Psychiatric Institute of Washington

Psychiatric Institute of Washington Employee Reviews

stressful fun and overwhelming
Psychiatric Counselor (Current Employee), 4228 Wisconsine Ave Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2014
its a job, a lot of work not enough staff, barely get a break and you are not paid if you do not take your break
Short term psychiatric care
Maintainance Mechanic Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 12, 2014
Working at PIW was a very "unique" experience, never really had a solid schedule there even after 2 years. The co- workers are overall friendly for the most part but management could really use some work.
Conducive work environment
Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2014
It is a nice place to work and encourages professional growth.
It`s of great importance to assist these individuals with mental issues thereby ensuing individual ,family and community safety.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), CHILD, ADOLESCENT,ADULTS AND DETOX UNITSJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch on birthdays.
Cons: nurses on my unit rarely have time for at least minutes break due to business of the unit.
It is a highly productive place as huge efforts are daily put in to mentally stabilize individuals suffering from mental, emotional, behavioral and Drug/alcohol issues. A typical day was an attempt to assist a manic patient who unexpectedly jumped over the nurses desk to attack me but patient after treatment came and apologized to me saying"I am very sorry for the other day, I had a blackout and did not realize you were the person talking to me."
I have learned a holistic nursing approach to psych. patients,team work pattern with quality patient outcomes,patience and tolerance and maintaining adequate safety precautionary measures in different mental health condition. Management is of average and needs to be reviewed.My hardest part of the job is when certain co workers are not compliant to directions in crisis management.
The enjoyable part is usually seeing my patients stabilizing,responding to treatment and getting discharged with good aftercare plans.
Enjoyable work place
DC. STAFF LPN, PRN (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 30, 2013
Nursing duties. Taking care of residents geriatrics and pediatrics
Great job, fit for my daily agenda with school and being a parent.
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 23, 2013
Pros: computer access, friendly staff, peaceful environment
Cons: poor tuition assistance program.
A typical day at work can be described as eventful at one minute and peaceful and serene at the next. I learned to be patient and very careful working with the classification of patients we were accustomed to. Management was very adept in conducting daily business functions and attempting to provide employee comfort-ability and satisfaction. The hardest part of the job was to witness and partake in restraints with insubordinate patients. The most enjoyable part of the job would be that the position I held granted me time to complete school work while still maintaining job responsibilities.
Good Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 1, 2013
This is a decent company to work for though it was consistently an irate atmosphere due to the patients that was brought in most of the time. Regardless of the fact that I worked overnight, I still enjoyed the time I spent working at this company.
family live act for employees
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 21, 2013
a typical day for me was to do what was required of me for that day,be consistant,thourgh and have patients,respect and compassion for the patients.My supervisor displayed exellant management skills.My co-workers were extremly helpful to me.I do not remember any part of my job being hard.The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the job done,incident free and working with the people on my shift. I really would like this opportunity to deminstrate my ability and experiance,dependibility and humble respect for the job and co-workers at (PIW)
Stressfull environment with little leadership
prn tech (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2013
PIW has become an extremely stressfull place to work at. The management style has become borderline tyranny. The people who hold power hire their friends and promote only the employees they know personally or who will 'fix' any 'problems' before the management hears about it. If you do not complete whatever paperwork they say is your responsibility (and often times, they request staff to complete notes that are NOT from the days/shift the staff worked) they try to threaten or bully.
Very busy environment, great staff
Nurse (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 30, 2012
Very busy working environment, most coworkers are team players
provides excellent opportiities for gaining clinical experience
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee), washington dcApril 26, 2012
Pros: quality staff
Cons: high staff turnover, poor advancement opportunities, limited loyalty to staff
this private provider puts profit and finances issues above all else. it's culture focuses on it's ability to attract and keep well paying pts.Good, short term clinical services are provided as long as they are reimbursable. a more comprehensive, long term plan for pts. who have serious mental illness is lacking.