Public Storage Employee Reviews

Good environment to learn about prop management
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJune 21, 2016
Hours make juggling work and home life very easy. Co-works care and are welcoming. Only downside is some locations are much harder to work than others and you do jump around a lot when you start off.
Easy Job, No Growth, Decent Hours, Working Weekends
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2016
I did not feel that the company was concerned with it's employee's safety. Most of the time you will be working alone in the office and you are required to privately show the properties and units to customers at anytime during office hours. You will be expected to walk through basically an empty facility either indoor or outdoor despite the weather conditions and time of day. (Typically open 9:30-6) The hours aren't that bad but you will NOT have any weekends off and they only are closed Thanksgiving, New Years, and Christmas Day, expect to be working a FULL day any other holiday. Even though you will be managing an office, you will have 'retail' based days, meaning you'll always work the same hours, but never the same days. The pay is not sufficient in comparison to competing markets (lowest paying storage company) and they require more of their employees as well, even if they're paying less. They also have sales expectations and quotas they require to be met by their employees and do NOT offer any type of commission for their sales. They have a lot of expectations for how little they pay. There is no room for growth, they do NOT promote within. They expect their employees running the office to clean storage units and any mess that is left on the property, bulky furniture included.
Pros
Working Independently
Cons
Safety Risks, Work Holidays, Working Weekends, Low Pay, No Promotions, No Commission
Too many managers to answer to
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 12, 2013
My district manager was great. Then you had to be ready for visits by a senior district manager, regional manager or some other manager from the corporate office. You better know your scripts and be ready to role-play, even though most middle and upper management didn't know the scripts verbatim like we were required. My regional manager was a true narcissist. The senior district manager had no clue how to deal with employees. My DM was a great guy but you could tell his hands were tied when it came to making a decision. Looks like all issues have to be filtered through the regional manager and he was too busy looking at himself in a mirror to respond in a timely manner. They want you to keep your property clean but they're unwilling to spend any money to make it happen. They expect us to haul away abandoned goods to the dumpster even when we're single-covered. The pay is OK. The benefits suck. Not a great job if you have trouble memorizing scripts.
Pros
customers and fellow team members
Cons
management and advancement opportunities
Interesting divers personality traits.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 6, 2016
A typical day at work consists of a long check list of scripted activities. I learned to follow scripts for all types of scenarios and 90% of clients will buy after they have said NO five times.
Pros
Great hours
poorly managed company,
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 26, 2012
horrible middle management, they will fire you at will
you can achieve great results for the company and the District Manager will give you a poor or just ok personal revue as a reward. They will not support you if a customer lies or tries to scam the company on their one dollar for first mont promotion. If there is an employee who everyone who works there complains constantly about, they will not fire or get rid of that person and will continue to let poor employee cause problems, in other words- poor management. Low morale and no trust in the company by long time employees. You will be watched and you will be checked on by managers who you wil not respect or like and act like CIA agents. Long time loyal employees are told if they want a raise, they should work for another company.....
Pros
just above starvation
Cons
low pay, no overtime after 40 hours in a week, work weekends, no holiday pay if you are not scheduled, constant harassment about memorizing 15 pages of scripts to be memorized word by word, advancement very unlikely, retirement and health benefits are a joke
Great opportunity to grow your management style
DISTRICT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 3, 2015
Great opportunity to learn a new way to manage, lots of coaching, training, and one on one time with employees. Great work / life balance, with a fair opportunity for advancement and competition. You never have to worry about running out of things to do, which is fantastic, and the work day goes by quickly.
Pros
The compensation, work / life balance
Cons
Direct management leads with threats of termination
For such a large company it's not very good to work for.
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 29, 2014
Every day we deal with several different people. Most are good calm customers but every single day there is a few who are verbally abusive. As employees we have to put up with that and take the abuse. They say it's equal opportunity but the fact of the matter is I don't believe it is. When your car breathes it's last breath you have to run to get a new one but management has no consideration for your other living expenses. It basically comes down to either you get a car and lose your home or keep your home and lose your job. However, there are other people who are employed that get to live on property with the property manager and own no vehicle. They have been like that for over 5 years and not one word is said to them about not owning a vehicle. The healthcare options offered with the company are ok but you get paid so low for what you have to do and put up with that it is a hit to your wallet. The best part of the job is the people you work closely with. Those who go through the struggle with you and always stand behind you.
Pros
9:30-6 work schedules, Benefits, PTO starting from day 1
Cons
Short lunch breaks, Large work load little pay, no job advancement
Easy Going workplace that has great operating hours
Relief Field Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 7, 2016
You typically work by yourself, so you must be self motivated.
Managing your time is essential to being successful as a property manager.

Management is typically hands off and at times you do work with another manager when running the property.
Pros
Laid back and can be fun.
Cons
Not being able to advance past the property level career wise.
People are kind and friendly to work with.
In-Charge Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 15, 2016
I enjoyed it here. The people are really nice. Mangement is cool. My Co-workers are cool. I hate outbound.
Customer Service, Sales and Collections
Resident Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, CAJune 30, 2014
A day at Public Storage includes helping customers, via phone and walk in, cash handling and generating new customers. I am able to work indoor and outdoor. I clean units and property everyday and maintain a high level of security. Responsible for documenting all communication between manger and customer. Keep District Manager up to speed on daily operations of property. I have become more confident to present and sale services and merchandise. Co-workers are an essential part of the job to help you with questions to policy or customer questions.The hardest part of the job is meeting required percentages of merchandise sales, delinquent accounts and rented spaces. The most enjoyable part is being able to help people in a time of need.
Pros
living onsite
Cons
short breaks and compensation

Want to know more about Public Storage?

Ask a question
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2016
Thank you for the opportunity to learn and grow with the companies whether I was working with low income families at the Housing Authority or help with startup operation with EASI through Shell Oil company. I greatly enjoyed every endeavor.
Customer Service and Sales
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYSeptember 2, 2014
A typical day at work would be providing very good customer service with every customer and making sure there experience with us is a memorable one. I learned how to interact with different personalities as well as fulfilling my duties that were expected of us from our management. I have also learned how to carefully manage keeping the office as well as the property in good standing. It has taught me time management skills as well as always putting our customers and their needs first. But also keeping up with our numbers and paperwork simultaneously.
My co- workers were very helpful when needed always attentive and willing to complete our daily tasks as a team and executing as much sales as we could towards making our target goal for the day.
The hardest part of the job was trying to ensure we had perfect numbers though it was difficult with the right tactics it was still attainable. However the most enjoyable part of the job was the overall customer service experience and learning new things referring to management and sales each day.
benefits
Meh
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJune 18, 2016
It's a good place to pick up some skills however there is no growth within the company. chances are you will get stuck at the bottom and stay there forever.
Great Place to Start
Property Manager/District Safety Captain (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NY 11714March 5, 2016
Love my District Manager and the environment I just wish there was more room for advancement in the company. Unfortunately if you start as a Relief Manager the highest you can go is Key Training Professional or Property Manager. They don't promote for higher positions from within.
customer service
Relief manager (Current Employee) –  Malden, MAJuly 1, 2016
customer service, managing staff and running and cleaning the property. The customers and making sure the property runs smoothly and maintaining the units
a typical day at work
Relieve Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, CAJune 5, 2012
Facility grounds needs to be cleaned up, due to trash from the main street which is pacific coast highway. Many units are in need of maintenance that have be fixed by professionals. Daily delinquency calls to tenants who are late in their monthly payments. We get constant irate tenants complaining about rent raise and other matters. We get a walk-in customers and customers by appointment.
Cons
too many units need maintenance, too many tenants angry about rate change, poor management by district.
No Go
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasApril 15, 2014
I have worked for public storage for 2 years I have seen it all. District Managers play favorites. And they pile more work and never increase pay. This is the job where u are over worked and underpaid. This company is profit sharing so DMs get a percentage of everything they don't spend. So nothing ever gets done. I used to be a property manager and my climate controlled building is always hot DM don't wanna fix because it takes away from their pay. A typical day of work is reviewing and notate reservations, rent units, make delinquent tenant calls, you must do your own maintenance, property checks, vacate units, and also complete other assignments the DM comes up with. its a lot of documentation for no cause. Their pockets get bigger why we are stuck with the overwhelming customers and the headache. We raise rent every 6 months and say it's due to the revolving market rate. I got sick to my stomach of working there and taking advantage of customers and decided to quit. I WOULD NEVER EVER RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE NOT EVEN ON MY WORST ENEMY. IF THEY CALL YOU WITH A JOB OFFER RUN LIKE HELL
Pros
nothing
Cons
Great managers, a lot of work.
RESIDENT PROPERTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2015
District, regional, and divisional manager were all great. They give you the training and recognition you deserve. Pay could be considered low, but there are good benefits. There are a lot of changes, though. Once you get used to a certain way of doing things, it would change.
Pros
Benefits, management
Cons
Short breaks, many changes
Good co-workers
RELIEF MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 18, 2016
Typical day at work consisted of being outside or in the office taking care of sales. I learned about leasing. Management was horrible too much favoritism. Co-workers were nice. Hardest part of the job was dealing with stupidity and gossip. I enjoy the work schedule.
Pros
Work Schedule
Cons
Workload/Management
Horrible
Relief Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAMay 24, 2016
Shady business tactics. Micromanaging district managers. Low pay. No weekends off. No bonus' or commission. This company has no pride in itself and only cares about profit.

2.8