Providence Health & Services

Providence Health & Services Employee Reviews

Everybody is so stuck up
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA and olympia WASeptember 23, 2016
Doctors think they are God, nurses are bitter chunky women with short hair who sip syrupy coffees all day and yell at patients then call security to fix their dilemmas.

I worked at swedish medical center in seattle and at st peters in lacey. Swedish was pretty racist from leads all the way to supervisors and they had their clicks while management twiddled their thumbs. Horrible work culture.

St peters is a mess. Thats hillbilly nation over there. My biggest thing was i was a Lead at swedish but transfer to st peters and they have a guy whos only been in security 6 months versus my 6 years on how to do security it was extremely frustrating , plus all the nit picking. Im a quiet guy and do my job they even would complain about me being too quiet and not enthusiatic enough. Bunch of slave masters.
benefits
Cons
Management, nurses, doctors
Providence Alaska is a good place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 3, 2016
I have been here for a few years, and while there are a lot of changes, it is still a positive place to work. I feel that the culture of providence is very caring and the care recieved it top notch. I like to share my good experiences of Providence with others. Just like any workplace, it isn't perfect, but there is a sense of caring and respect, which shows more than anywhere I have worked. There is good training opportunities and I like how the company shares info on their internal employee page.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, It's value to the community, respectful employees
Cons
Too many decisions not made in Alaska which don't make sense to Alaska.
outstanding customer service in helping patients resolve theirl insurance claims.
Supervisor/Manager/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 9, 2016
This is a faith based organization with a mission to inspire teamwork, excellence, stewardship and respect for all. I enjoyed my years working there and would still be there if the jobs had not been moved to Portland, OR. Providence is a culturally diverse employer with respect for all races & nationalities.
Pros
Provides all the usual benefits including paid vacation & sick leave, Celebrates all people, Occasionally provided lunch or pizza when there was a need for overtime work.
Cons
Some managers and supervisors did not have the skills necessary to provide great leadership.
A great place to work and great people, but the money isn't there
Accounts Receivable Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 7, 2016
Providence is a fantastic employer to work for. They are absolutely amazing in so many ways and there are perks to being employed there. Compensation is the lowest rated item for me because they pay based on experience, and it's a low rate at that. Advancement takes forever and they do NOT believe in early promotions based on qualification or performance, but instead believe in promoting when they say the budget calls for it. They have the ability to give 10% raises, but you will only ever see 3%. Great place, but money talks...
Pros
Good environment to work in, very autonomous
Cons
Money isn't there, promotions happen very infrequently
Great staff with poor management
Family care Center RN (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 21, 2016
The unit staff are great and hard working. It is a very small unit with decor from the 70's. Management doesn't support the staff very well. The current manager does not understand the policies of AWWON and therefore the policies are broken. Most of the time the staff is put in dangerous situations and are expected to float during emergencies. The patients are great to work with and the unit staff work together.
Pros
Benefits are good. Great unit staff
Cons
Lunch breaks are viewed by the hospital charge as being lazy.
Good atmosphere to work in, poor management.
Dietary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 28, 2016
A typical day at work was very repetative, did the same thing every day. I learned alot about nutrition and using different nutrtion programs on the computer to keep track of the hundreds of patient's diets at the hospital to help them keep on track with their specific diet. The management was very poor. They were not good at communicating with staff members, many things were heard by word of mouth from coworkers.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bad management, no room for promotion
Good company if you find the right group
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAOctober 17, 2016
Healthcare is a tough industry going through some ground-shaking transitions right now.
Mission-dedicated leadership makes all the difference at Providence. However that dedication needs to be present at every level of leadership. Wherever a leader is more focused on bottom lines than easing people's way, everyone underneath them suffers.
Pros
The good leaders are really really good and inspire the best in those who work for them.
Cons
Health benefits and vacation accrual are sub-par.
Challenging work place.
CLINICAL RESEARCH FINANCIAL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 7, 2016
A typical day would be research of information.

I learned that detail and communication is vital.

Management is great source for growth.

Co workers are great people and reliable.

The hardest part of the job is keeping up with so much information.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that my work matter and makes a difference.
Pros
Flexibility of schedules
Cons
Low compensation
Poor management
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 13, 2016
Puts forth a "caring attitude" towards employees, however, it is just like any other large corporation, whatever benefits the company is what matters. Hired for a per diem RN position, told the manager in the interview I wished to work 1-2 days a week. was let go just before my 90 day probation (was told it was just the logistics of my 90 days coming up) because I could only work the 1-2 days and the company needed someone who would work more days. Was told my job performance was excellent, but they just could not use me any longer. No prior notice of their decision before I was "let go", not fired (their words). HAHA
Pros
benefits and team of people in the dept
Cons
Poor management
Great teamwork and supportive atmosphere
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 1, 2016
Providence was a wonderful place to work and I enjoyed my time while I was there. I had a wonderful supervisor who was very approachable and made an effort to make sure her staff was happy. I was lucky to work with a team that was very supportive, teamwork oriented, and treat each other like family. On a personable note Providence as a whole has always provided excellent care to my family and friends and is a company I am happy to stand behind and support their mission and goals. Salary was pretty good and starting wage was based on years of experience with opportunity for pay raises.
World Class Non-profit Organization to work for
Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 15, 2016
Providence Health and Services is one of the best employer to work for in Oregon. Employer offer fair wages and benefits. Great advancement opportunities within the Organization.
Pros
Diversed background
Cons
There's no negatives about this employer
Very forward-focused healthcare organization
Senior Leadership Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 18, 2016
The Mission and Core Values are the foundation of this business, set over 150 years ago by the Sisters of Providence. This message rings out through most every part of this business, even as the healthcare industry faces the challenges of making its way into the 21st Century.
Pros
Pay and benefits are quite competitive
Great values, a good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 5, 2016
I love my boss.
From scheduling to supply ordering, spreadsheets to access issues, I'll take care of it all. I've learned flexibility, initiative to learn and create, and the importance of communications through all levels of staff. My manager is fantastic, and all the way up to Sr. VP they are great and accessible. Upper management is super cool and personable and its a wonderful place to work. My co-workers are friendly and hard working. The hardest part of my job is not being paid enough. The most enjoyable part of my job is connecting with the people I work with and taking care of them.
Pros
cheap bus pass - like 5 bucks a month, relative freedom
Cons
not competitive pay and benefits leave much to be desired especially to be in healthcare
bad work life balance
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 31, 2016
This place pretended to care about it's employees. In reality it was a bad work environment where salary employees were taken advantage of. There is a huge obesity problem among employees at this employer which is indicative of the bad work life balance.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad work life balance
Good company, hard to advance in administrative roles
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 19, 2016
Providence is an upstanding organization with generous benefits and policies. However, the Renton, WA location has many administrative roles that are difficult to progress in.
Pros
Healthcare
Providence
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 9, 2017
This company has amazing benefits. I enjoy my every day work. Office is located by Providence Portland Medical Center, if you dont live in Portland, expect traffic.
Non Profit
Senior Preboarding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 29, 2016
Great place to work. Awesome benefits. Great Training and Development Opportunities. It is a Non Profit so they are exceedingly particular about the operating budget.
Great health coverage
Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2016
The health benefits are great for singles. The health, dental and vision are all at very affordable prices and you have adequate coverage.
Very Busy very productive
Medical Assistant/ Referral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Medford, ORDecember 11, 2016
I have a great job and management has been so supportive and helped me advance in my work career.
I am always busy and very productive, in my position I have 70 doctors that will request different things each day and I am responsible to process all of the diagnostic studies with the insurance companies.
My work group is just like family and they are the greatest to work with.
The best part of my job is that I work independently and love the ability to get the approvals in a very timely manner
Pros
being independant
Cons
I am leaving because I am Moving out of state
Overall, the employees at Providence live the mission and goals
Project Manager II (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 29, 2016
I've had several opportunities to learn new skills and knowledge and have met many kind, smart and hard-working people. I've also had the chance to travel to several beautiful areas of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. The ambitious roll out of Epic at the acute sites was stressful in the moment, but was great at building skills and confidence.
Pros
Large organization, varied job opportunities, mission, people
Cons
Opportunities for upward mobility, salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Providence Health & Services. Our community is ready to answer.