Public Outreach Employee Reviews in United States

Ice Cream Parlor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2016
Coldstone creamery is an ice cream parlor/ eatery that carols as they churn up ice cream with any combination of your favorite ingredients.
Serving people is always a wonderful and rewarding prospect!
Director (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IdahoApril 28, 2016
I had the privilege of developing amazing leaders and staff members and watch them grow in the positions I entrusted them with. I had the freedom to be creative in a way that I may never have had anywhere else. The hardest part of the job was being micro managed, the greatest part of the job was placing people in their strengths where they could truly flourish.
Pros
You get to help people and be a part of something bigger than yourself
Cons
Low wages for the workload
Outdoor Work
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 1, 2015
Start your day outside and try to stop people to talk to them about whatever cause you are trying to help. I learned about all kinds of things like women trafficking and women's rights in other countries. The management was great. The boss was generous and helpful even came out to help us on his days off. The co-workers were helpful and amazing. Loved how they were kind to one another and was willing to be fun and silly at the right times. The hardest part was trying to get someone to sponsor or to help and pay for a cause to be stopped. The most enjoyable part was hearing how these people wanted to help and is willing to help others in need.
Positive and Uplifting Work Environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAAugust 28, 2015
Public Outreach is a fun and fulfilling place to work, with very supportive and compassionate coworkers and management. Friendly and welcoming environment.
Typical work day
-Team meaning / Learning exercise
-Get our daily location and Street Team goule of the day
-Get company phone and login
-Go to destination using the information provided and customer service skills do your best to get Children Sponsorships
-Logout at the end of your work day
Pros
Chances to advance in the company, healthcare and benefit after 6 months
Cons
getting through rough days when nobody sponsors a child
Best company to work for!
FUNDRAISING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  BostonJuly 30, 2015
Truly amazing. I will never forget my time here and it made me who I am today. Thank you.

We raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for progressive nonprofits and do so within a culture of quality. Investing in the willing and able is essential and drives the family feel that this company offers.
Pros
Culture, team
Cons
Once hitting Fundraising Manager, there is not a pathway up to any further positions to strive towards. This is why I left.
Fun workplace with great individuals
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMay 13, 2015
The environment is very fun and relaxed. Particularly great experience for anyone fresh out of college and looking for a challenge and a worthy cause. Far more organized and friendly than most canvassing environments.

There is a strong sense of camaraderie, little competition, and great growth potential.
Pros
Great environment, Strong leaders, Positive Workplace, Casual setting
Cons
High turnover, Inconsistent days
Fun place to work. amazing and supportive people
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 9, 2015
Door-to-door sales was something i never thought i would, but the people i worked with made it that much more fun. we would get into morning circles and practice our pitches.
Pros
free transportation and paid really well
Cons
no commission
Great job
Fundraising Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2014
Public Outreach overall was a great experience, there is much to learn from the job. However it becomes a little life consuming. All in all the culture and environment of the coworkers is wonderful.
Productive and very close to my heart
FUNDRAISER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 27, 2014
I enjoyed PO fundraising for the fact that I am a strong believer in helping one another. Even though the office is no longer on Lewis Street in Boston, I can still remember the smell and the look on everyone's faces as they were scrambling to stay organized and get prepped to meet up at each site. I'm a big people's person and l really enjoyed getting to know people on a daily basis and sharing this enjoyment with the company. I have made lifelong friends in and outside the company just by being myself and earning trust from complete strangers to donate to good causes. The best part was they are a non-profit so all the proceeds go exactly where they told us they would go and it made me feel proud every single day I worked knowing that I was helping people help each other and that's what always kept me motivated.
Pros
group lunches, new friends, helped me build my confidence to speak to anyone and start a conversation
Cons
standing outside all day in all of new englands beautiful bi-polar weather conditions
Great work enviorment with awsome teammates
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  237 West 35th Street New York, NYOctober 27, 2014
A typical day at work was fundraising on the streets by talking to everyone that passed by and getting them to donate monthly for a great cause. I learned how to build great rapport with everyone I meet. I learned how to manage and train individuals and teams.
This management was one of the best i've ever had the pleasure of working with. My co-workers were great, kind, and fun people to work with. The hardest part of the Job was standing out in the cold all day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was engaging the public.
Pros
good work, great team and management, and good pay
Cons
your outside no matter what the whether conditions are.
Awesome Job.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2014
It was a wonderful experience, I adored the people I worked with, even as briefly as I knew them. My only regret is that the job is so taxing and tends to burn you out due to the high level of energy required.
Cons
hard to make the cut.
Very Productive and friendly work environment
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
Every work day always presented new opportunities.
One thing i liked about this organization was the ability to grow and expand your responsibilities and placement.
Co workers were friendly and always willing to help.
Very fun workplace. I learned many new things.
Street Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 30, 2014
This job allowed you to be yourself while making good money. I t was a very rewarding job.
Pros
money, your doing a good deed for your community.
Cons
having to be outside with hot or cold weather.
Great People, alot of Personal Growth and Lots of NetWorking.
Fundraiser/ Supervisor for Plan International (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2014
it was a great work environment, and my co workers are great. Theres alot of growing potential, i moved up pretty quick in the company. Alot of self developement and growth working for this company. The hardest part of the job is actually getting a high amount of people to sign up for a child sponsership which is a residual bill that they will have to pay every month, but at the same time you feel so complete and proud of doing somthing thats helping the world. You're actually making a change and it makes you feel invigerated inside.
Pros
outside freedom
Cons
spend alot of money on food.
Productive Work Place
Outreach Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 13, 2014
Efficient methodology for outreach. However i felt could have benefited from more malleability. Their approach may have been a little bit too rigid for me.
Fun Environment!
Professional Fundraiser/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  hollywood, CAApril 25, 2014
If you love talking to people and raising money its an excellent job! The people are from all walks and the staff are amazing! Hardest part of the job is if your not good at convincing people to sign up your expendable. They rate you on your consistency as if you work on commision but no matter how much money you raise you never get any extra in your paycheck. You can work twice as hard and the only benefit is favoritism. Best part is making people smile worst part is the management.
Pros
fun staff
Cons
short breaks, favoritism, no commision, easily expendable

Comment – May 20, 2014

We truly appreciate all the hard work that you put into this job. It isn't the easiest thing standing out with the public looking for those who want to get involved and make a positive impact. This job, just like any job, is performance based. We find our weekly fundraising targets very achievable, but if a bad week happens we give new targets and look to see improvement. We work with the willing and able to maximize their potential and when that happens, they are compensated with frequent wages increases, benefits, travel opportunities and leadership advancement.

Great
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 18, 2014
It was a great company to work for.. lots of fun. I just wasn't cut out for the job...
A job anyone can do, but not a job for everyone
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  SeattleFebruary 28, 2014
Almost all starting jobs at Public Outreach are for street fundraisers, otherwise known as canvassers, street yellers, in the UK chuggers i.e. "charity muggers."

Which is sometimes true, but hopefully not.

Public Outreach is a third party fundraising company for a variety of nonprofits, like an agency that makes that makes TV commercial campaigns for charities. Except in this, you're the commercial. And you're outside. And people talk back to you, sometimes rudely.

Because it's working outside, it's a much nicer job to do in LA than the Midwest, but the substance is the same wherever. You have to get people in public to talk to you when their plan is often anything but that, and do it in a way that's not so aggressive or annoying that people actively hate you.

The goal is to fundraise, and unlike most other canvassing companies PO *only* counts monthly donors. The equivalent for other organizations would be "sustainers." Quota is an average of $30 in sustainers per day per week. A $15 monthly gift would be half of what you need for a day (10 percent of a 5-day work week), but a $500 one time gift would be worth nothing.

The pay is hourly, starting at $10 or $11 depending on the market, and there's no bonus for a good day or good week. So essentially, your motivation is just to keep going and talking to people about a charity. You get a $0.50 per hour pay raise when you staff (getting that average) and each time you hit the next overall total, so about every month and a half for full time workers. Top pay is $16 or $17, again, depending on the market.

But most people who
  more... try the job and get picked for training won't staff, and most people who staff won't make it beyond about 3 months. People who make it to 3 months typically fall off after 6 months, and after 6 months people go until they burn out after a few years, either as fundraisers or once they've done a management level job for a while (and for management, the job work/life balance rating seems to be 1-star). Those jobs open up fairly regularly because of that burn out, and somewhat less often, because a new office is opened.

Most people won't staff because it's a very negative job, and if you're not an incredibly positive person, being told "Not today" or worse repeatedly for saying "Hello" wears on you. If you meet a nice person and really need a sign up for the day, you may yourself end up pleading with them to do something they're not into just so you can keep your job. That wears on you, too.

And when you do get that sign up at the end of the day, and it actually does process, you still have the pressure of doing it all the next one.

So, on a typical day, street fundraisers meet at the office for a meeting to talk about numbers, or focus on a particular skill or updated information about the charity. Most typically it's just an energizer to get people in the mood to TALK TO PEOPLE all day.

You go out together in a teams to the actual fundraising locations, called 'turf.' In most cities, turf is shared with other canvassing organizations, and there's a rotation so there's not competition between charities and rival consultancies.

There's two paid 15 minute breaks for smokes, coffee, etc., and a lunch in the middle of the day to break the work into quarters.

When you're out there, there are other fundraisers around, your supervisor comes by to check on you, and you're completely awash in people most of the time. But you can sure feel completely alone, too.

The good things, really, are that for young people who are trying to figure out their lives and do something "meaningful," it is better than working retail or bartending or doing other service jobs.

If you've hit rock bottom recently, it's nice when someone actually expects something of you, like supervising a crew of people and doing paperwork. You may still be a screw up, but you can feel like you're not while you work.

And if you're either genuinely passionate about the charitable sector, or as other have said, a manipulative sociopath, you can do this sort of thing for the long haul and get a salaried job, or paid to travel to lots of places and do this gig indefinitely.

But it's not a job for everyone, and for most who can do it, it's sort of a phase while you're sorting other stuff out, looking to get a paycheck, and be able to look at yourself in the mirror for what you have to do to get it.
Pros
noncommission, benefits, decent wage, work experience doesn't matter
Cons
keeping job dependent on performance, gets old hearing, "no" and being treated like dirt regularly, initital eval goes by quick

Comment – May 20, 2014

You must have worked for us for quite some time to know so much about us. With that being said, we appreciate everything that you put into this kind of work and we hope at the end of the day you took something away from this job besides a paycheck. Sure this job can be difficult, but getting funding for any non profit is always going to have its challenges. It's important to note that if you are hitting the minimum requirements of the job, not only will you be making $14-$16/hr on good days and bad, but that the company does truly want to best for it's employees. That's why they provide healthcare benefits, paid time off, travel opportunities and leadership development.

Not for everyone
Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: Decent pay

Cons: Standing long hours, ANY weather condition
outside all day in all elements
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 3, 2014
Long days standing up, being ignored or avoided but when you make a connection its very gratifying.

I learned persistence.

Management was upbeat, but not very good trainers.

Co workers were cool and out going.

Hardest part was being outside when its cold in the morning, having to carry and watch what ever I need for the day.

The best part of the job is that there is a culture of helping people, and each individual really cares.

Comment – May 20, 2014

Thank you for putting in your best effort for the time you were with our company. Yes this is an outdoor job and we typically don't take days off due to weather. We have actually had some of our best days when the weather is poor, so it does come down to your outlook on what you are doing each day. We also do this work year round all over the country. That means winter time in Minneapolis, Chicago, New York and Boston! Some very dedicated and driven fundraisers in those cities!