A leading luxury real estate development and home-building company specializing in high-end residential homes in the Los Angeles area has an immediate opening for a highly motivated Senior Structural Engineer/Project Manager. This role reports directly to the Vice President of Construction.
Candidate must be a self-motivated, dedicated, goal oriented individual, able to work independently on project assignments, reporting progress and providing information to team members, visitors, and vendors, as required, as well as performing other tasks as assigned.
Who Are You
Understanding the entrepreneurial mindset, you have a passion for excellence and greatness, a proven achiever and polished professional, resourceful with an energetic demeanor and a proven track record of providing outstanding results.
A multi-tasking problem solver, you’re always looking for ways to improve things. No problem or deadline will overwhelm you because you know you’ll figure out a solution. Detail driven, your exceptional time management and organizational skills ensure you are always prepared to manage whatever is in front of you.
You are a team player who embodies QUIGG values, Authenticity, Integrity and Excellence, bringing a blue-collar work ethic to a white-collar world. You keep it simple and are obsessed with execution and results.
Leading interdisciplinary teams and overseeing all technical phases of planning, design, construction, and providing technical and financial oversight of multiple projects in differing stages of construction, ensuring flawless project delivery with a high level of attention to detail.
Reviewing civil and structural engineering design drawings and specifications, and other construction plans and ensuring compliance with plans, specifications, and client requirements on each project.
Monitoring project costs, identifying opportunities for improvement and/or savings and problem areas that may result in overruns. Reviewing with project staff, Vice President of Construction, how to best implement improvement opportunities and corrective measures to re-align any negative trends.
Keeping the Vice President of Construction informed as to the progress of the project and current status of all aspects of the project including Consultant, Contractor and Supplier performance and accountability.
Contracting with and managing third party providers. Serving as on-site project representative and coordinating consultants, construction, and material supply related to the design and construction of the projects. Directing all field personnel to achieve completion of the project on schedule and within budget.
Promoting positive public and community relations as a representative of QUIGG. We provide a positive, entrepreneurial environment, where all team members are expected to contribute creative ideas every day. You will know the vision, strategy, and tactics of QUIGG by heart, and will always be one step ahead on where to apply them, looking for opportunities and contributing to the success of QUIGG.
Project Administration – ensuring conformance with plans and contractual provisions, track work progress, identify and resolve issues or conflicts, review and process submittals and change orders; prepare correspondence and reports, maintain accurate records.
Project Direction – directing the work flow consistent with the project schedule, communicating project priorities to field staff and subcontractors, coordinate construction meetings, maintaining daily diary of all activities and site conditions, and managing the punch list and closeout process through CEO/architect.
Construction Operations – leading and preparing engineering reports and solutions, preparing and reviewing structural engineering calculations and plans, formulating project schedule, ensuring that the proper methods and sequence of installation are followed, making and following through on schedule commitments, and maintaining the company's quality standards.
Subcontractor Relationships - maintaining good working relationships with all subcontractors on the project, developing relationships within the community which enhance business opportunities, and ensuring subcontractors are treated fairly.
Project Safety - understanding and administering the company's safety program to include all subcontractors, ensuring that all accidents/incidents are promptly reported and investigated, and assisting in safety inspections by outside agencies.
Client Relations – attend client meetings, address client questions and concerns, and acting as on-site representative.
Public Agencies – attend meetings with public authorities and agencies, obtain and process permits, ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Must be positive, hard working and tenacious, with a “CAN DO” attitude, enjoying a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and having the ability to work the hours necessary to complete projects and/or meet deadlines.
- Must have excellent judgment, be forward thinking, be highly resourceful and have the ability to be effective independently with little direction in a fast paced, deadline driven environment, being flexible and able to adapt to changes.
- Must have excellent analytical skills with an ability to think strategically and out of the box, paying attention to detail and having exquisite follow up and follow-through qualities, taking ownership and accountability.
- Must have a proven ability to maintain absolute confidentiality in all aspects of staff and company information
- Must have a high level of ethics, integrity and reliability, having a strong grasp of both “big picture” and “detail” issues.
- Must be willing to work long hours
- Must have a strong and current network of relevant relationships with Consultants, Subcontractors and Suppliers in the Los Angeles area
- Must be able to visualize, analyze and communicate project scope of work.
- Must have a high level of understanding of principles, practices, and methods of engineering analysis and design.
- Must be capable of independently evaluating, selecting, and applying engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to site development projects.
- Must have in-depth knowledge of all residential construction trade requirements and pricing, both rehabilitation and new construction.
- Must have ability to read and understand instructions to bidders, including but not limited to, General Conditions, Special Conditions and Specifications, Technical Specifications, Project Schedules and Scope of Work.
- Must have extensive, in-depth knowledge of residential building practices and regulations in California.
- Must have excellent ability to read blueprints and perform hand takeoffs
- Must have working knowledge of construction estimating software programs.
- Must have demonstrated ability in problem solving and negotiation, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions in a timely manner.
- Must have superior interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others in all levels of the organization to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Must have the ability to manage and grow client relationships and provide effective customer service.
- Must be extremely results-oriented, ensure delivery of appropriate products and services in an accurate, complete, and timely fashion.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and project management software.
A license to practice as a Registered Civil Engineer and/or Structural Engineer in California.
A Bachelors degree in Architecture, Construction Management or Engineering is required, with a Masters degree preferred.
Minimum of 5 - 7 years relevant work experience post graduation in luxury residential construction (in California) in roles of increasing responsibility in an engineering or project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution with a top tier real estate development or high-end construction firm required. Must have experience in building high-end homes in the $3,000,000 - $20,000,000+ range.
Must be proficient in Project Management and Scheduling software, MS Word and Excel.
This position is expected to be intense and accelerative, designed for someone who wants to grow rapidly within the company taking on more and, more, moving forward while replacing themselves, as the company expands.
Up to 20% above current salary – We are looking for the best and brightest candidates only. . If you are not employed but have a qualified job offer, we will improve that offer by up to 20%.
24-7 text/email availability is required and you must be able to respond to emails within 2 hours on evenings and weekends, although regular hours are usually only 7am to 5pm, Monday through Friday plus approximately two or three weekend days a month. You will be on call at all hours to deal with any emergencies that may arise and must be ready without question.
You will be based in Century City, California, working on projects throughout the Los Angeles area.