Public Storage Employee Reviews in United States

Easy Job, No Growth, Decent Hours, Working Weekends
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2016
I did not feel that the company was concerned with it's employee's safety. Most of the time you will be working alone in the office and you are required to privately show the properties and units to customers at anytime during office hours. You will be expected to walk through basically an empty facility either indoor or outdoor despite the weather conditions and time of day. (Typically open 9:30-6) The hours aren't that bad but you will NOT have any weekends off and they only are closed Thanksgiving, New Years, and Christmas Day, expect to be working a FULL day any other holiday. Even though you will be managing an office, you will have 'retail' based days, meaning you'll always work the same hours, but never the same days. The pay is not sufficient in comparison to competing markets (lowest paying storage company) and they require more of their employees as well, even if they're paying less. They also have sales expectations and quotas they require to be met by their employees and do NOT offer any type of commission for their sales. They have a lot of expectations for how little they pay. There is no room for growth, they do NOT promote within. They expect their employees running the office to clean storage units and any mess that is left on the property, bulky furniture included.
Pros
Working Independently
Cons
Safety Risks, Work Holidays, Working Weekends, Low Pay, No Promotions, No Commission
Not Fun To Work For
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 11, 2016
Have the best training in the industries but truly do not know the correct way to treat their employees. When you live onsite you can't get away from your job!!
Pros
Lived on property free
Cons
Unable to take vacation, due to limited staff
zero life work balance. management unwilling to acknowledge success
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 9, 2016
As a former property manager, sacrificing life and family was a part of the job. Totally unwilling to adjust scheduling. However I was always expected to cover other employees who were lackluster to say the least.

If you don't have a family, it's a great job. But if you want to advance, forget it. They don't promote from within. .....ever.
Pros
customers who were loyal to my business
Cons
poor scheduling horrible management
productively work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 9, 2016
I learned management skills customer service skills hardest pat of the job is not feeling challenged enough, I greatly enjoyed the customers that i got to know.
worst job I ever had!
Property Manager/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 7, 2016
This company says they care... They left a few words out...they care only about money and sales. They lure you in with false promises of bonuses and job security. Don't believe it!
Pros
a paycheck, day shift.
Cons
30 min lunch, harrasment by upper management, favorite employees are allowed to steal, lie, cheat and have sec
Job was ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAApril 4, 2016
Help customers rent a storage unit.
I learned how to Help customers with what they were looking fore.
Management was ok.
Co-workers were cool.
Job was easy.
Call center enviroment
Reservation Agent/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMarch 24, 2016
It is all about the numbers. They are looking for robots on the phone. They will get upset if you vary from the script in anyway. Was a basic 9-5 job to pay bills, no room for improvement
One of the top within their industry
Relief Property Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2016
The organization definitely gave me the freedom to manage and build my managerial skills, as upper management is barely present and are sometimes hard to contact. I felt safe in all of the locations that I worked in. There are very few opportunities to advance within this organization and that is why I didn't consider this a career option. There were not many company events within the districts that you worked and therefore the disconnect from other employees is very real.
average company
Public Storage Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 22, 2016
fun place to work and deal with the public, and driving sales. all of the work that is required to do is way too much to manage and for a mere $10 an hr.
Pros
get to run a store by yourself
Cons
having to push hard with the scripts
Good co-workers
RELIEF MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 18, 2016
Typical day at work consisted of being outside or in the office taking care of sales. I learned about leasing. Management was horrible too much favoritism. Co-workers were nice. Hardest part of the job was dealing with stupidity and gossip. I enjoy the work schedule.
Pros
Work Schedule
Cons
Workload/Management

Want to know more about Public Storage?

Ask a question
N/a
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 11, 2016
It was fun and I liked it, what I didn't like was that you have to drive so far for training. I applied to work on Georgetown. They never have enough employees to work where their suppose to and want u to go work all over the city which is what I didn't sign up for.
Great Place to Start
Property Manager/District Safety Captain (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NY 11714March 5, 2016
Love my District Manager and the environment I just wish there was more room for advancement in the company. Unfortunately if you start as a Relief Manager the highest you can go is Key Training Professional or Property Manager. They don't promote for higher positions from within.
productive and fun great for developing managers.
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAMarch 2, 2016
typical work day included opening store checking voicemails, answering phone, and web inquiries. As a site manager we also had to take care of the auditing, setting goals, and dealing with collections, and selling of units with past due accounts.
Terrible
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 1, 2016
never in my life have I ever worked for a company with such an un realistic Job description. These people literally want you to manage a property all by yourself on most days for terrible pay. Between having to clean and weed the property constantly you also have to deal with very rude customers there is no room to grow in this company at all !! and they will work you like a horse ! this job is not even worth the free apartment which isn't actually free so don't believe that mess for a second. STAY AWAY !!!!
Pros
Cons
everything
Do Not Waste Your Time Appling
Storage Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 18, 2016
I have applied for work with this company every year I see their ad. I have e-mailed them several times. Can not get a response from anyone. Not even the corporate office. If they treat me like this now, I could not imagine what it would be like to work for them.
Pros
THERE IS NONE
Cons
Company has no respect for people and their time. No Communication
Leasing storage units, working independantly
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 16, 2016
This position taught me to set goals and about time management. I learned a lot about managing an office at this position. The hardest part of the job was having to tell a customer their storage unit was going to go to auction and I could not help them save it. I enjoyed being able to help the customers with their storage needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the freedom of setting my own workday schedule and what I needed to accomplish that day.
Pros
Making my own workday goals, working independantly, good benefits
Cons
Alot of outside property work
Rapid work pace, always something to do.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 15, 2016
You constantly have something to be working on, it is partly because we do not have enough staffing to cover our larger stores well. You will learn a lot about renting storage spaces, and your customers as you are helping them with a big change in their life. Moving is very rarely fun and can be very stressful for your customers. District management is typically very good. They are strangled by upper management and corporate policy. Most of the people you work with are decent people but there only to collect a paycheck. Dealing with the constant stream of upset customers due to rent raises. You'll meet some great people along the way.
Pros
For a retail based position you have great hours.
Cons
Never enough staffing, Upper management is terrible
lane bryant
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 10, 2016
most stores are closing
basic retail stuff
promote credit card sign ups
help customers understand how to best use coupons available
build their wardrobes
Independent
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Working alone was nice at times. Not having to worry about other people watch your every move. District management wasn't the best. When working with others was nice cause u have extra coverage when you need to work on other things.
dont work with public storage
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  North Palm Beach, FLFebruary 4, 2016
this is the worse company i have ever work for, they donĀ“t pay their worker any money,pile on a lot of work and only give a raise a 22 cent per year
Pros
bad company
Cons
bad company