Public Health Institute Employee Reviews

Supportive leadership and excellent benefits
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 20, 2015
PHI is very supportive of its employees, provides good compensation and excellent benefits, and has a diverse and dedicated staff. There are many opportunities to engage in a variety of public health programs both within California and internationally.
Productive workplace with management support
Marketing Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CAJune 29, 2015
Co-workers support, addressing customer needs, learning from others, making management aware of issues and knowing that job security is limited!
Pros
Staffs motivation to customer service
Cons
Job Sec
Cultural blend of individuals
Admin Support/Reception (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2015
Contract position ends in 2016.
Supportive and caring environment, staff.
Excellent benefits.
Wonderful group of culturally diverse colleagues.
Very long, 11 hour days away from home.
Not completely satisfied with hours of job.
Pros
great benefits and people
Cons
contract position; hours of job cannot be adjusted
Best place to work for
Bilingual Call Center Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 31, 2014
Co-workers are excellent
Managers are wonderful
was sitting 8 hours
a great job where I was able to utilize my computer skills
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 28, 2014
A typical day would be me sitting in my cubical to process check requests, travel arrangements, expense reimbursements, purchase orders and then maintain analytically and statistical spreadsheets for budgets and partners as well as for promotional items. I also processed payroll for up to 200 employees. I enjoyed my co-workers as a great team and enjoyed that my job promoted personal health and company growth.
Great staff and mission
Senior Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 21, 2014
Lead many different departments, so my time was focused on keeping them all moving and taking obstacles out of their way.

I lead Grants & Contracts, Operations, Development, and co lead accounting.

The team supported 120 different project centers at PHI.

I was responsible to assure all reporting and spending was in compliance with all 200 plus funders.
Pros
staff, mission, project teams
Cons
communication with management
Great place to work with the best work/life balance
Marketing Manager III (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 9, 2014
PHI is a great place to work. They are a very well managed company that values its employees.
Best company I have ever worked with
Senior Technical Advisor for MNCH (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 17, 2013
Wonderful management, great benefits and superb environment
benefits
Cons
duration of contracts but it is in the government contract
Wonderful workplace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 12, 2013
PHI is a fantastic organization. I am blessed to be able to work in a field that I am passionate about. Programs serve communities both locally and internationally, and are very innovative. The environment is relaxed, and everyone is friendly. The food they provide at meetings and celebrations is wonderful as well, which is always a perk.
Loved going to work!
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 27, 2012
It was a great place to work in the beginning, but new management were hired this year and some of them were not suited for the position they were hired for. Many staff left and others that did not fit into there plan were let go.
It was sad to see what was happening, as I loved my job, the people I worked with and what I did. I would always give it my all and considered the office and staff my second family and home.
I learned a great deal while working there and treasure my experences and learning curves I went through while working there.
The hardest part of my job was learning how to research topics in depth via the internet and then write up a summary on what I had found for my boss, the Program Director.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the organization and planning of the off-site conferences and the annual Holiday party.
Some days I found it hard to believe that I was getting paid to do what I did, I found so much enjoyment in it.
Pros
great health care and flexible schedule.
Cons
i can't think of any.

4.3