Public Works Employee Reviews in United States

Typical day at work
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 3, 2015
A typical day at work involves 10 -15 calls from constituents or other departments regarding work requests. Director assigns tasks to prepare for upcoming meetings or information about past events. Also receive emails from other departments to schedule meetings with Director or assist with resolving issues they receive from residents. Maintain physical and electronic files for personnel, accidents, as well as other matters.
Pros
Work without supervision
Challenging work culture for innovation & efficiency; Management weak.
GIS Photogrammetry Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2016
I believe my review should be taken with a grain of salt.
My expectations were made based upon many conversations with my supervising manager. Having moved from South Carolina to Denver, I was given the impression the position was open to innovation and process improvements.
Upon acceptance and the first month, it was clear that staff, processes and goals were all fixtures of the more permanent kind.
The youngest tenured staff had been there 8 years and the oldest was 30 years.
The notion of change or optimization was something not well received.
The error on my part was moving from local government in a very conservative state to big government in a more liberal state would lead to great developments.

The benefits and pay are both very good.

My recommendation is to manage expectations both one's own as well as others around you,
Pros
Pay and Benefits; long term stability
Cons
management; advancement; open to change
Water Department
Laborer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJJanuary 2, 2016
Took water samples every two hours of the day starting at 7 am. Made adjustment were adjustments where needed. Check PH levels, chlorine levels , and iron levels. Back wash and clean filters.
Pros
Perfect work hours great benefits
Cons
Not enough pay
very nice people, caring and safe work environment
Village worker (Former Employee) –  Sauk Village, ILOctober 6, 2015
I give Sauk Village Public Works 2 thumbs up great management, team work and love for the village they show is great. learned to change street lights, my co worker are awesome. the hardest part of the job was tree cutting.
Pros
friendly people, well rounded staff
Cons
n/a
Public Works
Truck Driver machine operator (Former Employee) –  Crowley, LADecember 23, 2015
I had fun learning a couple of new trades with getting to know a few exceptional people along the way. The Supervisory team left a lot to be desired when it came to professionalism,
Laid back
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hickory Hills, ILMarch 11, 2016
It was a pretty laid back environment, with different projects to do around the city. It just got repetitive after a while
Nice place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, NCAugust 8, 2015
I enjoyed helping the public here because it showed them that I was there to give them assistance when they needed it. I made sure that the trucks were out to prepare broken water mains or to fix anything that was wrong. I also made sure that all of the messages that needed to be delivered were.
Pros
Helping the public
Cons
Working with full time employees and assisting them in the day to day work that had to be done for the public
Full-Time Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILAugust 24, 2015
Working for public works is one of the best jobs I have had. I learned a lot all the way from hands on work, to customer service and organization and recording of work details
Public Works. Worked and helped the community.
Road Technician (Former Employee) –  Leola, PAJuly 3, 2015
Multiple tasks. Roadmaster for 2 years. Worked in Roads Dept., Sewer Dept., Water Dept., Community Pools, Parks and Maintenance of buildings. Public Works is running a town and all it's daily functions. To much to list.
Pros
Great job helping and serving the community.
Cons
Working for public works was always a busy and fun day
maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMarch 26, 2015
Typical day of work was fixing and paving streets. Some days I would mow, edging, and weed eat the medians in the streets. Co- workers made the work place enjoyable and stress free. The job was never really hard. Everyone worked together. Most enjoyable part of the job is the people I worked with. Never was boring or stressful.
enjoyable job
City of Raton (Former Employee) –  Raton, NMApril 7, 2015
typical day consists of cleaning alleyways, driving dump trucks, and spreader trucks, management was good management. working with coworkers was enjoyable. the hardest part of the job was cleaning alleyway without any tools etc.
Pros
compansation was great
Cons
the labor
supplied water whenever needed
Public works (Former Employee) –  Monee, ILDecember 2, 2014
A typical day at work starts with a pep talk from the boss then heading off in our trucks to do our work. i learned to work safely and efficiently. management did there best to keep up to speed with everything and my co-workers were nothing but cooperative and outgoing. the hardest part of my job trying to get as much work done in the day. what i enjoyed most about this job is being outdoors.
Not a bad place to work, just understaffed
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Sleepy Hollow, ILDecember 9, 2014
I learned how to lead people, set goals for the week. Manage employees. Hardest part of job was trying to manage day to day operations for the village being understaffed. Enjoyable co workers, just not very driven for success. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be independent and the hours were amazing.
Public Works
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CaJanuary 30, 2015
A work day at Public Works was always fun , I learn alot working there . Public Works taught me how to answer phone to doing Data Entry. The staff and boss were very friendly and they didn't make it hard to work there .
Pros
free lunch, long breaks, great working space
Productive company
Laborer (Former Employee) –  South Lyon, MISeptember 16, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company and it was managed very well. I learned how to use chain and pullsaws and run woodchippers. It was very laborous and taught me alot about self discipline. The hardest part of the job was how hard the physical labor was. The most enjoyable part was i got ALOT of exercise.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
its so cold and so much snow in michigan it made for long days in the wintertime.
Hardwork
City Laborer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland Heights, OHAugust 12, 2014
A typical day of work in this field would insist of me coming to work and clocking in. Then I would go to every city park, City hall recreation center, library, local business and parking lots cleaning up the grounds, trimming trees, bushes and cutting grass as well. We even cleaned off brand spots. Anything that was owned by the city of Cleveland Heights we cleaned it and kept it looking presentable.
Pros
it was a workout
Cons
i didnt have enough hours
I was just doing community work
Volunteer Member (Former Employee) –  MatthewsApril 14, 2014
i liked to work their because i got the experience.
I had learned with the city guys how to do construction.
The mangement staff was good.
THe workers when i had worked their was nice and friendly.
One of the hardest part of the job was fixing underground pot/ sewer holes.
I enjoyed working their with the guys it was a tremodous experience.
Pros
we always helped each other out
Cons
whenever we was not busy time got by slow
Best Job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 25, 2015
We would go from yard to yard making sure that it was decent. We did about 15 yards a day. I learned to work a weed eater and a lawn mower.
Public Works Should Be Ran By An Experinced Trades Man.
Heavy Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Banning, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Where I Use to Work At Public Works, There Was Always Horse Playing Around Involved Which Just Makes Bad For Everyone.
It Is Better To Mind Your Own Job Duty And Finish Task.
The Management Of That Company Needs To Be Shot Down And Put The Right People In Office To Operate The Business.
The Co-Workers There Need To Be Trained/Take Job Serious.
The Hardest Part Was The Supervisor Wasn't Very Supportive To Better Your Skills In The Field Of Heavy Equipment Construction.
The Only Time Was When There Was An Employee Free Luncheon Or Holiday Luncheon.
Pros
having to work with a good crew is good communication.
Cons
on the job supervision is needful.
I enjoy life, music, church and family
Equipment Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXDecember 4, 2013
A typical day starts at 7:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday thru Thursday with rotation on Friday. I check and service my equipment before heading out to perform my daily job duties. I learned that good customer service is a plus. I have been a manager in my past work history and I appreciates the overall challenge that comes with the job position. I work in a teamwork environment and share quality time with co-workers on and off the job. The hardest part of the job is repeated equipment failure and trying to maintain schedule. The work schedule is an enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
enjoy working with others
Cons
limited to no breaks