Queens Community House Employee Reviews

Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 14, 2017
My supervisor taught me everything i need to know. I assist him in my former high school that i used to attend. You would do Alot of paper work and computer work.
Best Summer job ever
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYAugust 11, 2017
Great staff. From upper management to staff. Everyone worked well with one another. Coworkers became friends with each other. No egos just fun. The kids were absolutely incredible. Respectful and fun to be around.
Work was interesting
Forest Hills - Intern (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYJuly 20, 2017
Working here was very interesting. A lot of Russians lived in the area and hearing their language amazed me in this office job. I learned very few words but I still enjoyed myself as I filed and sorted their confidential files.
Dcent Summer Job
Counselor/Program Aid (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 13, 2017
I worked particularly in Pomonok, Queens which isn't such a great area to hang about after certain hours. Many of the children attending the summer camp have serious behavioral issues. Heavy supervision is crucial.
Wishing to do it again
SYEP (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 24, 2017
QCH was a really great experience , all of my co-workers were very fun to work with . It was the best summer I've ever had. I would love to do it again this summer.
A typical Day at work
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 22, 2017
A typical day at work involves being greeted by the participants upon their arrival to the after school program. I would hand out and tally the snacks then take attendance. The participants get into their respective line spots and we head to the classroom where they get to complete their homework then afterwards i start the activity for the day.Hardest part of the job is knowing not all participants are the same and you will find ones that will challenge your authority. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to have fun with the participants and enjoy the interactive environment.
Pros
Paid trainings and meetings, Nice staff and environment
Cons
Short Breaks
Cool place to interact with kids and learn new skills
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 22, 2017
I loved my experience their. The kids are a handful as usual but co workers are nice to be around. Not much oppurtunity for advancement but overall solid place to work in the summer.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYApril 28, 2017
The work place is a loving and warm environment to work in. It is a great place were you can help other young kids be just as great. Everyone helps each other out and make sure we are enjoying our day.
Pros
Great supervisors
Community builders
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYApril 27, 2017
The Queens Community House is a great place to learn how to advocate and support for others. The Community started with just one program and later evolved to serve other areas of the community.
QCH is a growing organization that continues to be a pioneer in social service.
Pros
Various opportunities to career advancement
Cons
Non profit, relies on Government funding
After School Program
Activity Specialist (Literacy) (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 25, 2017
Queens Community House is a great after school program that gives students additional instruction in a fun, project-based format that promotes culture
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Too late
Family oriented
Assistant Director/Director of Counseling (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 4, 2017
Company lack of resources and benefits makes it difficult to thrive. No opportunity to grow with company. Company needs new leaders to make it a comfortable work environment.
Very productive and fulfilling job
Maintenance coordinator/ O.T.C Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work usually consisted of moving tables and chairs from room to room and also setting up and arranging rooms for different functions and events. During my time there, i've learned how to use different cleaning equipment as well as how to mix and manage chemicals used to clean floors, walls, mirrors and bathrooms. I also learned how to deal with elderly people on many different levels. Overall the management here is really good and welcoming. Co-workers were great, many different people wit different stories and backgrounds. To me the hardest part of the job was leaving the O.T.C kids, and for me, the most enjoyable part of my job was working with and teaching the kids things and helping people in general.
Great staff
Site monitor (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYJanuary 5, 2017
The workers are very fun to work with. They are very friendly and understanding. I definitely enjoyed working there and spending my summer with the QCH staff.
Queens Community House
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Overall program offered a lot of learning and training opportunities. There were issues with staffing due to low pay; however, it is a good place to gain experience.
Great community to work for.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYNovember 22, 2016
I did different things everyday. I loved working with the kids with autism. I cleaned and did other tasks. They had programs that my family and I could join such as a weight loss program.
Pros
Excellent benefit package
Cons
wages could be a little better
summer job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 29, 2016
For the summer that i worked as a camp counselor was a good way to continue building my experience in working with young children. i didn't work there long enough but but the people that i worked with were amazing with young children. I had never had any real experience outside of the few babysitting jobs i had done. i was able gain experience, and work with children off all different race. The hardest part of the job came when the summer ended and we had to say goodbye to the children we had come to know and love. the most enjoyable part was taking the children on field trips and seeing how excited they were to be going on a trip.
Pros
Getting to spend time with the children
Cons
It was hard too say goodbye to not only the staff members you had grown fond of, but also the students we have come to care a great deal about
fun work place
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NY 11375July 8, 2016
My typical day as a camp counselor was to watch over a group of kids while we went on trips around queens . What I was able to learn is how to mange a group of people who are younger then me . The management was very nice and easy going , however strict when they had to also the co-worker where like my age so it was very easy to talk to on another. The hardest part was how hot it would get however the most enjoyable part was that we got to go to different places.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
weather
fun workplace
Summer Camp Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Typical day at qch, its entertaining and academically creative. Working with my co-workers is ideally all young and full of energy. Hardest part of the job would be encountering rude parents. Most enjoyable part of the job my students having a good time in our classroom.
Pros
free snack
Cons
few hours
Schooling
Group Leader/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 20, 2015
Very good and safe zone to be at. always hand of work and management skill is excellent. my co workers were the best, always helped each other out. more team work. the most enjoyable parts are the trips with students to different place and activities with students
Pros
education
Cons
school
fun workplace
Junior Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMarch 4, 2015
Enjoy working at a fast pace
The children are awesome ...
my co-workers are very helpful
the work I do here is very fun to do