Queens Library

Queens Library Employee Reviews

Great Customer Service
Volunteer (Former Employee), Ozone Park, NYJune 8, 2015
Most days I would be in an office checking the inventory. I learned how a business functions behind the counter. The co-workers were kind and provided great service to the customers. The hardest part of the job was repackaging materials. The most enjoyable part was the bookkeeping.
nice management
Customer Service (Current Employee), Flushing, NYMay 27, 2015
queens library is a wonderful place for adult and children. queens library stuff help children to do their home work. working environment is very nice.
General Counsel's Office is Tense.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYMay 22, 2015
My direct supervisor was good but the overall atmosphere in the office was tense. Members of the library's legal team did not like each other and I was caught in the middle. Now I work with the human resources department and I like it better there.
Productive work place
Tutor/Volunteer (Former Employee), Ozone Park, NYMay 16, 2015
A stable work environment. Quiet, spacious place to work. Lots of privacy, enough space to move around. Material were available to complete my duties.
IT Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 27, 2015
Queens Library has a warm and productive atmosphere. And if you're a bibliophile like myself, how can you not love working near thousands of books?
Enjoyed helping people
Job Readiness Trainer (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYFebruary 16, 2015
overall the queens library is a great place to go. so many resources and all. i was part of the job information center in which i helped out many customers progress themselves into obtaining a job.
Productive and fun workplace
Page (Current Employee), East Elmhurst, NYDecember 2, 2014
I usually arrive and get straight to work. I usually organize anything that is misplaced first and then go back and shelve anything that was returned the day before and prior to me arriving. Management is excellent and I haven't faced any issues with customers. Me and my co-workers get along well and our day typically runs smoothly. The hardest part of the job would be covering for other people when they are not in that day. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with the customers and help them find whatever they need. During my time here, I have learned how to communicate with others; mainly customers and my supervisor. I also learned how to time myself so that I can get all my work done before the end of the day.
Working at Queens Library is absolutely fun and amazing
Assist the customers (Current Employee), 40-20 Broadway, New York, AstoriaOctober 30, 2014
Pros: flexible time working, very understanding supervisor
Cons: does not give enough hour to work
At Queens Library the typical day would be working with my co-workers and keep the customers happy. My job is to satisfy my customers therefore I would try every professional skills in order to make my customers happy. The environment at the library is very enjoyable, it is like waking up in your dream job. Everyone has smile on their faces and they would go beyond their limits to bring the smile on people's faces. It does not even feel that I am working because I feel that every staff members are like my family. However at times things get hard when it comes to taking care of the specific customers. There are many customers who does not like to be told about the policy and rules of the library, which makes it hard to face the obstacle. For that situation I would strictly tell one of the librarian, manager or supervisor to discuss about the problem. By taking up the job I have learned to manage my time, to be responsible, talk professionally, always have smile while you are at work. Nobody wants to see a dusky face when you are at a job. Moreover, the biggest skill that I have learned is that a person cannot addle their professional and personal life, the two kinds of life should stay at its place.
Meeting new patrons
Library Assistant III (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYMarch 19, 2014
This is a great working environment for anyone who likes meeting a diversified group of people each day. I learned how to communicate with individuals from different ethnicity and backgrounds of all age groups. Co-workers were easy to get along with, and all of the managers I have worked with were very dedicated, not only to just daily working routines and managing the library efficiently but also to staff members. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers and patrons and making sure their needs were met.
Fun place to work
Teen Net Mentor (Current Employee), Rosedale, NYJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: working with the kids
Cons: only part time
Working at the library is fun. You get to help and meet new people everyday. My co- worker treat you like family, we all look out for each other if one is sick. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the kids. I want to be a teacher one day so working with them and helping is the best part of my job.
Children's Librarian (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYNovember 25, 2013
Pros: customer service
Queens Library is a great non profit organization. Customer Service is key for Queens Library. Working at the Queens Library I learned organization and interpersonal skills. Co-workers are encouraging and friendly. The hardest part of the job is continuing to come of with new and innovative ideas but it is a welcoming challenge. The most enjoyable part of my career are the smiles of my satisfied customers.
Successful, diverse, and entertaining work environment where I learn everyday.
Page (Current Employee), Queens, NYOctober 20, 2013
I have a part time position at the Queens Library.
From the beginning I got the opportunity to learn a lot about the job and it was the most enjoyable part.
Every day I'm engaged with costumers, answering questions, referring them to appropriate staff, and helping them with the automatic self-check-out and self-check-in systems.
Primarily I do;
Maintenance of book stocks and displays.
Shelving books and library materials.
Helping children's librarian with codding new materials and labeling and linking new DVDs and magazines.
I've had the great pleasure of working with excellent co-workers and managers so far, and it has contributed to our success serving hundreds of customers everyday.
Fun
Page (Former Employee), Jackson Heights, NYAugust 5, 2013
Organize books by category and assist the public to find books upon request. Also, I was solely responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the 1st floor in the library.
Programs for Immigrant families
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYJuly 24, 2013
The Queens Library provides programming for immigrant families.
Productive volunteer place for children
Child Care Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJune 19, 2013
Pros: snacks
Cons: no pay
Reading to children every Friday from 3pm,-4pm.
Learned how to cooperate with smaller children.
Co-workers were very helpful with anything misunderstood.
Hardest part of job was keeping patience.
Most enjoyable part was to see the children's reading level's rise.
fun and relax work place
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), East Elmhurst, NYMay 25, 2013
i learn how to Preformed cashier duties, stocked merchandise and assisted customers with merchandise selections.
Staff always under threat due to budget problems
former employee (Former Employee), JamaicaMarch 16, 2013
Pros: service to community
Cons: management with little concern for staff
Some nice people, but no salary increases for years due to relentless budget cutting.
simple and pleasant place to work
Page (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYMarch 5, 2013
Pros: access to books
Cons: no room for advancement
Queens Library is a place where you can have a good first job and gain some valuable work experience.
a great learning experience
Book Keeper and Computer Personnel, NY (Former Employee), Queens Village New YorkFebruary 11, 2013
A nice job for a high school student. Helped me develop the proper working habits necessary to acquire a good future career.
Friendly and Busy
Page (Current Employee), Queens, NYDecember 11, 2012
-A typical day at work is full of books to be shelved by a certain time. Cleaning up the books on the floor, left on tables, left on chairs, etc. Assisting customers when they cannot find something.
-I learned that patience is a virtue.
-Management is helpful.
-My co-workers are simply just that: Co-workers. We all just try to get our work done. Do not really associate much.
-The hardest part of the job is organizing because children always pull out the books.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children smile as you find them the book they were looking for.