R+L Carriers Employee Reviews

High Pay, low expectations, no respect
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  West SacramentoDecember 24, 2015
I was employeed with R+L for more than a few years. A call to the corporate office in Ohio to the Safety department unknowingly summed up my experiences.

A clerk answered the phone and asked who I was. I told her my name and stated that I was the Terminal Manager. Having hindsight now, her response was symptomatic of the culture.

"You know what "TM" stands for, right? Temporary Manager"... As a TM/General Manager at other facilities, I had been trusted with various responsibilities. R+L treats their Managers more as Operations Managers, with very little input regarding the day to day operations. Not many KPI's you have to deal with, no financial obligations to regulate either.

The pay was great, hours were long, drivers (as they often do) never seemed to like the company, even though they (R+L) preach a "driver first" mentality.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Micro Management, loss of control
58, 0000
celeste mccaslin (Former Employee) –  tring to get on in lakeland florida yard as driverNovember 16, 2015
I am a driver with over 28years experience tring to get on with r@l global out of lakeland florida but due to their application web site not working correctly I'm not able to complete my appication for this company
Pros
good company
Cons
good company bad web site
great job
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 12, 2015
Enjoy working there. Great place to be. Great workers. Great Company. Great opportunity to move up within the company.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
horrible place to work.
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2015
R&l doesn't care about their dock employees as much as their drivers. The management is very bad in both shifts. Very cold environment to work and insulation is very worn-down and i don’t know why they still pass inspections. The hourly pay is good, but don’t expect to get paid time & half after overtime. I worked in very bad conditions; even wen is below -30 in freezing conditions. Company health benefits are not the greatest neither. People come in and out of here because of how poorly they care about their employees, so don’t work for this company.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
fun fast paced
fun busy job (Former Employee) –  Columbiana, OHOctober 20, 2015
busy job. load and unload trucks. forklift maintenance. load and unload interstate delivery. next day delivery.

good crew there when i was there.
This is a great job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 19, 2015
R+L Carriers is one of the best jobs I've ever had. The people are great, the management listens almost to a fault, and you honestly control your own destiny. If you work hard and seriously want to advance then that's really up to you. Nobody is going to hold you back. You have to give great customer service and really do your job. Don't bring your cell phone to work and just do your job.
Pros
Leadership, Work environment, advancement potential
Cons
Low starting salary
80% customer contact
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  NJSeptember 8, 2015
Friendly, hard working culture as a privately owned firm.
Enjoyed the customer- centric culture.

The management was not hand-ons and I thrived in this environment
great job
Freight Handler (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, PAAugust 18, 2015
great part time job, wish it was full time. Managers are great. Co workers are also great. I would definitely recommend this job
Large company, so pretty secure employment.
P&D Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, Tx.August 14, 2015
Enjoy working for this company, but management changes often. Company does offer lost of appreciation amenities. Some bonuses during holiday season.
Pros
stable employment
Cons
no over time, straight pay
Productive and friendly environment
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, OHAugust 13, 2015
It was a fast paced and friendly environment. The employees were very understanding and helpful. It had decent wages as well.
Productive, poor Managment
Forklift operations (Former Employee) –  Fife, WaJuly 15, 2015
Very productive there always something to do but very poor managment. A typical day was running a forklift all night. i learned more about forklifts and safety
productive nice workplace good hard working people.
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Montebello, CAJune 30, 2015
Typical day at work is get in clock in get my manifest get forklift and start my trailer.

i learned how to use the scanner on a forklift how to reweigh freight .

my coworkers are all good people never had a problem with anyone always helpful.

the hardest part of the job is when i get damaged freight and i have to reorganize the pallet.
Don't even think about working for this company! Bad bad bad!
Diesel mechanic/ shop foreman (Former Employee) –  Phoenix,azJune 27, 2015
Worked as a diesel mechanic / shop foreman in the Phoenix ,az location.conditions are terrible.equipment is in horrible condition.the management is the worst I've ever worked for. Work for more than 8 hrs its straight time no time / half . This is company wide.they do not care about there employees at all just a number. Do yourself a favor stay away...unless you want to be miserable.
Pros
Some of the coworkers
Cons
R&l as a whole
Not a premier company to work for. Unorganized and behind on technology
DISPATCH SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJune 25, 2015
A typical day is very stressful. I learned that you alway have to know who to blame things on, which is what management does. Co-workers are always frustrated and display a negative working attitude, and always complain. Most enjoyable part of the job was going home.
Pros
Pay is fair
Cons
Quality of the work-force is poor
Good for short term.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Columbiana, OhioJune 15, 2015
This is a good company for short term, learn skills on forklifts, manifest and the culture of the warehouse industry. Most employees that work there are on a part-time schedule. If there were more full time positions available then they would have a higher review,
Shipping and Receiving
Dock worker (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJune 9, 2015
My job description was to weigh material and make the labels to go on the material. I would pull orders all day for each load that was be shipped
sucked as a trucking companie
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAMay 11, 2015
I worked there up till i hurt my back didnt know where i hurt my back so i turned it into my health insurance an the company wouldn't work with me i was going to be out just for 8 weeks should have turned in under worker compensation.
Rushed all the time never was given time to get right hazardous signs on truck was rushed to hook pups up my trl was never loaded. Was given load at 830 an had to get hazardous signs go look for a truck usely had to wait on a truck an hook trls up an do a pretrip in 15 mins lol
what a joke to work for. An HR want help because they dont care.
Pros
good hhealth care
Cons
everything
Probably the worst LTL carrier in the business
driver (Former Employee) –  philadelphiaApril 21, 2015
This company scraps the bottom when it comes to management and drivers. They'll take any people with a pulse ,because their reputation proceeds them. Safety is just a word to R and L . When the chips are down, safety's out the window. R and L always runs understaffed because they're cheap and don't care. The reason the grass is greener on R and L's side is because it is moldy and putrified.
Pros
nothing
Cons
just about everything
Difficult But Fun
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILMarch 26, 2015
Throughout the time I have worked for R+L Carriers, there have been many changes; I do not mind change, but I do care how management handles change. I feel as if the entire management staff is corrupt and are out to "throw others under the bus" for their own needs and benefit. Needless to say, they are more concerned about their own well-being than the well-being of their employees. I have heard multiple conversations between supervisors about other employees; most of them include making fun of employees and degrading them behind their backs. Being in that kind of environment makes it hard to respect your superiors' authority. I feel that with better management, this company would be a lot better to work for. Human Resource calls really do not impact the work place as much as I think it should. Everything is "swept under the rug" and no one could care less about it. Honestly, the only reason I have stayed as long as I have, is because I fell in love with my co-workers. As much as we have to go through, we all stick together and create a family atmosphere. The driver's there and other office personnel are some of the best people you will find.
Pros
Co-workers, paid breaks
Cons
hostile work environment, poor management
Professional and Productive
Oracle Apps Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, OHJanuary 30, 2015
Glad to be a part of the R+L team. The job offered a great opportunity to learn and grow professionally. The colleagues were helpful and supportive.

2.6