Public Storage Employee Reviews

Public Storage
WC Coordinator/Medical Only Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 21, 2017
Public Storage built its first self-storage facility in 1972. Today it operates thousands of unique and diverse company-owned locations in the United States and Europe, totaling more than 142 million net rentable square feet of real estate. Its PS Business Parks interest adds another 28 million(approx.) rentable square feet of commercial and industrial space. Based on number of tenants, Public Storage is among the largest landlords in the world.
Given its long and successful history, its presence in major markets, its customer focus and its leadership position in the self-storage industry, Public Storage is a respected and trusted operator of self-storage facilities.
Publix review
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLJuly 20, 2017
Well paying job with long lasting hours. You work about 6 to 10 hours at the most everyday of the week, usually from Monday through Friday. The only thing is the work isn't easy.
Not the most ethical Company
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 20, 2017
Public Storage is a decent place to build your resume and gain transferable skills. Other than that, after you become a property manager there is no way to advance in the company. They tell you directly that they only hire outside the company for corporate positions. Out of the many storage facilities Public Storage is one of the least paying. One of the things I didn't like the most is they tell you it's not a sales job however that's all you doing is selling. Also the lack of customer service throughout the company is sad.
Pros
Daytime working hours
Cons
Bad pay, no advancement
always add extra responsibilities, residential managers make less than minimum wage
Resident Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 17, 2017
Horrible place to work...no advancement no job security corporate is only concerned with numbers. Dont perform necessary repairs needed to maintain property or apartment. Live on, patio door had no lock the entire year and a half I lived there.
busy
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDJuly 16, 2017
i was always busy and I enjoyed that. the main reason for my departure is the pay. I liked the people I worked with but we all agree pay us !! Work enviorment was terrible.
It's an ok place to work. Pay and benefits not that great.
Release Manager (Current Employee) –  Chamblee, GAJuly 10, 2017
Management is not that great. A typical day can be very busy especially at the beginning of the month. You are expected to make a lot of phone calls to get customer to pay the storage bills or to try and rent units. You are also expected to sell moving supplies. The work environment can be tiresome. Walking around checking units, cleaning, units and just doing general inspections of property. I have encounter unwanted critters at times. The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with people. I have gotten to meet some very interesting people, to include NBA player.
Pros
Property does have rental property if you are lucky enough to get one
Cons
No free lunches and raises you can forget
keep in mind, duties are not seasonal
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAJuly 10, 2017
for less than $13.00/hr you practically run an entire property either by yourself or with 1-2 other people. renting out units, going though tons of paperwork, makng dozens of calls a week, cleaning out garbage people leave behind, walking the property completely at least once a day. taking care of transactions and deposits, going to the bank every day, and dont get me started on spiders. It takes leaps and bounds for things to get fixed around the property. Once people were breaking into cars/units while I was on shift, I knew I'd had enough
Pros
consistent hours
Cons
weather, low pay for level of responsibility
Decent I guess
Relief Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 10, 2017
Very boring so be prepared to keep yourself busy. You will make daily phone calls and walk the property at least 3-5 times a day. But relax most properties have a golf cart so the "walk" is mobile.
Pros
Quiet
Cons
Boring
inside Sales
Inside Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 8, 2017
The stress associated with this inside sales job is enough to drive anyone insane. There is intense pressure to make a sale that I saw many cases of False Sales just to make their stats look good.
I also see a lot of redundant unnecessary business being done.

There has also been a lot of managemt turnover which speaks volume about the company.
A Typical Day
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 7, 2017
A typical day at Public Storage can change week to week. The beginning of the month is payments and the rest is trying to get payments, renting units, making sure property has curb appeal, general maintenance, answering phone and just giving the best customer service
Before you apply or rent a unit
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 6, 2017
Get on Yelp Google Reviews at the location you wish to inquire about and see what past and current customers have to say about the management, the facility, the rates, and the whatever else customers had to say about their experience
Overall great, family oriented work place.
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLJuly 5, 2017
Love the work environment, relaxing and great learning place. family environment. Awesome service, and excellent prices. Friendly all around smiling co workers.
n/a
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 2, 2017
it was a pleasure working for this company. i learned a lot. staff and management is amazing. if it wasn't for me relocating i would love to still be working for this company.
Great customers
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland ORJuly 2, 2017
No room for growth. Less and less time given in a day to devote to actual customer service. I am required to seek out the needs of my customers with what they are storing and get the best storage unit for the best price for them and sell them supplies to meet their needs. This is the part of my job that is wonderful. I am required to make collection calls regarding unpaid rents to many many customers, again not a problem. I am required to do security checks on the grounds as well as clean and maintain empty units and remove rubbish people leave behind, while maintaining the office and a smile. This is not always very easy. 99% of my customers are my very favorite part of the job. I also assist via phone, coworkers. I am safety captain for 11 stores and supply captain as well.
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2017
I applied to Public Storage and within two weeks I got a call back ever since I got this Job I have been happy and felt appreciated. I always learn something new each and every day at Public Storage also I have a great District Manager.
Care-less
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 1, 2017
Where to begin? The job is numbers and metrics driven, the work environment at my location is good, (I'm lucky to work with some great people.) but the pay is laughable at best. The numbers for sales are not realistic. By the time the other options to secure your belongings have been addressed there isn't much money for boxes. I have had customer's put items back by the end of the rental process. In regards to pay, we are drawing up legal documents/contracts and serve as witnesses, we manage the customer's accounts with due diligence when it comes to payments, not to mention the building maintenance to help things run smoothly . These types of jobs, drawing up contracts, dealing with personal information, and collections all separately would offer more money on the hour, but put all these things together and the pay is dismal. I get the sense that this company looks at it's employees as expenses instead of assets. They spend time and money training employees only to loose many within 6 months due to the high demands and the constant conflict that the company creates with it's promotions. Without going into details, most customers are hostile or feel taken advantage of by the lack of information and specifics that are NOT given to them upon making a reservation. With our new system things have gotten worse since little is guaranteed upon making a reservation. Certain requirements are only presented close to the end of the rental process which many customers feel is misleading. I agree, if we are going to require something of someone we should tell them immediately either through  more... the phone call with call center or stated clearly in the pricing summary in the email with online reservations. I personally have been pressured to come to work when I have been ill. I have had difficulty taking my earned vacation time, but that is on a local level with my DM. We are so short staffed that we have to bring in people from other districts to fill in. We are expected to produce numbers so that the DM's can get their bonuses, while our own bonus system has been taken away. There is not much incentive to produce numbers and nothing to heighten morale. The properties could use updating with decent security cameras in more places than the office or a single gate. Also the fact that the company doesn't promote from within only goes to show that they aren't interested in improving the customer experience, or have any interest in the people who are the face of the company for the customer everyday. I would not recommend this company to anyone.  less
Pros
Full time, Great co-workers, Management experience.
Cons
The company, Pay, Culture.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 30, 2017
Daily tasks include opening 930am, following up with customers on reservations, report print outs and bank deposit. Throughout the day you have customers coming in to make payments, asking for information on units , rentals and customers purchasing merchandise. We have a set schedule for delinquent calls that must be followed as well as the property walk through to ensure every unit is properly secured and all is well and maintaining the property office and bathroom clean. At the end of the day we count the money for the deposit the next day, and print out the end of day reports, clock out and secure office.
Productive and Good work atmosphere
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 28, 2017
The job is very easy and it can be fast paced as well as slow paced. Its a good work environment and everyone is friendly. You learn new stuff everyday at public storage.
Pros
Great place
Decent enough
Resident Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAJune 27, 2017
PS has been a decent enough place to work. As a Resident Property Manager, they pay rent, water, sewage, garbage and electricity. As well as pay you a salary. The medical benefits are decent enough, expensive though. They have no bonus structure anymore. They don't like to repair issues on the properties until they become a major issue or a necessity. All in all I have enjoyed my time with Public Storage, but it is time for me to move on.
Fast Paced, Sales and Reviews driven
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 26, 2017
Public Storage has a great training program to start you with. You start with 14 days of one on one training with experienced (10+ years) employees. As soon as you are out of training, you're on your own. You work properties with as many as 700 units, not only assisting customers but taking care of any and all property issues. If there is an issue that requires a vendor, it can take months to get fixed. I definitely can say I've learned a lot from this company such as time management, excellent customer service skills, a few handyman skills and management skills overall. Definitely a plus if you like working independently, but this is a very fast paced environment. You'll need to solicit Google reviews from your customers, as well as be sure that you sell merchandise to all rentals.There is no commission or incentive program, though their boxes are pretty overpriced to begin with. Overall I did not approve of some of the policies the company had and was left with no choice, but to leave.
Pros
Independent work, good training
Cons
No Incentives, Not much room for growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6