PSAV Employee Reviews in United States

Will make you despise an industry you once loved
AVT (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 23, 2016
Horrible nepotism and incompetence. I've not met a single employee in 8 years who likes or respects PSAV's way of doing business. The customers despise them as well for price gouging of obsolete and broken equipment. Seems like they are trying to destroy an entire industry with a quick and vicious money-grab.
Pros
Cons
Every single thing except the other abused employees
Look elsewhere.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 20, 2016
Terrible. Do not work here if you can avoid it. Seriously, not worth it. Management blows and the work life balance is awful.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
5 Years Wasted
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJuly 11, 2016
Worked for them for 5 years. Management is clueless how AV even works - all of them have been out of the industry for 10+ years. The disconnect between what goes into the work and what they think goes into it is huge! The company got too huge in the past few years, and management has no idea how to work all the moving parts fit together now, and it shows. The business could benefit from buying newer equipment and paying to employees better, rather than buying their competition and wrecking their business models too!
Pros
Good networking job, looks good on an application.
Cons
Glass ceilings for everyone! Not built for longevity.
Great Place to start
Event Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2016
You can build a career here if you play your cards right and network. Here in Houston you will be mainly working at hotel properties doing simple set-ups.
Pro
A/V Tech Freelance (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 6, 2016
A typical work day can start early, or it can start late. Either way most all shifts and gigs were a time to learn and always with good co workers who enjoy the skill we have just as much as each other.
Pros
Some locations give free food to the techs.
Great Place to Work
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 29, 2016
Many years, they are as loyal as I am
I have learned many things over the years however, the best thing I have learned was how to work with so many different personalities.
Great place
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 26, 2016
Great leaders, everyone is eager to teach and help each other out. I relocated and they were not in my area or I would still be with them. Great benefits and pay
Pros
Free lunch, great people
You Learn
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 6, 2016
Very ok. If placed in a big and busy hotel, it's a great place to learn lots about AV. 90% of the people are kind and helpful. Depending on the location, management can be nice and can push you up the ladder. Pay could be better.
Great place to work, especially for entry-level corporate event professionals
Technician (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MD 20706May 26, 2016
Hardest part of the job; navigating strong personalities, staying motivated
The most enjoyable part of the job is quickly solving problems, interacting with clients, and free entertainment during lunch including air hockey and TV
Technical skills acquired include: room designs and technical terms
Management is variable, depending on the week and property
Generally, my co-workers are personable, friendly, talented, and well-informed
Typical day at work includes reviewing room sets, setting up rooms, checking on clients about 5 times during the day, lunch, striking rooms, and reconfirming the weeks' events
Pros
Free lunches, option to leave campus during breaks, relative scheduling flexibility as part-timer
Cons
For part-timers, no benefits, expensive wardrobe upkeep, parking, limited outside social life
SO much fun
Currently I free lance (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 25, 2016
Love working here it is a good time, everyone always has a great attitude. and free lance work suites me. food is sometimes free.
A good place for someone young and new to the field of AV to get started and gain experience
A1 | FOH | Event Technology Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2016
A typical workday for an A1 involves paying to park at the a hotel or convention center where the event is held. Meeting with the PM and obtaining instructions. Unloading a PSAV truck(s). Pushing cases to the meeting room. Un-casing and setting up gear (Line Array Drive Systems, FOH Station, tuning, labeling) and prepping for the show.

I've learned how AV in a corporate setting operates from the logistics to the technical dissemination and delineation of operations.

Management ranges as in any business as varying personalities play a major part but on a whole, I think the structure is sound.

Co-workers vary as I indicated above with management as well.

The hardest part of the job for me is working and not feeling a sense of appreciation for my hard work as a result of not being compensated in wages enough after proving myself with 3+ years of quality service to the company.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me is executing flawlessly and making a positive impact on clients and the parties involved in giving me the opportunity to provide my services.
Pros
The company is huge with footprints in virtually every market therefore, the possibility of relocating within the company is possible.
Cons
Salaries are among the lowest releative to other companies within the industry.
fun workplace, you never stop learning
Lead Audio technician (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAMay 7, 2016
a typical day at work consists of setting up and striking lcd and support packages in rooms with either a plasma tv, 6/7/8 ft tripod screen, or confidence monitor. Sometimes these rooms will get wireless mics or sound ports. The hardest part of my job is setting up ballrooms which require a lot more equipment and staff. The best part of my job is I'm always learning.
Pros
fun different always learning and expanding skill set. great resume builder
Cons
inconsistent hours
Director of Event Technology (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAMay 3, 2016
I gained experience in innovative solutions in support of events ranging from small meetings in single conference rooms to global multi-media conference events with thousands of attendees.
Very awesome staff and opportunity to travel!
AV Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29210April 26, 2016
PSAV is an awesome AV company I've had the opportunity to work with. It is the largest AV company in the world with branches in the U.S, U.K, South America, and other places around the world. You have the ability to visit new cities as you travel to whatever place they need you to work, often times spanning two or more days. The best part is that they treat you with respect.
Lots of work to go around
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXApril 21, 2016
PSAV is the best company to work for in the event production industry. Quality leadership, quality training, and plenty of promotional opportunities for those with the fortitude to put in the work.

A typical day office/warehouse day for me as a Project Coordinator would start off by first reviewing what I have accomplished the day prior and what is being carried over into today. Next I review the current events I have assigned, then build a list of goals while referencing event checklists. I then proceed to prioritize the list by time and importance then tackle the list. This would include phone/email correspondence; scheduling labor; managing equipment lists; physically sorting gear to go on a show; creating diagrams, charts and other typical office tasks.

A typical day on show site can vary from setting up A/V for a small conference room, to large venue meeting spaces with flown A/V and lighting rigs.

The industry as a whole is very demanding of your time and there can be extreme scheduling changes from week to week. You're either working non-stop 12-18 hour days one week or barely making 30 hours the next week. Then there are busy and slow seasons where there is plenty of work and over time to go around, but it takes a huge toll on your home life if you're intending on spending time with the family.

For those in upper management on salary, then the industry and week to week changes doesn't affect you as much and your work/home life balance is more favorable. But for those like me on the production and hourly side your work/home life balance is much more hectic.
Pros
A/V Company with benefits
Cons
Extreme hours and work/home life imbalance
Decent for entry level
A/V Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 3, 2016
A good place to get your feet wet as an A/V technician. Allows you to meet contacts for freelance work. Co-workers are usually fine, except when given ridiculous deadlines, and the company is completely at the whim of the Hotel.
Awful Workplace, and Poor Management
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2016
My location #1639 at Marriott Chicago O'Hare had MANY issues...

Immediately when I started, the Director went on vacation, and was mostly on mini vacations throughout the duration of my time there. When he was in the office, he was never actually working (mostly socializing and eating candy, with Assistant Director). We couldn't count on him for anything!!!

Sales Manager was even worse. She played "Pass the Buck" constantly, only sold & detailed 10% of the business that came through, everything else was dumped on my desk, and I mean EVERYTHING!!! She came into work 2 hours late each day and left an hour early- her normal work day consisted of socializing, surfing the web, and micromanaging the F out of me- I couldn't even use the bathroom without getting questioned!

My days, on the other hand, consisted of being overworked and underpaid. I had to work 12-13 hour shifts, 5 days a week, just to keep up with the workload. If my volume was lower, due to leaving at normal time, I would get lectured by both the Director and Sales Manager- what a joke!!!

I felt like an indentured slave, while working with PSAV, and still suffer from sleep deprivation and what seems to be ptsd. All of this happened from working there, while others were allowed to take naps on the job, watch Netflix movies, partake in online shopping, play on Tinder, Facebook, Stock Trading websites, etc...

When reaching out to superiors for help, the problem got worse!!!

Overall, I'd say it's a SHOTTY place to work. Run for your life!!!
Pros
Free lunch from hotel, and the health benefits were great!
Cons
No reprieve; overworked and underpaid. They believe in micromanagement.
Very Professional
AV LEAD TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 2, 2016
Very Professional company, Too big to care about their employees.
Very limited space to grow. problems with payments. not to be trusted.
Pros
Very good and professional atitude.
Cons
To big and problems with payments.
Very friendly atmosphere.
Audio Visual Technician / Part Time (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2016
PSAV is located throughout Houston, TX at several locations and hotels. My office is at the Four Seasons Hotel located at downtown. This location is very close to the Toyota Center. The Hotel has been around for more than 40 years and does require some renovations which it is currently going through. Celebrities and Business Moguls come to our hotel often.
Pros
Pros include Free Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Cons
Parking is an issue. If there is a large event happening, priced parking is most likely. It can range from $5-$28 a day.
Great company and atmosphere
Repair & Remarketing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILMarch 29, 2016
PSAV is a great overall company to work for. It has competitive pay and excellent benefits. With hundreds of locations throughout the country, there are plenty of opportunities for career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PSAV. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9