Purdue University

Purdue University Employee Reviews

A Job
Library Reserves Clerk (Current Employee) –  SULBMay 26, 2015
I enjoy my job. There is plenty room for me to work at my own pace and learn new things. My co-workers and I try to work as a team and get tasks complete as quickly and efficintly as possible.
Pros
The benefit package, we get paid for training and weather related emergencies.
Cons
The vision insurance is not that great.
Employee oriented productive organization
AWAKE Project, Student Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 22, 2015
A great group of qualified team members. This is a great place to work and gain work experience inline with the technology industry.
Pros
Educational assistance and courses which are inline with the Technology Industry
Cons
Work less than 40 hours per week and no health care or other benefits
Productive Work Environment
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 21, 2015
I learned a lot about customer service and working with diverse individuals from around the country.

My co-workers were very supportive.

The hardest part about the job was sometimes dealing with language barriers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with different individuals.
Purdue University
Student (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMay 21, 2015
Purdue is a top University that has an emphasis on working hard and being great. My time at Purdue was very valuable in my quest to do great things. The culture at Purdue has been instilled in me, and will allow me to have success. Purdue also is very diverse. I have had the opportunity to work with many people from different countries as well as different cultures. My time at Purdue can be best described as the best stepping stone one can have going into the workforce.
Desktop Analyst (PC/Mac) (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMay 14, 2015
A typical day could be around 60 to 70 phone calls and few emails and a few walkins. I have learned a lot in my 7 years at Purdue the most import thing I learned is that hard work does pay off. As for as managment I have seen a few changes in in my 7 years all have be for move the university forward in being on the leading edge on technology for Agriculture. My co-works have been the best group of peopl i have every worked with. The hardest part of my job I would have to say is not being able to say no to unsupported computers. The most enjoable part of my job would be the fact that every day is a new day with new issues.
fast paced environment with a diverse variety of duties in any given day
Account Clerk V, Birck Nanotechnology Center (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMay 13, 2015
Purdue is a good organization to work for in the repect to benefits. they compensate their employees well. The variety of people to work with is fresh and inviting.
benefits
Cons
management styles
Experience working with the students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, IndianaApril 27, 2015
My job timings depend upon the lab timings of the class. I love my job as it involves interaction with students and helping them understand concept by performing experiments.Students are really smart. I must be prepared beforehand. This taught me time management and planning. I have one undergrad helping me in the lab. Training him and coordinating is also a part of my job.

At the end of the week, I grade lab report submission from all the labs. That is the most time taking part of my job. I make sure I give proper timely feedback to all my students. The best part of the job is working with the students. There is so much diversity in the class. I just love it.
3rd St Market
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 22, 2015
It's a fun job that lets you get to know other students while working in a mini mart. A typical work day for me this year has been coming in at 7:30 AM and working the delivery we get every Tuesday. I've learned to work at a fast pace to avoid stress during this very busy shift. The hardest part of the job is doing freezer runs to grab food and shakes in a freezer that is typically -10 degrees.
Pros
Employee Meals
Cons
Breaks are very difficult to find on certain shifts.
Fun place to work
Mail/Print HR (Current Employee) –  Westville, INApril 21, 2015
I enjoyed working with the students, as well as, the staff. Teamwork is a given. Everyone did their share + some! Always willing to help when needed. Being on campus was an awesome experience for me. Everyone made me feel right at home.
Cons
Job ended
Productive and Fun work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 18, 2015
Gained hands on experience on many software tools like RSLogix 5000, RSLogix 500, Lab view, Cognex checker, Solid Works, Auto Cad etc and worked with hardwares like PLCs, VFDs, Servo motor controls etc.
Gained knowledge on how to move forward with unknown challenges and do research.
Great Way to Get Experience
Cancer Research Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 16, 2015
Lab Responsibilities:

Cleaned & organized lab, equipment, & glassware.
Prioritized requests, estimated supply quantities, prepared, & sterilized liquid media & agar plates.
Fulfilled fluctuating researcher requests, such as manually inputting entire inventory of lab in Excel or preparing less commonly requested media.
Experience with thermocycler, spectrophotometer, centrifuge, & gel electrophoresis.
Demonstrated ability to focus on & complete a multitude of complex tasks & procedures while remaining approachable in demeanor, maintaining product quality, & respecting safety regulations in the lab.

Achievements:
OSHA Chemical Hygiene Plan Awareness Certified (Completed: 2012)
OSHA Personal Protective Equipment Certified (Completed: 2012)
Trained to operate autoclave, freight elevator, & Millipore water system
This is not Purdue Univ. but Purdue the chicken house.
Re-hang (Former Employee) –  Perry, GAApril 9, 2015
At Purdue the Chicken House you work, work, work, with very short breaks. I learned how to re-hang chickens and unclog the re-hang assembly line. The managers work when they feel like it and the co-workers just work. The hardest part of the job is that you stand and hang 20 pound chickens all day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to go home when you clock out.
Pros
Pay check every week
Cons
Standing 10 hours a day
Great work enviroment with diversity
Interim Dining Court Manager (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 8, 2015
Supervised full time, temporary and and student staff
I learned leadership skills
How to communicate with a diverse group of staff members
I conducted staff training, recognition, and appreciation events
I learned to manage inventory, customer support and service
Most staff members were skilled and supportive of co-workers
I really enjoyed working in the university setting where I could experience friendships with international people
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I had great supervisors and co-workers that supported each other.

I started out at an Assistant Supervisor and worked up to a Dining Court Manager. My was in Interim Dining Court Manager the last 6 months of my career there with the role to train the newly announced Dining Court Manager of one of the large dining courts.
Pros
Lots of staff support, clean enviroment, good training processes
Cons
Schedules rotated, long work days, had two head supervisors to keep up with
very good experience,learned a lot
Supplementary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 7, 2015
Working as Instructor was awesome.Teaching undergraduate students and high school students is great.Learned a lot while teaching students
Great school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 5, 2015
Great research university. Winters are cold. Excellent faculty in a large variety of engineering specializations. Close to Indy airport for out of town students.
Pros
Big research budget
Cons
Large research university means classes are secondary
highly political
Water\ Wastewater Supervisor (Former Employee) –  lafayette inApril 2, 2015
culture is highly political, decisions take a long period of time to be made makes the work environment very challenging
Diverse and fun place to work
Supplemental Instructor and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Skills and Development Center, SADCMarch 31, 2015
I like teaching so the job was pretty easy. It helped me in honing my organizational, communication and social skills, which proved to be very beneficial to me.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Friendly environment, Good management
Cons
Low pay
Great school with nice people
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 29, 2015
I've been in Purdue for 6 years. There is a great study environment here, and most of the students and professors here are just great. As an engineering student here, I feel extremely confident that I'm will be more than ready for the future engineering work after all these Purdue style studies.
Competitive scientific environment, nice job culture
Research Assistance (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 27, 2015
I conducted my own project using drosophila with the assistance from our lab mentor. He was very helpful along the project and I was able to successfully generated mutations on target gene, dissected and observe the related changes in different organisms of drosophila under microscope.
fun co-workers, stable pay
Custodian Night III (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMarch 26, 2015
I would clean my area. I have learned that I can work with alot of different people. The management is willing to work with you. my co-workers or friendly. The hardest part of the job is the hours while having a family. the most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with

4.3