Public Works Employee Reviews

Fast paced
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2017
A typical day is very fast paced. No lunches. Your job doesn't feel safe. For me it wasn't close enough to home for me. To many bosses. Your work life balance is always out of wack.
Pros
Cons
no real lunches
Hard work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 16, 2017
A typical day at Public Works in the morning was to do paperwork, get paperwork ready for the drivers. Made sure that drivers equipment was ready. Check with other supervisors to make sure that all drivers showed up.
Pros
Time off when you needed it.
Cons
Long hours, some weekend work
fast pace and enjoyed it
Director of Public works (Former Employee) –  Spirit Lake, IANovember 8, 2017
setup days work for several departments and working with public on issues that may arise on a daily bases. some were difficult but also rewarding to help public solve issues.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
hours can be long
good
Temp (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXNovember 7, 2017
I like working at place where everyone was very nice and helpful, where i got to learn new skills i can take to any other job.I would like to return to this job.
Good for entry level
Public works (Current Employee) –  Cedar lakeOctober 20, 2017
Good job if you're older. If you're younger and eager to work sometimes slow paced. Sometimes theres enough work to keep busy most days though especially winter time its slow
lack of teamwork and appreciation
Beach Maintainance Technician (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 10, 2017
had an uncaring and unqualified supervisor/ safety man, This individual's lack of expertise, common sense, and listening skills caused me both personal injury as well as mental anguish. I suffered a major concussion with lasting painful results. A complete stranger finally came to my rescue, after I was ignored by my supervisor, and furthermore, was not contacted after the incident by anyone from my workplace to see how I was doing. On returning back to work, I was put back in the same dangerous and neglectful situation, and therefore took it upon myself to elect to seek other opportunities. I was extremely disappointed in how the whole situation was handled.
Pros
working with a couple of fun coworkers, and the scenery
Cons
working with incompetant and uncaring supervisors...
Workflow
GIS Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MNOctober 7, 2017
Fun atmosphere. GIS supervisor is well trained in management and workflow. The City Engineer is caring about his employees. Fellow employees are willing to answer questions and help with any questions.
Pros
Fun meal days
Very nice
Lawn Care Laborer (Former Employee) –  Little Egg Harbor, NJOctober 4, 2017
We were always cutting grass and keeping many different areas clean. The township always looked nice after we were done cutting. The days went by fast due to always on the move.
fun work place
Seasonal Helper (Former Employee) –  Countryside, ILOctober 3, 2017
You are working out in the elements all day and it is usually never the same. Some days you maybe sweating bullets or you maybe cold as can be. It's usually non stop and always on your feet
Small company, good coworkers
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 23, 2017
Good place to work. Work/life balance easy to maintain. Company ethos is good. Non-profit. Unfortunately, being such a small company means that revenue is always a concern and there are not big possibilities for advancement and compensation does feel low.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MESeptember 13, 2017
wonderful workplace I learn a lot of things because the job is actually picking trash and removing snow in the walk way, that experience allowed me to gain other experience that I did not have before.
Pros
more training
Cons
more working hours
Seasonal/Temporary
Laborer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 28, 2017
Public works was a seasonal/temporary job that was great to work at. I worked 2 summers with public works in the summer months while out of school. easy to work with
Pros
working enviroment
Cons
pay-temporary position
Typical day
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Barnwell, SCAugust 27, 2017
On an average day ill go out to the sand pit load my own dump truck and haul it to wherever it needs to go. And sometimes fix drains and bleeders on dirt roads.
public works
public works (Current Employee) –  UtahAugust 2, 2017
great place to work, it is a lot of work outside in the heat or the cold. but you will stay busy and the people you work with are great. The chances of advancing are high.
great place to work
Assistant to the facilities operation director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2017
you learn a lot on hands good co-workers the people there treat you well makes it comfortable to work there. benefits are great and the pay was good .
To obtain an entry level position were i may utilized my skills and contribute to the companys goals
Specialist Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASAugust 1, 2017
Filing,Purchase,materials and suppplies
I have worked for 6 years into Public works I being an admin Asst and a filer I Worked with others and working with others and motivate them
Pros
Administrative
Cons
School Maintenance
proactive
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  TXJuly 12, 2017
typical work day. great place to eat lunch and watch a movie. most enjoyable part is this doesn't exist and I am making all of this up. not sure why i
just like family
Monroe County Clerk of Court (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLJuly 7, 2017
Key West is a small town and everyone know each other. Working for the Department of Health was very educational and they gave me the chance to go out and do public outreaches with the Community.
Requires a great work ethic, but the feeling of completing good work is worth it
Public Worksman (Current Employee) –  Gordonsville, VAJune 30, 2017
It is nice to do things for other people, especially in such a small town environment where even the little things can mean a lot. Great boss and co-workers.
na
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 6, 2017
Good company to build a career. You have different options and you will continue to learn as you go. That is a great benefit among the other benefits that you obtain.