Queens Library Employee Reviews

Productive Workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYDecember 20, 2017
Although my time at Queens Library was short, I did learn a bit about office work. There was always something to do so I was never bored. I really enjoyed preparing magazines and packages.
Fun workplace
Librarian Page (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was that all the librarians were friendly and you can get the work done fairly quick through teamwork. If you had trouble with your assignment, you can always ask for assistance instead of being stuck on doing what you're assigned on.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
This was a part time job
Page (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 3, 2017
Assisted patrons with questions,checked out books,magazines CDs and DVDs. Properly shelved books utilizing the Dewey Decimal System. kept assigned cleaned and neat for patrons.
It’s a good work place
Hourly Employee (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 12, 2017
It’s a good work place I learned how to operate Hand forklift. it’s a balanced work place the managers are great. It’s a part time job but they do have full time jobs.
Great Environment
Data Entry Processor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 7, 2017
I only worked here for a few months/weeks but this was by far one of the best working experience I have had. The people that work there are pleasant and has a family/homely feeling would go back if i had the opportunity and availability.
Part time job.
Toiddler Learning Center Monitor. (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYSeptember 25, 2017
Part time job. +Work one day a week for five weeks. Work three hours per day. Work with children under age three, and their care givers. The pay is $9 per hour. Set up the room for the program. Move tables and chairs.Turn on the fan. Put out mats. Put out toys for the program. Set up the arts and crafts table. Clean up the room after the program. Put the toys away. Put the tables and chairs back for the next program.
Pros
Work with customers.
Cons
None.
Boring but good way to get volunteer hours
Tutor/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glen Oaks, NYSeptember 5, 2017
The kids were pretty naughty at times, but I had a great time due to the staff their. Parents of the children were also very nice and helpful but sometimes annoying.
very slow paced and unnecessary at times
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 30, 2017
I like jobs with a challenge and this was not one of those. It was boring and seemed lifeless and i had the urge to find another job while working. Hours were not good either.
Pros
easy work
Cons
very low amount of hours
Paige putting books away
Paige (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYAugust 14, 2017
For those who are paiges, only work P/T putting books away & organizing them, but some benefits are flexible schedule, sick day(s) up to a month, & 401k investment .
Pros
flexible schedule & sick day(s) up to a month & 401k investment
Cons
no F/T due to gov related
A Queens Library job is fine for a workstudy students
Library Aide (Library Page) (Former Employee) –  Cambria Heights, NYAugust 2, 2017
Working at Queens library has lots of advantages, such as: may be asked to help out in all kinds of workshops, so you get an opportunity to be exposed to lots of things (for that day/ or for the 3 week period of the workshop). If you are a student with lots of studying/ or if you have a part time job already, Queens Library is a good thing to have on the side.
Pros
It can be a quiet environment, and if you like that, it is a good thing
Cons
Pay is not good; you get cut whenever there is not enough money in the budget.
Great Place for Advancement but Pay is not that Great
Career Coach (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYJuly 17, 2017
I enjoyed Queens Library because they were flexible with my student scheduling while in College, and management was great. I would work there again if I had the opportunity!
Creative and respectful atmosphere with a reverence for learning.
Internal Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 2, 2017
A vital, dynamic service oriented program, devoted to the intellectual needs of the most diverse population in New York City. Inspiring and ethical atmosphere.
Pros
Inspiring co-workers and senior management.
Cons
A great mission with a difficult culture
N/A (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2017
The library is a deeply responsive organization that provides a breadth of truly necessary services. The branches function as much as community and cultural centers as they do places of learning. The culture of staff, however, is not as collaborative as it ought to be, and department are competitive for resources, information, and preference. This is improving under the current administration, but very, very slowly. By virtue of its funding sources, the libraries function very bureaucratically, and the internal governance compounds that regulation, getting in its own way quite a bit. It's a shame that this great organization, staffed mostly by dedicated and capable people trips itself up so often.
Pros
Great mission providing essential services to the people of Queens
Cons
Siloed, suspicious, obstructionist work culture
a day in the life of a Page
Hourly Employee (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 24, 2017
Being a page is a great experience as I was able to make friendships beyond the work space as I was able to tell how my co-workers were feeling on a day to day basis. In addition, I'm also on a good working relationship with my supervisor
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
limited to a set amount of hours
Easy work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 19, 2017
Working as a tutor was very easy for me. Someone who has a potential to help people and patient can do this work. The faculty members are very nice and helpful. it is also a diverse place.
Pros
Great Faculty Members
Cons
No Cons
Relaxed Work
Children's Page (Current Employee) –  Howard Beach, NYMay 28, 2017
Everything is slow-paced and as long as you get your work done you aren't bothered too much. The hardest part of the job is the patience to finish your shift even when there's no more work to do and all you wanna do is sit. I suggest doing 3 hours a day, any more and your legs start killing you. In both branches I've been in they always have snacks in the breakroom, the staff is always nice and you often engage in fun convos, and you can change your hours as often as you'd like as long as your books are shelved and not piling up.
Pros
Very flexible hours, friendly co workers
Cons
Short breaks, not allowed to sit down
the team was great to work with
Career Coach (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 1, 2017
In general, a pleasant place to work. However, no warning or written notice was given when they felt something was not done according to their policy.
Easy job that's never quiet/boring
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYApril 29, 2017
Too many people mistake a library for being quiet. Haha, not on Jamaica ave.

Even with the wild patrons who'd rage out of their minds for their computer's time expiring or forgetting their own password (I've got some stories, security's awesome though)-it was a very fun (and laid back) job. If you're experienced with computers it's a breeze (you get a lot of people asking how to log into their gmails, or how to turn on caps lock, etc.).

Pay was pretty low by New York standards, hence the reason I had to eventually relocate back to Florida but it seemed there was good opportunities for advancement had I stayed longer.

Good job, I miss it.
Pros
Laid back, casual dress and environment
Cons
Hours are low for part time, initial pay is not enough on it's own to sustain living in NYC
One of the best origanzation stress good work ethics and customer service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  8911 Merick blvd, queens NYApril 23, 2017
Customer satisfaction. Learned how books and other materials are processed for the public. Most management is 100% available to help if any problems or issues that may arise. Hardest is unable to resolved all problems or issues. Like to know that customer are always getting good satisfying sevice.
Pros
Like meeting and helping people
Cons
Sometimes cannot help some customers
Flexible and work-friendly environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2017
As a high school or college student, the manager there is very understanding and will compromise with any issue that you may have regarding education.
The workload is not excessive.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
n/a