Qualcomm Employee Reviews

An exciting and creative workplace with great colleagues
Senior Staff Engineer / Manager Pixtronix (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 4, 2016
I worked in a small development team to design, manufacture, and test innovative MEMS display technology. It was a terrific and highly rewarding experience. A small team with dynamic projects and a desire to use innovation to solve problems. All projects were cross functional and involved creation, design, simulation, manufacture, test, characterization, and reliability of arrayed MEMS structures. Manufacturing and characterization occurred in an on-site pilot fab. Larger scale manufacturing was done through transfer of technology to overseas LCD fab. It was great to see the first 7" displays roll off the production lines.
Pros
Availability of tools to accelerate design and production cycle
Cons
Not enough time to get the technology to market
Great Place with endless technical opportunities.
MANAGER NEW PRODUCT SUPPORT ENGINEERING (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2014
There really was not a typical work day, one day I might be setting up a network or testing for production yields.
I traveled extensively to Asia and South America.
I setup networks to communicate through a secure VPN on both continents.
I also setup a packout facility in Memphis TN.all yield information transferred to the Database In San Diego via a private network.
I was responsible for the design and development of a provisioning station that allowed a single PC to upgrade software on 8 devices simultaneously and communicate via the network, these stations are still being used in production of current products
Pros
always a good technical challenge!
Cons
it was a common occurrence to have a very tight time constraint
Fun workplace
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2015
Qualcomm has a very good work culture with huge learning resources. You get to work along with very intelligent and experienced co-workers. Most of the teams follow agile methodologies, so develop and release cycle is of 2 weeks.

As a programmer, you get to work on independent tasks as well as pair programming tasks. It's an even mix. It's very important to stick to deadlines a lot of trust exists when an individual promises a deadline. The mantra to stay focused is to differentiate between need to have features vs nice to have. You are given the liberty to innovate and execute tasks.
Pros
Good environment to learn, tremendous learning opportunities, Lot of independence in executing tasks.
Cons
Company too focused on few products, lack of vision and roadmap.
16+ Great Years...
Building Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2015
Typical day began with coordinating custodial coverage for 18 buildings, and or events if scheduled. Emailed coverage to Management daily. Went out on the field and ensured work being done was at an exceptional level for our many customers. Throughout my many years I've learned quite a bit. With such a diverse group of employees I was able to learn the many different work cultures and made many friends from all over the world. The most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside my peers that have become great lifelong friends, and getting to know each and every custodian under my direction and highlighting there strengths to encourage them to reach high.
Pros
benefits, co-workers...
Cons
the whole do more with less concept...
Involved with leading edge mobile phone design
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2015
The typical day involved integrating Qualcomm chip sets into demonstration phones for carrier evaluation.

The amount I learned there would fill a textbook. A cutting edge environment for sure.

Management, like at many growing companies, evolved from outstanding and engineering focused and involved to stock price focused and distant.

I had brilliant coworkers with whom I worked with as a valued member of a team.

Due to the politics of the industry, the schedules were tough.

The work atmosphere and the cutting edge engineering were the most enjoyable parts of the job.
Pros
awesome benefits, great work environment, brilliant staff
Cons
hardware/software coordination exacerbated by schedules
Worked with a world class finance/accounting team, always interacting, had alot of fun, developed many relationships
Senior Financial Analyst / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaSeptember 8, 2014
Developed many amazing professional relationships and many friendships. It was an intense environment with high expectations, but also very rewarding.

The groups/individuals accomplishments were very visible which gave a lot of pride and moral to the team.

I enjoyed interacting with many members of the internal finance team and also with members of our sales, customer service, other finance teams, operations, shipping. Also enjoyed working with the external customers and 3rd parties on many occasions.
Pros
great team / chemistry
Cons
sometimes long hours due to time zones of international business
Aggressive schedules, long hours, too many status meetings
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 11, 2014
The first thing that I noticed at this company is they have tons of meetings. As someone on glassdoor put it, 20% of the people do the work and 80% ask status. Lot of layers of management. Even some engineers end up just tracking status, once promoted to lead or manager. Most of the work is pushed down to junior engineers, who need to spend long hours and weekends to get work done. There's lot of talk and email about work life balance, so there maybe a chance that other groups are better.
Experienced people hired are not treated on par with people who have been here a while but with comparable years of experience. Apparently Qualcomm's is not growing fast now.
Compensation is good - salary + RSUs.
Challenging yet rewarding.
System Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2014
Great place to work. Typically, I'd come in early, complete my daily reports and then move on to projects for the remainder of the day. I was given a lot of freedom to find inefficiencies and streamline them to make them easier for the group/ organization. I often worked with managers and directors closely to identify and locate problems that needed to be solved. The most rewarding part was solving these puzzles - finding and fixing bottlenecks within the IT/operations infrastructure. Most enjoyable part of the job was having the freedom to be creative and work with many different people on projects.
Pros
evaluated on performance, 2 merit cycles + bonus' per year, healthcare, great boss.
Productive challenging workplace with engineers willing to show you the technological ropes.
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2013
Twelve hour days allowed for a lot of work to be accomplished. I learned what type of work environment I thrive and excel in. . Co workers were always willing to help out and learn something new. Hardest part of the job was the twelve hour days take a toll tward the end of the day. Most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day, knowing that I was working on the cutting edge of technology. They would allow me to leave work early so I could go to school full time and work full time.
Pros
free lunches and vending machines, work/school scheduling
Cons
attitude of younger engineers
Productive environment, was able to attend the gym on my lunch breaks, but the overall job security isnt very secure.
Industrial Security Specialist, CPSO (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 26, 2015
Had great coworkers who I was able to attend the gym with daily if our schedules permitted, however, the job itself didn't award growth opportunities or secure employment due to the economy and lack of Government budget. Since I have a family to raise, job security is key and I would like to have the ability to grow within my position and move forward in my career continuing to support my family and their needs.
Pros
Free snacks, gym usage, we were awarded stocks and free medical benefits which made my salary about $73, 000
Cons
Overall lack of job security for future.

Want to know more about Qualcomm?

Ask a question
Honest knowledgeable management
SENIOR ANALOG RF LAYOUT DESIGN ENGINEER (Contract) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 22, 2014
Honest and knowledgeable management
Always newest and up to date software and hardware (Eg. Dual 30 inch monitors for design)
Honest and knowledgeable HR Department
Fantastic benefits (Eg. health care insurance with no out of paycheck contribution)
Honest, ethical and very knowledgeable coworkers
Fairness
Good compensation package
Fitness Center and activities available and paid by the company
Honest and ethical HR policies forcing management to honest and ethical behavior
Ideal Employer
Pros
honest and ethical hr policies forcing management to honest and ethical behavior
Cons
high cost of living in the area
Great company for software engineers not for facilities.
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 9, 2015
Modified and maintained a 3000 KW and 4500 KW cogen plant by performing PM's and modifying existing equipment to
meet company needs. Maintained records and permits like APCD to maintain a cogen status in California. Performed
electrical work per NFPA70E and OSHA standards. Successful in developing energy-saving programs and working with
program administrators and local clients to determine and quantify energy efficiency measures. Plant operator focused
on increasing organizational efficiency and productivity by guaranteeing that facilities and equipment are kept in optimal
running condition.
Very Productive company
Modem Test Engineer/Lab Troubleshoot (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJAugust 30, 2015
I loved working at Qualcomm. First of all pay is good and everything is very organized. Job security is a major issue as Temporary employees can get laid off anytime as they are independent contractors not Permanent employees. I have worked very hard to make a difference in bringing up my team and in doing that i have learned a lot in Lab Troubleshoot/ Modem failures and testing and working on IOS and Android devices.
Pros
Friendly and working environment, Organized company, latest software and hardware developments of IOS and Android devices.
Cons
Too much pressure of work, Job security for Temporary employees
Great place to work on leading technologies
Staff Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2015
Qualcomm is a technology focused organization that has led the mobile revolution. Engineers can feel good having worked on technologies used in popular products available in the market. Always brought joy to my face when my children pointed at devices in the store/mall and cheered that their dad worked on that device.

Qualcomm has built great engineering teams across the world to scale and support customers at their physical locations. The advantage of this is that customers get support in their time zone, the disadvantage is that the people in US can get sucked into working really long hours.
Summer Intern
Summer Intern, (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2014
I was an Intern for a summer at Qualcomm so I do not have enough expirence to provide valuable feedback. However, during my time there I was given many projects where I was the project lead and the culture was a very fun and enjoyable to be a part of. I was part of the IT Finance team that implemented a new Oracle ERP system which was a great expirence and something that helps me everyday in my current role.

Management was very hepful and truly cared about the growth and expirence during my time as an Intern. I would highly recommend working at Qualcomm.
Pros
discount lunches, many team building events, great envoirnment to work and learn in
An incredible work environment with managers that encouraged training and growth.
Marketing Manager, QES (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 13, 2012
Work was usually the standard (length) work day, that included meetings in an effort to create a synergy that would ensure quality products and services. I was fortunate enough to have worked with a team that no matter the circumstances, everyone would always volunteer to help. I think the hardest part of the job was managing personalities of the executive team and learning how to approach them on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job was that everyone worked incredibly well together.
Pros
healthcare facility, gym, cafeteria, etc., on-site
Fun and productive work place
Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2013
A typical day at work was more or less not typical. Each day presented its issues that needed to be fixed and an extremely fun group of people working on fixing those issues. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with what was coming up next in the industry, this was mostly due to many hours of hard work on the ground floor. We trusted our management team to do that part and they did with flying colors. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people who were not only inclined to learn more every day, they were also inclined to teach each other.
Pros
free drinks and wonderful company parties
A great company and great benefits
Integrated circuit mask layout designer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2015
Qualcomm is the leader in Integrated Circuit Design that is primarily
focused on IC chips for the mobile phone industry.

The work environment is good and let's the employee focus on his/her task at hand with minimal disruption.

The software tools that are used for the IC mask design are state of the art (Cadence, Virtuoso suite of IC mask design software)

The health benefits are top notch and the available programs to save for your financial future (401 k and the stock option plan) are also available for the employee
Pros
Free coffee and soft drinks. Vending machines throughout
Work and academic Summary
Chip Level Verification Engineer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 16, 2014
Currently I am working in a contracting position at Qualcomm, Raleigh, NC as a Chip Level Verification Engineer. As a part of this position my responsibilities include verification of debug subsystem of the ASIC at full chip level by developing constrained random based test-bench and test cases , preparing and implementing detailed test plans for design modules and tracking tests against test plans, resolve test failures using ARM AMBA protocols (AXI, AHB, APB). This experience has given me the knowledge as well as the confidence to venture for challenging full time positions .
Best place to work for...
Accounting Processor I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 13, 2014
• Pre-coding and processing supplier invoices. Coding invoices with required accounting verify and ensure signature requirements are met, match invoices to receipts and purchase orders, entering invoices into Oracle in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Auditing and validating final invoice batches to ensure payment integrity is maintained. Research/resolve billing discrepancies through communication with suppliers and internal personnel. Mail Services and learned the new Mark View Imaging Program for scanning invoices.
• Processed a total of 80 to 100 invoices a day