall I love working here but I would like to do more and learn more.
CNA (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 2, 2013
I enjoy being with and helping the residents with their needs and making a difference in their day. Learning more and more each day about Alzheimer's and Dementia. I get along very well with all my co-workers and they all like to follow me. The hardest part of my job is when we are understaffed and when someone that you care about has passed.
Pros
making a difference and making my residents feel special.
Cons
staffing and the quality of work of some co- workers who don't do their job to the fullest.
wonderful hospital/family to work for
Level II Nursery Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJanuary 18, 2013
I worked all shifts, holidays, weekends that are required, as a new graduate nurse. The hospital alway made it possible to continue your education and let you get the experience you needed to grow in your job. The people that work there are like a family, and it is very pleasant to be part of that. The hardest part of job is being new, but the most enjoyable part is they train you to feel comfortable, and compentent in every aspect of the job.
Pros
alway room for advancement and salary increases
Too hard to care for patients with broken systems and processes
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora IlAugust 4, 2013
Hard to be a manager at this hospital. Too many things need to be fixed and there is not enough money to run it even at a marginal level. Low level of education for most staff and management. Leadership changes so often there is no organizational wisdom. Culture of fear has moved this hospital to a place of secrets and lack of honesty.
Pros
some long timers are super-dedicated
Cons
not enough help to do any of the jobs there. no support staff, few people to do it all.
Productive and great place to advance job career
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 28, 2014
at any given time work flow (Nurse to patient ratio) can be challenging and patient's safety questioned but teamwork with other co-workers is what really keep patients safe and patient care manageable. the hardest part of the (RN) job is providing excellent care to every patient (no matter how hard one tries). And the best part is providing someone with assurance, hope, education and healing.
Pros
meetings with lunch/potlucks!!
Cons
nurse/pct shortage
I live to work not work to live
Assistant to C P O Director (Current Employee) –  New Lenox, Frankfort, Tinley ParkMarch 11, 2015
We were educated that the patient and their families came first.
We were instructed to go above and beyond an treat them like our
own family members.
Working holidays and weekends were expected and our behavior
and educational tests were evaluated in our annual reviews. I was in healthcare for 28 years and personal phone call were not permitted nor abusive language
Pros
schedules that you can change with co workers
Cons
holidays and weekends
Great Pays/Long Days
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILAugust 7, 2013
Management was always around. I worked in the emergency room so I learned that it is very important to be kind to people because you never know where they are coming from or what they are dealing with. The hardest part of the job was working in the emergency room and having to deal with death. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fast paced environment made the hours fly by.
Pros
great pay, great incentives.
Cons
coping with working 3 different shifts in one week.
overall is good place
Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 20, 2012
overall the job is good most days are uneventful-how to deal with the public and the proper ways to clean and sanitize-i have a good relationship with the managers-some of my co workers are very good and some don't belong there-being off from work seems to be a problem my co workers don't care so when i come it is amess-seeing the pt's doing better
Pros
we do get recognition for the good work we do
Cons
a few bad coworkers
Very busy environment w/ plenty of variety
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMarch 24, 2013
I like working in a hospital environment. My day mostly consisted of assembly & analysis of patient charts, making sure all physician signatures were present of marking them for future update. Also working with physicians on their charts answering any questions they might have. Pulled patient charts for other departments as well as other agencies.
Pros
variety in the workload
Cons
rarely took any breaks
Great Mission and Vision
Director of Medical Surgical Services (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 28, 2012
Provena has a great Mission and Vision and really lives by it. They have had too many changes in administration over the past five years which makes it difficult to know where you stand. Not much work / life balance but not sure that is true anywhere you work. Healthcare is hard these days. Middle management is a great team and work very well together and is supportive of each other.
Great organization to work , management is very flexible and caring
intake Casemanager, (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 10, 2013
I wish I could have stayed there management is very understanding when issues came up with families, ccoworkers are always willing to help in a difficult situation
Pros
they made sure every one in the department got lunche, s the manager was very k nowledgeable on case management issue
Cons
doctors not returning calls in a timely manner this was frustrated