Public Consulting Group Employee Reviews

A good job to have while you look for another job
Data Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clarkston, WAJuly 7, 2015
A typical day you spent talking to people on the phone that are on hard times. They have physical impairments or mental disorders. I learned great computer skills and about disability insurance. Management treats people well, but it is very imbalanced. There are no male supervisors. Co-workers are cool. We have fun. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a caseload and remembering to manage applications, request medical records, mail correspondence, and check up on claimants. The most enjoyable part of the job is the laid back atmosphere. People don't get angry or upset. They train you well.
Pros
People are nice and patient in training. Sometimes we have potlucks. Health insurance on day one.
Cons
No 401K for a year, not a lot of compensation.
No time management
Employment Training Adviser (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CANovember 3, 2015
There is no management support. No time to assist clients and complete work. Here coworkers are like your family and hard-working.
Pros
Great staff and benefits.
Cons
Not enough time to complete work.
Good pay, horrible place to work!!
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 20, 2016
Still employed here, and looking for another job to run out of here fast. I knew after the first day, this wasn't the place for me. So I see now a month later, why no one stays. The only GOOD thing I can say about this place is the pay is good, other then that you can forget it. If you have a family, they require a doctor's not even if you're out for one day. They aren't friendly, no "good morning", or "how's everything going" , and don't really care to get to know you either. They don't talk to you, and have no time for you. Have you ever worked for a company that doesn't give you a paid break every 4 hours, well don't work here. You can be making a phone call and away from your desk for 10 minutes, but you're required to stay extra. The people are nasty, and they play favorites, so don't rub them the wrong way, because you'll be an outkast. To make matters worse there's NO WORK. Yes, your job can be help desk, business analyst, etc, and you will be making outbound calls all day. This is the worst job I have evvvvvvvvvvver had. My advice is to stay as far away as possible. Trust me, the good pay isn't worth everything else that you go through.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Good money management unprofessional
Compliance Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 24, 2016
Was hired for one location which was remote for 2 years. When management needed to fill overhead had to go over an hour to work with no flexibility. Not equal between office workers and remote workers. If there is a slight disagreement with management they will fire you.
Office location is lacking in comorodery.
Upper management in North Carolina and Boston are available and listen.
Pros
Yearly and Christmas bonus and yearly pay increase
Cons
Management is unprofessional
Great place to work at with and keeps you on your toes.
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2013
-A typical day at work consisted of intense research into city agency systems in order to find potentially qualified candidates for disability benefits.

-I learned a lot about child welfare and the process of how children enter and leave foster care.

-Management was a rare presence.

-Co-workers were driven and very isolated.

-The hardest part of the job was allocating a substantial amount of children on a monthly basis who would qualify for disability benefits, since the numbers started dwindling.

-The most enjoyable part of the job was being to submit a successful claim that would assist foster children in providing them with much needed additional resources.
Pros
we weren't micro-managed and were given the trust to complete our work.
Cons
it was a temp assignment
A growing company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2015
Fast paced environment. Growing pains associated with the success of the company. Generous company outings. Difficult work/life balance. Unable to take advantage of some of the benefits due to time constraints of the job.
Great work atmosphere
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2015
PCG is a great place to learn and grow. People are very friendly, so it's easy to form strong bonds with co-workers. Some managers are great and easy to work with.
Pros
great people
Cons
benefits could be better. high premiums for medical and dental coverage
The worst place to work
Employment Training Advisor (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CASeptember 21, 2015
lack of communication from management, and totally no direction. The managers are full of illiterate people who does not have any managerial skills. You can only get promoted if you are one of those who takes their boss to breakfast and lunch. totally crazy there! Employees are totally exhausted due to overload of work.
Pros
They don't fire you, but believe me you will fire yourself.
Cons
Poor management, less pay, no direction at all.
Very production
Supplemental Security Income Advocate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 25, 2014
Working with PCG has been one of the best and rewarding experiences. It takes great patience to work with people with disabilities and walking them through the process of obtaining SS benefits.
Pros
building a relationship with your customers.
Cons
the long process of obtaining ss benefits.
Great job if you are not a temporary contractor
Payment Poster (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth nhMarch 5, 2014
great place to work but they only hire people as temps to start and you could be a temp for YEARS before becoming permanent. When permanent this is a great job with great benefits if you can wait that long.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
temp before perm
not for the faint of heart or thin skinned
former employee (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 20, 2013
It's you're typical consulting environment. Old school, no forward thinking, vanilla and the rich stay rich.

Not much room for advancement unless you are on the "consulting" track. Long hours expected. Senior management has been there forever and they do nothing to stay abreast of current best practices.

If you're a high performer, you will feel stifled in this organization.
Pros
decent annual bonus opportunities
Cons
lack of managerial vision, complete disconnect between sr leadership and the employee base
I liked the people I worked with. I enjoyed helping clients
Claims Developer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MassachusettsNovember 17, 2014
Management is horrible! They are never on the same page and rarely make an appearance in the office. Leads talk about employees on the floor where others can hear instead of going to a private area where they cannot be overheard. Directors do not appear to know what happens in the branch offices. If you discuss an issue with your supervisor he or she immediately becomes defensive and turns it around to be your fault. No room for advancement. After 5 years or more, members of my team and others doing simiar work never advanced beyond a specialist I. We were told not to use our team as a resource or ask questions to one another. All questions were to be directed to your lead. If you asked your lead questions you were accused of not being able to keep up or did not have the ability to successfully perform your job duties as expected. Issues occurring within the office and brought to the supervors attention were never handled timely or efficiently and sometimes not at all.
Pros
get off early on friday
Cons
leads bullied and spoke inappropriately to staff, poor management
Bad managers
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 20, 2015
I like everyone in the company except the two people who manage me. The company likes to low-ball people on salaries but you can negotiate with them.
Very productive company and enjoyable atmosphere to come to work daily
MECare Member Services Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEAugust 23, 2013
I have learned a great deal about the Medicaid insurance since working for this company as that is what we were sub-contracted to do for the state. My management team is awesome! All of them have been here for 5+ years and the Manager has been here since day one and started out as a Member Service Rep just like myself and worked her way up. My co-workers and reps are great and well trained in customer service skills and we all work very good together, quite a cohesive unit, great team! I have really grown as a person working here and have learned alot from my managers, my team and the people I have helped for the past 5+ years and have also gained more administrative skills.
unprofessional management, prehistoric outdated billing systems
education (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 25, 2014
the company itself is good it is specific department heads that are the problem. one director is known for using racial terms another is known for bullying her employees and there are several who are known for sleeping with a director. With all this non sense going on on top of it when hr gets reports they act as if the reporting person is at fault in other words when management gets wind that there has been a complainant, they immediately set out to discredit the employee and H.R automatically believes management as if they can never ever be wrong
Pros
two bonuses a year
Cons
terribly unprofessional, and systems used are pre historic and outdated.
Terrible management a very hostile place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  AugustaApril 4, 2015
Management was terrible very unprofessional. There was no one you could go to with concerns without the whole office knowing about it. No privacy and tons of gossip and whispers.
Pros
quarterly bonuses.... if you were the bosses favorite
Cons
management unprofessional, inappropriate situations, its a hostile work enviroment lawsuit waiting to happen
Payroll Co
Financial Operations Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston MaAugust 7, 2015
Overall a good company as a whole. Progression is very important to allot of employees I like to think the company keeps that in mind
Terrible
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEJuly 30, 2014
The management is HORRIBLE. They time your restroom breaks. Supervisors are very immature and have had no experience as managers. I liked the work but the supervisors out weighed the headache of worried firing. Don't work here!
Pros
mon-fri, weekends off
Cons
you can get fired for a stupid reason at any time
School specialist II (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 2, 2015
Sometimes overloaded with works. Management is okay. Some managers are bossy.Nice place to work. Under-payed when compared to workload. Christmas bonus is reasonable. Co workers are understanding.
Pros
nice and safe place to work
Cons
expensive healthcare insurance. limited opprtunity
Investigative Analyst- Operations (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 27, 2015
Work was always interesting. Would love to be a permanent employee with this company. Work schedule very flexible. Great people.

2.7