Public Works Employee Reviews

Productive and Challenging environment that does not have a dull moment
Engineering Aide (Current Employee) –  South Gate, CAAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at work would be to check my email and also the Public Works email. After that has been checked, i go ahead and start my tasks.
Ive learned how to talk to people. Before this job, I did not know how to answer a phone call, or even write an email. I have learned the management/administrative side of Civil Engineering.
My hardest part about my job would be that I believe we are understaffed and the work can become overwhelming at times.
The most enjoyable aspect of this job is that my supervisor is very lenient and supportive. My job is also about a five minute drive from my house.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Part-time with no benefits
Lead Mower (Former Employee) –  Madison, MSSeptember 21, 2016
Friendly co-worker and great management team...a hour lunch break could leave I go to the place of choice for lunch.....holidays and weekends off paid sick days great retirement benefits.
Challenging work culture for innovation & efficiency; Management weak.
GIS Photogrammetry Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2016
I believe my review should be taken with a grain of salt.
My expectations were made based upon many conversations with my supervising manager. Having moved from South Carolina to Denver, I was given the impression the position was open to innovation and process improvements.
Upon acceptance and the first month, it was clear that staff, processes and goals were all fixtures of the more permanent kind.
The youngest tenured staff had been there 8 years and the oldest was 30 years.
The notion of change or optimization was something not well received.
The error on my part was moving from local government in a very conservative state to big government in a more liberal state would lead to great developments.

The benefits and pay are both very good.

My recommendation is to manage expectations both one's own as well as others around you,
Pros
Pay and Benefits; long term stability
Cons
management; advancement; open to change
Productive, nice place to work.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEJuly 10, 2016
During my time there I have learned many things, and continue to do so. There is room for advancement, they are safety minded. The benefits are nice.
Benefits
Cons
health care is expensive
Fun experience
Community Work Crew (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 2, 2017
Hard work, low pay. Good for the enviroment, and our childrens future.Hard to talk to management about projects. Everybody should get more involved in community neglect.
Pros
ENVIROMENTAL FRIENDLY
Cons
LOW PAY
Work life
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Indian Harbour BeachFebruary 7, 2017
I loved that job I could walk to it but a new management team I did not fit into their future plans. I got along not with everyone but we all did our job we liked each other
great place to work fun and friendly people
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Dublin, PAFebruary 27, 2017
learn new things great hours the hardest part of the job was when there was no work and made your day slow other then that great place. i had fun because the job was outside so you wasn't inside allday long.
Public works department was the greatest
Utilities Superintendent (Former Employee) –  North Lauderdale, FLJanuary 23, 2017
the city manager was not for boosting morale. my director was great, he let you do you job without any interference. Co-workers were like family and would do anything to help each other.
Really Enojayble Place to work , worked Independently
On Call Maintenance Aide (Current Employee) –  Paramount, CAMay 29, 2016
AOn a Typical day I would drive the cities truck to destinations that I was send to typically different parks around the city . Then proceed to unlock the restrooms to the general public . Clean and make sure the restrooms where clean prior to letting anyone in . I didn't have any problem with management at all . I got along great with all my coworkers. I didn't really find anything hard about my job. The most enjoyable part about my job was that I took pride in making sure I was always on time as people where counting on me to unlock the restrooms or unlock doors that they needed on their daily life to get to different places . I worked alone to the parks that I was assigned to . Management always trusted me as I'm very responsible and trustworthy.
Pros
worked independenly
Cons
no room for growth, no benfits, and no pay vacation.
Typical day at Public Works
Grounds Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Franklin, VAJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at Public works consisted of grass cutting, and litter control. The managment was some what ok sometimes but was prejudice activity goin on at times.
Not a very good place to work
Electrical Engineer Technician-Utilities (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 29, 2016
Not a great place to work. Management has a lot of issues. There are several departments in the building who do not work together even though they have the same common goal.
Very hard working
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Pleasantville, NJJanuary 5, 2017
This job was more about hard work, but i also learned that things are only hard the first time at this job. I learned to work smarter not harder.
excellent contract based project
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CAJanuary 11, 2017
this was a contract project as a sub for the client. I enjoyed the time with public works, owner does not general have a good reputation. Absentee and
The over all public works dept. is a great bunch of individules.
City Worker (Former Employee) –  Atlantic Beach, NCMay 24, 2016
we worked together to get work done, and the other depts. helped each other. Management and co-workers alike worked together for the good of Atlantic Beach. Advancement for a better career in public works was there for the taking.
Pros
Each week each dept cooked out or brought food for each dept.
Cons
wish I had a staded in that area and kept my job.
City of clay (Former Employee) –  Clay, ALSeptember 26, 2016
The coworkers were fun. The hardest thing was being in the sun all day. And it was always something new to do everyday. The people in the community love public workers, they always said their thanks. It was an easy job most of the time but I don't think I got paid enough for the work I mostly did.
Pros
We had to bring lunch or go and buy it
Cons
We took 15 minute breaks
All in a Days work.
Sanitation worker (Current Employee) –  Powder Springs, GAAugust 29, 2016
Each day i arrive at work at a quarter til. i fix my breakfast which are waffles and sauage. After breakfast i start my day of work. Oh how i love my Sanitation job. I get to ride on the back of the truck and blow with the wind. im usually on my route from 7:30am - 12n. My work hrs are Mon-Fri 7-3pm. After ive finished my Route, its now time to Wash and issue Carts out for the remainer of the day.
Active
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  American SamoaSeptember 22, 2016
This work its alot of potential and skills. Everday is always a busy because we're hepling people for their personal documents and also some needs and wants for the hospital. Co-workers are fun and we work together in other for us to help want our clients want.
Pros
lunch, break, active, fun
Cons
healthcare, insurance
Water Department
Laborer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJJanuary 2, 2016
Took water samples every two hours of the day starting at 7 am. Made adjustment were adjustments where needed. Check PH levels, chlorine levels , and iron levels. Back wash and clean filters.
Pros
Perfect work hours great benefits
Cons
Not enough pay
Awesome workplace
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 26, 2016
This is the best company that I worked for. They work well with all of your scheduling needs and things that need to be done. Great company to get a life long career with.
Great work experience
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTAugust 27, 2016
There were many aspect of this job. I mowed lawns in the town of Branford, paved roads, worked heavy equipment and drove town vehicles. This was a very laborious job. My coworkers were great and we enjoyed working together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Works. Our community is ready to answer.