Qualstar Credit Union Employee Reviews

Worse company to work for
various (Current Employee) –  RedmondSeptember 28, 2015
To many company politics. Unless you are part of the upper management click that has been there for 10+ years you mean nothing to them. No room for advancement in the company, they say there is and that they like to promote from within but they hardly ever do. Benefits seem good on paper but insurance coverage sucks and you never see anything about your pension plan, you can't even see the balance of it plus there starting pay is super low compared to other companies.
Upper management will do whatever they have to, to cover there own rears, they fired a fraud manager for something he had no control over just so they wouldn't have to fire there VP who is part of there click. They work in very shady ways, I would never recommend this company to anyone who wants to keep there sanity, it is a very toxic work environment.
Pros
lots of parties and free food
Cons
mico-managed is an understatement, they fire new hires if they are not catching on within the first 2 weeks of being hands on

Comment – October 22, 2015

I always appreciate employees sharing their insight with us. I wanted to respond and let you know that I am concerned that this is how you feel as a Qualstar employee, and honestly, a little confused by some of your comments. We have a very strong track record for promoting from within. Just using our management staff as an example, we have 26 managers, of which 16 have been promoted from within. Having started with the credit union as a part time teller while in college myself, I am very committed to finding opportunities for employees to move up within the organization. Of course, due to commitment to promoting from within, we have ended up with many long-term employees on our management team. Regarding our insurance benefits, we pay 100% of the employee premiums for our base medical insurance plan and 50% of dependent coverage as well. We actually returned to our current provider at the request of employees who weren’t happy when we moved away from them a few years ago. I’m sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience with the benefit. It’s difficult to speak to your comment about not being able to get information about the pension program. Annual statements are provided to staff, but we are always happy to put employees in touch with the company who manages the pension plan if you have specific questions related to your personal situation. We are very proud to offer employees both a 401K with a 4% match as well as a Pension Program – it is not very common that companies provide both to employees these days. Regarding your comment about specific employees leaving  more... the company, unfortunately we cannot discuss HR issues as that is both against HR best practices, and is also inappropriate. What I can say is that the information you seem to have is not accurate, and I am disappointed to have it shared in a public forum. As I say frequently in my CEO updates to staff, my door is always open. I would love the opportunity to discuss your feelings about Qualstar in person. If you are not comfortable with that, however, we will be sending out an employee engagement survey in November which will be another opportunity for us to gain feedback and look for those area that we can make improvements.

Sincerely, Mark Nelson, President/CEO

teller/ business developement
Business Development/Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 6, 2015
Great opportunity to learn many facets of banking. Awesome co-workers. The best CEO ever, nice hours, fun exciting job. A lot of on the job training
Pros
CEO
Cons
no loyalty to former employees/ good old boy system/no minority management
Branch Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WAJune 2, 2013
Easy going atmosphere, fun coworkers. Management was always around to help out if needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qualstar Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3