Provo Canyon School Employee Reviews

Great leadership building skills
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 30, 2017
Provo Canyon School was a great place to work. The only thing is the upper management was always micromanaging and always had to make things harder for us as staff. I was given a higher position which was supposed to get a dollar fifty raise but that never happened. They promoted me and gave me more work for less pay. The environment was a fun one. The management was the only thing I didn’t enjoy dealing with.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Locked in the facility all day, not very good pay.
NOT Worth It!
Student Life Mentor (Current Employee) –  Springville, UTSeptember 12, 2017
This isn't a good place to work! The administrators treat you badly and you will burn the candle on both ends. And if you have a troubled kid I wouldn't send them to Provo Canyon School to get better, only to keep them out of trouble.
Pros
You get meals whenever the patients do
Cons
Bad hours, bad management, emotionally draining, and VERY unsafe
Great manager, stressful job
Student Life Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springville, UTJuly 29, 2017
great working with teenagers, helping them succeed in life. but job can be a bit Intense at times, Stress came from too much responsibility for too litle pay as well as having to perform restraints.
Pros
management
Cons
stress
great group of people and very structured program for youth
Clinical Services Team Coach (Former Employee) –  Provo Canyon, UTJuly 13, 2017
I was team coach in the clinical services department. We took care of teenage girls between the ages of 13 and 18 in a lock down facility. There were therapists, teachers, nurses, coaches, chefs all located in the facility. This was a very structured environment that taught me a lot. It could be both rewarding and unrewarding at times. This is a very mentally challenging job for my personality type, but it was a great opportunity for me to learn and grow.
Pros
People, structure
Cons
People, mentally challenging (it was hard to detach at times)
Hard but worth it
Mentor of Student Life (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 2, 2017
My experience at PCS was good. The students are hard to deal with sometimes but the support that you receive from the fellow staff and management is great
It was a fun experience
Custodian/Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 17, 2017
Very fun to have the chance and work for a school that has limited job opportunities. As a custodian my job responsibility was to make sure the school hallways, kitchen, laundry room,and dorms were mopped, the trash taken out, and windows were clean. The hardest part of the job is patience. I have to wait on other people who are working slowly. I have to learn to be patient with other people, because I am a team player and I have learned, is to make sure that everyone does their part, in order to accomplish the mission.
Pros
free meals and overtime
Cons
little breaks and no music to listen too
Very relaxed environment
Night Watchman (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 11, 2017
Working at PCS is one of the best things you can do to accommodate a busy week schedule (other job, school, etc.). I worked weekends only, and had the entire rest of the week open to do whatever else I wanted/ needed to do.
great teachers
3rd to 5th Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springville, UTJune 8, 2017
The teachers are amazing and doing an amazing job in filling a required need with the lack of resources given to work with. The life staff are truly remarkable and go above and beyond what they are asked to do.
Wonderful place to help troubled youth.
Student Life Mentor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UT and Springville, UTMarch 2, 2017
I work as a PRN Student Life Mentor, which means I just work as needed. The job is exactly what you'd expect - troubled youth with severe mental health challenges who have been taken to this facility to overcome issues that danger their health and safety as well as other's. The management is not very dependable. I was beat up by one of the youth without any help from other staff, the situation was brushed under the rug which really bothered and worried me about continuing to work there. It would be a great place to work if the management was better! It's hard enough to work with severely mentally ill youth let alone having to deal with management that keeps a blind eye to their employees (which normally doesn't bother me except in the case where my physical safety was severely involved).
Pros
As a PRN I basically make my own schedule week to week.
Cons
Not a safe environment.
working with individuals with mental disabilities
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springville, UTJune 21, 2016
Worked with children whom had mental disabilities such as Bi-polar, ADHD, and suicidal. Learned how to de-esculate and work with everyone.
Pros
learned patience
Cons
too far away
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 24, 2016
Helping at risk youth is one of the most rewarding jobs you can have as an adult. It takes patience but is worth it when you see the kids able to leave juvenile detention.
Student Life Staff is great
Student Life Staff (Current Employee) –  Utah County, UTJanuary 19, 2016
Most student life staff are great. They provide meals, the boys campus in Provo has great food, but the Springville girls campus.. Well my dog eats better. They have a 5 student to 1 staff.. But in reality its 2 staff per 16 students in the days and afternoon shifts. Night watch is 1 staff and 15+ students.
Some staff bad mouth the students which is not OK, but it doesn't matter.
The pay, well its awful and you only get one raise per year but have to be here one year to get it so if you start in July of 2015 you won't get a raise until January 2017. If starting pay goes up, yours doesn't. Meaning if you start at $10 and a few months later it starts at $11, you still make $10.
Management is awful and dictates everything even though they aren't working with the students. They do not communicate and people feel like their job is in jeopardy as they want less staff than they already have.
They are all about profit and not the kids that come here. The kids are dollar bills in their eyes and nothing more. Staff is over worked and severely under paid. You do not get weekends off unless you get it approved. If you plan a big trip months in advance and have your airline tickets or what not you are not guaranteed the time off. If they deny some or all of your request and you cannot find coverage, you either don't go and eat the money spent or lose your job.
More than half the night shift sleep and don't do their checks like they are supposed too. If you say something, it will either be ignored or backfire.
I love working with the students, but the management is horrible and
  more... staff is all replaceable.  less
Pros
Great benefits, free meals
Cons
Management, pay, favortism
A place where you learn about patience but receive a lot of it as well
Team Coach (Former Employee) –  Springville, UTDecember 14, 2015
Has stressful moments constantly which can in turn help ones problems outside of work seem minimal or easier to handle.
Pros
Free Breakfast and Lunch
Cons
Working with troubled youth can be taxing create a lot of unecessary stress.
Good Place
Coach (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 5, 2015
Good place, good people. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Constant Mnagement change
Obvious for profit facility
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Springville, UTJanuary 3, 2015
This is not a pleasant environment,
short staffed. High turnover for good reason.
A life learning lesson.
Clinical Services Coach (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTDecember 17, 2014
I provided structure and coping skills to troubled teens in a lock down facility. I also kept detailed logs of about 10-12 girls for the next staff who came on shift, supervisors, therapists, teachers, doctors and parents. This communication was key in each individuals progress for transitioning. I was certified in CPR and first aide at the time and often took on extra shifts when staff was short handed. I learned that my life wasn't so bad after all. It was a job that was hard not to take personally, I just don't think I have it in me. I have kids of my own and it was hard not to relate or get attached to what some of these girls were going through emotionally. I liked the job, but lacked the emotional detachment that it took. I also spent a lot time a way from my own children and needed a change in schedule, so I took a different job.
Pros
relationships, gratification, structure, meals provided
Cons
emotionally draining, lock down facility, scheduling
Fullfilling work with plenty of co-workers to interact with
Team Coach (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 7, 2014
Working for Provo Canyon was great because of it's health insurence. Working with at risk teens was a challenge but very fulfilling. I got along great with management and co-workers. The thing I enjoyed most about the job was that there was plenty of overtime!
Pros
Benefits, overtime, free lunch, great work environment
Laid back, fun coworkers and supervisors
Clinical Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 16, 2014
It was a good starting out job for me. Hardest part of the job was having power struggles with the patients.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Power Struggles
"Old-school" behavioral treatment facility.
Registered Nurse- PRN (Current Employee) –  Springville, UTFebruary 16, 2014
Days focus on medication administration and noting orders for 50-60 adolescents. Work environment varies and is dependent on the work ethic of the nurses that work before you. Monotonous and primarily paper work with a wide variety of nursing skills are not being utilized in this type of a job.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, less stress.
Cons
Monotonous
Unproductive place of work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Springville, UTFebruary 5, 2014
Awful place to work. Good benefits but no security or room for advancement. Management isn't interested in workers who think for themselves only someone who will be a drone and do exactly what they say.
Pros
Good Benefits.
Cons
Awful management.