QIAGEN Employee Reviews

Challenging environment and upbeat atmosphere
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 27, 2017
Working with various research groups to carry out bench top experiments for R&D level work in next generation sequencing technologies. Would assist in weekly planning of experiments, lab management and data processing. Learned and mastered valuable lab and life skills. The most challenging aspect of the position was the inconsistency from week to week and being forced to being an employee that is readily able to adapt and move forward to drive results and meet project goals. The most enjoyable part of the position was the opportunity to start a brand new research project and lab from infancy and seeing a successful product come to fruition.
Pros
Company culture events
Steady Work Flow
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAFebruary 9, 2017
My typical work day consist of being on queue to answer any customer questions, shipping details, to create an credit and re-bill for an incorrect invoice. I would also process orders via telephone and or my assigned folder. I also assist my manager with other special projects to clear back logs and reports.

Management overall is not good, most communication is by email with very little development opportunities.

The culture, there is no culture at this company. The team/department morale is actually depressing.

The hardest part about my job is knowing that going above and beyond there's no reward. Hardly recognized.

The most enjoyable about my job now is that I am able to work from home.
Pros
We received catered lunches twice a month
Cons
no development opportunities
Management is Clueless
Manager (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDNovember 19, 2016
Management is driving company into the ground. They purge and rehire on an annual basis. Not a good play to grow your career.
I enjoyed working with the people I met at QIAGEN and many are now friends.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDNovember 17, 2016
The working environment is clean and very light filled. Most of the executives I worked with were very friendly and enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job is the constant reorganizing with resulting layoffs which are annually at this point. The most enjoyable part of my job is the friendly people.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Constant restructuring
Good Company
Assay Development Scientist (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 10, 2016
Good company to work. I worked only a year after acquisition. I cannot state anything more.I cannot say anything more. I cannot say anything more. I c
Great Work Atmosphere
Field Service Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CASeptember 7, 2016
I enjoyed working at Qiagen and they were a wonderful employer. My co-workers were amazing and I had the best boss. There was a lot of room for growth and they had amazing benefits,
Great company
Administrative Assistant / Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJune 3, 2016
Loved working at QIAGEN. Wonderful company that was very people oriented. Management was good, had a great group of people that I worked.
Great products with outstanding quality
Specialist, Government QuantiFERON Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 26, 2016
Qiagen represents testing and diagnostics that are market leaders in their respective areas. Their sample and assay technologies provide insight that laboratory and healthcare providers can utilize to improve their services and ultimately provide better patient care.

Working at Qiagen provided outstanding experience into the realm of diagnostics in the government market segment that is challenging and rewarding. Colleague collaborations and team work are priorities that create a strong bond among co-workers that is highly productive. Direct management is experienced, reliable and always willing to assist, providing guidance without micromanaging.

The most enjoyable aspect of working at Qiagen is the complexity of the government market as well as the experience with the vast layers involved in the various sales cycles.These are also the most difficult components.
Pros
quality, reliability, reproducibility, strong peer collaboration
Interesting Biochemical Industry Exposure
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MADecember 21, 2015
This internship revealed the job world to me and allowed for an of exposure to the biochemical tools available researchers and clinical technicians for molecular diagnostics. This position also helped bring the industrial side of chemistry into full light.
A typical day included lab cleaning, work in manufacturing, following diagnostic sops for product verification and quality assurance, and lab restock. I learned how to work with a variety of chemists, engineers and administration to execute all functions of laboratory testing, sop development and maintain the laboratory environment. Hardest part of the job was working repetitive motion jobs such as pipetting and labeling. The job was very rewarding when operating the diagnostic intrument: Modaplex. Understanding the theory of their real time pcr CE machine was quite fascinating.
A once wonderful company to work for in transition
clinical sales (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PADecember 14, 2015
Qiagen has a great diagnostic test (QuantiFERON) that is fun and interesting to sell. The sales team is great and always willing to collaborate. Partnering with lab colleagues to get the test to the end user (patients) is a plus.

While QuantiFERON is a great test to sell, the company is under great transition. Downsizing has occured in 2015 and 2013 with many looking to leave.
Benefits
Cons
Job uncertainty
The company has a broad range of molecular diagnostic products that address the needs of academia and clinical use.
Senior Director Molecular Marketing North America (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDOctober 24, 2015
The company was trying to transition from a life science focused organization to one that had more focus on clinical diagnostics and a higher regulatory requirement. The senior management was very engaged in the business. The colleagues were very passionate about the business, especially around women's health.
Good solid company
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MarylandAugust 4, 2015
New challenges everyday I was given a lot of high profile opportunities.- - worked on SFDC - CRM , BMRam ,

employees are very friendly and it is a nice place to work.
Productive Environment
Software Test Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 2, 2015
Wrote test cases, performed functional testing of biomedical diagnostics equipment - both software and hardware.
Learned installation of updated software an databases, learned some shell scripting, begin learning use of AP Test Manager.
Management was helpful and informative. We had regular meetings to update employees on company growth and status, unfortunately large contracts were lost and the entire facility was closed.
The hardest part was over 400 employees were laid off including myself.
The most enjoyable part was opportunity to showcase our work to company VPs and CEO, and opportunity to travel abroad.
Pros
Great benefits, free parking, onsite cafeteria, occasional happy hours.
Cons
The facility was closed.
summary
US Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Beverly, MAMay 31, 2015
good company to work for, good work/life balance, good benefits
too much overlay of positions and too much middle management
Great place and fun people
Receptionist, Assistant Facilities Engineering (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 30, 2015
Steady work place

Learned a lot about the front office

Management very supportive

Enjoyed meeting new people

The hardest part of the job was ordering for different departments and dealing with accounts payable.
Pros
Quiet front office
Cons
Had to go out and get mail from the box. Mail person didn't bring mail inside
A proactive building have a gym and a bowling team.
Building Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 3, 2015
Do rounds making sure everything running great. What values to open and close safety is the way to go. My managers are real nice they teaches me new things and take time to show me. we all jokes around we like family. the hardest part of my day is getting up in the morning. Friday afternoon when its time to go start your weekend
Pros
uniforms
Cons
dont have one
Positive work environment with positive people.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 19, 2015
Positive work environment with positive people. Worked Monday through Friday 10am-2pm. Covered for the front desk receptionist during breaks and lunch breaks. Also was in charge of the mail room, distributing mail throughout the building to the different departments. Handled UPS shipping packages as well.
Pros
Cafeteria is available and breaks are given.
Cons
It is hard to grow or get a job in the company, partly due to constant job freezes.
challenge works with lot of opportunities to learn new skills.
Production Tech Support Scientist I (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 7, 2015
I worked beside the production group to provide tech supports on daily operation.
I completed a production process improvement project.
I learned the process of GMP equipment's maintenance.
I learned how to manage a team to complete daily work.
I love my team and we helps together to have our job done in a right way.
I enjoy the the feeling when I step out of company at the end of day and have all of the planned works done with no mistake.
Senior Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 3, 2014
I've been with Qiagen for two years and have been impressed with my experience so far.

The management is very good about listening and taking your interests into consideration when assigning projects and setting long-term career goals. It's refreshing to work in an environment where you feel like you're being heard and not merely treated like a – more... number.

We certainly work hard at Qiagen everyday, but we also make sure to balance it with happy hours, company picnics, free lunches and fun.
global company
Senior Director Global Business Program Lead MDx (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 9, 2013
diverse culture, quality products, global, matrix structure,
Pros
global