The Vice President of Communications is responsible for brand management for the Quad Cities Chamber of Commerce. The VP is responsible for building awareness and understanding of the Chamber’s mission, accomplishments and community impact among key constituencies, including the Board of Directors, Chamber members and public officials. This position develops key messages that establish the Chamber as a leader and reinforce Chamber strategic priorities as important to regional success. This position actively seeks and identifies opportunities for the CEO, Board of Directors, staff managers and others to advance the Chamber’s mission, priorities and goals through such vehicles as speaking engagements, presentations, media releases, interviews and guest columns. This position oversees and approves the visual and editorial content of all Chamber materials and communications, setting the tone for top-notch writing, design and production to support the Chamber’s professional image. The position is directly involved in writing and editing a range of materials, managing and coordinating all media relations, and proactively coaching identified spokespersons so that all communications highlight the work and profile of the Chamber.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Directs the development and execution of a comprehensive communications plan and budget that supports the work of all Chamber functions in achieving the organization’s goals.
- Supervises and directs the activities of communications professionals with varying degrees of responsibility in the areas of media relations, marketing, communications, research and events.
- Actively creates and / or seizes opportunities to share daily / weekly Chamber messages with key constituencies, including various Chamber boards, investors, members, public officials and the public in order to foster strong public relations for the Chamber.
- Prepares and / or directs development of key messages for use by CEO, staff managers, Board Members and others in advancing the understanding of the Chamber’s work, role, relevance and impact in the community.
- Ensures organization-wide adherence to high-quality content and production of a wide range of Chamber materials in print and electronic formats including, but not limited to, fact sheets, newsletters, membership materials, annual reports, event invitations, articles, brochures, and media releases, and ensures all present a positive and professional image for the Chamber.
- Oversees the production of special events such as Report to the Region and the Chamber Annual Meeting, which would include, but not be limited to, selecting speakers, developing compelling messaging and print / video materials, and coordinating media relations that convey these as premier business community events.
- Works as part of the Executive Management Team to provide leadership to the organization and advance its strategic priorities.
- Works with Quad Cities First to develop and execute a regional business attraction communications plan, including a strong, up-to-date website and state-of-the-art marketing strategies and materials.Works with economic development staff to craft responses to economic development requests for information.
- Develops marketing opportunities for Chamber members in publications and electronic communication vehicles.
- Represents the Chamber in a positive and professional manner at work and through community involvement.
- Performs other duties as required.
The VP, Communications reports to the COO and manages a staff of professionals with varying degrees of responsibility in the areas of media relations, marketing, communications, research and events.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field required.
- 5-8 years of progressively responsible experience in marketing, public relations &communications (non-profit experience preferred).
- Experience with developing layouts for publications and experience placing stories and messages in major media markets a plus.
- Previous experience creating and managing a budget for a department or division of organization.
- 3-5 years previous management and supervisory experience.
- Must have strong writing, editing and proofreading skills as well as excellent interpersonal and public communication / presentation skills.
- Must be able to build and maintain strong working relationships in and outside the office.
- Web content development highly desirable
- Must be able to interact professionally and comfortably with high net worth clients and prospects in support of the Chamber’s marketing efforts.
- Must possess strong organization and time-management skills.
- Must possess strong analytical skills.
- Must be able to receive and process non-public, personal information with high regard for privacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Availability to work occasional non-traditional hours (early mornings, evenings, weekends).
- Knowledgeable of the community, its leaders and dynamics a plus; must take initiative to educate him/herself on new programs and current events.
- Ability to make decisions, using the goals and budget of the organization to aid in making proper choices and consulting with co-workers to seek varying viewpoints.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and membership database software.
- Proficient in cutting edge technologies and social media.
- Adobe Creative Suite Experience highly desirable
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment, including telephone, calculator, computer, printer, fax, and copier.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 10 to 25 pounds on a regular basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
The Quad Cities Chamber of Commerce is the community and economic development organization serving western Illinois and eastern Iowa. As the...