Purdue University Employee Reviews

fantastic
Mail and Copy Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJuly 15, 2016
work was busy during school year
people were great
students were great
made volumes of copies of exams, lab manuals
made gallons of coffee to employees and grad students
maintained inventory and ordered supplies
socialization was an all day thing
sorted and distributed mail
Horizon pharma
MBA Student (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, IN & Calumet City, INJuly 13, 2016
Poor compensation plans and little opportunity for career advancement. Some managers were great others were poor. To the company you are just a number and they do not care about your career goals and desires for career advancement.
French tutor at a College level
French Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INJuly 12, 2016
I essentially worked for Purdue Northwest's Student Academic Support as a French tutor for a year. Three days a week for anywhere between 1-3 hours at a time, I would sit in the foreign language lab and tutor college level students learning the French language, from beginners to intermediate. This would be anything from reading and writing to basic pronunciation and grammar rules. The department was amazingly flexible with my work schedule, as I was a full-time undergraduate, and it was a huge help. I felt I had not only helped my fellow peers but that I found myself understanding more of the language myself. I had very little coworkers as we weren't scheduled much at the same time, but they seemed very nice when we would all attend the frequent team-building sessions. The hardest part of the job was not being able to answer certain questions right off the top of your head, but there's no greater reward than helping the student find the answer and learning it together, which I would have to say is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
The hours where I was able to complete school work
Cons
There wasn't really any room for growth or benefits.
Horrible management....
REFRIGERATION MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJuly 9, 2016
Poor morale amongst employees in all departments. High turn over rate currently Purdue is having issues getting people to work for them due to word of mouth and extremely low pay. In the first 8 months of my employment Purdue lost almost half of the people in my skilled trade for the campus. It's a very weird culture never worked anywhere like Purdue University. Seems like Purdue is still stuck in the 50's. Very old mentality and thought process in management. This creates a rough job culture and a odd unsatisfying place to work. Currently instead of training the employees Purdue instead will have outside contractors come in and eliminate your position. Raise's depend on who you know or who your related to. When there is a raise it's very minimal. Nepotism is very evident and unbelievable. Job advancement is there for employees who are related to people in high positions. There are alot of people in management with no management background and no classes or training toward management or supervising employee. Skilled trades have absolutely no training. Working at a university a place of education you'd think training would be highly valued but it is not. Extremely low pay and extremely high expectations. More than normal stress on the day to day job from incredibly high expectations lack of training and lack of support from management. Evaluation process is horrible. All safety regulations in all aspects of your job is on your shoulders. More than normal responsabilities for employees and insufficient support from management. Stay away from positions in operations and maintenance  more... due to endless budget cuts and extremely low staff/shadow crew which will add stress to your daily working experience. Hard workers in skilled trades are no longer valued. If they want to get rid of your position they will. Buildings and equipment are literally falling apart but Purdue will continue to nickle and dime repairs. Human resources is not there to help employees it's there to protect and look out for the best interest of Purdue University.

Good benefits package.
Pros
Descent benefits package
Cons
Cons are listed in the description
Excellent University
Student (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJuly 7, 2016
Excellent university with a great learning environment and outstanding professors. I'm glad I went here to earn my degree. Boiler up!
Video Editor/Videographer (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJuly 5, 2016
I worked at the Department of Science of Information as a video editor. The atmosphere was great, the management was approachable and friendly, I was allowed a fair amount of freedom with my work, and I was never wanting for answers if I ever got stuck.
Pros
Great management, friendly environment
Cons
Days could be slow
Student Assistant
Faculty Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJune 7, 2016
I was a student assistant in the student success office part time during the school year. The people who I worked with were very encouraging and took their mentor role to me seriously which I appreciate. The schedule was very flexible. Good experience
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
minimum wage
Excellent environment for studying
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJune 2, 2016
I spend 2 years of my undergraduate life at Purdue University. I have learned a lot and made many friends. It is a very good place for studying and working.
Productive Workspace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 30, 2016
It is a good place to work
No pressure from professors
The best part of job is to gain experience in teaching
Good Management
Not many perks
Nice school
Graduate Research Assistant, College of Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMay 25, 2016
As a Phd student at the Pharmacy School of Purdue University, you will get an organized study plan the first day you join. This is really helpful for you to stay on plan and graduate on time.
Very Benefitial
Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 19, 2016
The school did a wonderful job of allowing each student to get great experience working in the office. The instructors and supervisors were phenomenal and understanding of school as well as other factors. They provide good opportunities for growth and training.
Be careful of coworker evaluations.
Trdesman (Former Employee) –  Physical FacilitiesMay 12, 2016
I was hired as a top level tradesman, but because I chose to perform the job duties differently than a couple of senior employees who did my training evaluation, I am no longer with Purdue before my probation period is even up. The benefits are outstanding and the pay is acceptable. Skilled tradesman training leaves something to be desired, but if you don't fit into your coworkers clique, then I would not recommend making long term plans for employment.
Pros
Benefits, flexible schedule, pay, and working conditions.
Cons
Too much emphasis on coworker opinions, Not allowing sufficient time to acclimate to performing duties the Purdue way
Supportive Environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMay 2, 2016
A supportive faculty that is glad to provide you with opportunities and experiences that will prepare you for future careers.
I was responsible for cleaning buildings
Custodian (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 19, 2016
I swept and moped floors. I vacuumed floors, cleaned and stocked restrooms. I emptied thrash and recycling. I also stripped and waxed floors.
Very political, not proactive in recognizing staff, low salaries and no raises
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INApril 16, 2016
Very low compensation, yet they require a great deal from the staff, and have not had any raises for employees since 2006.
Pros
some benefits - insurance but still not the bes
Cons
low salaried, no raises, staff there seems to fight, high egos.
Productive and Fun work place
Faculty Senate Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 13, 2016
Last minute changes is well manged at faculty senate meeting.
Supervisor are very helpful and friendly.
Management is excellent.
The most enjoyable part of job is meeting with different background people and attending snack break time with faculty.
Pros
Free lunch and Snacks
works well with school schedule
Student Orientation Leader (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 12, 2016
PU works well with a students schedule making work around classes instead of the other way around. Enjoyable work environment.
Student Library Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 10, 2016
Currently a full-time student, the days are typically hectic considering I take 5 classes. As a former employee in the library it was an OK job to have, easy money to make. I would go back. And they're very flexible with the school schedules.
Amazing experience as a student
Design of Experiments and Data Analysis Project (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 8, 2016
Learning
Enlightening
A great place to make progress as a student
It probably is one of the best places I have lived my entire life
Great School
Undergraduate Research (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 7, 2016
Purdue is a fantastic school full of endless opportunities. Purdue offers research as an option to do and is fun and exciting. The projects are interesting and enlightening to say the least.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purdue University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3