PSAV Employee Reviews

Total consumption of life ...& underpaid as can be. Shady.
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  PSAV SF Bay areaMarch 25, 2014
This company will use you like a dirty rusted tool.

I worked for PSAV as a technician and moved up quickly to a higher position. Sometimes, I actually wonder if these art schools like Full Sail, Ex'pression, Pyramind, etc. are all owned by the PSAV company. It seems to be the only place to get hired after graduating from these schools; which is unfortunate because I had a blast in college and paid about $100,000 to go to one of these. What a waste. But that's another story...

Anyways, back to PSAV...
You will work horrible up hours that "constantly" change from
day-to-day, and you'll get the next schedule from week-to-week, need I say more!? So, don't plan on ever having a life, family time, or friend visits again. You will never be able to
PLAN FOR ANYTHING, ever... while you're with this company!

Around the winter (down-time/months Dec & Jan) you will get very little hours because the hotels are so slow so you won't be able to pay your rent, buy presents, and/or eat.
Otherwise, when it's busy as can be (most all other months), you will be working your tail off working for (THE MAN) the snobby, high-maintenance clients that think and treat you like you're a
red headed step-child on the hotel floor.

You'll also be sent to many other hotels to work, if you're hotel is slow a couple days out of the week so that you're lost as can be while walking around that new hotel and learning your way around with a new crew, as if you are a blind man walking around trying to fit in with these guys. After, pray and hope that your paperwork of your hours worked there were sent correctly,
  more... given to your boss, and documented to your hotel computer because they have their heads up their you know what's, and don't have correct clock in/out capabilities between these hotels.

Did I mention that you have to wear a full suit to do this job?!
Yes, you will. You will be setting up lighting, full-sound systems, full video screen set-ups, taping down cables on your knees much during each day, climbing ladders, etc. Yes, ALL in a suit. Be ready to buy 'at least' a few suits and ALL of the MANY accessories (socks, ties, many long sleeve shirts, many short sleeve undershirts, nice shoes, etc) that come along with wearing a suit, to wear every day there, with your musty smelling, sweaty self. FYI: You'll never have time to get any of that stuff washed while working here, so you must buy multiples of everything!

I also noticed that myself and everyone there was very
MUCH UNDERPAID. PSAV technicians are working their tails off on the floor to get all of this gear set-up right and for big money! But, PSAV is paying peanuts for us to do this work. This company and hotel/s are making a huge amount of cash on this equipment that has been paid 1,000 times fold, back in 1990's ...and keeps on making huge money, and they charge extra high prices for this old beat-up gear to the client, plus >>> high labor, plus huge sales tax, plus plus, etc... so the client dislikes us from the get go when they arrive to do the event, and the event better go perfectly and seamlessly! The client paid SO much money to the company, so they expect the floor technicians to make EVERYTHING perfect or will ask for their money back (because they were charged so much) ...and then it's on you! No pressure.

The only good I have to say about working for PSAV is that there IS room to move up fast within (for the next PSAV lifer to be used to work harder and for less money). I will admit this though... I did work WITH (not for) some very cool guys (and by that, I mean the other hard working floor guys; as I was). We were only making PSAV corporate richer. Notice all of the young directors... that should tell you something. Poor guys.

If I've helped one person out by not applying and getting used by this company, I've done my job. Don't be a statistic. I have many good friends still working there now that aren't able to enjoy their lives because they are stuck there in the hotel, working every day of the week, working all day long, with much unpaid overtime every day there, and only making salary wages (not hourly). Many of these guys are alcoholics and have a hard time having time for a family and/or a girlfriend/boyfriend, and you wonder why?! Basically because they are working too many unpaid overtime hours. Not cool... and I have no idea how that's legal. But, they get away with it.

Take care my friends...
Pros
move up possiblilities (to use you even more), good/cool floor technicians
Cons
everything else.
This company looks nice but is slavery.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  MiamiSeptember 9, 2013
I was hired as a sales manager at a hotel. My manager put me to work as a technician while he was getting all the sales and getting the commissions for himself. I told human resources but they told me "do what your supervisor tells you to do".

My supervisor put me to work even weekends and late hours, because I was "salary" I was not getting paid extra hours. His idea was to save money to the company by not hiring per hour technicians. So he could get a bonus.

At the end of the 3 months trial he offered me the technicians position and I declined and left. He face was white because all the technicians where at other locations already. So now he had to work alone. He got fired a month later.

I remember that my girlfriend was coming to visit me from Venezuela and she was arriving on a Saturday Morning, I told my supervisor I needed to pick her up and he told me: you have to work! Hey, I am sales, I am supposed to work from Monday to Friday, not to stay an entire Saturday at the office. I had to stay that Saturday because some clients had a conference with flip charts and I had to stay to be sure they markers wouldn't run out of ink... from 8 am until 6pm. Doing nothing!

But what I saw in general was depressive. People working in the company for 10 years and earning just $13 an hour. Other technicians bragging because all they knew was to set up a power point presentation to the LCD screen...

I realized many workers were people with low education or from low income families, literally ghetto people. Many of them very nice people but in PSAV you are cattle. Human Resources will
  more... deal with you over the phone only. If you have any complain you will get fired and replaced it, you are no body.

My supervisor was working there for 5 years, on a Friday night he got a phone call not to return again. On Monday another supervisor arrived. No one at the office had the time to say good bye to him.

It is a good company to learn the "corporate way". But you will not achieve anything there except going back home, super tire, smelling like eggs from the smells of the hallways of the hotel.

The good thing is that God paid me back well, I went from the lame experience in PSAV to work in another company for $50 an hour doing what I liked.

I am not going back to PSAV unless they pay me $90K a year and only office hours.
Pros
good structure.
Cons
human resources will not help you
A company that is going through a lot of changes! Not Bad just major challenges.
Director, Event Technology V (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2014
While I worked there, a week after I was hired, there was a merger with another company, when I resigned a year to the same month later the merger was in flux and I found out a month later they went through another merger. Also there were too many upper management roles and not enough focus on each individual properties team members and needed additional staffing. My team members were amazingly good at their jobs. Each technician I was responsible for, I made sure to help them get where they wanted to be, including: transfers, promotions, wage increases, I took care of the team. I helped my assistant director get promoted to another location, and one of the technicians to get promoted to a lead rigging position, which more than doubled his salary. The challenges were tough but my team was strong, we all went through hard times being the largest property in the region. As a tier 5 property we not only had our property to look after, we looked after all the other properties. My team increased the customer survey scores from a low 53% when hired, to over 90% within 6 months. Attained customer service rankings of 100% for 4 months and averaged a 93.2% for the other 8 months. We also took a 1.2M property to a 1.5M dollar property in 6 month period, with revenues projected to 2M within 1.5 - 2 years forecasted. Based on KPI. The Area Manager, Regional VP and the HR Manager all supported my team and I well while there. I learned a lot about doing as much, with very stretched resources and very tired and overworked technicians, and making it the best out of a challenging situation with  more... the great help of an awesome team.  less
Pros
great team! awesome property! great measured growth!
Cons
older technology, needed twice the staff for the size of the property, too much upper management, two mergers, over worked team members.
Always something differnt
Regional Vice President, Operations (Current Employee) –  New York City, CT, Suburban NYNovember 11, 2014
 Established a positive working relationship with Union Business Agents and Union Delegates
 Initiated and executed NY city & suburban meetings for staff to build relationships and create unity
Financial Management:
 Develop annual budgets for each location
 Provide leadership and guidance in revenue growth and cost management
 Conduct financial reviews and work with local management to ensure proper business planning procedures are implemented
 Develop region-wide programs to improve efficiency and effectiveness through shared labor, equipment and industry knowledge
 Creation and implementation of strategies to maximize asset utilization
Organizational Leadership
 Ensure execution of all organizational initiatives
 Conduct quarterly site visits to ensure location adherence to SOP
 Demonstrate superior customer service and response
Account Management
 Establish and maintain strong relationships with hotel executives & management
 Strong knowledge base of competition and competitive practices
 Analysis of new hotel pricing and creation of pricing recommendations to hotel executives
 Management of new hotel openings
People Development
 Manage significant levels of Human Resource related issues including: selection/hiring, performance management, salary administration, progressive discipline and strategic planning
 Coach location management on the creation/maintenance of a positive employee relations
environment
 Mentor and develop management and employees at each location
Pros
work from home 1 or 2 days a week
Cons
16 hours a day 7 days a week
Setup and Breakdown
Event Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 24, 2015
• Responsible for accurate and timely setup, operation, and breakdown of intermediate audiovisual equipment as listed in the technical qualifications section.
• Provides excellent service and strives to exceed the expectations and needs of internal and external customers. Maintains a positive relationship with all clients through effective communication. Meets with guests on site to ensure that their needs are met and the equipment setup is working properly. Monitors events and checks in on customers throughout the events' duration. Understands and fosters the hotel/client relationship.
• Assists in training technicians on all floor activities and on hotel and PSAV service expectations. Serves as a mentor for new hires. Models and reinforces a positive working environment centered around company values.
• Organizes the daily floor activities to ensure the timely set up, refresh and removal of equipment. Performs daily floor management including directing the workflow of technicians and assisting management with labor needs and scheduling. Ensures the equipment sheets are updated and properly completed. Works with team to establish coordinated communications for the management of events. Attends BEO meetings as needed.
• Performs preventative maintenance on equipment to keep it presentable and in good working condition. Leads the team in proper security, storage, transportation, and maintenance of equipment. Inventory count processes as requested. Participates in physical inventory count processes as requested.
Pros
NA
Cons
Slow time no pay
PSAV is 100% corporate with very mixed messages. Slavery to the system is the only way to survive.
D.E.T - Director of Event Technology (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 17, 2014
Early mornings greeting clients and double checking room sets. Some late nights and frequent weekends and holidays. Work seamlessly with hotel departments to plan and sell event experience including design room sets and necessary audio visual equipment. Attend daily and weekly hotel meetings. Check frequently back on clients. Write team schedule and coordinate sharing equipment and labor with region. Manage inventory. Client satisfaction is expected and best part of day when accomplished.

After the merger with Swank and PSAV it became clear that it was truly a corporate take over of 2 rival companies. Swank culture was buried and there is zero respect for tenure and your opinion. All systems and management are corporate standard and those that speak up with any opposing views are sought out and removed with zero severance or notice. Changes happen fast and unexplained leaving behind untrained teams left hung out to suffer. No sympathy for personal life and consequences can be retroactively enforced. Corporate is so big and diverse that there is no human to human support. Simply comanding and un respectful when it comes to corporate support.

I loved Swank for 12 years and now despise PSAV after trying to survive a year of the merger. BEWARE!
Pros
free lunches, great city, previously swank until merger
Cons
management is cut throat, hr only backs upper management, back stabbing, non supportive, all corporate, no salary increases
Micro managed company with a total corporate mindset
National Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 20, 2014
My old company was "merged" with PSAV. Many of my coworkers had the good sense to leave for other employment within the first few months. I decided to stick it out and see how things would go. It was a very bad plan. The local branch is run by a DICtator who surrounds himself with friends who have been let go from other companies. This makes for a management team of fools and morons who spend the majority of thier time micro managing the staff or just palling around with each other. It truelly doesn't take long in any sort of a technical conversation with one of them to realize that they didn't get to thier position with knowledge or hard work. I would say that the hardest part of the job was watching the basic day to day incompitance and overall lack of care for performance. I suppose it can only be expected when you pay as poorly as they do and offer such misserable benifits. Thank god they had to continue paying me my previous wage. Unfortunatly we were all placed on thier insurance program. I warn you to stay away from this company and hope that this is not the new standard for the audio visual industry. I will say that the only thing good about this company is the National division. It is a challenge to join this team but only because it takes a true profesional with knowledge and skills in our industry to join. If you are looking for an easy, underpaid gig with bad benifits go down to your local PSAV branch and grab an ap.
Shady Environment
ETS-II (Former Employee) –  CAAugust 4, 2015
Im sure every location is different but where i was, it was bad. So bad were the policies that a lawsuit was filed... Often we were interupted from lunch. People were sometimes asked to work off the clock. I've seen people fired for medical conditions. I regularly had less than 8hrs between shifts. It was typical to work until midnight then have to be somewhere else at 5 or 6 am. Promotions were pennies while the company hit record profits. We often included unjustified hidden fees that didnt make any sense to clients who were told, "thats just theway it is". Hours were routinely cut short so to help employees survive, managers would pay out out unscheduled vacation days and 'burn' sick days so employees could pay their regular bills. Ive seen employees go on assistance to meet their regular bills while hours were low. I was eventually fired for something i didnt even do because management only cares about their clients and wont stick up for their employees. Im sure all locations are different but this was an abusive job. I reccomend that any skilled tech work freelance or union instead of supporting this company with your talent. That said, there are many great employees who made working there less miserable and even fun at times.
Pros
Free lunches at some locations, varied hours
Cons
Hours, Pay, Management, Hospitality=slave
Ok for a first job
Event Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2015
PSAV is okay when it comes to being a job straight out of college. If you're not new to A/V you'll learn all about it but it is not going to test those of you who are more experienced and looking for a challenge. The work is very physical, there will be lots of heavy lifting, sometimes in a suit. You'll also get good benefits for a first time gig however the pay is painfully low. Every tech gets $13/hour starting out and you aren't eligible for raises or promotions until you have a year under your belt. You'll also find for most properties that you'll only know your schedule about a week in advance making it difficult to schedule social gatherings. I've also found most hotel staff do not appreciate A/V people but you can usually work around it or grit your teeth for the sake of getting your job done. Finally there's a lot of slow points where there will be no work for you to do and you'll find yourself with more days off than days you're working and unless you're a director or one of the other salaried positions, that means you don't get paid.

PSAV is better than working retail, but not by much. If you have a chance at a more professional gig definitely take it.
Pros
free lunches, health and life insurance, careerwear, fast-paced environment when busy
Cons
lots of slow periods, pay isn't really all that great.
Great if Audio Visual is your passion and you are willing to dedicate great amount of time.
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 15, 2015
Full time employment at PSAV can be a little hit or miss. Due to the irregularity of business throughout the year, some seasons you might be working 50-60 hours average a week and then others 10-15 hours average a week. If AV is your real passion, this can be great during the busy times and you'll figure out how to get through the few slow periods.

The event sizes range dramatically from small meeting rooms to big award shows. Setting up and looking after a group of meeting rooms is a good way to get through the week between big shows and the big shows can be very challenging and fun.

The management almost all used to be technicians at one point and will join in from time to time. For the most part, they know where you're coming from and seem compassionate. Obviously this isn't the case all the time, but for the most part the directors and regional managers are really relatable.
Pros
Great training for new AV Techs. Good team environment.
Cons
Bad work/life balance.
You're Disposable!
ETS3 (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisMay 7, 2014
I have worked in 2 different cities with this company. DC and Minneapolis. DC was great, fair pay, good managers. Minneapolis on the other hand is a black hole. Management through the city is unstable. Nobody wants to pay employees any kind of reasonable wage. Advancement is random and unpredictable. Meaning: They will tell experienced employees that they do not have enough experience to get a promotion, then hire someone cheaper with less experience. Higher management BRAGS about being able to replace employees.

The best scenario for working for PSAV: You need to be young, fresh out of school, living with your parents and have no obligations (wife/kids). If you dont have to pay much for rent, or take care of anyone... Then this is a great place to learn how to do the job. Then when you're ready for a real job, quit and take all the training with you to get paid a real wage.
Pros
usually free food, many technitians are awesome guys, training... kinda
Cons
pay!!, "area management", equipment is outdated by about 8-10 years, mandatory crazy hours, labor laws do not apply
Part-time Tech... Good company, great employees/management
A/V Technician (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 24, 2015
I worked for PSAV for one year in Providence, Rhode Island in the hospitality sector. My managers were awesome, understanding, knowledgable and hardworking gentlemen. My co-workers we're equally knowledgeable, hardworking, fun. We took care of each other as much as possible. Definitely a great team vibe. I can't say much for the "higher-ups" as i never interacted with them.

However, everyone gets a 401K (if you opt in). The hourly rate was sub-par but Rhode Island is hurting anyway. I would work for them again if the compensation was adequate and I would expect more in another city.

I feel like promotion is immanent and very possible within a few years, but its all really what you want an your motivation.

You will work whacky hours. Nights, mornings, weekends or all day. At my properties we really took ownership in the projects/productions and we stayed till the job was done.

Hope this helps.
Pros
Free hotel food. Strong team members. Good equipment. Great Managers.
Cons
Crazy hours, sub-par compensation.
Not the best place to work...
Tech (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 7, 2013
PSAV is great to work for if you're a contract employee.

Full-timers, on the other hand, are treated like red-headed stepchildren. They are severely underpaid, compared to the freelancer working next to them doing the exact same job. When this is brought up, benefits expenses is always the answer. This "investment" by the company is so minor, I have seen a freelancer make the amount of a full year of these costs in a few DAYS. Work/life balance is also abhorrent, usually regardless of what area of the company you work in. You may work 80+ hours in a week or 8. Depends on the time of the year. Also, unless you are actually on scheduled vacation or PTO, you are "on call" in a sense, but they never tell you that. There is no SOP for ANYTHING. Equipment is not QC'd as it should be...

I could go on, but I shall digress...

In summary, this is a VERY top-heavy company that is run by persons of questionable intelligence. I believe this is not sustainable.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
terrible management, horrible work/life balance, inferior pay
NO LEADERSHIP
Assistant Director of Event Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2015
A typical day at working for this company is always complete chaos.

Not a great company to work for. There is no leadership and the operations runs with very litte communication between management. Everything always seems to be a surprise when something happens.
Operations Manager always seems to be clueless.

There are some co-workers who are great to work with but there is always a couple that will stab you in the back when they can.

The harderst part of the job is the Management Team. They always preach teamwork but it is only a cople of people holding the place together. For a Management Team to consist of 8 people, they constantly have a rotating shift of the 4 same managers rotating weekends. Sound like a team to you???

The easiset part of the job is that I am familiar with a lot of the people that work here so when I started, it was a smooth transition and was a very enjoyable workplace for me.
Pros
staff of techs, hotel employees
Cons
management team
forget about an outside life
audio visual tech (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 30, 2015
Very labor intensive job. The market is flooded with full sail grads that need to pay off student loans. Coworkers are a mix of newbies and veterans with 20 years of experience but everyone gets paid around the same wage. Schedule is crazy. 60 hours one week then 10 the next week depending on the season. Moving up is very hard since there are so many techs but not many management positions. Company likes to hire from outside for mid & upper level positions instead of promoting from within. Good benefits if you can get full time. Work with a lot of great people with the occasional professional with a bloated ego because the USED TO work on big shows a long time ago or they think they're the greatest tech ever. Old equipment and a lot of customer service in hotel environment. Appearance guidelines are very strict, based on Disney standards
Pros
Benefits, cool coworkers
Cons
Pay, long hours, can't advance, strict appearance guidelines
Good Company to work for
General Manager at Palm Springs Convention Center (Current Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAApril 2, 2015
Internal and external customer interface. Required decisions, actions and perceptions are all in a days work.
Every situation is different and thus must be handled as individual challenges with the big picture always on your mind. remember, every decision made somehow affects your bottom line. My team is exceptional and can be counted on to know what to do and when to to it, or else they will come for guidance. Hardest part of the job is insuring that at the end of the day, you accomplished something positive and made that impact someones future.Most enjoyable part is being the leader of a fantastic team with great attitudes that truly believe they are making a difference with customers and feel secure enough with the company to insure their personal growth.
Diversity in Job duties
Video Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 2, 2014
The resort I worked at was awesome and so were the staff there.
However, there was NO consistency with a schedule and many times hours and days changed at a moments notice. Many long hours too. Impossible to plan anything around work, even doctor appointments. That was a big con. The pros were interacting with clients and creating a professional Audio/Visual set-up that satisfied the client's needs. Learning more about lighting and audio, and computers was interesting and fun. I enjoyed most of my co-workers and my original boss was great. New boss was too, but not as flexible. A lot of hard physical work, but overall, I enjoyed that part. The cons of that though were the possibility of getting hurt.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
inability to plan anything-never knowing schedule from week to week.
Fast Pace and Modern Technology
Freelance Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 29, 2013
Working for PSAV is one of the most exciting and technical companies that I have ever worked for. From beginning to end, as soon as you walk into your office, you receive a lay out on how particular rooms are going to be set and orchastrated into becoming this master piece. Its really just all an envision that the customer comes to our company and has, and then its on our behalf that we maintain and uphold that - come to life atmosphere, for where the client and their groups have a exciting and memorable time. Theres so much that you as well learn on a day to day bases , that your always inclining your brain to go further.
Pros
always wonderful food throughout the resorts."free"
Cons
health care and not always the first on call - "freelancer"
Exciting place to work. Everday there's new client with a new event to produce
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 23, 2015
I put myself through college with this job. A great place to work and develop yourself in both management skills and event technology, but the room for growth in management is limited.

In my current position I've learned how to meet client expectation and deal with difficulty the most.

The hardest part of the job is making sure you've communicated effectively to all parties. Being the Sales Manager, the client will come to you with questions and requests and the operations team will come to with questions and requests. Its managing both sides to the success of the event that is the hardest. The most enjoyable parts are the results and satisfaction that comes from a job well done.
Look elsewhere
Management (Former Employee) –  BostonDecember 12, 2012
This company has absolutely no compassion for it's employees and no concern that this job destroys your personal life. The lack of having any kind of predictable work schedule is terrible. The work is physically as well as mentally demanding and exhausting because they refuse to staff adequately. Upper management has no interest in your life or your ideas, only how much money you can make for them. The money they offer may look attractive, but you'll more than earn it. The high end image they promote is bogus. Most people I know who work for this company hate it. Poor employee retention speaks for itself. Go on their website and look how many positions they are trying to fill across the country. Stay far away from this company.
Cons
many