R+L Carriers Employee Reviews

Do Not Leave Your Job For This One!! They Do Not "Take Pride in their People"
P/D Driver - Linehaul (Current Employee) –  Pensacola FlOctober 30, 2013
Terminal Mgr talked me into leaving my job without giving notice,cause they was too busy...My First mistake that I bought into and I always gave notice. Then I was Hired on and All Seemed fine UNTIL first Monday after being hired, and they Called me to tell me they didnt need me, and them calls continued, Calls at 6 am to tell you to be there at 9:30 am or calls At 6am to not come at all cause they had a small "bill count" (Bill count is NO freight for YOU to haul) and I got that 3 days a week. some weeks. and you have to buy your own Pallet jack so you can go in debt w Co. for $400 and your own 2 wheel cart which you will need. Yes they have lift gates that helps but still least your worries. Seniority is everything in this company so starting out is impossible to make a living....Coming from a person that lost his home cause of their lies and still they did not care!!! They May start you out at $17.52 hr but you will only get 6-8hrs a day under 40 hrs a week and your 90 days is "Working Days" so that will take as long as the Company wants to make it>>Do Not Fall for it Screw You R/L!!! You Suck!! I currently work here till I find somewhere else
Pros
not micro-managed, delivery to customers, home daily
Cons
call offs 2-3 days a week
Difficult But Fun
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILMarch 26, 2015
Throughout the time I have worked for R+L Carriers, there have been many changes; I do not mind change, but I do care how management handles change. I feel as if the entire management staff is corrupt and are out to "throw others under the bus" for their own needs and benefit. Needless to say, they are more concerned about their own well-being than the well-being of their employees. I have heard multiple conversations between supervisors about other employees; most of them include making fun of employees and degrading them behind their backs. Being in that kind of environment makes it hard to respect your superiors' authority. I feel that with better management, this company would be a lot better to work for. Human Resource calls really do not impact the work place as much as I think it should. Everything is "swept under the rug" and no one could care less about it. Honestly, the only reason I have stayed as long as I have, is because I fell in love with my co-workers. As much as we have to go through, we all stick together and create a family atmosphere. The driver's there and other office personnel are some of the best people you will find.
Pros
Co-workers, paid breaks
Cons
hostile work environment, poor management
R&L = acronym for Race and Liftgate
city p&d driver (Former Employee) –  Norristown terminal in Hatfield PaAugust 30, 2014
1st off as soon as I was hired for a city/p&d driver I found out I had to buy my own new pallet jack and hand truck which was deducted weekly out of my pay. I've worked at other ltl companies as a city/p&d driver and found out fast these people like to squeeze every last drop out of you worse than other companies with twice the size area of runs size with about 1/2 the drivers. 40 miles one way then 40 miles back it was nutzed and then you add all the liftgating in on top of all of it because their schtick is we deliver anything anytime anywhere it was hard to keep up everyday they ran you into the ground and then there goes your beeper being dispatched 40 miles away again to somebody that needs a pickup by 2:30 and its 2:00 still having to deliver 5 more stops in the current area! I was running 4 counties and they just didn't care to give you help so I got the heck out of there after 2 1/2 yrs of it. They just didn't realize how much time liftgating takes!!!! Other companies have 2-3 guys in an area not these people!
Pros
pay was good, home every night with a regular start time, trucks were loaded when you came in most days and never touched a forklift
Cons
no overtime pay
Fmcsa Red Flag Company!!!!!
PERCENTAGE DRIVER NIGHTS (Former Employee) –  ELGIN, ILJanuary 22, 2013
I worked nights for them for almost a year.to the day. Overweight pup trailers you have to wait ON DUTY for them to unload and reload About an hour or two drive time burned while you are getting paid perc. at night. Day guys get hourly, straight time only no o.t......the mechanics will put a cut oil dipstick in to check if you are doing pretrip and will report you to management if you dont return the dipstick before leaving yard. The night manager if its the same one WILL backstab you. The terminal manager is no help either, they are tight. It is their fishbowl and they love tapping the glass. To them youre a dime a dozen. Youll hate nights so just DONT. ALSO i spoke with fmcsa just recently and R&L has.over 2300 inspections and violations whicj makex them red flagged at the scales COUNTRYWIDE....
Pros
ok benefits...
Cons
sucky night pay, backstabbing mechanics, fmsca inspection magnet
High Pay, low expectations, no respect
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  West SacramentoDecember 24, 2015
I was employeed with R+L for more than a few years. A call to the corporate office in Ohio to the Safety department unknowingly summed up my experiences.

A clerk answered the phone and asked who I was. I told her my name and stated that I was the Terminal Manager. Having hindsight now, her response was symptomatic of the culture.

"You know what "TM" stands for, right? Temporary Manager"... As a TM/General Manager at other facilities, I had been trusted with various responsibilities. R+L treats their Managers more as Operations Managers, with very little input regarding the day to day operations. Not many KPI's you have to deal with, no financial obligations to regulate either.

The pay was great, hours were long, drivers (as they often do) never seemed to like the company, even though they (R+L) preach a "driver first" mentality.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Micro Management, loss of control
Bottom line of trucking companies
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Farmington/Lakeville MNJanuary 7, 2013
Managment lies to get what they want to male them selves look good. Terminal manager in Lakeville/Farmington MN shouldnt even be in this posistion, let alone think he knows fleet maintenance when his previous experiance was dock worker. Very cocky attitude and a know-it-all. Lied about hours and changed them after the fact. 8hrs quickly becomes 16 hours per day. Fleet manager is an idiot. Cant order parts locally, has to go thru their main shop in TN, including lights, misc parts, brakes, etc. horriable company. Unless you really really need a job, dont waste your time as they wont value you at all
And their employee "resorts" are a major joke!!
Pros
close to home
Cons
everything about the place, managment
Don't consider it.
Loader (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, ohMay 9, 2013
The supervisors desk on the dock had an empty case of beer by it. During my training (which the manager told my trainer "don't spend too much time training him, get your work done") my trainer would smoke pot inside of the trailers. I was forced to walk into unlit trailers and crawl over pallets, a snapped ankle waiting to happen. If OSHA or any other production oversight company were to come in this place, it would be shut down. My second day on the job there was a fist fight between two employees. Our supervisor threatened all of us that we better not report the fight so the two involved do not get fired. First thing I was told in my interview was the high turnover rate. Hmmm I wonder why?
Cons
everything.
Used to be a good job untill it headed SOUTH
Fleet Maintenance (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 26, 2012
Very tipical fleet maintenace job.
They want you to learn anything and everything from forklift service and repairs to heavy duty engine repairs such as Detroit diesel and Cummins engine removal and overhaul. Promise you promotions but will not advance you. Takes between 7-15 yrs to become close to top pay............but they still will not promote you to top pay level. Very Very POOR MANAGEMENT. They do not have a competitive pay scale compared to other fleet mechanics locally.
Pros
lots of work to be done........you will get plenty of extra hours.
Cons
no time and a half pay, lots of promises but no results.
sucked as a trucking companie
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAMay 11, 2015
I worked there up till i hurt my back didnt know where i hurt my back so i turned it into my health insurance an the company wouldn't work with me i was going to be out just for 8 weeks should have turned in under worker compensation.
Rushed all the time never was given time to get right hazardous signs on truck was rushed to hook pups up my trl was never loaded. Was given load at 830 an had to get hazardous signs go look for a truck usely had to wait on a truck an hook trls up an do a pretrip in 15 mins lol
what a joke to work for. An HR want help because they dont care.
Pros
good hhealth care
Cons
everything
horrible place to work.
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2015
R&l doesn't care about their dock employees as much as their drivers. The management is very bad in both shifts. Very cold environment to work and insulation is very worn-down and i don’t know why they still pass inspections. The hourly pay is good, but don’t expect to get paid time & half after overtime. I worked in very bad conditions; even wen is below -30 in freezing conditions. Company health benefits are not the greatest neither. People come in and out of here because of how poorly they care about their employees, so don’t work for this company.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
Awful.
Loader (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 19, 2014
Lied to me about what hours I would work. It was probably the most unsafe place I've ever worked. Smoking was allowed around chemicals. None of the dock lights worked and employees were driving propane forklifts into dark trailers with chemicals on them with no idea of any leakage while SMOKING!! If OSHA came in they would be shut down! Management did not care. The supervisor was spitting dip on the dock while we worked. Absolutely horrible place to work. Just stay away! You can do better. It's not worth risking your life.
Pros
pay increases
Cons
everything else. safety especially! !
worst company
dock (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti,miNovember 3, 2013
Garbage. Pure garbage. Do not work here. I do work there now in Detroit and they treat you like a worthless person. Swear at you. Suspend you for stupid stuff. Supervisors dont do anything but get in your way while working and yell at you and talk behind your back. Most employees are dumber than a sack of rocks. But they are related to the managers so they get away with murder. No breaks lunch comes really late. Benifits are garbage and take a full paycheck a month for having insurance. McDonald's sounds better
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything, everyone blah
Fun workplace
Customer Service/Driver Check (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAOctober 12, 2012
My day start at slow pace, I start at 2 pm and there is another girl in the office with me until 4 pm we both answer the phone. After she leaves at 4 pm, that's when time will fly for me. Actually that is my favorite time of the day because next thing I know it's time to go home. after 5 pm my drivers start arriving at our terminal, I have to gather all the paperworks so that my co-workers at the dock can start working on their trailers. I need to be fast and accurate.
Pros
everyone gets along
Cons
night shift
This is a great job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 19, 2015
R+L Carriers is one of the best jobs I've ever had. The people are great, the management listens almost to a fault, and you honestly control your own destiny. If you work hard and seriously want to advance then that's really up to you. Nobody is going to hold you back. You have to give great customer service and really do your job. Don't bring your cell phone to work and just do your job.
Pros
Leadership, Work environment, advancement potential
Cons
Low starting salary
Don't even think about working for this company! Bad bad bad!
Diesel mechanic/ shop foreman (Former Employee) –  Phoenix,azJune 27, 2015
Worked as a diesel mechanic / shop foreman in the Phoenix ,az location.conditions are terrible.equipment is in horrible condition.the management is the worst I've ever worked for. Work for more than 8 hrs its straight time no time / half . This is company wide.they do not care about there employees at all just a number. Do yourself a favor stay away...unless you want to be miserable.
Pros
Some of the coworkers
Cons
R&l as a whole
Run for your life from this company
Former employee (Former Employee) –  San Jose californiaAugust 13, 2014
This terminal absolutely sucks. No moral what so ever. Terminal manager is like Teflon. Doesn't take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. He lets it slide of him and blames someone else. There is zero managerial skills at this terminal. Very late departures. Over worked and under paid. If you are a good driver you have to pick up the slack from all the other drivers.
Pros
can't think of any off the top of my head
Cons
where should i start
Only work at R+L Carriers if you have no other option..
Rates (Former Employee) –  Wilmington,OHDecember 7, 2012
No chance of being promoted
Outdated Software..buildings..equipment
Very Low Pay
You have to know the right people or be related to someone to get things accomplished
corporate office is useless
Most managers shouldn't be managers
Sales Executives are expected to sell..collect..fix errors..basically work 24/7 with no admin support
Pros
i can't think of any pros
Cons
low wages combined with expensive health insurance
Horrible place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lexington, kyJune 29, 2014
Work you into the ground long 14 to 16 hr days you get personal days and vacation but management wont let you take off. Hostile work environment constantly on your back and being harrased and wrote up for everything. No home time with my family company comes first they treat you like they own you they dont care about you your just a number here dont work here! The only good thing is the pay and benefits.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
everything else
Probably the worst LTL carrier in the business
driver (Former Employee) –  philadelphiaApril 21, 2015
This company scraps the bottom when it comes to management and drivers. They'll take any people with a pulse ,because their reputation proceeds them. Safety is just a word to R and L . When the chips are down, safety's out the window. R and L always runs understaffed because they're cheap and don't care. The reason the grass is greener on R and L's side is because it is moldy and putrified.
Pros
nothing
Cons
just about everything
looks like a good place from the outside... sooo untrue!
spotter (Former Employee) –  st. louis, mo.September 3, 2012
i wouldn't recommend working there unless you have no other options... management is horrible, no respect for their employees at all, was lied to from the beginning... no overtime pay, i don't have enough time to put all the negative on here... plenty of time for the positive, though it's such a small list, i won't waste my time on it
Cons
would not get lunch break till the 7th hour or later

2.6