Public Outreach Employee Reviews

summer job turned career
Fundraising Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2017
I took this job to make some extra money in the summer. Ended up that this was actually a really rewarding job that made me feel like I was making a difference. Room for advancement, pay is great, incentives are helpful.
fun workplace
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 8, 2017
Subcontracted professional fundraiser for the American Red Cross. Involved direct fundraising utilizing a wide variety of methods. Canvassing neighborhoods, and cold calling included.
Pros
Felt good helping the red cross
Cons
lots of walking
Great experience
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  MontrealJune 2, 2016
I loved my coworkers. Most of the staff there are beautiful people, on the inside and out. Working with them, I learned to be fearless, outspoken, ambassadorial: fearless because 60% of those who open the door to you will promptly slam it in your face upon seeing the vests; outspoken because you have to engage your audience into a movement; ambassadorial because every few weeks you embody a new movement, a new organization, a new cause. There were campaigns that I hated working on, but you push through that. You learn to put in twice the effort.
Ice Cream Parlor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2016
Coldstone creamery is an ice cream parlor/ eatery that carols as they churn up ice cream with any combination of your favorite ingredients.
Serving people is always a wonderful and rewarding prospect!
Director (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IdahoApril 28, 2016
I had the privilege of developing amazing leaders and staff members and watch them grow in the positions I entrusted them with. I had the freedom to be creative in a way that I may never have had anywhere else. The hardest part of the job was being micro managed, the greatest part of the job was placing people in their strengths where they could truly flourish.
Pros
You get to help people and be a part of something bigger than yourself
Cons
Low wages for the workload
Outdoor Work
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 1, 2015
Start your day outside and try to stop people to talk to them about whatever cause you are trying to help. I learned about all kinds of things like women trafficking and women's rights in other countries. The management was great. The boss was generous and helpful even came out to help us on his days off. The co-workers were helpful and amazing. Loved how they were kind to one another and was willing to be fun and silly at the right times. The hardest part was trying to get someone to sponsor or to help and pay for a cause to be stopped. The most enjoyable part was hearing how these people wanted to help and is willing to help others in need.
Positive and Uplifting Work Environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAAugust 28, 2015
Public Outreach is a fun and fulfilling place to work, with very supportive and compassionate coworkers and management. Friendly and welcoming environment.
Typical work day
-Team meaning / Learning exercise
-Get our daily location and Street Team goule of the day
-Get company phone and login
-Go to destination using the information provided and customer service skills do your best to get Children Sponsorships
-Logout at the end of your work day
Pros
Chances to advance in the company, healthcare and benefit after 6 months
Cons
getting through rough days when nobody sponsors a child
Best company to work for!
FUNDRAISING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  BostonJuly 30, 2015
Truly amazing. I will never forget my time here and it made me who I am today. Thank you.

We raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for progressive nonprofits and do so within a culture of quality. Investing in the willing and able is essential and drives the family feel that this company offers.
Pros
Culture, team
Cons
Once hitting Fundraising Manager, there is not a pathway up to any further positions to strive towards. This is why I left.
Fun workplace with great individuals
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMay 13, 2015
The environment is very fun and relaxed. Particularly great experience for anyone fresh out of college and looking for a challenge and a worthy cause. Far more organized and friendly than most canvassing environments.

There is a strong sense of camaraderie, little competition, and great growth potential.
Pros
Great environment, Strong leaders, Positive Workplace, Casual setting
Cons
High turnover, Inconsistent days
Fun place to work. amazing and supportive people
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 9, 2015
Door-to-door sales was something i never thought i would, but the people i worked with made it that much more fun. we would get into morning circles and practice our pitches.
Pros
free transportation and paid really well
Cons
no commission
Great job
Fundraising Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2014
Public Outreach overall was a great experience, there is much to learn from the job. However it becomes a little life consuming. All in all the culture and environment of the coworkers is wonderful.
Productive and very close to my heart
FUNDRAISER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 27, 2014
I enjoyed PO fundraising for the fact that I am a strong believer in helping one another. Even though the office is no longer on Lewis Street in Boston, I can still remember the smell and the look on everyone's faces as they were scrambling to stay organized and get prepped to meet up at each site. I'm a big people's person and l really enjoyed getting to know people on a daily basis and sharing this enjoyment with the company. I have made lifelong friends in and outside the company just by being myself and earning trust from complete strangers to donate to good causes. The best part was they are a non-profit so all the proceeds go exactly where they told us they would go and it made me feel proud every single day I worked knowing that I was helping people help each other and that's what always kept me motivated.
Pros
group lunches, new friends, helped me build my confidence to speak to anyone and start a conversation
Cons
standing outside all day in all of New Englands beautiful bi-polar weather conditions
Great work enviorment with awsome teammates
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  237 West 35th Street New York, NYOctober 27, 2014
A typical day at work was fundraising on the streets by talking to everyone that passed by and getting them to donate monthly for a great cause. I learned how to build great rapport with everyone I meet. I learned how to manage and train individuals and teams.
This management was one of the best i've ever had the pleasure of working with. My co-workers were great, kind, and fun people to work with. The hardest part of the Job was standing out in the cold all day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was engaging the public.
Pros
Good work, great team and management, and good pay
Cons
Your outside no matter what the whether conditions are.
Awesome Job.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2014
It was a wonderful experience, I adored the people I worked with, even as briefly as I knew them. My only regret is that the job is so taxing and tends to burn you out due to the high level of energy required.
Cons
Hard to make the cut.
Very Productive and friendly work environment
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
Every work day always presented new opportunities.
One thing i liked about this organization was the ability to grow and expand your responsibilities and placement.
Co workers were friendly and always willing to help.
Very fun workplace. I learned many new things.
Street Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 30, 2014
This job allowed you to be yourself while making good money. I t was a very rewarding job.
Pros
Money, your doing a good deed for your community.
Cons
Having to be outside with hot or cold weather.
Great People, alot of Personal Growth and Lots of NetWorking.
Fundraiser/ Supervisor for Plan International (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2014
it was a great work environment, and my co workers are great. Theres alot of growing potential, i moved up pretty quick in the company. Alot of self developement and growth working for this company. The hardest part of the job is actually getting a high amount of people to sign up for a child sponsership which is a residual bill that they will have to pay every month, but at the same time you feel so complete and proud of doing somthing thats helping the world. You're actually making a change and it makes you feel invigerated inside.
Pros
Outside Freedom
Cons
Spend alot of money on food.
Productive Work Place
Outreach Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 13, 2014
Efficient methodology for outreach. However i felt could have benefited from more malleability. Their approach may have been a little bit too rigid for me.
Fun Environment!
Professional Fundraiser/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  hollywood, CAApril 25, 2014
If you love talking to people and raising money its an excellent job! The people are from all walks and the staff are amazing! Hardest part of the job is if your not good at convincing people to sign up your expendable. They rate you on your consistency as if you work on commision but no matter how much money you raise you never get any extra in your paycheck. You can work twice as hard and the only benefit is favoritism. Best part is making people smile worst part is the management.
Pros
Fun staff
Cons
short breaks, favoritism, no commision, easily expendable
Official response from Public Outreach
May 20, 2014

We truly appreciate all the hard work that you put into this job. It isn't the easiest thing standing out with the public looking for those who want to get involved and make a positive impact. This job, just like any job, is performance based. We find our weekly fundraising targets very achievable, but if a bad week happens we give new targets and look to see improvement. We work with the willing and able to maximize their potential and when that happens, they are compensated with frequent wages increases, benefits, travel opportunities and leadership advancement.

Great
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 18, 2014
It was a great company to work for.. lots of fun. I just wasn't cut out for the job...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7