Psychiatric Institute of Washington Employee Reviews

Clinical planning for the chid and adolescent team
Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Clinical servicesSeptember 7, 2016
A typical day consist of coordinating clinical management of the child and adolescent population working collaboratively, with child and family services. Management of the clinical staff and dialogue with the hospital administrative team to discuss clinical and administrative issues and/or concerns.
Great mental care
Outpatient Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 3, 2015
Excellent physicians who employ the best care to their patients. Easy going staff makes the work day smooth. Multi-department institution that works cohesively.
Poor working conditions
Registered Nurse I (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 7, 2015
Management changed frequently, staffing was inadequate and the work load was unreasonable. I loved my patients, that's why I stayed.
Excellent work environment with dedicated staff.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 5, 2015
N. Street was an outstanding work environment, with a diverse and dedicated staff. My supervisor was outstanding. We offered comprehensive services, including housing and drug treatment. There was an active volunteer program which allowed the Wellness Center to offer acupuncture and massage. The drug treatment was long term which allowed the women to truly make changes to create a strong recovery.
Pros
wonderful staff, rewarding work
Cons
low pay
If you like crazy "literally" you will get it here!
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2015
Please do not get convinced by the couple extra dollars they pay nurses to work here. If you become a staff nurse here you will suffer if you care about your profession and for your patients. This organization DO NOT care about their employees or their patients. They only care about getting paid by Medicaid. Yes! Most of the patients are homeless and drug addicts that have no insurance and are brought in by the police or just want a place to eat and rest and say they are suicidal to get admitted. If you think you will provide and practice nursing care in here you will be fooled. Their programs aren't really conducive to rehabilitation because they DO NOT provide enough effective psychiatric/psychological counseling groups or therapy necessary to help the patients. Patients are wondering around the units all day, getting bored and causing trouble. The nurse to patient ratios are 30:1 and because there are no computerized systems you will be writing on charts, writing reports for admissions and writing discharges ALL DAY. There is an average of 5-10 admissions and 5-10 discharges in one day to be handled by one or two nurses. You also have to transcribe ALL medications and they do not require doctors to write legible, provoking either a chase the doctor all day or med error. There are small work rooms that become A CHAOS where doctors, nurses, social workers, counselors and techs all want to be in the same small room doing their work because they need to access the patient's PAPER CHARTS. In the mean time the phones are ringing off the charts because the admission department  more... has another new patient. When a patient wants to leave AMA they try to hold the patient 48 hours even if the patient has been admitted voluntarily. Almost all of these AMA patients become agitated because they can't leave even if they have the legal right to do so. The chaotic environment does not allow you to practice or actually be a nurse. You work all day with an enable fight or flight sensation because there is NO security in the units where they have mostly male patients. They want female staff to go inside the male patients rooms where there are up to 5 male patients per room, and stay there for 5 minutes, by yourself, to do round checks. Administration practice a type of bully approach that states if you don't like it you can leave or we let you leave. I can say more but I am getting irritated as I write. I hope you will find this description enough to make the right decision.  less
Pros
If all you care about is hourly pay you may become comfortable here. But, be warned this comes with a well above tolerance stress level.
Cons
NO SECURITY, female staff has to physically restraint male patients, No parking or subsidy, Costly health Insurance, Sloppy unprofessional culture, NO COMPUTERS
worst job in the world
Liscenced Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2014
This has got to be the worst job in the world. I think I would rather work at McDonalds flipping burgers.
Pros
good staff
Cons
everything else
stressful fun and overwhelming
Psychiatric Counselor (Current Employee) –  4228 Wisconsine Ave Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2014
its a job, a lot of work not enough staff, barely get a break and you are not paid if you do not take your break
Short term psychiatric care
Maintainance Mechanic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 12, 2014
Working at PIW was a very "unique" experience, never really had a solid schedule there even after 2 years. The co- workers are overall friendly for the most part but management could really use some work.
Conducive work environment
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2014
It is a nice place to work and encourages professional growth.
It`s of great importance to assist these individuals with mental issues thereby ensuing individual ,family and community safety.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  CHILD, ADOLESCENT,ADULTS AND DETOX UNITSJanuary 17, 2014
It is a highly productive place as huge efforts are daily put in to mentally stabilize individuals suffering from mental, emotional, behavioral and Drug/alcohol issues. A typical day was an attempt to assist a manic patient who unexpectedly jumped over the nurses desk to attack me but patient after treatment came and apologized to me saying"I am very sorry for the other day, I had a blackout and did not realize you were the person talking to me."
I have learned a holistic nursing approach to psych. patients,team work pattern with quality patient outcomes,patience and tolerance and maintaining adequate safety precautionary measures in different mental health condition. Management is of average and needs to be reviewed.My hardest part of the job is when certain co workers are not compliant to directions in crisis management.
The enjoyable part is usually seeing my patients stabilizing,responding to treatment and getting discharged with good aftercare plans.
Pros
free lunch on birthdays.
Cons
nurses on my unit rarely have time for at least minutes break due to business of the unit.
Enjoyable work place
DC. STAFF LPN, PRN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2013
Nursing duties. Taking care of residents geriatrics and pediatrics
Great job, fit for my daily agenda with school and being a parent.
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2013
A typical day at work can be described as eventful at one minute and peaceful and serene at the next. I learned to be patient and very careful working with the classification of patients we were accustomed to. Management was very adept in conducting daily business functions and attempting to provide employee comfort-ability and satisfaction. The hardest part of the job was to witness and partake in restraints with insubordinate patients. The most enjoyable part of the job would be that the position I held granted me time to complete school work while still maintaining job responsibilities.
Pros
computer access, friendly staff, peaceful environment
Cons
poor tuition assistance program.
Good Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2013
This is a decent company to work for though it was consistently an irate atmosphere due to the patients that was brought in most of the time. Regardless of the fact that I worked overnight, I still enjoyed the time I spent working at this company.
family live act for employees
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2013
a typical day for me was to do what was required of me for that day,be consistant,thourgh and have patients,respect and compassion for the patients.My supervisor displayed exellant management skills.My co-workers were extremly helpful to me.I do not remember any part of my job being hard.The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the job done,incident free and working with the people on my shift. I really would like this opportunity to deminstrate my ability and experiance,dependibility and humble respect for the job and co-workers at (PIW)
Stressfull environment with little leadership
prn tech (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2013
PIW has become an extremely stressfull place to work at. The management style has become borderline tyranny. The people who hold power hire their friends and promote only the employees they know personally or who will 'fix' any 'problems' before the management hears about it. If you do not complete whatever paperwork they say is your responsibility (and often times, they request staff to complete notes that are NOT from the days/shift the staff worked) they try to threaten or bully.
Very busy environment, great staff
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2012
Very busy working environment, most coworkers are team players
provides excellent opportiities for gaining clinical experience
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  washington dcApril 26, 2012
this private provider puts profit and finances issues above all else. it's culture focuses on it's ability to attract and keep well paying pts.Good, short term clinical services are provided as long as they are reimbursable. a more comprehensive, long term plan for pts. who have serious mental illness is lacking.
Pros
quality staff
Cons
high staff turnover, poor advancement opportunities, limited loyalty to staff

2.9