Puget Sound Energy Employee Reviews

good company
Engineering Mapping Technician (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 2, 2018
i believe it was one of the best place i ever worked. relaxing and environment was nice, however, pay is a little low due to it is a public utility company.
Customer service vs. Salary
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WANovember 14, 2017
Working in Customer Service for PSE was a lot different than working outside of the Union and for a salaried position. They are unwilling to work with you for time off but benefits are great.
A good place to work
O&M Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 10, 2017
Fun and balanced place to work.
Worked with management and labor. Power generation is a great part of PSE's business and it was fun to be part of it.

PSE's approach was more risk adverse, costly, and bureaucratic than when the plant was owned and operated independently
Pros
low stress culture; virtually unlimited budget to maintain plant
Cons
not all managers were good
Old School Corporate Mentality
Project Liaison (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 7, 2017
The hardest part about my job is showing up to work everyday. The tasks I work on everyday are treated as needless and the culture here does not promote positivity.

With the majority of employees being contractors here, it is hard to get a great feeling about anything. (In my opinion) There should be more effort for transitioning contractors to employees and building team moral.
Pros
Low-key
Cons
No career advancement
Co-workers were easy to work with
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WANovember 6, 2017
A typical day at work included all incoming calls for office and for emergency details.
Incoming calls were top priority, so between calls we took care of both incoming and outgoing correspondence. The workplace environment was busy, but easy to work in.
Other employees were encouraged to keep an enjoyable but professional sense when at work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when dealing with incoming grants from charity organizations, because it was always a nice feeling to know that I was a part of helping someone get back on their feet.
Pros
birthday celebrations, free coffee stands, good bonuses
Cons
not enough time to work with correspondence as required volume
Terrible for working parents
Energy Assistance, Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAOctober 3, 2017
You are held down to the minute and benefits and pay do not make up for that. Benefits are weak and pay is little compared to other utilities. don't waste your time here.
Excellent work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WASeptember 28, 2017
They provided excellent pay and benefits. I was able to work the graveyard shift I wanted the entire time I was employed. Eventually I transitioned to be an at home agent with PSE providing the equipment and internet to complete my work.I had great and helpful coworkers on my team. I learned skills to deal with difficult customers.
Pros
Yearly bonuses & free lunches for special occasions.
Cons
Mandatory overtime during large storm related power outages.
Great Place To Work
Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 13, 2017
PSE is built around a safety culture and career advancement is encouraged. I would encourage anyone to apply. Internal hiring is preferred so do not overlook contract opportunities to get your foot in the door.
Clique-ish, 1930s mentality
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 4, 2017
Constantly losing money due to lack of oversite committees Nickel and dime at the lowest level to save the bottom line while spending top dollar for over budget projects constantly within my 15 years of working here.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of training in any job, lack of communication in any job
It's a job
IT Staff (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 28, 2017
Like anywhere it will depend on who your manager is and what department you are in. Slowly trying to advance IT but systems and resistance is commonplace.
This Job was Amazing
Temp Fisheries Worker (Current Employee) –  Concrete, WAAugust 14, 2017
Working with Puget sound energy in the fisheries sector was the most entertaining and exciting job that I have experienced. The people that you work with are a lot of fun as well. Everyone is so friendly, and they are always awknowledging that youre working hard and that they appreciate you.
Bad Management and Unskilled Workers
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Not ApplicableJuly 25, 2017
I would not recommend the leadership/management of Puget Sound Energy. They are lazy and have little to no expertise in their job functions. My direct leadership often has the incorrect or incomplete information. They are terrible at work management. I have taken over for two people who have left my team in addition to my normal work functions yet I am expected to stay up to date on all of it. The job functions should have been spread amongst the remaining members of our team. My biggest pet peeve is that the leadership and management cannot be trusted to give the correct answers to vital questions regarding the job.
Cons
cost of benefits to employee
Good people, company headed in right direction
Finance (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 19, 2017
Company has made tremendous strides over the past few years. Culture has begun to embrace change and move the company in the right direction. Leadership is motivated and trying to do the right things. Org structure is too flat and there are very limited opportunities for talent to move up.
Pros
Pay is getting better, still not great though. People, work/life balance
Cons
Comp still lags a bit, there are some leadership voids
Puget Sound Energy
Resource Coordinator/System Operations (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJune 13, 2017
Great company, poor teamwork displayed in some departments. Constant battle between represented and non represented employees, making moral very low. Decent PTO/time off. Decent benefits.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAJune 9, 2017
Many calls are from people who had their gas or power turned off. They are angry and act entitled to have service even though they do not pay for the usage of their service. PSE is touchy with attendance. The system used to get time off is faulty and selecting something in the wrong order will result in something getting defaulted incorrectly. If you do not notice that it saved incorrectly you will get a notice that your schedule was not adhered to at the time you do not come in, on your time off. Management doesn't work with you if there is a scheduling mistake and you will get written up.
Some very good jobs, some not so good ... many changes since I left.
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 7, 2017
I was proud and pleased to work at PSE and remain so. Workplace culture was generally pleasant and relaxed. Productivity and delivery were also quite good; we were providing a high quality service (power and natural gas utility) at a good price, very neatly fulfilling the ethical and business obligations of a utility. I was given a lot of freedom to find ways to make my projects succeed and was able to do so. Management was occasionally stressed by the need to balance demands of safety, state and federal oversight, and investor funding; this stress routinely rolled downhill to my level, whereupon I worked 60+ hour weeks until resolved (no OT, natch). Do I sound whiny? Well, that stress was usually offset by the freedom to set my own schedule and choose how to make it all work. There have been many fundamental changes at PSE since I left. I was exposed to many new learning opportunities at PSE and learned much which I applied to subsequent work. I would be willing to go back and apply lessons learned since then, so it must be a good place to work.
Challenging work environment. Good people.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 5, 2017
PSE is a great place to work. Good benefit package and a challenging work environment. Would work there again in a heart beat. There is plenty of room for advancement for new employees. If you like teamwork, PSE is a wonderful place to carve out a satisfying career.
Pros
Good opportunities for advancement. Opportunity to advance education.
Cons
Retirement benefits not as good as they used to be.
I am a contractor
Project Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 18, 2017
I am currently working as a contractor, but the people are very nice and they seem to have good job work life balance. the leadership seems to actually encourage it and also are very supportive of their staff for career advancement.
I loved this job, not the boss
Temporary Helper (Former Employee) –  Orting, WAApril 26, 2017
I loved working for PSE as a temporary helper. I got to replace and maintain a working hydroelectric facility. The work was outdoors, but had company provided raingear and protective equipment. Was able to use a wide array of power tools and run equipment i had never been able to before. Our tasks were planned and well thought out. The pay and benefits was more than enough for a kid my age, but it was the job tasks themselves and the coworkers i was side by side with every day that really made this job shine. Now for the downside. The plant manager at that time was a PSE employee that worked for the natural gas side of the company before he bid the management position and for whatever reason he got placed in it. So he had ZERO knowledge of what we were doing on the daily basis or where any of the important landmarks were on the property. And this was after he had been there multiple years. The one thing he did enjoy doing was putting up saftey signs and making sure everyone was constantly wearing their PPE.
Pros
Great job tasks, Coworkers, Advancement, Pay, Benes
Cons
One Inept Manager
productive
Survey and Analysis (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2017
Checked natural gas lines for leaks using special instrumentation and generated reports on survey results. great people to work with, fun place . liked the invironment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Puget Sound Energy. Our community is ready to answer.