Providence Alaska Medical Center Employee Reviews

Commercial Billing and Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99508September 17, 2017
Need more paid leave and do not take our PTO hours if there is a holiday. Need more improvement on communication among the employees. Provide secured place for the staff.
Not for the faint of heart
Core Leader (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 8, 2017
Everyone loves the mission of Providence but it is not always represented in day to day operations and struggles with integrity at the top, The right people are not hired for the roles associated and there is VERY much a disconnect with the leadership of the outpatient department- PMGA,

Great benefits but has had a very high turnover rates for staff, provider exits as well as Managers of clinics.

Upper Management in PMG does not appreciate what everyone does in their role and does not communicate with the teams which makes for very poor outcomes, expectations not being met and no unification as a whole
Great place to work depending on management of your department
A/R Resolution Specialist, Community Services (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 5, 2017
I worked for 3 different departments with Providence. As a whole, Providence is a great place to work. They pay well and they have great benefits. But, if you have poor management of you department, it makes for a miserable work environment.
A great place to work
Clinical Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 12, 2017
Providence was a great place to work, the hospital was very well maintained and the people that worked their was awesome. I learned so much about diversity, just living in Alaska and form working in an environment where there were people of all cultures that worked together for the greater good of the hospital. The most fulling part of the job for me was satisfying the patients. The hardest part of the job is dealing with prejudice. Also a great benefit of working their was there was room for growth.
Pros
offers numerous continuing education for work procedures
Cons
not enough employee parking
Great multi-disciplinary team work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 25, 2017
It was immensely satisfying to work with team members from multiple disciplines who are dedicated to providing the best care possible for our patients and their family members.
Pros
Loved working with patients in the care setting
Cons
It can be difficult when the best everyone can do is not enough
Active work place with many moving parts
primary care nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 2, 2017
I truly believe in what the Sisters of Providence set forth in the Core Values that we still use today. Compassion, Respect, Justice, Excellence and Stewardship are important things in any work place much less when your health is the topic. I took what I had learned at the Providence Transitional care Center and built on it at 3 West. I learned a lot about orthopedic nursing and built on my medical surgical training. I also worked with Cystic Fibrosis patients for the first time and many very knowledgeable doctors. There were many experienced nurses that were willing to teach me and I always had a will to learn more. We are taught to always have a questioning attitude and it is a great resource.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Short breaks, if you are too busy then the break just has to wait
Hostile Environment
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 18, 2017
It is a very good hospital, however every department has problems with people bullying each other. A lot of disgruntled employees. I found out that outsiders were not welcome.
Pros
Decent Healthcare, Covered parking
Cons
Hard to get time off, outsiders not from Alaska are shunned by other employees
Stable company
Sterile Processing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Providence Drive, Anchorage, AK 99508April 11, 2017
This job needs more time to learn because medical trays are too many that every employee should get to familiarize at a longer time. Working on medical instruments needs enough time so as not to compromise the safety of the patients who will use the set of instruments that we assembled. Though time pressure is normal but it should not be to the extent that the instruments are not properly checked because of the time pressure. Speed should not be the goal but accuracy more than anything
Pros
with Sick and Vacation hours obtained over time
Cons
Needs lifting most of the time
Career
Director, Safety & Security (Alaska Region) (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 30, 2017
Wonderful place to work. I look forward to coming to work everyday. Caring and compassionate people with a great mission. Everyone is willing to help. Quality care and reputation in and around the community.
Wonderful place to work
Medical Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 26, 2017
The staff at PAMC is amazing, training was great, helpful people, great salary, definite advancement opportunities. Great cafeteria, employee benefits, and great for patients.
Pros
Great salary and advancement opportunities
Cons
Too far from my home state
Outstanding support from management and staff - family feel
Administrative Assistant I & II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 14, 2017
Phones = customer service
computer work
to work as a team to help one another and depend on one another
management has always been supportive and understanding
work place becomes as family
enjoy the people I work with and the years I have been with PAMC
enjoy the hours and the pay level they offer
Most difficult part may be moving on from the culture of Providence
Pros
support understanding training pay work hours
Cons
leaving the people of Providence
Loved it
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 3, 2017
I worked in the Float Pool as a PCT and I love the star on all the floors they were all super nice and helpful the benefits were great as well. They also had their personal gym for the staff :)
Great people
Medical Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 15, 2016
Great people with big hearts but corporate is not in tune with the facility or the people. Corporate makes cuts without really knowing what it takes to run that big of a hospital.
Benefits
Cons
Corporate
I worked as a Concierge/ Transporter
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 8, 2016
In the morning I would make the rounds of the hospital looking for wheel chairs which we would use to transport patients or those who were unable to make the distances on their own. I along with my co-workers would transport people using wheel chairs, gurneys, beds and even golf carts.
I learned that most people in the hospital are frightened of the possible outcomes. We tried to make them as comfortable as possible.
My co-workers came from varied back rounds, from traumatic brain injuries, cancer survivors, to people who were going to be PAs, Doctors, Peace Corp volunteers and Clinical Counselors.
The hardest part of the job was seeing people in the Critical Care Unit , or the Emergency Room.
The most enjoyable part of the job was doing for others when they could not do for themselves.
Pros
My managers and co-workers.
Cons
Taking patients to dialisys when they didn't want to go.
Fast paced and great team
Clinical Informatics Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 3, 2015
Very fun and fast paced job. Plenty of room for advancement and lots of knowledge to obtain. Recommend to anyone looking to work the floor at a hospital.
great if you like alaska
Dietary Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 2, 2015
350 bed hospital very fast paced. co workers are great but the weather is a drag -25 below zero gets old fast. health insurance was really great. One of the largest hospitals in Anchorage. And had a neonatal unit that was one of the best.
Great Place to Work
MHS -Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  3760 Piper StOctober 17, 2014
Great place to work, good work culture. It is a good place to learn the basic job requirements and beyond.
Enjoyed the mental problem solving dilemmas
Supervisor General Radiology (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 16, 2014
I spent half of my ten hour shift in an office dealing payroll, hiring and firing, equipment evaluation and team direction. The remainder of my day was spent producing radiographs for the Radiologist for the sake of Hospital and emergency room patients. The toughest part of the job was working with the bickering of talented Radiographers. Which was also the best part.
Pros
Time was used as I saw best.
Cons
ineffective Department Director
Great staff. Poor Management. Not a data driven organization.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 6, 2014
PAMC Care mgmt is working hard to catch up to 21st century health care delivery. Mgmt is not equipped to handle staffing or development issues. Consulting group was brought in to re-work dept.
PAMC Review
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 28, 2014
1. Gathered patient tx data from schedule/system. Coordinated pt POC with care team. Provided pt care.
2. Excellent management- constructive feedback, always open to new ideas, prompt response to situations, listened to staff concern.
3.getting up early in the AM
4. Patients
Pros
Excellent management+ patient care approach
Cons
clout from long term co-workers