Public Storage Employee Reviews

Good personal worklife
Relief Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2017
Job is fantastic when it comes to being trusted to run and office all by yourself so that you can be your own boss. Good hours for those juggling their personal life with work.
Good work not for long term
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2017
Steady job for a while. Until company decided to go from a more customer service oriented job into a more retail based company. Pay remained low for all the task performed by "managers" From collecting rent, renting units, selling overpriced merchandise, janitorial duties collection calls, customer service, etc. You are punished for not meeting sales goals even threaten with job loss while DM (District Managers) get a cut from the sales. You get nothing no sales commission or even a bonus at the end of the year. Co workers are friendly in the positive side. Over worked to say the least. You have to deal with rude customers most of the time. Some situations where out of the store "manager's" hand. Broken in units due to lack of security. Company was more focused on "Curb Appeal" then updating and investments in older stores. I had to run a store all by myself and yet my title did not say store "Manager" I was a Relief Manager. DM's do not invest enough time on each individual stores. Some DM's are ill equipped for the position. Unreachable. Communication is low. You are left to fend for yourself most of the week. Some would not spend time with you to talk over company procedures. Almost forgot you are given scripts so you loose all human or personal touch with customers. No creative input or output whatsoever. There are no more advancements besides from Relief Manager to Store Manager. Company does not promote from within. They keep field operations separate from corporate operations. They require you to have a bachelors degree to apply for the DM position, also quit  more... your current position in the field and reapply for the new position with no guarantee.  less
Pros
Steady work, no night time work
Cons
Low pay, high work load, no sales commission
Monthly Schedule
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2017
The month is planned out. From collection calls to auction days. Very little to no advancement passed property manager. Customers can be stressful do to their situations
Pros
8 hr shift
Cons
Working on weekends
Fun enviroment loved Managers
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 26, 2017
I really enjoyed the job it was a great learning experienjce and Managers really cared about overall bettering of stores.I loved being able to come in and pick up where just I had left off there were alot of great customers so the day went by fast there is also room to grow within the company and we also got to work at our own speed.
Pros
Great Managment
Cons
Few days off
No Opportunity for Growth
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 26, 2017
Working for Public Storage requires physical labor as well as a tolerance for a non-progressive environment. There's no growth opportunities and no real long term career goals below the District Management position.
Pros
Honest work
Cons
No career growth opportunities
For retail work, a good place to be
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2017
Provides a variety of work demanding a variety of skills. Great opportunity to enhance customer relations skills. No opportunity for advancement beyond becoming a trainer, which comprises less than 5% of the employee base.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
No promotion opportunities
Great place to start and then advance to Bigger and Better Opportunities
Multi Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDApril 24, 2017
Managed day to day operations of multi million dollar operations including but not limited to securing rentals, monthly payments, and merchandise in accordance with directions from Corporate Office.
Pros
Corporate Housing
Cons
No upper Level advancement
Nice company to work for
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYApril 23, 2017
It's a nice company to work for. Excelled at providing good customer service towards all customers or guests that I came in contact with. The management was good and they were helpful and knowledgable.
They supply an apartment at most of their properties, so no commute to work problems
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSApril 21, 2017
Your day consists of general office work and property upkeep. You are in complete control. The office works consists of renting units, meeting customer needs, making daily bank deposits, going to the post office as needed, general office work, taking phone calls, making delinquent calls, and selling merchandise. Outside work includes several lock checks per shift, cleaning vacant units and keeping the property clean.
Pros
You are on your own most of the time.
Cons
Interruptions from tenants after hours
So much work and so little pay
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIApril 21, 2017
You start making $9.50/hr. WOW!!! $9.50/hr?????? Really??? How the heck can you survive on $9.50/hr??? No room for advancement, The farthest you will move up in this company is a Property Manager, they make a terrible .50 cents more an hour.
Pros
Cons
everything
good starter job, transition job or need a place to live with utilities included
n/a (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 19, 2017
They have flexible hours and one shift 9:30am-6pm M-F, 9:30am -5pm sat-sun. However there is not enough pay for the work load and raises are 2% or less even if your one of the best on all metrics. The work load always increases but there is no additional compensation with the increase in your day to day work load
Pros
flexible hours, good investment
Cons
dont pay enough, no advancement with in company
Fun place to work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJApril 19, 2017
Public Storage LLC, is my first time working for storage industry, this company has teach me a lot what storage is all about and also helped me understanding when customer have question for what they need stored there storage needs.
Pros
Cons
Regular policy
Good place to work!
Rental Agent (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 19, 2017
PS has a great comprehensive training program to get you up to speed with their system. The management was great and very caring of their employees (Eden Prairie, MN). A day would start with opening the store, checking reservations, and doing a "lock check" in which one would walk and/or drive the golf cart and check the locks on the rental units. The day would continue with showing and renting units to customers. Then, an afternoon inventory/lock check before closing the store.
Pros
Great hours 8am-6pm with 2 days off. Lots of outdoor time.
Cons
Pay isn't the highest, but it is well above minimum wage. (Also, a good point!)
Active place to work
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 19, 2017
I do not like working at Public storage, only for the fact that I am a helper and I don't feel like I help people at this job a lot. Its sad when people call and say they can't pay there bill and its up for auction. There's nothing I could do about it. Now There are good times when I can help a customer by telling them if the down size and transfer before the month is up, the credit they have on the lager unit will transfer as well.. I like how this job is fast pace. time go very fast. I've learn a lot working here. One is organizing my time. task that I have to do through out the day and take care of customers. Also take care of unexpected situations. Dealing with difficult customers and staying polite with a smile on my face. Best of all they leave with a smile as well. The work environment is ok. The staff is very friendly and encouraging. As I said before I'm a helper I like to help others.
Pros
good full time hours 9:30am to 6pm or 9:30am to 5pm also Christmas thanksgiving and New Years off.
Cons
Too stressful and also overwhelming
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2017
Dealing with different customers different attitudes
Issues with storage units as far as water damage break in and being on secured sometimes can get overwhelming
Pros
Lunch break was
Cons
Lunch break was too short but you get to sit and rest sometimes when you're not so busy
Great
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 13, 2017
Great company to work for. Had amazing benefits. I learned a lot from this job. Corporate is great. Smooth running company. Pay is fair for the task. .
Great place for independent types.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAApril 12, 2017
You basically run your own business. Rent units, confirmation calls, collection calls, collect rent, clean property and report maintenance needs.

If you're lazy and not an independent worker don't bother applying. You wont fit it. With that said, its a lot of work and responsibility for little pay. The starting pay was lowered from $12.50/hr to $11.50 and some cities only pay $10.50.
Pros
Easy schedule, no nights, great managment.
Cons
Low pay and huge responsibility.
Lots of independence and freedom
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 12, 2017
Overall, the company gives it's employees lots of freedom and independence; however the environment can be very sales driven and filled with pressure to meet certain goals.
Office job, customer skills required
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Raytown, MO 64138April 11, 2017
This job is not hard if you follow the rules and make your goals at the beginning of the month. The manager I had wasn't able to stay on top of their duties and we had another district manager step in to help teach us what to do. The worst part of the job is working along in a building without any security measures if there is a violent customer. The best part about the job is you get to know everyone who comes in so its easy to handle new tenants.
Pros
always working 8 hours a day
Cons
working alone on a big location
I love my company
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 10, 2017
I love working for Public Storage. You never know what is going to happen from day to day. Some days are fast paced. Sometimes you are always helping a customer. Then there are days that you don't see anyone. There are good plans in place to manage the office and property. There is a wonderful support system as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6