Purdue University Employee Reviews

Nothing to add due to fear off retribution
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 17, 2018
Purdue had outdated and archaic processes, policies and procedures. Some 7,000 employees still fill-out paper time cards. The campus is just now getting VoIP phones. Clerical/Service employees have so much PTO based on outdated and state policies that they can practically be on PTO for an entire calendar year. You can imagine what this does to trying to get things done. Management tolerates unfair pay disparities and doesn't go to bat for people. When good people leave due to pay and other disparities, they don't care because they don't have to lift a finger to replace them. There are far too many chiefs with fat contracts and car allowances and job perks. What's needed are indians--doers who can get things done, but the six-year tuition freeze makes that impossible. If the institution stays on this course, academic quality WILL suffer as it won't have the support structure and the world-class faculty to support its mission.
Great place for graduate level research!
PhD Researcher (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 15, 2018
The Food Science Graduate Program at Purdue University is an interdepartmental program, which means students can tailor their research to include their individual interest, such as.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, amazing faculty and research
Cons
work is demanding but rewarding
Overall, a decent place to work
Bindery Operator, Custodian (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 11, 2018
Lots of opportunity for technical, administrative or professional careers, but the blue collar guys who made things or provided services had a difficult time moving up unless they wanted to be in management.
Competitive place to work
PROFESSOR OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES AND LITERATURES (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 8, 2018
A typical day consists of teaching, advising, committee work, with some time left over for personal research. The workplace "culture" is competitive, but far from hostile.
Pros
flexible work days
Cons
sometime overloaded with committee assignments
Good for a stepping stone
Library Assistant IV, Veterinary Medical Library (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 7, 2018
I came hoping to use my MLIS, but my position only requires a high school diploma. After 3 years, it's time to move on to something that uses my skillset a little better.

Overall, Purdue is a nice place to work - good atmosphere, gorgeous campus, great benefits.
Very laid back
Executive Manager (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 6, 2018
If you want a slow paced environment, this is it. It offers great work life balance and many long time employees can attest to that. Great work schedule.
Work in Progress
Quality Assurance Specialist- Research Regulations (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 6, 2018
Purdue is working on changing it's culture and way of doing things to bring in fresh thoughts and ideas. Purdue is creating partnerships with business giving students an opportunity to engage in development and innovation.
Fast paced
Service worker IV (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 5, 2018
A typical day at work was comprised of a list of things you had to accomplished before the days end, the list was memorized.

I learned a lot about detailed cleaning.
Exceptional Workplace
Graduate Program Coordinator - Nursing (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INFebruary 2, 2018
Purdue is a wonderful place to work. The financial compensation, however, is low. Employees are often tasked with the responsibilities of multiple people and poorly paid.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Poor Pay
Working Environment
Administrative Assistant/Ops Tech Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 1, 2018
Exciting place to be, variety of work very professional work environment. Learned a lot being employed by an one of the well top Universities in the state of Indiana. Excellent management respect and recognition for employees.
Professional staff
Instructor, Design Thinking in Technology (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 31, 2018
I loved my teaching experience at Purdue university and the team I worked with to design the undegraduate level course. I held many responsibilities yet I felt comfortable enough to be working there.
Productive workplace
Botany Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 31, 2018
I was able to learn a lot about botany that will be beneficial in the future. Great work environment with an incredible staff. Management really cares about their employees.
Abusive Supervisor
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 30, 2018
My last supervisor at Purdue was very verbally abusive. I went to the Department Head and HR for assistance. When I tried to communicate, I was told by HR that I was being argumentative.
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
Abusive environment
Great Place - however
vice chancellor (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INJanuary 29, 2018
I thought this would be my forever job. Working for the Vice-Chancellor was great. After a short time, and I had left a good job for this one, I was told tome that the campuses were merging and my job would be eliminated
Purdue is a great place to work
Student Success Coordinator - Purdue Bound (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 27, 2018
Purdue is a great place to work.

Typical day: One moment I'm working with students, moments later I am working with a professor, later with teachers, parents and corporate partners.
I learned relationship building, networking and how critical oral and written communication skills are to the workplace.
Office environment
Hardest part is working with some staff who don't see the big picture, or who fail to adapt to change.

Some of the most enjoyable parts of this experience included:
* Working with a great variety of people (academic leadership, corporate sponsors, faculty, students, parents, teachers etc.)
* Finding creative solutions to problems
* Gleaning a great deal of information during an interview in a relatively short space of time
* Conducting interactive workshops
* Grooming students professionally
Pros
Lots of variety
Cons
Focus on faculty, staff not so much
Assisted professor and grad TA's with teaching students
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 27, 2018
I really enjoyed the small class sizes and helping individual students with lab techniques or questions they had. I think the tasks I was given outside of class, such as data analysis, were meaningful and helped me become a better scientist.
Good activities, competitive work environment.
Teaching Assistant (Laboratory Instructor) (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 26, 2018
Good activities, competitive work environment.
Improved leadership and communications characteristics.
Salary is average for position.
Other positions in this company are much better payed.
Pros
Improvement in CV and experiences (teaching, communication, etc).
Cons
Could provide a better salary.
Good place to start your career.
Academic Instructor (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 25, 2018
Working as a Graduate Teaching Assistant and Academic Instructor at Purdue University helped me to develop my teaching skills and also connect with students at a personal level. It provided me with an insight into professional world and an environment to constantly enhance my oration and presentation skills.
Purdue University Northwest - Westville Campus
Limited Term Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Westville, INJanuary 25, 2018
The Purdue system of schools is very collaborative in the way instructors and Professors assist each other with feedback on ways to present the material.
Pros
Helpful feedback.
Cons
Productive workplace with helpful professors
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 21, 2018
I am a Research Assistant at the Computer Graphics Technology(CGT) Department at Purdue Polytechnic Institute. CGT has a very encouraging attitude towards students getting hands-on, interdisciplinary experience to excel in industry. I am glad to have to come to this school.
Pros
Free coffee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purdue University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3