R+L Carriers Employee Reviews in United States

This is a great job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 19, 2015
R+L Carriers is one of the best jobs I've ever had. The people are great, the management listens almost to a fault, and you honestly control your own destiny. If you work hard and seriously want to advance then that's really up to you. Nobody is going to hold you back. You have to give great customer service and really do your job. Don't bring your cell phone to work and just do your job.
Pros
Leadership, Work environment, advancement potential
Cons
Low starting salary
horrible place to work.
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2015
R&l doesn't care about their dock employees as much as their drivers. The management is very bad in both shifts. Very cold environment to work and insulation is very worn-down and i don’t know why they still pass inspections. The hourly pay is good, but don’t expect to get paid time & half after overtime. I worked in very bad conditions; even wen is below -30 in freezing conditions. Company health benefits are not the greatest neither. People come in and out of here because of how poorly they care about their employees, so don’t work for this company.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
Not a good place
Shop Foreman/lead mechanic (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 30, 2016
As a mechanic, the hours are bad, management is worse than ever, the will tell you one thing the lie to cover them self. The supervised will stab you in the back, talk nice to your face but then send e-mail to your boss to get you in trouble. The stealing that goes on there is another thing, then if it is reported, the people that stole from the company, get to keep there job,. Their employees resorts are a joke, if you have a family you can't afford to go to one of them. The Terminal Manager tells drivers to get truck out of the shop that have been downed for safety. No overtime pay, Safety and OSHA are ignored. No one is on your side from Central down. You work for years on end and all you are is a number. Owner don't listen to you, and if you get a review to come back to work, they will find anybody that is against you to be on the review board.
Difficult work enviorment
diesel mechanic (Former Employee) –  Burlington, New JerseyJuly 15, 2015
When working at R&L Carriers I found that the work environment to be hostile. A typical day consisted of making sure that every minute was counted for. There was no management during the night shift, so the employees were responsible for making any major decisions and if it was something the management didn't agree with you were severally reprimanded. I learned not to trust the management because they would tell us things that were not true. The co-workers were all pleasant and enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job was watching people steal company time. Also the hours in which i worked were difficult to adjust to, and they didn't pay time and a half. The most enjoyable part if my job was the money and the vacation time.
Pros
Health benifits, pay
Cons
managment
good company good benefits
operation manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLAugust 17, 2016
very demanding w/long hours is a typical day . I learned that a good listener and sense of organization and cool demeanor are key to being a manager. I became a manager because I accept responsibility and see the business as a whole . I accept employees are not perfect but daily reinforcement of company policy and consistency are essential to daily success. The hardest part of this particular job was the outside factors such as equipment failure and unexpected time failures that tend to back your operation up .the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing with a plan in place and willingness to adjust for the sake of your customers that you could clock out every day knowing you did your best .
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours and pay
Stay away from this company
Line Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 4, 2016
If you have a job u better stay there don't even think about it to work for this company I stared as a line haul driver staring at 9pm to 10 am sometimes 11am good hours after a couple of months the guy on charge I won't say manager that's to much title for that alcoholic guy, well he moved me to p&d working on the dock for 3 to 4 hours I was doing between 13 to 17 deliveries and doing 5 to 9 pickups everyday as a p&d driver u only gonna get 34 to 40 hours if u have luck makes 42 hours pay hourly is 26.33,benefits are expensive, trucks are fair I was luck driving one of the new ones , oh another big thing there's only like 4 drivers that have over one year working there everybody is quitting everybody is complaining drivers start 10am to 11am then u has to be rushing all day long without taking ur brakes
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Poor Management
Great place to work!
Commercial Truck Driver - Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, OHJuly 28, 2016
Everyone will have their own experiences in which to base their personal opinions of the company they work for. I had a very good experience with R&L and I worked with a GREAT bunch of drivers, dock workers, mechanics, and Supervisors. Oh sure there were ups and downs, but the company stood behind me when I went through some bad ones. I drove Line-Haul at night and LOVED IT! The hardest part of the job was dealing with the ever increasing number of idiot drivers that are populating our roads today. There wasn't one day I went by that I didn't encounter one(OR MORE) in the 15 years I worked for R&L. The best part of the job was being part of a huge company....and of course the paychecks I brought home. Sure it was a lot of miles on the butt, but much better pay than any I've worked for. You can work a little or you can work a lot.....It's what you want to make of it....Like anything. Hope this helps.
Pros
Quiet time in the Drrivers Seat.....
Cons
Sore Butt driving so much and hard to find time to exercise.
Terrible company
Team driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 1, 2016
Stay away from R&l carriers they will put anything on your dac report that they can. They gave me a chargeable accident for trailer skirt coming off while driving down the road. Also you are not sure what your pay is they pay by the load and vary from terminal to terminal so no one can tell you what run pays. Stay away. Hey if you don't care about your career or pay you hey this is the company for you. Management don't not support you in anything and you are only a driver code and a truck number here. Management and dispatch will not help you with anything don't nobody know nothing here. Also they are not up to date with technology it's very lengthy paper work process.
Pros
Off 2 days
Poster-child for dysfunctionality
Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTAugust 18, 2016
My job was simple and I enjoyed it. The company overall is a mess. Preferential treatment starts from the very top. HR is staffed by bible-thumpers, at a central location that serves the whole county. Pay and benefits aren't great. PT dock workers actually take an hourly pay cut if they go FT! Locally, day and night shifts can't seem to work together for the common good. Supervisory presence is definitely lacking on the PM shift.

All that said, I had a lot of fun working at R+L! Lack of supervision isn't always a bad thing.
Pros
Hoblets, donuts on Friday, relaxed environment, weekly pay
Cons
Rumors + Lies, Denver Broncos
A typical day at work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 12, 2015
I would go out on the dock every morning and look over OSD issues that were in my area, and would then come in and work a switch board, and start working on reports for claims. I really enjoyed the fast paced and friendly atmosphere that R&L carrier offered. I had to leave due to personal reasons, and I'm still very close to several of the associates and members of management. Great company to work for.
Pros
Health care benifits, friendly work enviroment, encourged to learn and grow with in the company.
Fast paced workplace that makes the time fly
Forklift Operator/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 17, 2016
I typically work a 5 hour shift and it feels like it goes by very quick because we are usually very busy at work. I work a small outbound operation with 1 other guy and a dock supervisor who I enjoy working with. We dont communicate much unless it has to do with something on the dock, but we are too busy to stop and talk for the most part. The hardest part of my job is getting pieces to fit on trailers that wont or will just barely fit and making sure they are secure. The most enjoyable part is sitting on my lift and pulling freight off the back of a trailer, it is easy and not physically challenging in any way.
Pros
Pays well hourly
Cons
No full time or insurance benefits offered
enjoyed working there for the almost 5 years then with changes not so happy
Line Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTNovember 12, 2015
over all good place to work. good pay,benefits. stayed busy until last couple months when run was canceled. hit or miss if good work for the day at that time.
Customer Service issues along with OS&D issues
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CAAugust 30, 2015
This is the first transportation company I have worked for that the customer service also had to do OS&D issues. It was a very different experience but I came to realize how I liked handling OS&D issues. Along with customer service had to help drivers with issues and help dispatch with pick ups.
Pros
Experience with OS&D
Cons
No Raises
High Pay, low expectations, no respect
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  West SacramentoDecember 24, 2015
I was employeed with R+L for more than a few years. A call to the corporate office in Ohio to the Safety department unknowingly summed up my experiences.

A clerk answered the phone and asked who I was. I told her my name and stated that I was the Terminal Manager. Having hindsight now, her response was symptomatic of the culture.

"You know what "TM" stands for, right? Temporary Manager"... As a TM/General Manager at other facilities, I had been trusted with various responsibilities. R+L treats their Managers more as Operations Managers, with very little input regarding the day to day operations. Not many KPI's you have to deal with, no financial obligations to regulate either.

The pay was great, hours were long, drivers (as they often do) never seemed to like the company, even though they (R+L) preach a "driver first" mentality.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Micro Management, loss of control
Great employees!
Route Sales Driver (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAJune 4, 2016
Fellow drivers and dock staff work very hard to help each other out in order to deliver on the promise to customers. Just need to have the company replace the local West Sacramento Terminal Manager. Sadly lacks social skills with employee base and has anger issues.
Other management is outstanding!!
Bob Zimmerman is a man of character and taking this company to greater heights....
I would strongly recommend RL Carriers to those in the industry.
Pros
Hard working employees
Cons
Local TM
not place to work unless you need experience
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TNJuly 7, 2016
I worked there a while ago, but i took day off and got fired. The other new guys missed 2 days a week , but nothing. Oh yea they were family friends with managers. They do not give you enough hours so they don't have to give you benefits. It is a easy job any one can do any job in there, simple for beginners. They were not very helpful, no one wanted to do anything for any one else.
Pros
easy
Cons
no hours and nepotism
Run like Forest Gump from this place!
Pre Clerk and Appointment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJune 25, 2016
I worked for this company as a pre-clerk and an appointment clerk. The worst job I've ever had. The terminal manager is CRAZY! He's very disrespectful and unprofessional. I would not refer anyone to work for this particular terminal. The pay was very low, the place is dirty, and all the computers are very outdated.
Pros
Location was close to my house.
Cons
Dirty workspace, outdated computers, and very low pay.
Horrible Place To Work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2016
Currently work for company as line haul driver. No one communicates. They assign you a truck but when you come in to start your shift that truck has been assigned to some driver from the temp service. They force you to do swaps which take you about 2 hours to do because of traffic which by the way is not hourly. It pays $29. Then you have to sit around up to 5 hours if not longer for your load (which is always late) and you don't get paid for waiting. Don't let the pay rate confuse you. We are the lowest paid in the freight business.
Pros
Equipment
Cons
Pay and Route Pay
Stone Age company
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 5, 2016
This is a very poorly run company .managers/ supervisors never know what they're doing. equipment is outdated, no health insurance .they will work you to the last second to kick you out just to not pay for your health insurance. This company is still stuck in the Stone Age. In the short time that I was there a month has seen more than 10 people come and go in a short period of time this tells you a lot.
Pros
No pros
A disaster waiting to hsppen
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Fife, WAAugust 27, 2016
Been working here for years the slower you go the more hours you get and overtime. All management cares about is his bonus. OSHA would love this place there are violations every where you look on the premise.
Pros
No supervision no production goals move slower make more money
Cons
Tm is rude and director is too good to talk to

2.9