This position is responsible for the creation, implementation and management of the optimal flow of parts from suppliers to delivery to the warehouse. It includes the planning, inventory control logistics management. Candidate requires leadership skills and experience in a fast pace multi-task environment. Directs the activities of the Materials Planners to execute optimal buying decisions by balancing inventory levels, piece part costs and freight costs. Responsible for management of the logistics function for entire organization. Directs the activities of the inventory control functions for all plants in Charlotte. The position requires the constant drive for improvement in all areas of material planning and logistics including compliance of documented policies and procedures. The person shall provide leadership and change management skills to move the culture and team to the highest level of performance.
- Purposefully and consistently conduct themselves within the structure of the guiding principles and mission statement of the organization.
- To communicate effectively with all team members including cross-functional teams, internal customers and with external suppliers.
- Team leadership to include outlining clear expectations for supervisors and team leads and team members and consistently addressing holding individuals accountable.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all operating systems pertaining to the materials and manufacturing.
- Plan with IST to integrate systems required to optimize the use of MRP information that improves material flow.
- Manages the relationship with the third party logistics company servicing the Spartan Inc. needs for optimized freight movement and is accountable for managing freight costs across the corporation.
- Establishes and maintains department standards for productivity, reliability, and accuracy.
- Improve policies, procedures & processes to be standard practices for all team members and to record in SBS data base.
- Stay attuned to customer requirements/changes to support assembly
- To quickly implement corrective actions when there is a failure in the flow of materials.
- Maintains a high degree of visibility and access to associates throughout the work day.
- Manage team member activities including, but not limited to, vacation approvals, time card approvals, daily and weekly overtime, hiring, and training.
- Leads all inventory activities; including validation, settlement, and inventory reconciliation.
- Lead and manage physical inventory and cycle counting activities
- Understand methods of converting and communicating demand requirements for materials into detailed plans and schedules for inventory acquisition.
- Manages all aspects of the day-to-day procurement of materials
- Controls inventory levels within the specified goals and develop creative ways to improve turns/days on hand levels.
- Ensures freight costs are considered in the decision making process and seeks ways to creatively lower those costs.
- Manages the supplier on-time delivery evaluation program and works with the supply management team to cooperatively improve supplier on-time delivery.
- Supports and monitors department budget. Manages expenses within approved budget constraints.
- Identifies, documents, and implements opportunities for continuous improvement projects. .
- Assigns duties and monitors quality of work. Assures staff conforms to organizational policies and procedures and government regulations.
- Provides day-to-day guidance and oversight of subordinates. Actively works to promote and recognize performance.
- Knowledgeable and progressive in the business use of technology to advance the efficiency of the team.
- Understand management methods and techniques involved in lean and Just-in-Time management and applies them to their area.
- Performs other duties as assigned by his/her manager.
- Four year degree required
- Five years materials leadership in complex materials environment
- Ongoing commitment to drive improvements to a high standard of excellence
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of manufacturing planning, master production scheduling, product definition, inventory control, materials requirements planning, capacity requirements planning, transportation, and purchasing business functions.
- Specific strong background in the management and development of the planning, logistics and inventory control processes. Capable or experience in switching to a new MRP system.
- Demonstrates proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills. Ability to extract conclusions from available data and “tell a story”.
- Basic competence in subordinates’ duties and tasks.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Acute attention to detail with a passion for 100% accuracy
- Proficient on ERP/MRP, MSMicrosoft Office Suite and PC network applications MRPII/ERP systems.
- Must have leadership skills/experience in a fast pace multi-task environment.
- Proven ability to be creative and drive new innovation processes
- Ability to make timely decisions and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diverse group of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Demonstrated proficiency in team and individual development
- Commitment to quality and continuous improvement
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various project teams
- Solid judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method.
Bachelors Degree Required.
APICS or IBF Preferred
TPS/Lean and/or Six Sigma Training Preferred
5-10 years functional experience
5-7 years Management experience with 2-4 direct reports
Indeed - 7 months ago