PSEG Employee Reviews

Fast-paced and productive.
Senior Nuclear Procedure Writer, Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Salem, NJOctober 12, 2017
A typical day at work

I normally arrived at 0600, reviewed yesterday's work, scoped today's work, and began work. This work was normally interrupted due to having other procedure writers come to me with questions. I was the person with the most experience in our group, so, naturally, I wanted to help them.

What I learned

I learned to challenge more - people, assumptions, etc.

I interfaced with my management daily. I learned that my management could be relied upon to provide guidance and to remove barriers to the procedure process.

Workplace culture

The culture was that we should work hard, but take a break as needed.

The hardest part of the job

The hardest part of the job for me was meeting with reviewers and management to obtain approval signatures.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when a procedure was approved and issued.

PSEG's management was well-informed, helpful, and easy to speak with. Peers were helpful.

My priorities were changed a number of times, resulting in some lag needed to come up to speed on new assignments.

Overall, a pleasant and productive place to work.
Pros
Pleasant and productive place to work
Cons
During the outage, the pace was gruelling.
Pleasant place to work
Work Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYOctober 10, 2017
PSEG is a pleasant place to work. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. There is a diversified culture here having all different ethnicities and religions. They fund lots of charities through walks and snacks that they sell in the cafeteria where all proceeds go to charity. They also hold different events and always have fun things going on that make it an interesting place to work and keep up office moral. I have had training in many different things since I am here in order to fulfill my position helping me to be efficient at my job.
you will earn your money
chief lineman (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJSeptember 22, 2017
Having worked there for 33 years I have seen many changes in both the company and the workers. Its a dangerous job But a rewarding one. You will get trained, retrained and trained once again. Its a very fun place to work if you have a good work ethic
Pros
very good compinsation
Cons
Must work very long hours in the worse conditions, you do miss many family functions
Be careful
Real Estate (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 18, 2017
Be careful who you work for. I worked for a young woman director and she was clueless. She had never actually done any of the work she was a director of. That fits their philosophy that the management does not need to know or understand what they manage.
Benefits
Cons
Poor work atomsphehe
Great Company to Work For
Customer Billing Intern (Former Employee) –  Bordentown, NJAugust 30, 2017
Interning for PSEG was a great experience. The culture was great and every employee was always willing to help others in need. The Managers and supervisors were also very easy to work with.
tough to keep up
Server (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 7, 2017
keep in the game socially or you lose-speak up is not acceptable. Dont trust any one. Big company-good benefits, good holidays, def encourage volunteering especially on days off
PSEG is ahead of the curve on grid upgrades
Manager, Procurement Contracting (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 31, 2017
PSEG is a well established public utility. They are ahead of the curve on grid upgrades. It is a good place to work.

Good medical benefits, vacation time and holidays.
Meh.
HR Contractor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 28, 2017
This company doesn't have any work life balance. Their HR Team is a revolving door. If you can't keep the people that are supporting the people, how do you expect to run a sufficient organization. Perhaps like other companies, where they encourage you to speak up and talk about the problems. There are hardly solutions, and trust me - the ones that speak up are ousted. This company has hundred year old work processes.
Excellent company
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Cranford, NJJuly 25, 2017
Management in meter reading is very determined and productive, willing to work with employees to create a great work environment while being effective in the field

Report directly to the field most mornings; into office in afternoon to upload workday and take home next days assignment

Hardest part of job is working in extreme weather conditions (snow, rain, heat)

Enjoyable part of job is creating relationships with customers
Pros
Healthcare, 401K
Cons
very little overtime in meter reading department
Manager was not supportive and there were no advancement opportunities
Category Sourcing Lead, Corporate Procurement (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 12, 2017
My manager was not willing to try to drive a re balancing of responsibilities despite a year of requests. An open position was left open for over a year with no end in sight
More concerned about the bottom line than its employees
Accounts Payable Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 3, 2017
The Accounts Payable Department is being out-sourced to India. There is not help or assistance to the employees who are losing their jobs. The company spends millions of dollars a year on charitable contributions, football tickets, sky boxes at sports venues. But eliminates jobs for the less expensive labor over seas.
Pros
Van pool
Cons
No empathy for their employees
Very competitive place to work
Work Week Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ridgefield, NJJune 30, 2017
fast paced environment with a lot of daily challenges but a poor balance work-life. You will acquire the equivalent of five years of experience working one year at PSEG.
Pros
great work experience
Cons
poor work-life balance
Not good job security
Armed Nuclear Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Salem, NJJune 20, 2017
Not a bad place to work however job security is not good. The folks that work their are not bad but many in my department had a negative attitude. Overall not a bad company to work for.
Pseg
Developer (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJune 19, 2017
I wasn't here very long, this was a transition. There were employees that had longevity here. It's an industry that is needed. I don't have much to say about it, since I was there only for a very short period of time.
Good but HR needs improve
Quantitative Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 22, 2017
HR made mistakes when inputting my salary into payroll system.

HR fails to extend my employment due to so called legal stuff, not a convinced reason, HR just wants to keep things simple and didn't learn to process my legal documents, even I am legal to work.
Pros
Boss nice
Cons
HR really sucks
Fossil power generation.
Generation Supervisor/ Planner (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 15, 2017
Coal power generation was a good jobs and had better opportunity
Now due to shale Gas the coal power plants have no Future so the plants are closing. Still there are better opportunity in the company just keep trying.
Pros
Advance to other jobs.
Cons
Plant closing.
A safe envirmonet to work with possible growth through out the company
Meter Reader Analyst (Former Employee) –  Roslyn, NYApril 19, 2017
A daily routine of the job included meeting at the office going over company rules and expectations. safety is a extreme importance to the company. Drive a company vehicle to the field or town you are working in. Go from house to house safely and read and analyze electrical meters. Average day walking through out the town is 10-15 miles. Being aware of surroundings at all times because I was walking on home owners property's and respect should be given.
Lots to learn
other (Former Employee) –  south jerseyApril 12, 2017
Great mentors and lots to learn. It's a dynamic industry with significant potential and should be considered for many career opportunities. Highly suggested. People are very friendly and willing to help. You will work very hard; however, it's a rewarding place if you make it your own experience.
productive environment work place
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJApril 9, 2017
very pleasant co-workers. They are very welcoming and act like family. Always productive because management is very supportive. Another great thing about PSEG is that sometimes management buys food for the team just because.
Pros
frequent team building exercises
1st job
Market Risk Analyst, Corporate Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 2, 2017
This is my first job out of school. The team is very small but we worked closely and have become very good friends. The company has good benefit but people working there is older on average.