Providence Hospitals Employee Reviews

Sometimes can be a very fast pace enviroment
Lead food worker (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 7, 2017
We have had a few different company working with us and they all kind a bring different ways but for the most is ok. The environment and coworkers are pretty good but we have a very poor management team in charge.
Knowledge and training acquired
English-Spanish Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 27, 2017
I do have good knowledge acquired at Providence. I am vey thankful with the sisters and their ideology, and because this was my job for several years. Unfortunately, the hospital has gone through horrible Administrations and that is what has taken the hospital into the ugly economic crisis. Many have lost their jobs and there is no job stability there. Besides, I worked as a PRN and they were not calling me at all. So, I was not making enough money.
Pros
Name
Cons
Economic crisis
the people are like family
Informatics Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 17, 2017
the people you work with are like family and great to work with
this is a good place to work if you do not get micro managed and are allowed to complete a project from start to finish without interruption.
the staff at the worker-bee level are keeping things moving and do a better job if the management staff does not continue to change the rules mid shift. the expectations are not always clearing laid out in a clear manner. difficult to keep up with this manner of management.
as the new systems settle in it should get better and as the family of staff continue to work together it will continue to improve
Pros
people
Cons
less people so more stress for those left to fill in the gaps
Float Pool RN (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 7, 2017
I worked for them almost 4 years ago, so a lot may have changed but when I worked there, doing Float Pool, it was a good job. I made my own schedule. Compensation was great.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Some annoying people. but you
Evs
EVS Tech (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 6, 2017
I was a PRN in EVS, did not hire me full time. Need a full time job. The company was a good job. I work clean rooms and office. I work 3 until 11 or 3 until 9:30. I was at work every day . I
Acute Care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 31, 2016
This was an overall fair hospital to work at. The benefits are great. It can be challenging at times due to the severity of patient illness, but it is a good learning experience.
Benefits
Cons
Challenging
It was a nice hospital, most staff were very pleasant and team players
Staff Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 1, 2016
I only worked here for a few months PRN. I would definitely suggest a new grad RT to pursue a start for training. You get to see a good variety of Intensive care to general Floor therapy. The Respiratory Director is a very nice and genuinely good woman. I left because it was slow and didn't get many hours
Pros
Great Dr's and Intensive care
Cons
a little low on the national pay scale
ER nurse in a fun attmosphere
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 4, 2015
Taking care of all patients from STEMIs to sore throats. I learned so much at this job. (too much to explain) Management was great. My co-workers were wonderful. I continue to keep in touch with most of them to this day. The hardest part of the job was that I worked every weekend.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
no lunches
Good people to work with in the Information Technology Department
Information Technology Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 20, 2015
Good people. I like working in Information Technology. Everyday was different. Good manager. It was nice working with the different patient care departments and assisting with the technology they needed for patient care.
Pros
nice people
Good people to work with in the Information Technology Department
Information Technology Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 16, 2015
Providence Hospitals Information Technology department is a nice place to work. The people are fun to work with. The job is challenging and that is why it is fun. Every day is an adventure.
Pros
Co-workers are great
Cons
Uncertain future
Productive workplace
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 6, 2015
The IS Department is no nonsense. It is currently managed by local directors who are supervised by a CIO and a CTO. Employees are on-call for at least one week per month and may have to cover for team members when they are unavailable.

Work/life balance can be improved in light of the PTO structure.

No Telecommuting is available, except on a case by case bases (like if you have sick dependents).
wonderful work place
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 21, 2015
enjoy my coworkers, they are my second family.
The best part of working here is the patient satification.
The worst part is like all hospitals is being so short staffed.
Unless you want to constantly worry about job security dont bother
Professional (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 27, 2014
I worked for Providence and for it to be run by the Sisters, I think they would be aptly disappointed in what the hospital has become. A majority of the management is not qualified to be in their positions, and the overall culture and atmosphere is not only depressing, but everything is swept under the rug.

If you are the type of person not to look the other way when things are not being done correctly, do not even bother working here. They prefer employees with no morals.
The Clinical Educator Position is one of the best positions I have ever held.
Clinical Educator/Simulation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 20, 2014
The education department is a very close knit and wonderful area to work. The only reason I left is because my position was eliminated. The director tried everything to keep us all but was unable to. Job security and advancement are not so good.
Friendly work environment
Inpatient Medical Records Coder (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 1, 2013
Coders were able to communicate with each other in order to achieve better record production and quality. The work environment was very open and welcoming.
Pros
Working on one chart type
Cons
Pay wasn't competitive
The respiratory manager is a horrible horrible person
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 9, 2013
Horrible Respiratory Manager! STAY AWAY!!!! Seriously, this place is the black hole. Not a good place to start working right out of school if you need development/ training. The salary is on par with the other hospitals in Columbia, but it is not worth the pay. Lots of turn over in the Respiratory Department, and this is due in large part to a manager that is incompetent, has no clue how to encourage and train new employees, and promotes a negative culture.

Pros
Salary
Cons
Incompetent management/ No training/ development
Unable to walk the talk
Team player (Current Employee) –  DowntownApril 3, 2013
Great mission vision and values, unfortunately so few buy into it, I found it becomes almost impossible to do. There is a great need to eradicate subterfuge. Poor training for new staff.
Pros
health and wellness
Cons
inconsistent with policy. turnover is high. training is poor. paid time off is not good. fake
Christian environment but struggling financially in local market.
Patient Advocate (formerly Director of Volunteers) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 28, 2013
Good mission and values. Very busy, intense environment. Employees always expected to put organization first. Wellness program for employees initiated but not fully developed. Compensation in line with local market for similar positions.
Pros
christian principles emphasized in the environment
Cons
management cutting staff to remain competitive in marketplace.
Communication among management and staff could be better.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 15, 2012
I worked at this hospital as a professional. Communication sometimes was often poor between clinical management and staff. Managers needed to use their role as more of an educator and trainer rather than be punitive. Some of the units were chaotic and the work flow was not consistent. Majority of the staff were friendly and helpful but there were a few "butts". The case management director (often a nurse) position was a constant turn over which proved to be inadequate clinical oversight for the case managers and social workers.
Pros
pay is okay. many caring staff for patients and each other. caferia on site.
Cons
poor paid time off, felt married to job, overtime without pay, lack of work space, no ceus for sws offerred.
A non-profit Catholic organization licensed (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 26, 2012
Due to budget reasons I am no longer employed in this hospital, but in the future I will be happy to return.
Pros
caring and knowledgeable staff and doctors