Public Storage

Public Storage Employer Reviews

Overall good company.
Property Manager (Current Employee), Middletown, NJFebruary 7, 2014
Good company to work for with plenty of independence. Fixed hours and simple corporate structure. Good benefits.
Too much expectation for low paying job!
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: work independent.
Cons: ps give you a rise once a year by cents!
After being with PS for some years. I could not tolerate my supervisor rude comments during conference meeting who was disrespecting myself and co-works.
Poorly paid, no advancement
Property Manager (Former Employee), St Petersburg FloridaFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: steady schedule, assisting customers
Cons: no advancement, pay, limited
A normal day is taking payments and leasing storage units to reservations or walk in customers. One also has to maintain property, file paperwork, clean office, and the biggest part of the day is making phone calls.

I learned office management, leasing procedures, and social media.

Beyond the District Manager management is not good at all, they have – more... no idea what is truly going to drive the company,

You don't normally have co-workers just a relief manager. You are very isolated at this job.

The hardest part of the job is tenants, and the lack of ability to help them. You are called a property manager but you are more like a babysitter, you can't really do much but email the district manager. The pay doesn't add up to the amount of things thrown at a property manager. Finally to know that you have no where to grow after property manager kills a drive one may have unless you are retired and need a hobby.

The most enjoyable part of the job, would be assisting customers and working with the DM to improve on ideas to drive business. – less
I enjoyed working with customers and coworkers.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Great Neck, NYFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: friendly co workers, worked days, 2 days off a week, insurance and benifits.
Cons: constant changing of district managers. the dms were only in it for their bonus, then after 1 year most would leave., most had no sense of loyalty ( like the employees)
I really enjoyed helping customers determine what their storage needs were. I would walk them through the entire process, listening and going out of my way to help, Moving is very stressful and i wanted to lend a kind ear and make it as easy as possible. I would order merchandise, make collection calls, do light cleaning ( keep the place looking nice) – more... , Follow up on customers who were once interested, run reports etc. – less
Productive Workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bronx, New YorkFebruary 4, 2014
This is a very fast paced environment. I have learned how to assist many customers at 1 time. I have also learned many tasks to help reach a monthly goal. The management could be better. I loved all of my co-workers we were a family. The hardest part of the job is trying to please customers who do not want your help. The most enjoyable part of the job – more... is knowing at the end of the work day I have done my job properly and helped as many customers as I could. – less
Public Storage Property Manager
Property Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: 40 hours a week, office hours, potential to get an on site apartment (rare)
Cons: crummy pay and no advancement opportunity. revolving door district management.
For someone with no property management experience, Public Storage might be a valid place to begin a career. However, anyone with any experience should probably think twice. Public Storage will train you to manage a retail store and storage property on a very basic level. Most of the job is very basic and you will be doing a lot of collection calls, – more... customer service calls and sales calls. These calls will take up nearly a third of your time on some properties. My problem with Public Storage came from the fact that District Managers were very rarely (if ever) hired from within. That means that you will likely never, ever be anything than a very low payed store manager. So if you can work for less than ten dollars an hour for years on end, and have no previous management experience, then this could be the job for you. Otherwise you would do well to find other employment. – less
Horrible Pay and District Manager Plays Favorites
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 28, 2014
You MUST memorize 5,000 scripts for everything you do! District Manager plays favorites. Certain employees allowed to cuss other employees and leave work whenever they want! NOT a very good place to work, especially with the pay and you have to do everything!!
Dynamic, fast paced, facew to face contact with customers.
Property Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: receive 40 hours a week
Cons: short breaks
You solely work by yourself and youre your own manager. Have learned so many from the company about how to operate a business by yourself. Management is strict but they have policy's in place. It changes all the time.
Easy job to maintain
Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2014
Work is easy sometimes can get a little slow but there is always busy work good job to have while in school or first job ever. Have to learn scripts which is not difficult at all.
Productive and stable environment
RESIDENT PROPERTY MANAGER (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 22, 2014
My day to day routine very seldom changed. I managed and worked at the property 90% of the time by myself. I had plenty of time to coordinate my day and time wisely. The hardest part of the job was finding enough things to do to keep me busy throughout the day because I like to say I ran a very tight ship. The most enjoyable part of my day was satisfying – more... each and every customer that came into my property, because that is what is most important in any retail/customer service position. – less
There Are Better
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 20, 2014
rent units , show units, clean units, sign leasing agreements. go over in full detail.. be customer friendly
Enjoyable custoomers
Property Manager Relief (Former Employee), Oak Creek, WIJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: heavy storage door, out in the cold and working without equipment needed.
Great interaction with the customers

Prioritizing duties and Sales technics

Supportive training excellent trainer

Some awesome team player and helpers

Assisting the customers with out equipment needed which made it extremely hard to do the job, equipment not repaired.

Helping and assisting the customers
an easy job
Property Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2014
for the most part job is really easy from time to time it does get a little hectic
Sales
Property Manager (Former Employee), Rock Hill SCJanuary 13, 2014
renting units, selling moving supplies and cleaning units
Good, reliable, and steady job.
Relief Manager (Current Employee), Reno, NVJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: slow-paced (not too much customer interaction), indoor and outdoor job, reliable schedule, daytime only job, you are the manager.
Cons: outdoor procedures still take place in any and all weather conditions, the pay starts at $8.50/hr then goes up to only $9.00 after 6mo, then the raises are annual after that (usually about $0.15). dealing with auctions every month.
This job is pretty simple if you are a hard worker. It requires a few daily tasks for security purposes, and it's a great office job that does require some outside work. A typical day includes cleaning vacated spaces, renting storage units, taking payments, performing lock checks, making lease packets, and making calls to customers who haven't paid – more... their rent.
The hardest part of the job for me (at first) was making calls to delinquent customers, but I just had to learn to not take anything the customers were saying personally. It's a job, they're not actually criticizing you.
My favorite part of this job is that you have the flexibility to decide what you would like to do that day as long as it pertains the the job, whether it's cleaning the office or property, organizing paperwork, making phone calls to customers, or what have you.
In the Reno/Sparks area there are only up to two people working at a property any given day, so it's a nice, quiet job.
For this job, we are the management for the most part. There are the property and relief managers, then the district manager (our boss) who we see about once a week, usually less, but she is always willing to help if need-be, then there is the senior district manager, regional manager, and up from there, but we only see the managers above the district manager once every few months (if that), and they are all very helpful and friendly.
All-in-all, this is a pretty slow paced job, it's reliable, and the schedule is pretty flexible when you need to switch around your days. – less
Good job with not room to grow
Property Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: live on site
Cons: heavy lifting
The company has room to grow but the local manager informed me that in that area there was not advancement pass my position.
A good job for a laid back person, who doesn't seek any kind of job advancement.
Property Manager (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: pto, decent benefits, steady hours.
Cons: low pay, lack of any advancement.
Laid back job. No type of advancement. Low pay, compared to other companies in the same industry. They push you to sell, sell, sell, with some shady sales practices, that eventually will make you not want to sell for them. I could go on and on. The only other benefit may be the onsite apartment, but beware you may feel stuck, once you realize how much – more... cheaper it is than renting an apartment elsewhere. – less
good company
Property Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2014
good company to work for if you are interested in learning the self storage business
STAY AWAY FROM THIS JOB!!!
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Northridge, CAJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: short brakes, horrible customers
I hate this place, customers are such drama queens, certain co-workers are impossible to work with.
Fast-paced environment where no two days are exactly alike
Property Manager (Current Employee), Denver Colorado/Charlotte North CarolinaJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: this position allows for both inside and outside work.
Cons: limited posibility for advancement.
A typical day at Public Storage would consist of managing customers reservations, setting reservations and making updates as necessary. Renting spaces to include preparing leases and upselling services and merchandise. Checking the property for vacated units and maintenance needs. Making sure property is clean and customer ready. Managing payments, – more... petty cash and making bank deposits. Making calls to delinquent customers for collections purposes. Preparing delinquent units for auctions, meeting legal deadlines, conducting auctions and processing paperwork. Participating in customer service and safety training. Selling merchandise and maintaining inventory. Resolving customer complaints and issues. Additional duties: serving as District Safety Captain. – less