Purdue University

Purdue University Employee Reviews

I am happy to have worked there.
Service Worker 6 (Current Employee), Lafayette, INJune 9, 2015
Pros: Stability, Purdue has never had a layoff
Cons: Low pay, and little room for advancement
It was a physically hard job that often presented new challenges. From arrival to departure it always seamed that some new challenge would be presented daily. Even after working there for 15 years I still can not look at the new people add say "Ive seen that before" all of the time. Being that I worked 3rd shift, I did not have a lot of contact with management but what contact I had varried with the people in those positions. Some presented standards that seamed to varry day to day, others were clear and easily understood. I have had a large number of co-workers over the years and I would say many of them are similar to those in management. Some good, that I was happy to call friends, others I did my best to work with and keep a professional distance. The hardest part of the job on a day to day basis was the hours. Being 3rd shift it took quite a while to get used to not seeing the sun, and having little human interaction outside of my coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job had to be the nightly completion. When you could look back at what you had achieved and see the place clean and ready to go, and comparing that to how dirty it was when you started it was very easy to take a sense of pride and accomplishment in the job that was done.
Good job to work while going to school.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Merrillville, INJune 6, 2015
Pros: Great place
Cons: None
This was a good job while going to school. you can work and go to class. Very convenient. There is not too much to tell this was a job offered by Purdue students
I enjoyed working for Purdue!
Student Intern (Current Employee), West Lafayette, INJune 3, 2015
Pros: Free food occasionally, nice people, new tasks to do all the time
Cons: Sometimes boring
I enjoyed working for Purdue and feel it has improved my abilities to perform in a business environment, as well as my social skills!
I was a full time student
Full Time Student (Former Employee), Westville, INMay 28, 2015
Pros: close to home
At this time i wasent working iwas just a student i dont know whatelse i can tell you. i liked the school.i just did my work and graduated
A Job
Library Reserves Clerk (Current Employee), SULBMay 26, 2015
Pros: The benefit package, we get paid for training and weather related emergencies.
Cons: The vision insurance is not that great.
I enjoy my job. There is plenty room for me to work at my own pace and learn new things. My co-workers and I try to work as a team and get tasks complete as quickly and efficintly as possible.
Employee oriented productive organization
AWAKE Project, Student Coordinator (Current Employee), Hammond, INMay 22, 2015
Pros: Educational assistance and courses which are inline with the Technology Industry
Cons: Work less than 40 hours per week and no health care or other benefits
A great group of qualified team members. This is a great place to work and gain work experience inline with the technology industry.
Productive Work Environment
Community Assistant (Former Employee), Hammond, INMay 21, 2015
I learned a lot about customer service and working with diverse individuals from around the country.

My co-workers were very supportive.

The hardest part about the job was sometimes dealing with language barriers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with different individuals.
Purdue University
Student (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INMay 21, 2015
Purdue is a top University that has an emphasis on working hard and being great. My time at Purdue was very valuable in my quest to do great things. The culture at Purdue has been instilled in me, and will allow me to have success. Purdue also is very diverse. I have had the opportunity to work with many people from different countries as well as different cultures. My time at Purdue can be best described as the best stepping stone one can have going into the workforce.
Desktop Analyst (PC/Mac) (Current Employee), West Lafayette, INMay 14, 2015
A typical day could be around 60 to 70 phone calls and few emails and a few walkins. I have learned a lot in my 7 years at Purdue the most import thing I learned is that hard work does pay off. As for as managment I have seen a few changes in in my 7 years all have be for move the university forward in being on the leading edge on technology for Agriculture. My co-works have been the best group of peopl i have every worked with. The hardest part of my job I would have to say is not being able to say no to unsupported computers. The most enjoable part of my job would be the fact that every day is a new day with new issues.
fast paced environment with a diverse variety of duties in any given day
Account Clerk V, Birck Nanotechnology Center (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INMay 13, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: management styles
Purdue is a good organization to work for in the repect to benefits. they compensate their employees well. The variety of people to work with is fresh and inviting.
Experience working with the students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), West Lafayette, IndianaApril 27, 2015
My job timings depend upon the lab timings of the class. I love my job as it involves interaction with students and helping them understand concept by performing experiments.Students are really smart. I must be prepared beforehand. This taught me time management and planning. I have one undergrad helping me in the lab. Training him and coordinating is also a part of my job.

At the end of the week, I grade lab report submission from all the labs. That is the most time taking part of my job. I make sure I give proper timely feedback to all my students. The best part of the job is working with the students. There is so much diversity in the class. I just love it.
3rd St Market
Student Supervisor (Current Employee), West Lafayette, INApril 22, 2015
Pros: Employee Meals
Cons: Breaks are very difficult to find on certain shifts.
It's a fun job that lets you get to know other students while working in a mini mart. A typical work day for me this year has been coming in at 7:30 AM and working the delivery we get every Tuesday. I've learned to work at a fast pace to avoid stress during this very busy shift. The hardest part of the job is doing freezer runs to grab food and shakes in a freezer that is typically -10 degrees.
Fun place to work
Mail/Print HR (Current Employee), Westville, INApril 21, 2015
Cons: Job ended
I enjoyed working with the students, as well as, the staff. Teamwork is a given. Everyone did their share + some! Always willing to help when needed. Being on campus was an awesome experience for me. Everyone made me feel right at home.
Productive and Fun work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Hammond, INApril 18, 2015
Gained hands on experience on many software tools like RSLogix 5000, RSLogix 500, Lab view, Cognex checker, Solid Works, Auto Cad etc and worked with hardwares like PLCs, VFDs, Servo motor controls etc.
Gained knowledge on how to move forward with unknown challenges and do research.
Great Way to Get Experience
Cancer Research Lab Assistant (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INApril 16, 2015
Lab Responsibilities:

Cleaned & organized lab, equipment, & glassware.
Prioritized requests, estimated supply quantities, prepared, & sterilized liquid media & agar plates.
Fulfilled fluctuating researcher requests, such as manually inputting entire inventory of lab in Excel or preparing less commonly requested media.
Experience with thermocycler, spectrophotometer, centrifuge, & gel electrophoresis.
Demonstrated ability to focus on & complete a multitude of complex tasks & procedures while remaining approachable in demeanor, maintaining product quality, & respecting safety regulations in the lab.

Achievements:
OSHA Chemical Hygiene Plan Awareness Certified (Completed: 2012)
OSHA Personal Protective Equipment Certified (Completed: 2012)
Trained to operate autoclave, freight elevator, & Millipore water system
This is not Purdue Univ. but Purdue the chicken house.
Re-hang (Former Employee), Perry, GAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Pay check every week
Cons: Standing 10 hours a day
At Purdue the Chicken House you work, work, work, with very short breaks. I learned how to re-hang chickens and unclog the re-hang assembly line. The managers work when they feel like it and the co-workers just work. The hardest part of the job is that you stand and hang 20 pound chickens all day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to go home when you clock out.
Great work enviroment with diversity
Interim Dining Court Manager (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INApril 8, 2015
Pros: Lots of staff support, clean enviroment, good training processes
Cons: Schedules rotated, long work days, had two head supervisors to keep up with
Supervised full time, temporary and and student staff
I learned leadership skills
How to communicate with a diverse group of staff members
I conducted staff training, recognition, and appreciation events
I learned to manage inventory, customer support and service
Most staff members were skilled and supportive of co-workers
I really enjoyed working in the university setting where I could experience friendships with international people
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I had great supervisors and co-workers that supported each other.

I started out at an Assistant Supervisor and worked up to a Dining Court Manager. My was in Interim Dining Court Manager the last 6 months of my career there with the role to train the newly announced Dining Court Manager of one of the large dining courts.
very good experience,learned a lot
Supplementary Instructor (Former Employee), Hammond, INApril 7, 2015
Working as Instructor was awesome.Teaching undergraduate students and high school students is great.Learned a lot while teaching students
Great school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INApril 5, 2015
Pros: Big research budget
Cons: Large research university means classes are secondary
Great research university. Winters are cold. Excellent faculty in a large variety of engineering specializations. Close to Indy airport for out of town students.
highly political
Water\ Wastewater Supervisor (Former Employee), lafayette inApril 2, 2015
culture is highly political, decisions take a long period of time to be made makes the work environment very challenging