Qualcomm Employee Reviews

keeping safety and working professional scenery.
Public Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2017
I would considered average, Its a legitimate company to work,
In my behalf as a worker and I enjoy it. I love to work so far.
In consideration of well being cleanliness.
Pros
serving my own dish is fun
Cons
I love the way that building strategy.
Enjoyable work environment
Equipment Support Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 21, 2017
Company offered many training options in equip maint. Trained on many tool sets. There was a pool and ping pong table in the break room as well as direct tv for our viewing pleasure. It is a good company.
Pros
The people
Cons
tool break downs.
Great Co-Workers, terrible company
Admin Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2017
I work in support services, the team I work with is kind, helpful and accommodating.

The company my team works for is ruthlessly exploitative and cares not a bit for the people who work for them. My admin team is comprised of 80% temporary employees, and we enjoy perks such as:
Minimum wage

Promises of no merit increases (yes, this is true.)

No access to skills development tools (full time employees only)

No promotion opportunities, it literally doesn't matter if you work hard or not, they compensate you the same, and this has been stated to me several times through the temp company they rent us through.

Here's the kicker:

They recently just switched to an outsourced temp company from outside the country, and everyone on our team must reapply for the jobs they just had. This includes the team members that were Qualcomm employees.

That's right, they actually bumped their dedicated, long term employees to temp status.

They still pay their average engineers close to 6 figures, but they won't even consider paying the support 1/3 of that, and will happily oust the people that have given most of their adult lives to the company to save a few bucks.

Of course, with every company that exploits it's help, we are also overworked, but I won't bore you with the details.

If this sounds like I'm angry, you're absolutely right, this is a meat grinder, not a job.
Great company
Senior Customs Specialist, Import Department (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92121July 12, 2017
Excellent benefits and amazing co-workers. Truly an innovative company. The workplace culture was an exciting one, but the hours were quite long and often ran over into the weekend. My team was incredible and my direct manager was the best I've ever had.
Pros
good pay and benefits, innovative technology, good team dynamic
Cons
long hours, not a good balance of work/life/family on the hole
Good place to work.
System Integration and Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2017
Place really serves as platform to launch our career. Many classes are available to expand our horizon and also work life balance is good. For wireless folks, it is a dream place to work at.
Qualcomm is AWESOME
Telecom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 5, 2017
Qualcomm is AWESOME Experience. Huge Company. Global Reach. Mega Training opportunity. Great Benefits. Great Co-Workers and Management. Recommend for all.
very fast moving pace and challenge tasks
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2017
very fast moving pace and challenge tasks
frequent interactions and coordination with China team
overseas travel
customer first
good management
learnt a lot on semiconductor business and supply chain
Exciting Technology, Fast-Paced Environment, Sub-Par Leadership
Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 28, 2017
Pros:
+ Great co-workers
+ New/Exciting Technology
+ Good Benefits (though many have been reduced/eliminated last three years)
+ Several Divisions allowing you to branch out in different areas
+ Nice facilities/campus

Cons:
- To be part of and/or succeed in upper management you must be part of the "right" group - often these groups are cultural/race based (ie Asian, Indian, etc).
- Leadership is chosen based on who you know, not what you know or what you have accomplished
- Poor Work/Life balance
Change in order to move forward
Director, Technical Marketing (Current Employee) –  JohannesburgJune 22, 2017
Change is at the base for survival for today's technology companies. Developing cutting edge technologies is a risky business and not all will make it. Keep adapting, fine tune strategies, turn around and believe in it. But also kill what doesn't work. Be bold.

My daily job is not different: influence the customers, push technology agenda, make them adopt most favorable technologies and lobby at all levels.

The hardest part is to make Africa relevant in a global context. What I enjoy the most is to be able to regularly meet with top companies such as OTT players and consumer's ODM as well as mobile network operators and their suppliers.
Pros
Stocks
Cons
Burocracy
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 19, 2017
The work environment and culture here was awesome, the supervisors 1st and 2nd which was the lead was easy to come to for any situations and the people that they hired meshed well with the exiting crew.
Pros
great group
Engineering favored
Planner Associate, Operations (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 19, 2017
Compensation/Benefits and Advancement seem to be a major focus on engineering vs other business units. Work life balance depends on the size of your dept. Some departments are funded very well while others seem to struggle even if needed,
Pros
Health center reimbursement
Cons
Advancement is weak unless within engineering or small departments
It was so much better in the past
Various Positions Held (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2017
Qualcomm has changed a lot, from an exciting innovator where you could learn amazing things and wear several hats, to a soulless sweatshop powered by H1B's with pigeonholed positions overseen by VP's who really don't care about their people and will keep you down in a rut.

They fell in large part due to mismanaging their success, chip manufacturing with their license scheme brought the company to just this side of patent troll, they shed their innovation and rebuilt themselves focused on license revenue, and to limit the scope and reach of any one worker, while directors and above silo'd up and protected their bonuses by keeping costs down with H1B's and using marginalization + PIP's to oust higher paid senior personnel.

Not that you can't come here and make some decent money, but don't expect to advance, or stay all that long, or really to have any exciting, satisfying work.

It's sad, really, when I think about how wonderful this company was at one time.
Pros
Easy work without much thought required.
Cons
Long hours, no technical challenges, no advancement, no future.
very fun place to work in!
Stadium Manager- Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2017
Your job duties might include but are not limited to cashiering helping and serving people, cooking, cleaning, in charge of registers and inventory.

People are great to work with there

You are in a fast paced setting
Pros
you get to meet people from all over the world!
Cons
Not the best Lunch is given you get a hotdog or pretzel with a soda for lunch
Needs Help w Corporate Culture
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2017
As a growing and aging tech company will do, the stockholders have taken over and slowly taken away all the good things that make working for such a fast pace/stressful company worth while. Turnover has increased steadily over the last few years.
Depends on the team and manager
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 7, 2017
Average place to work for. Lot of politics and favoritism. In short, it depends on which team you work for. If you manager and team is good then you would like Qualcomm.
Pros
stability
Cons
poor management, favoritism
Great people, high tech, competitive salary and benefits
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2017
Competent staff, high end equipment, industry leading processes. Good pay and benefits. Competitive products and technology in a facilitating environment.
QCT Engineering
Principal Engineer / Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2017
Global company with very fast-paced engineering. Short product life-cycles and a focus on cost-reduction. Teams are large. Generally, merit-based advancement.
Mediocre place to work at if you are interested in embedded software
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2017
Everyone is a "lifer". Would not recommend to young engineers. Good part is most people are competent, but managers tend not to care. Promotions from Engineer to Senior Engineer is mostly time dependent regardless of contributions.
Not the great company it used to be
Network Engineer in the NOC (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 1, 2017
Qualcomm was a great company when the founder was the CEO. Ever since he retired the company was no longer fun to work for. Moral was just shot down with no longer doing things for the employees and benefits got to be just so mediocre.
Old Qualcomm vs New Qualcomm
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2017
After new CEO took over some years back, it's no longer what we used to feel proud and happy to work for. Many many people are leaving (as of May 2017)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qualcomm. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2