QBE FIRST Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 11, 2017
Great company taught me a lot. Enjoyed working there given several opportunities to move up in the company. Had a family feel to it. Great people to work with and work for.
Horrible Management/unethical business practices
Operations Manager/Insurance Servicing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 24, 2017
QBE, formally Balboa Insurance is of the worst places I've ever worked, topped only by retail. Management is beyond unethical, which then trickles down to employees, who are working with the general public's mortgages and reverse mortgages... It's no wonder QBE sold to National General. The Insurance Tracking portion hasn't been able to secure new clients/lenders in YEARS! !
Pros
Regular paycheck
Cons
Unethical business practices, unqualified management, zero job security
I loved my job at QBE
Data Entry Clerk/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAMarch 22, 2017
I learned so much in the 25 years I worked there. I managed employees and learned how to manage time and resources that were required by the clients. I worked very well with management and my manager taught me so much..They had a lot of incentive for our jobs we had something to look forward to. The hardest part of my job was trying not to get too close to employees and try to separate work and friendship. I really loved it there.
Pros
Incentive and advancement
Cons
Working long hours
Fun workplace
Insurance Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 11, 2016
Was working there as a temp for a few months. busy place to work and taking calls from customers of 3 major insurance companies for making a claim for the loss of their home
Pros
nice location
Cons
non
work was easy
Lost Drafts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 5, 2016
The work was easy to do and the time spent doing the work was well maintained. I loved the people that I worked beside. Management needed some work, many did not understand the job itself.
9 Years
Senior Lead Tax Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCAugust 22, 2016
Overall is was a good company to work for. The experience is much appreciated. Due to the knowledge gained from working at QBE, I opened a business of my own.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
nice place to work
Senior Operations Rep (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2016
There was just no job security. People were getting laid off left and right. Company kept bankrupting and the company changed buyers 3 times since I was employed there. They had a great benefit package. They had excellent bonuses and incentives. The people were great to work with. It was a nice comfortable environment. They had flexible shifts. Management was great.
poor place to work for and turn over is real high
BUSINESS PROCEDURE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 26, 2016
the turn over rate was bad and leadership was not together at all, I wouldn't send anybody to the job. Management was not together
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Goal and team oriented place to work
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 13, 2016
Always a goal driven place to work. Learned many skills including organization and customer service. Management was always hired within the company and very approachable about any situation. Loved working in a team oriented environment.
Professional, yet very down to Earth people
Senior UNIX Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2016
Four of the best years of my career; bar none. Management was amazing, and project management was stellar. One of those golden opportunities that you want to hold onto forever.
Best job ever!!
Funds Control/ Tax Line Setup (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 11, 2015
Very uplifting environment. All the associates seem happy to be at work. Management very helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job was the colleagues, they make you feel like a part of a family.
Pros
Great job
Cons
not a permanent position
Good entry level position
Condominium Data Tracking Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 10, 2015
Overall fine job, except you are kept as a contractor with no benefits for a looooong time. Management has a good attitude and there are many good people that work there.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
no benefits
Good Place to Work
Client Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 11, 2015
I loved working for this company as there was much room for advancement. However, there was favoritism within the departments and not everyone was treated fairly with attendance practices.
Not a bad company to work for until the jobs were moved offshore
Insurance Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Moon, PAJuly 29, 2015
Until the company started losing business in the force place business department and doing cut backs it was not a bad company to work for. There were bonuses and we had a decent amount of paid time off.
productive work environment
data entry (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 22, 2015
enjoyable company to work for, management was great and always willing to work with the staff. training was always provided I needed. management always made staff feel comfortable with birthday celebrations and other fun activities.
n/a
Senior Insurance Servicing Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 20, 2015
• Effectively assist with building a total of 400 trucks daily
• Efficiently produces in a manufacturing type setting, by frequent lifting and carrying of objects, standing for long hours each day, and using the flexibility of limbs and hand-eye coordination
• Takes proactive measures by performing routine maintenance checks on machinery to ensure the accurateness of quality
Was a great place to work
Insurance Servicing Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 11, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company many, many years ago. Very friendly co-workers and management. Management, as well as the store environment, has since changed.
Excellent location and great people to work with.
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  irvine,caMay 8, 2015
It was a great company, but too many changes in the company that lead to 4 massive layoffs in two years. It will hard for company to grow again.
Pros
benefits and good pay
Cons
overtime alway standard in this company and leadership is not best
Productive workplace victim of corporate downsizing
Insurance Operations Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 26, 2015
QBE First *was* a very strong team composed of a variety of highly skilled and talented workers, all departments dedicated in one way or another to providing the highest quality customer service to the mortgaging banks and their clients, specializing in the dwelling insurance marketplace.

The company *had* some of the highest tenured individuals out of any company I'd ever worked for previous, some of my colleagues having worked with QBE for over 30+ years. We had great benefits, a 401k company matched savings plan, and for the most part, very caring and attentive management in all departments.

However this all unfortunately changed as the company went into new management, and the corporation decided to make rather foolish decisions to save money and retain clients against their aggressive competition. Over the past couple of years, they began to cut every single department--regardless of the quality and productive success of the department or the individuals in the department.

Our processes and procedures are VERY complicated, and many people cannot meet the incredibly high standards, so when I say that we had a highly tenured team, I mean the people working had the absolute best quality and productivity throughout the company for many many years running, consistently.

The past two years were nothing short of a massacre of layoffs, increasing of standards and working hours beyond human ability to meet, the blocking of almost any ability to request vacation, punishment for unavoidable sick days, and the overall disillusionment of the workforce, followed by their
  more... layoff.

Most departments got decent severance packages, however when the work QBE outsourced was too much for the untrained and unskilled teams overseas, they attempted to hire us all back on as temps, which would invalidate our severance packages, make us not qualify for any benefits, and basically screw over anybody who decided to come back.

It is important to note: I used to LOVE working for this company. My team was very skilled, hard working, and everyone REALLY CARED about the company, it's clients, and providing the best quality care for their clients. They used to repay us in kind with good pay, reasonable hours (40hr workweek), and in treating us like adults and professionals. The work was always difficult, but we were motivated to continue, and we never complained, even after the company decided we were no longer people; we worked our hearts out until the company finally let us all go.

Layoffs are understandable, however everything leading up to them in the case of QBE was a gross attempt to force people to leave without their severances, or to get open to being fired for literally a single typo on a non-critical field, despite a lifetime of hard, loyal service.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits for full time employees
Cons
Unreasonably high standards of quality and productivity, 0 job security, beaten-down workforce after new management decisions
Productive, but Challenging Company
Sr. Insurance Servicing Representative (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 7, 2015
I loved QBE; however, there is room for improvement within leadership. Sometimes, listening helps. The employee moral has seriously dropped. I truly feel as employee's are taken for granted.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
The pay is not worth all of the work that is endured.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at QBE FIRST. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7