Public Storage Employee Reviews in United States

Rapid work pace, always something to do.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 15, 2016
You constantly have something to be working on, it is partly because we do not have enough staffing to cover our larger stores well. You will learn a lot about renting storage spaces, and your customers as you are helping them with a big change in their life. Moving is very rarely fun and can be very stressful for your customers. District management is typically very good. They are strangled by upper management and corporate policy. Most of the people you work with are decent people but there only to collect a paycheck. Dealing with the constant stream of upset customers due to rent raises. You'll meet some great people along the way.
Pros
For a retail based position you have great hours.
Cons
Never enough staffing, Upper management is terrible
One of the top within their industry
Relief Property Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2016
The organization definitely gave me the freedom to manage and build my managerial skills, as upper management is barely present and are sometimes hard to contact. I felt safe in all of the locations that I worked in. There are very few opportunities to advance within this organization and that is why I didn't consider this a career option. There were not many company events within the districts that you worked and therefore the disconnect from other employees is very real.
Leasing storage units, working independantly
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 16, 2016
This position taught me to set goals and about time management. I learned a lot about managing an office at this position. The hardest part of the job was having to tell a customer their storage unit was going to go to auction and I could not help them save it. I enjoyed being able to help the customers with their storage needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the freedom of setting my own workday schedule and what I needed to accomplish that day.
Pros
Making my own workday goals, working independantly, good benefits
Cons
Alot of outside property work
Great Job
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 29, 2015
I loved working for PS. hours were 9:30am-6pm (weekdays) and 9:30-5:00pm (weekends). You are staffed alone or with another person and running a rental facility. It is very hands on, lots of indoor office work, collection calling, executing rental agreements, and cleaning rental units outside. My particular District Manager was amazing. I cannot speak for other DM's in the other Charlotte divisions. You accumulate PTO every day you work and the benefits are pretty good as well. There is really no room for advancement after becoming a Property Manager. You come hired as a relief manager and become a property manager as needed. Becoming a PM is not guaranteed. However, the job security is amazing. I love this job. Pretty good pay, raises every 6 months. No complaints here. On a busy day or during "move in season" it can get very overwhelming if you're working a property alone. You also have to be a great upseller.
Pros
Good pay, pay raises every 6 months, jour lunches, caring management, team enviornment
Cons
Low level job with no room for growth or advancement
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 19, 2015
This is a great starter job for someone just out of high school taking a break from forwarding their education or someone who seeks nothing more than a "job". This company provides no room for growth, with monotonous duties that leave no rewards, no room for advancement, Always "watched" by management and secret shoppers for mistakes, but never praised for jobs well done. Great start out job but after a few months you will be more than ready to leave.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
No team work and mystery shoppers
Easy Going workplace that has great operating hours
Relief Field Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 7, 2016
You typically work by yourself, so you must be self motivated.
Managing your time is essential to being successful as a property manager.

Management is typically hands off and at times you do work with another manager when running the property.
Pros
Laid back and can be fun.
Cons
Not being able to advance past the property level career wise.
Productive, Self taught enviorment
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Gardena, CAJuly 20, 2016
working at Public Storage I have learned to communicate with customers well. This job is allows you to problem solve on your own since our District Manager office is located elsewhere. On a typical day in the office we make an average of 50+ calls that include collection, welcome, and reservation calls. We renta units and ensure our customer service is always 5 stars! The hardest part of the job although not impossible is time management making sure all job duties are done within that day. Public Storage is a great place to learn all trades of customer service from collection calling to problem solving to training new employees and meeting goals.
Pros
stable hours and benefits
Cons
not enough room to grow and compensation
Opinion
PROPERTY RELIEF MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 17, 2016
A typical day at work includes cash handling, renting spaces, doing deposits, taking trash out, cleaning, doing lock checks, reading emails, coutesy calls, as well as confirming rentals.

I learned how to rent a space.

management wasnt the best. they avoided the statement if you had anything to talk to them about. for example, the kitchen had mold everywhere pretty much, i asked her about it and she basically avoided giving me an answer. she also would randomly decide to only give me one day a week off, and she'd switch it up last minute.

My coworkers were all lazy (aside from maybe 2), I end up having to do my job as well as others.

The hardest part of the job is the hazzard it is to my health ( highly allergect to mold)

The only thing i enjoy about this job is that i get to meet new people daily.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
they dont pay enough for the stress they put you under or the amount of work you have to do.
Don't do it!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Trinity, FLJune 13, 2016
If you have never worked for a publically held company before you will be sadly disappointed upon your arrival. Low pay,(after 2 and a half years and 3 raises I was still making less than 10 bucks an hour), ever changing schedules, and sophomoric policies. Management constantly slapping your hands and setting unrealistic "goals" You'll feel like the proverbial monkey trying to pick up the hot rock. Don't plan on any advancement because there is none. Average job life expectancy is about 2-3 years and the company seems fine with that. Even.the positive reviews are from ex-employees. Doesn't that tell you all you need to know. Would NEVER go back there.

Go to BK, Arby's, Mickey D's or any of the others. Pay is very similar and at least you can advance.
Pros
Good co-workers. My first DM was great.
Cons
Pay or the lack of it, ridiculous policies, secret shoppers, role play, unrealistic expectations and the list goes on.
I love it! :)
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Parma, OHJuly 5, 2016
I absolutely love my job. I am a current employee and have been with the company for 6 months now. Coworkers are very helpful. Upper management like my District Manager are awesome.

You rent units, take payments, upsell merch, make delinquency calls, bank runs, and have alot of interaction with customers. There's alot of customer service that we give our customers.

Like any job, dealing with the public isn't always the greatest, but you can't let one not so nice person ruin it for the other 300 nice customers.

I can't say enough how much I like my job. I would recommend to work for this company as long as you are reliable, honest, dependable, and efficient with your time while working.
Pros
401k, steady hours, set schedule

Want to know more about Public Storage?

Ask a question
Don't do it!!
Contract Administrator/Real Estate Department (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 22, 2015
The most unprofessional environment in which I've EVER worked. Management is so far removed from the culture of employees within respective groups. The entire corporation is technologically illiterate.

One employee "runs" the department and has completely snowed management, external and internal customers alike. I was hired, trained and acquired processes quickly and well. So well that not only was I directed to "slow down", that a multitude of gross errors by the other "one employee" in the department were brought to light, which created a lot of clean-up, excuses, and blatant lies from this other "one employee." I received praise from external and internal customers for expediency, attention to detail, and respecting the call for urgency of turnover. Management also praised my performance.

When I made the request to management that others in the department speak English when in the department, (especially knowing much of the conversation surrounded derogatory comments about management and fellow coworkers) I was removed from my position the following day.
Public Storage Day
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY/Queens,NYJune 23, 2016
The typical public storage is all about being able to make connections with customers so that we try to meet their every need during their moving or business storage needs. Also making sure that the company is making awesome amount of sales and providing again 5 star service whether its in the the direct office and or over the phone, Also making sure the buildings are safe and clean to keep customers content during their rental process at our company.
Pros
Being able to communicate with customers on a personal level, Hearing them out and also having a awesome team to work with.
Cons
Con of the job is there are so many jobs that are done and not constipated, for where other storage company's do
This company sucks to work for!
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 1, 2016
For all the stuff you have to put up with there, pay is horrible especially living in Los Angeles, hard to make ends meet. They are quick to acknowledge your awesome sales you've made, but quick to fire when you don't continue the same...

I would be better at sales if there product wasn't junk, we had so many complaints about our locks and products and you have to sell insurance too?? If I wanted to sell insurance, I would've applied for an insurance company and at least get a better pay out of it.

Research how much revenue this company makes, and yet they pay their employees junk, I rather work at In N Out, they make a little bit more...

It's a great job if you are in dire need of one, but don't stay too long, they will suck the life out of you and you just wake up every morning feeling afraid that you might lose your job if you don't meet your sales goal.
Pros
The people there are fun to work with, and interesting customers
Cons
Too many to list!
dont work with public storage
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  North Palm Beach, FLFebruary 4, 2016
this is the worse company i have ever work for, they donĀ“t pay their worker any money,pile on a lot of work and only give a raise a 22 cent per year
Pros
bad company
Cons
bad company
Not a good place for advancement/growth
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 8, 2015
Management is almost abysmal besides the required "scripts" that all employees must learn. Advancement is nonexistent, do not expect pay raises or even COMMISSION for the merchandise sales/quotas they expect from you. You must be able to work alone and you must be able to multi-task and do all the required harassment calls PS wants you to do. Co-workers are hardly there with you, you work alone unless you're at a big property. The most enjoyable part of the job is the schedule stability, you work at 9:30 and come home at 6.
Horrible
KTP/ A Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Suitland, MDJune 4, 2016
I took this job back in 2008 because I had a new baby and needed a job. When I first started it was great! All the employees were like family to me. I also liked the business hour schedule and even though I had to work Sundays it was only 10-2. As time went on I got promoted from relief manager to property manager. The dynamic changed when they decided to make the company more about sales and less about the employes. They did away with our bonus system, our Christmas parties, the raises everything by the time I left a little more than 2 years ago. I hated my job. I hated waking up to go to work. They completely exhaust you. Take everything you have in you and the fire you or force you to quit when you don't make good numbers. The only way to stay around is to be a snitch or brown noser and that is not me. I made it all the way to KTP and a A Property Manager and my pay was so low I still had to have State Issued insurance. This place needs a complete face lift. All they care about is the share holders and the bottom line.
Pros
Loved my Co-workers
Cons
Everything else!!!
Self working workplace
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 18, 2016
A typical day at work would have been to come in and open the property and print out all the reports. Start the day off by planning what needs to be done and doing a lock check. I learned a lot about Florida state statues when renting a unit with a company. Management was very knowledgeable. Co workers were very helpful and just a phone call away. Hardest part of the job was being alone at a property when multiple rentals occurred. The most enjoyable part was being able to work at your own pace and having a typical work schedule.
Pros
Full time
Cons
Pay
My district has an excellent staff!!
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 23, 2016
My day typically consisted in the assisting of people who were in need of a storage facility as well as assisting them in doing so at a price which would meet their needs as often they were in dire situations personally of financially. I was afforded numerous learning opportunities during my time at Public Storage. These learning experiences ranged from working with low income and at risk situations, renting to outside businesses in need of storage services, as well as other long and short storage needs. I am also responsible for minor property repairs and maintaining the appropriate aesthetic appearance of numerous company sites. My duties included the training of new staff, interfacing with multiple sites across multiple districts, as well as the daily collection, accounting, documentation, and deposit of currency. The most rewarding duty of my job was the assistance of tenants in unfavorable situations to take the first steps in rebuilding their life.
Pros
Friendly and skilled co-workers.
Cons
Occasionally hostile working environment.
Corrupt Company
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJuly 27, 2016
Offers Medical, 401K and on site apartment. Daily duties are cleaning up feces, dealing with homeless drug addicts and irate customers. No job safety or security. Most of management are incompetent and employees are extremely caddy. Hours and benefits are great and you have the option to work outside in the sunshine. Overall, you will be expected to lie to customers and rip them off instead of providing excellent customer service.
Pros
Benefits, hours, working independently
Cons
Run down properties, scripts, no room to advance
Not a career company
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 19, 2016
Selling is a big aspect of the job, you have to sell units and merchandise. Hours are good you can only get 39-38 hours a week in at 9:30 out by 6pm weekdays, 5pm weekends, they start you at $10 per hours. This is a good stepping point job to a better one but has no room for advancement. The highest a field employee is allowed to go is an A Property Manager and KTP(key training professional) They do not promote field employees to district manager or higher. We do not get commission, and our bonuses are once a year if you get one, and are based on numbers/if the higher ups feel they like you. If you have a family it is hard to just work here, having an emergency or needing to take time off is like pulling teeth. Some many people leave you never have enough help. All they care about is if you sell a lock, insurance, merchandise at the time of the rental and if you get a review, which might I add people have lost there jobs over.
Pros
consistent hours
Cons
no more advancement past a certain point

2.8