Puget Sound Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Good workplace, nice HQ premises, and great renewable energy sites
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST, IT APP SOLUTIONS (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 29, 2015
I provided Executive Administrative Support to a large IT team.

Management was able to recognize my professional abilities and allowed me to perform and excel with minimal or no-supervision. This helped me improve even more my organizational and technical skills.

The most enjoyable part of the job was taking part in recruiting process and assisting with information and set up of new employees and contractors.

The most challenging and rewarding at the same time was to be part of a fast-paced, multicultural environment were cross-functional teams must be always kept coordinated.
Pros
Good workplace, nice HQ premises, and great renewable energy sites, friendly coworkers
Cons
Compensation low market range.
Senior Evaluation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 15, 2015
This is a good place to work with great work-life balance. I very much enjoyed my time. The people are nice and the company provides lots of opportunities to grow and develop. Lots of opportunities to move up the company once hired.

If you constantly want to learn new things you will have to change jobs there every two or three years. But, it has a really great 401K plan. I know lots of people who left and then came back to work for Puget Sound Energy. I have to write two hundred words for this review and so I am just going to start typing random words until this thing accepts my rating. I feel like this review is asking me to write an essay on my former employer, an essay no one wants to read. people want quick facts about a company without having to read a bunch of essays.
Comfortable environment with opportunities to move around
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 28, 2015
I learned a lot in my time at PSE and the company culture is great for maintaining a work/life balance. It can be hard at times to see great work get recognized, but the people in the company are motivated to produce great results and support one another.
Pros
Work/life balance, diverse opportunities, benefits
Cons
Lower pay compared to other nearby utilities
Excellent place to learn and grow as an employee
Business Analyst - Customer Construction Services (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 23, 2016
In my 5 years at Puget Sound Energy, I have been in a variety of roles and in all positions, a heavy emphasis on recognizing its employees for the good work they do has always been paramount. Puget Sound Energy is very collaborative and looks for ways to improve every aspect of the business by modeling other utilities or recognizing ideas from any place inside the company. PSE is so customer oriented that every single department puts customers as the number one focus for all daily work and is very respectful of ideas to enhance customer experience while not treating employees as second rate.
Pros
Customer Focused, Open, Honest, Innovative
A Great Place to Work
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 28, 2015
I have so much to say about my experience with PSE. I can only best summarize it as, they gave me the excellent foundation for being an overall great employee. The work culture and integrity they promote and uphold have given me the confidence in my career to know I can succeed anywhere. My typical work day at the least was very busy. Everyone works very hard and takes on alot of responsibility but, the benefits (PTO) are very good and almost every department has a flexible schedule option. They provide you with learning opportunities from within the company, as well as promote internal advancement. The mentality at PSE is that they are always doing what they can to make it a "Great Place to Work" and they certainly do that.
Pros
great work culture, wonderful people to work with, great benefits and compensation
Cons
busy schedule
Good benefits but draconian leave policies
CSR I (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAAugust 27, 2015
Very detailed call center job with good benefits, but the leave policies are draconian and there are no actual sick days (you have to schedule sick leave ahead of time)
Used to be a great place to work but no more
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 20, 2016
Management is run by individuals (many times not the most qualified) with no consideration of staff. It now takes 20 people to change a light bulb in the IT department. Benefits were reduced. Pay grades were increased to better fit within the industry but current employees didn't benefit.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
Poor Management, No career advancement
It's Okay
Customer Service Rep 2 (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAMay 15, 2016
Management is run by individuals, with no consideration of staff. While the benefits and co-workers are fantastic, you have to watch your back at every turn
Pros
Great Co-workers, and Leads
Cons
High cost health care, upper management
Fast paced customer oriented company
Customer Service Representative, Call Center (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAJanuary 21, 2016
Customer oriented company, and treated each other with respect, and kindness. Work culture was fun and uplifting. Great place to work.
A fantastic place to work
Manager, Contract Services (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 28, 2016
Demanding and technical work but highly satisfactory, in the end you go home feeling good about what you've done. Storm duty is especially demanding but satisfying.
Working in the fog of culture change
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 29, 2015
Executive leadership has strong and sincere aspirations for changing the culture to one of directional transparency, employee engagement and evidence-based/data-driven, customer-centered decision making. Entrenched processes and structures (and people) make it hard. There are waves of blow back, making for a two-steps forward, one-step back cadence.

Upper management does listen and take feedback from front-line employees seriously. Middle management seems more political and stuck in place.

Ongoing and iterative functional and process changes add pressure to carrying out the daily work. The drive from the top to focus and measure results is a much needed improvement, but also adds a lot of pressure. It's a collective learning curve and a bit of a thrill ride at times.

You can learn a lot about the energy business and about organizational change and process improvement. A lot of organizational growth is happening here right now. Employees are invited to break out and pitch their ideas and be influencers and leaders.
Pros
Executive leadership clearly communicates goals and strategy
Cons
Professional growth and develop glass ceilings
It's changing
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 24, 2012
Come in with a high salary and stay for the long haul their field, can demand a high salary up front, and doesn't need to move up. PSE pays less than the market rate for most positions and does so because of their benefits. A lot of positions at PSE offer decent work/life balance. That's been changing in recent years and it's a departmental variable.

The people are wonderful. Generally people here are warm and understanding. The company is change adverse but has been pushing through a lot of change recently. Jobs at PSE can be moved to any PSE location without a renegotiation of salary.

I really enjoyed being able to work on issues that affected the company. PSE trusts its employees to do the right thing.
Pros
people, healthcare, paid time off
PSE - The Energy to Do Great Things
Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 19, 2013
The greatest asset Puget Sound Energy has is it's people. Puget Sound Energy has been a terrific place to work for the past seven years. PSE has a long history of taking care of it's customers and the environment. Those are important values to preserve. I have been able to learn and grow and meet some of the most caring and capable people I have ever met. The work is challenging and interesting. Employees are empowered and supported to stretch and grow. The most difficult part of the job would be finding a career path once you have created a new job for yourself. Sometimes it is easier to develop new processes, however sustaining them can be a challenge. Change can also be a challenge to navigate as there have been so many reorganizations in the past five years. I recently graduated from DeVry University thanks to Puget Sound Energy's terrific tuition reimbursement program. The benefits at PSE are great.
Pros
gym, tuition reimbursement, work/life balance, freedom to explore career path, retirement and 401k
Cons
recent layoffs and forced retirements
Decent Place to Work
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 3, 2013
Typical day at work is just fine. Assisting customers over phone, in-person and via email. Focus on providing great service to every customer. Leadership of department does not support employee advancement, employee development, and does not ensure for positive employee experience. I most enjoy the customers I work with on a daily basis. The worst part of the job is the people I report to that somehow find a way to make it a very negative and unfriendly place to work.
Pros
beautiful location, good friends at work, great benefits
Cons
terrible management
Great co-workers, tough call center
Customer Service CSRII & Lead (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 11, 2013
Took an average of customer 120 calls per day in call center environment using IBM AS 400 with Rolm system and predictive dialing for credit. Learned about electrical distribution, credit, energy conservation, event organization, what good customer service is, how to diffuse hostility, and expeditiously meet customer needs.

The most enjoyable part of the job was great training, nice co-workers, nice managers, and good benefits.

The hardest part was taking calls during storms, "assembly-line" of incoming hostile calls, figuring out high energy consumption patterns without being present at the customer's home. Poor people who couldn't pay their bills, etc.
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
somewhat regimented organizationally, not much job flexibility.
A typical day at work
Arc Welder (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 6, 2014
Cleaned all construction areas to avoid hazards. Performed heavy labor such as ditch digging, paving and hauling. Arranged and stored materials, machines, tools and equipment. Mixed and laid concrete to raise top of manhole to the street level. Transported materials, tools and machines to installation sites. Assisted in caulking pipe joints to properly seal them. Used a pick and shovel to dig, spread and level dirt and gravel. Welded meter sets for large build sites.
Too long ago to remember clearly
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 1, 2015
I worked many temporary assignments at that time. It's a bit difficult to remember all of the details. A fair company to work for.
Good place!
Contract Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 30, 2014
I worked as a contract graphic designer for 10 years and was probably one of the best experiences of my professional career. Nice people, smart people. Great projects to work on and continuous education opportunities were always available.
Pros
the people
Cons
contactors = no benefits. but the pay was good.
Public Utility
Credit & Collections - Payroll & Inventory (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 27, 2014
I began as a temp and ended up working for this utility for more than twenty years. I began in the Credit Department and enjoyed my various duties.

All supervisors and managers I had were very good. It was an open and friendly work atmosphere. The workforce was varied and interesting and I am still friends with many former co-workers.

If you are able to take direction and follow policy and procedure, you are left to do your job and treated like an important part of the group.
Pros
good benefits and salaries
Cons
mergers and lay offs
Group not well managed and no training was provided.
Associate Municipal Land Planner (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 26, 2012
I liked my co workers and the work itself was interesting. Would have liked some training instead of just being handed random tasks with no idea as to how it fit into the larger picture. Best part of the job was doing site visits to see our hard work in the office in action.
Pros
free lunchs, use of company vehicles
Cons
no benefits, no paid time off and no possibility for permanent placement, no parking, no public transportation passes provided