Prudential Employee Reviews in United States

Great People with wide variety of job opportunities
Defined Contribution / Benefit Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 16, 2016
Typical day at work: Log into all work related systems, including time tracking. Review lotus notes as well as outstanding work and prioritize daily workload. Complete departmental work within timing standards. Answer both internal and external client calls.

Learned: Prudential provides any type of training you desire. Can take internal online courses at any time to improve personally and professionally.

Management / hardest part of job: Management is driven by the work that needs to be completed within each departments own timing standards. At times, this would prove challenging to the team (more work, less people, more automation, etc.)

Co-Workers/Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: The people are what make Prudential great. Always got along with my co-workers and this made it more desirable to come to work each day.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Workload vs. Capacity
Slowly going downhill..
Regional Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Shelton, CTDecember 6, 2015
Have worked here for 6.5 years in two different departments. I used to love coming to work but unfortunately I have seen a change for the worse over the past few years.

Management lacks professional training and prefers to focus on their own advancement versus helping their team. VERY political - talent will get you nowhere in this organization. If you know the right people and enjoy groupthink, you can very well succeed. However, if you are an independent thinker working here is career suicide.

Work life balance depends on your department- some offer great flexibility while others require a month or more pre approval to work at home. Doesn't work well when emergencies come up...

Benefits are good. Compensation is average at best.

Overall, I enjoyed my first few years here but it's time to move on. I would rather work for an organization that treats all employees fairly and honors talent over friendships. Many qualified individuals have left over the past year and I'm sure many more will be making the same move.
Benefits
Cons
Friendships supersede talent for promotions, Management is young and immature
A great place to start a career
Annuities Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PADecember 13, 2015
Overall, Prudential seems like an exceptional place to start a career and offers a great deal of job security. The customer service duties can be quite monotonous but there are always opportunities to move up in the organization.
Pros
Great benefits, vacation availability
Cons
Very corporate, typical office culture
Long hours , hard work
Print Operator (Former Employee) –  Millville, NJDecember 2, 2015
My time here was challenging. The hours were long. I worked steady midnight -8 and sometimes was asked to stay until 10 or later if people called off or weather was bad. At least the pay was worth the hours and the work. Unfortunately, the company sold so job security was turned upside down. Most of us were laid off after being promised that would not happen.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
company no longer exists
Good
Salesforce Developer (Current Employee) –  Roseland, NJMarch 17, 2016
Good work culture
Good Compensation
Good Co Workers
Good Management but project planning is not efficient
Good scope for learning in the project
Great work life balance
Senior Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 17, 2016
I worked for Prudential nearly 7 years and it is a great company with good benefits and work/life balance. The people are team oriented as well.
Good workplace with supportive corporate culture and work-life balance.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 8, 2015
Prudential is a great company to work at. The culture and work-life balance vary widely depending on the team and area of work. It's nice to work in a positive, supportive environment, but feels isolated from the rest of the industry with the headquarters in Newark, NJ. The pace can be slow relative to an investment job in Manhattan, and there is red tape and politics to get through just like at any big company.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Compensation, promotions are slow
Love Working Here
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 10, 2016
Supportive team members and great benefits. Lot's of changes that happen regularly so job security is always in question.
Enjoyed going to work everyday
Mid-Market Group Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Dresher, PAAugust 7, 2015
management and coworkers made learning the risk assumption of underwriting fun and enjoyable. typical day included the assumption of risk and the writing up of the proposals for groups with 25-999 lives. They provided workshops an classes t further your education of insurance underwriting. they also provided a work from home ability which comes in handy when you have to be home for other things like kids that are sick or some sort of appointment around the house.
Pros
Compensation and benefits were amazing
Great Place to Work - Low Retention Rate
Financial Professional Associate Intern (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 3, 2016
Wonderful employees, managers, and director. As an intern I had a great experience learning different aspects of the insurance industry. The downside was how repetitive it became. I did learn a lot, but after being there for more than 5 months I didn't have anything new to do.
Pros
Work life balance, great pay, great managers and employees
Cons
Low retention by employees, commission only, little room for advancement.
Great company
Insurance agent (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PaDecember 4, 2015
sold All types of insurance and investments. Was able to network with numerous customers and develop working relationships.
Pros
made my own schedule and compensation
Cons
Depending on underwriters
Auditing of residential appraisals of relocating employees for their employers
Appraisal specialist/reviewer (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 30, 2015
As a former Realtor and having completed WA states appraisal course I was extremely qualified for the position of auditing the two or three home appraisals that were performed for relocating employees such as Coca Cola. The corporations had specific guidelines to be followed in order to buy the employees homes so they could be transferred to another location.

My job was to review/audit the appraisals for accuracy and compliance to the employers guidelines. It was a very detailed procedure. Each employers had their own guidelines. Their were also time lines that had to be met. If there were discrepancies between the appraisals it was necessary to resolve them with the appraiser.

The hardest part of the job was that Prudential's policy for upward mobility - that managers had to work in all departments to obtain a promotion. It was necessary for the auditor/reviewers to train their managers as well as do our own work. A manager often did not have the technical background to be able to evaluate our work or deal with upper management on time issues.

Co-workers would cross train and cover for each other for vacations or illness. Even though we had different companies we able to do this efficiently.

My most rewarding part of my job was being able to do quality reviews and auditing for my clients. One of my clients had worked with another less detail oriented co-worker and they were not happy with their reviews. As a result they required a Vice President to sign off on all reports. I was assigned that client and with in 3 months the Vice Presidents signature was no longer
  more... required.  less
Pros
Enjoyable working atmosphere.
Cons
Real estate market became depressed, employee reductions
Good company, but poor low to mid level leadership.
Financial Professional (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIJune 17, 2015
Management tends to stretch the truth and often omit important information when interviewing for open positions. Hardest part of job is maintaining steady flow of prospects across all lines of business. Company expects you to exhaust all friends and family from prospect list before extending additional leads. Those additional leads are 99% recycled current clients with whom you are supposed to only call for servicing of their existing accounts. If it happens that additional opportunity arises during service work you can then attempt to solicit it, but you cannot call on the client for new business until a new relationship has been established. Company does not allow any use of social media to communicate with prospects/clients. Makes it difficult to keep up with companies who are using it.
Pros
Fairly priced products with above average benefits to clients.
Cons
100% commission based. Limited opportunity for advancement.
A great company with great benefits
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Dresher, PASeptember 16, 2015
A growing company that has a nice culture of diversity.

Great compensation, work/life balance, paid time off and generous benefits.
Pros
Multiple events in different departments available for the employees to experience.
Cons
My job was outsourced.
Great place to work offering growth and development
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Dresher, PASeptember 9, 2015
Company was a friendly environment to work in. Employees are all upbeat and pleasant as well as management. It was very flexible, another family oriented company.
Pros
great incentatives, raises, bonuses
Cons
travel time
Low Compensation. High Turnover.
Financial Adviser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2016
Prudential resembles many financial services companies in that compensation for representatives is based solely on commission. Reps often feel pressure to compromise ethics to feed themselves. Morale is very low. Training is superficial. Turnover is high. Prudential does not mind seeing reps come and go. That seems to be part of their model. Nepotism was high. The managing director of the agency promoted her kin over higher producing reps. The NYC-area agency where I worked lost two of their highest performing, seasoned reps while I was there. They left because they felt undervalued and because compensation is higher elsewhere. They did not leave because of inability to compete. They were successful. Working for Prudential in other capacities might be significantly different but working there as a financial adviser was a thoroughly negative experience. Some of these features are industry-wide but they are especially pronounced at Prudential. There are some nice and very knowledgeable people there of course. The wholesalers are very competent. I would not recommend working at Prudential. If you are resolved to work as a producer in financial services and/or insurance you can do much better.

Prudential could improve by giving reps a base salary. This would remove the conflicts of interest that incentivize unethical behavior (e.g. selling less-than-suitable products to clients to increase commissions). This would also significantly improve morale, which is low even among veteran reps.

They could invest more time in meaningful professional development (not just online tutorials).
  more...

They could open centrally-located offices with windows (my office didn't have any and it was in a remote part of the city).

They could foster partnerships between reps and area business instead of leaving this entirely to producers.

No one is asking Prudential to coddle their employees. Empowering them to succeed and creating a supportive collegial atmosphere is not asking too much and it seems to work very well for Silicon Valley.

The trouble is that Prudential doesn't see it as in their interest to improve retention and develop a loyal cadre of advisers. This is inept and makes the experience of working their unsatisfactory. Hence my low marks.
Pros
I honestly don't see any pros over what other companies offer
Cons
Low compensation. Low retention. Low morale. Inept model.
Good Company to work for
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 18, 2015
During my tenure there I met several wonderful people, and wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy the benefits the company offered
There are more attractive financial institutions to consider😀
marketing (Former Employee) –  NJSeptember 15, 2015
Please consider other options for financial services employment. Prudential is overly sterile and I am thankful to have landed a leadership role elsewhere! Good Luck!
Pros
HSA, PTO
Cons
Poor development and conservative compensation
Life balance great, but get ready to sell
Financial Professional (Current Employee) –  NJNovember 28, 2015
The culture is great when you first start. Management does not like to hear the sale went south, or was rescheduled. Work/balance was great, but only worth it fi you can afford not to make a good sale to give you some breathing room.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
commission rates not worth the work
The pay is not bad
Group Life Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Roseland, NJJuly 17, 2015
Group life was a very stressful place to work. The job criteria such as quality, production was always changing. The amount of work required slowly kept increasing. The benefits were good and hours flexible. Raises were had to come by since it was based on performance. Getting a good review was difficult.
Pros
good benefits and you learn alot
Cons
alot of work especially in group life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Prudential. Our community is ready to answer.