Publix Employee Reviews

Found 5,993 reviews matching the search
Potential
Grocery Replenishment Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLFebruary 10, 2017
Publix has the potential to be an excellent work environment. However, the shift in the culture has made working at the stores difficult to stomach. The company structures everything around fear. Fear the next guy in the chain because they could walk and rip you to shreds. There isn't a manager I know currently that is happy with their job at Publix. The company demands perfection but will not allow you enough hours to achieve that goal. That being said, there are few companies out there that allow you to work your way up to the amount of money they can pay without the need for a college education. It is not an easy job, it requires large amounts of personal life sacrifice. Also, if you are working in the Lakeland division there are very long waits for management positions.
Pros
job security, excellent benefits, high pay scale for retail
Cons
retail hours, few holidays off, long hours
Better than other retail jobs, but still not perfect.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Live Oak, FLMarch 21, 2017
Recently, some of the benefits that drew me to Publix have been taken away. Quarterly inventory bonuses have been replaced by a small raise, which only some employees received. I've been here for a year and put in 2000 hours, but still don't have health insurance. That said, the pay is better than any other retail job I've had, the management is pretty good, and the atmosphere is great. My vision and dental insurance were awarded pretty quickly, and are very nice. It's hard to move up, especially in small towns, but that's probably why we've got such great management. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the job even though it isn't what I thought it'd be.
Pros
Free food to reward hard work, decent benefits, good management, pay
Cons
Not enough hours, hard to move up, fewer benefits than they promised at my interview
Free Lunch Provided
Programmer I (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 1, 2017
In the last few years, productivity requirements have been raised sharply.

Publix Corporate contract positions now require a 45-hour minimum average workweek for a contract position. On many teams, more is not uncommon.

In IT, most of their installs and updates are done at night or on weekends, so as not to impact day-to-day store operations. Frequent night and weekend work.

Support positions in particular require work on nights, weekends, and holidays.

Many of their systems are developed on top of pre-existing systems, with major issues with convenience and support.

Internal bureaucracy slows down interaction between teams more than I've seen elsewhere.

Management is promoted from within, and works closely with the rest of the team, but the monitoring of workers for security and productivity has increased recently. Employee turnover is much higher.
Pros
Free lunch, informal atmosphere, decent benefits
Cons
Long hours, no overtime, high productivity demands, high-stress
An overall nice place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALMarch 21, 2017
There really isn't a "typical" day of work at Publix. There are several different jobs one can do. You can be a cashier, front service clerk, or work in departments. I have learned a lot about how good of a company like Publix can be. The only draw back is if you are not in management, and there can only be a few out there compared to the total group of employees, you can only make so much money. It may not be enough to live on. Benefits are very good. The one drawback I can think of is even though there is a possibility to advance, for most, it doesn't, and can't happen (there are only so many slots to fill). Dealing with the customers is the best part of the job, and the insurance is great. The coworkers can be like family, as well. Overall, Publix is a nice place for someone to work. If someone wanted to go there, I'd recommend it to them.
Pros
Customers, Benefits, Healthcare
Cons
Not enough income, advancements
Depends what you are hoping to get out of it.
Grocery Replenishment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GeorgiaFebruary 28, 2017
This is a typical retail job. Let me stress that. Managers have favorites. There is lots of negativity. Never enough people to do the work. Some managers are great to work for. Others not so much.If someone does not like you or wants you gone they can make your life very difficult. To the point that they will set you up and lie to get you demoted, moved, or even fired. Even for stuff you did not do. There is very little recourse when this happens.Coworkers can be a bright spot in an otherwise dreary day or they can be the bane of your existence. Depends on the store and the personalities. On the other hand there are great advancement opportunities. Good benefits overall. Tuition reinbursment program for certain majors. Stocks and 401k.
Pros
Benefits package.Hour long lunches. Coworkers.
Cons
Coworkers, Management, Always understaffed, Negativity, Use of fear and intimidation to rule over employees.
productive day but managers aren't the best.
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 6, 2017
A typical day at Publix is decent. As I stated above, the managers aren't the best. They're flip floppy and hard to get along with. It's almost hard to adjust because new rules are being enforced every day. The workplace culture is a 5 out of 10. They show favoritism and treat a lot of employees like they're kids. Opinions don't matter and problems don't get resolved. The hardest part of the job is following your schedule. We're scheduled to get out at a certain time but always stay 2-3 hours over. The most enjoyable part about the job is actually interacting with the customers and putting a smile on their faces.
Pros
the pay is good, benefits are great, and the customers are loyal
Cons
management isn't the best
Good company culture with good people to work alongside.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  4195 W Lake Mary Blvd Lake Mary, FL 32746March 17, 2017
A typical day at work is running a register most of the time. Other jobs would be bringing in carts, changing trash/recyclables, and cleaning floors on closing shifts. The management of stores constantly changes with people being transferred to different stores all the time. The store managers tend to stay at their store for several years. The workplace culture is where associates should and are expected to be relied upon by each other. The culture puts great pride in good service for customers while instilling that certain customers can be dishonest and one must be wary to prevent loss. The hardest part of the job is when the store gets really busy and there is no breathing room between customers and the times when customers go out of their way to be rude through no fault of the employee. The most enjoyable part is the other associates and working alongside them as both co-workers and friends.
Pros
Flexibility with schedule, good people, health care benefits, 401k
Cons
difficulty in getting promotion
wonderful corporation. staff feels like family.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, GAJanuary 12, 2017
I have been at Publix for almost three years. the typical work day is well balanced and well accommodated to the associate, with communication with management. i learned so much about the importance of customer satisfaction, cleanliness and organisation in a public work area, and an emphasis getting along with associates. I get along well with all my associates, some better than others but well nonetheless. the hardest part of any customer service job is typically the customer service. sometimes its hard to put myself in the mindset where im there to serve the customer, regardless of how they treat me. The most enjoyable part of the job would also have to be the customer service. I love to see the smile on the customers face when im able to go above and beyond with what ever they are asking of me.
Pros
A good structured environment, regular raises, great compensation, good hours, reasonable breaks.
Cons
no employee discount
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seminole, FLFebruary 20, 2017
Fun and friendly environment. A philanthropic attitude is a must when working at Publix supermarkets. While difficult to advance, unless you're willing to forfeit your personal life, the benefits when you achieve your advancement can certainly be worthwhile. It is a fast-paced environment with little room for error - especially when dealing with slicers - but the feeling of satisfaction you get when everything goes right is a feeling I won't soon forget. I really enjoyed working at Publix and it's definitely a great place to work. If they can fix minor issues such as possibly starting a "managerial development program" it would greatly benefit employees looking to make a career out of publix or at the very least give a greater option for advancement.
Pros
Mandatory breaks, awards, reward system coins for outstanding customer service
Cons
Poor opportunities for advancement, intentionally short work weeks (<35hrs) to limit benefits
Not as great as it used to be
Customer Service Staff (Current Employee) –  FLFebruary 18, 2017
Too many changes to long established company guidelines. Jobs in stores are hard with long hours. Scheduling entirely by computer doesn't allow for human activities like meals and sleep.
Workplace culture is okay, but favoritism can be a problem.
Your working day depends on management style. Lots of new managers who don't know how to say "please" and "thank you".
Best part is some of my coworkers, some are like family.
Worst part is some managers who like to make your life miserable and don't know how to lead a team to get results.
Pros
Benefits (if full time)
Cons
Just another retail job
Productive and fun workspace with plenty of room for advancement in the company along with a strong team of employees who always encourage one another
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 15, 2017
I enjoy my time at Publix each day the environment is positive and helps me interact with others by helping them solve issues and find products, the management is super supportive and understanding no matter what and they are very fair with how they treat everyone. the hardest part of my job is definitely pulling out thousand pound pallets with a pallet jack and rushing to break them all down and load the shelves before we close. I would definitely say the most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the customers because the environment is so positive.
Pros
Benefits, they work around your schedule of your other jobs
Cons
very little hours
A job is only as good as its manager.
Cake Decorator & Baker (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAMarch 24, 2017
Publix managers are pretty hit or miss. My current manager is a wonderful and upbeat guy who is dedicated to helping his employees and teamwork. However, my previous manager would demean and punish her employees while hiding away in the office for hours. The company is constantly expanding, and therefore, very quick to promote to management, which is sort of a double-edged sword. I've seen some great hard-working folk promoted into management, but then I've seen the workers who try so hard they treat the others around them like dirt.

Publix is a very high productivity environment, and unfortunately, they care less about quality than they do the amount of product you get out on the sales floor. If you are passionate about your craft and like to take your time, this place isn't for you. If you're up for a challenge though, it's good fun, provided you get the right manager.
Pros
Flexible, training opportunities
Cons
No discounts or any benefits to speak of for part timers, hours are unpredictable
work duties
Front service bagger/ Meat department (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 2, 2016
Overall publix is a good company, with benefits and options of advancement.
In the meat department I mostly cut, stock, meat and clean the machines, and in Cusomter service, I was a bagger, which consisted of cleaning bathrooms, checking lot for trash, Carts, sweep/mop the store when needed, after store hours using a floor care machine to clean the floors on every isle, provide friendly customer service.
Pros
hour breaks, weekly pay, friendly employees, good benefits
Cons
Shave daily even with my skin condition makes it very painful, management can take advantage of you sometimes, alot of work often falls on few select employees, not the lazy ones.
No family no problem
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, GAMarch 2, 2017
This company does not care about you or your family. If you go into management, be prepared to work 60+ hours without overtime. Communication between upper management and lower staff fails completely. Training is nothing more than going into a room and clicking a computer screen. On the job training is at a minimum. Benefits are good though. You get stock just for working there. Insurance available for part time employees.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management requires long hours for no extra pay. Training is a minimum.
Productive and fun
Baker (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALFebruary 3, 2017
OPEN THE BAKERY GET MY DAILY TASK STARTED BE PRODUCTIVE AND WORK IN A TIMELY MANNER TO GET ALL MY WORK TASK DONE AND COMPLETED ON TIME
I learned something new every day that's the great thing about work you can grow and learn from all experiences, management was ok took care of issues in a timely manner and helpful
hardest part of the job was being promised advancement and raises and never receiving those as promised
the job was always fun got along with everyone and we all had fun every day while working
Cons
never given what promised
Feels like Family
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  New Smyrna Beach, FLMarch 22, 2017
What to say about a company I have worked for over ten years and still going....
I have learned a lot and seen a lot and made a lot of friends, they are like family no matter what store you work in. every body is nice to every body, and the more experienced people take you under their wing and help you when you need it.
Now i'm doing the same, every holiday we all give each other little baked goods and dress up in fun accessories if allowed and make memories. I very much appreciate publix and all the benefits I have.
I don't have to worry about what if, I know I have Publix on my side.
Pros
staff, benefits, stock, pay, full time, holidays, inventory bonus, quarterly bonus, so much more.
Cons
transfer availability - example full time openings in another store when wanting to transfer.
Awesome Company but not in Charlotte Division (Pharmacy)
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 14, 2016
I have always felt Publix was an awesome company. My advice is to be careful of your location. My relocation to the Charlotte Division has been horrible. The management here is horrible compared to Publix everywhere else. Management would be considered bullies, condescending, and not approachable. Management constantly threatens your job security. This is not the Publix way. Normally I would recommend Publix and still do as far as pharmacy is concerned stay away from the Charlotte division.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, 401k, stock options, bonuses
Cons
Pay, Management, Not Opportunity to grow
Overall good place to work
Stock Clerk / Baggage Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 30, 2016
Very good place to work, no matter the age or where you are in life this is the best place to make a living and career. A typical day at work consists of you doing your department duties, all while meeting new people and talking to customers. Management is great, and everything is fun. The only downside I see is if you can't handle what you're doing and are slow to learn, they have no tolerance for that as they think you're slacking off even if you're trying your hardest and will let you go as fast as new people come in.
Pros
Hour breaks on full time, 30 mins for part time
Cons
No publix benefits for part time
How Publix prepared me for life ahead
Assistant Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, GAOctober 20, 2016
Before Publix I held 6 jobs at one time, all of which were very laborious. Very quickly I earned a full time position and after just shy of two years I managed to skip up two positions in a promotion which I have held since. After my promotion I was quickly transferred to our highest volume store in the district and are currently a candidate for another promotion. My point is, I know what it takes to succeed and get ahead. I understand consumer trends and I have a great understanding of the local demographic. You'd be surprised what you learn from watching exactly what everyone around you is buying. I work hard and I'm always consistent.
Pros
Fantastic benefits and good pay
Cons
Long hours, missing home life, inconsistent scheduling
This company is a great place to work with opportunity for advancement.
Grocery Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 22, 2016
Publix is a remarkable company to work for! They are very structured in their training. Management style varies with each location. All full-time associates are at the mercy of the automated scheduling system which can take some getting used to. The days can be long but the rewards are great with bonuses. If you're looking for a career in any department of the supermarket, with plenty of opportunity for advancement, then Publix is for you!
Pros
Advancement opportunity with substantial salary, job security, ability to explore multiple depts if one desires.
Cons
Hours change week to week, communication between management is sometimes absent or misdirected, "Publix comes before Family" despite what you may hear

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Publix. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2