Purdue University Employee Reviews

A Great Place to Learn
Student (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 20, 2017
Purdue University is a great place to study and learn. Can major in a variety of subjects. Located in West Lafayette, Purdue University has about 40,000 students.
Purdue is a great place to work
Development Associate and Scholarship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 15, 2017
I learned so many things about how a university works. I worked closely with the department head. I enjoyed the university atmosphere and seeing the students work hard and ready themselves for their futures.
Pros
The ladies I worked with were the best.
Great for my situation.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 12, 2017
I am a student at Purdue University and working on campus made it very simple to make some extra money while studying. I could easily perform all that was expected of me and more and still study when I wasn't needed at the moment. They understand that we are students first and that our academics are important.
Pros
Great environment, acceptable to study
Cons
Limited hours since it is a work study
Purdue University was a great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Purdue Univeristy Northwest, Hammond IN CampusApril 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at Purdue University. I worked with them for over 12 years in a variety of positions. There were many learning opportunities and great people. I accepted an early retirement package in March 2017.
Pros
An overall great place to work
Cons
No cons come to mind.
overall
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 11, 2017
for the most part I was happy at Purdue, I really enjoyed my job there but management could have been better. I did learn many new things pertaining to each job I had, Landscaping and floor care techniques.
Pros
health insurance.
Cons
Pay could have been better to keep good workers.
too much politics not enough comradary
POLICE OFFICER 1ST CLASS (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 9, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at Purdue. The campus life was enjoyable. However, the administrative side was definitely cut throat and unfair in the police department.
Pros
campus life
Cons
too much cut throat politics
Wonderful department to work for
Secretary/Internship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 9, 2017
I worked nearly 8 years in the Communication Dept at Purdue.
I enjoyed assisting both professors and graduate students. I felt like a part of the Purdue family. Miss working there. Great work environment.
Pros
Boss understanding when my kids were sick
Cons
Salary wasn't what I hoped it would be
Great Team Atmosphere
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 5, 2017
Great team atmosphere. Plenty of eager students asking questions regarding their accounts. Management is really good with helping you be successful at the position.
Great school, bad business
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 5, 2017
I unfortunately, had a supervisor who was not properly trained and therefore made the time at Purdue miserable. Even after speaking to my supervisors boss, nothing was resolved.
Open to exploring new ideas in aquaculture
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 5, 2017
Half time student employed as a research assistant. Learned basic aquaculture concepts and methodologies involved with conducting feeding trials. Several people doing similar enabled exchange of ideas. Long hours involving weekends and holidays were the norm. Others suffering the same with knowing we where doing something worth while.
Pros
State of the art facilities
Cons
Spread out requiring lots of travel time
Stay Away
Lead Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 5, 2017
Do not do it, the current administration is running the place into the ground. It's a great place when you're senior level management all others be weary.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Administration
Fun Place to work for
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 2, 2017
Learned a lot, working for a University is a lot different then working with Corporate Companies. Learned how to process several different payroll, bi-weekly, monthly, and Summer Pay.
Pros
Fun people to wok for
poor review
Administrative Assistant, The Graduate School (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 29, 2017
Several Supervisors/management have no need supervising employees. Many supervisors lack the skill to supervise. Most employees are friendly. the benefits are not the same as they used to be. lacking in quality of benefits.
Productive and efficient workplace
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 26, 2017
I learned how to apply statistical theory into practice.
In the process, we encountered difficulties and solve them in group. We met once a week and discussed our latest outcomes.
Challenging and Rewarding
Student (Former Employee) –  Purdue UniversityMarch 26, 2017
I was a student at Purdue University and it was a very challenging and rewarding experience. The time there will no doubt prove beneficial to my time in industry.
BW Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 25, 2017
Good work culture. Very supportive and encouraging to new ideas. Good employee engagement programs. Opportunities to grow personally and professionally
Productive and educational workplace
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 24, 2017
I worked as a Teacher's assistant for a materials class. The purpose of this class was to understand how materials reacted to forces put on them. A typical day would be helping students create test pieces which they would later put into a testing machine to test the forces the piece can withstand. I would then help them understand why the piece broke when it did. We also worked on equations to predict how much force a test piece could withstand based on its characteristics. The hardest part of the job was trying to explain how things worked in different ways so that everyone could understand. The most enjoyable part was seeing students understand and helping others after helping them.
Good place to work and study
PL/SQL Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMarch 23, 2017
I participated in the work study program and it was the best thing I ever did. It gave me experience while in school and I had time to go to class or study in between. They work around your schedule.
Steady work and advancement if desired
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 20, 2017
Purdue University employs many clerical and service staff from around the nearby community, and as such has an easy working environment with a slow pace of expectations. Administrative Management, for the business side of the institution, is at the highest level by an advanced degree, with proven track record, but at the middle level is mediocre as staff advanced more by years of service than skill. The work place culture is diverse and pleasant, but the hardest part of the job, is the rate of speed on how projects and expectations were reached.
Pros
Benefits, low stress, and low expectations
Cons
No since of urgency to reach a goal
great college environment
First Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 19, 2017
This is a great college community and great campus.

Purdue University has great fan support and the community is supportive of all the athletic programs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purdue University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3