R+L Carriers Employee Reviews

Would not recommend customer service if considering R&L
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, OHMarch 2, 2017
This place was a nightmare, people drop like flies out of this department, they can't keep it fully staffed even though they are constantly training new hires...the job isn't hard, you deal with a lot of mean people but they aren't half as bad as the management, management is under qualified and over all under educated. Upon telling my boss we could really fix the stigma in there and people would want to stay (as the job really is EASY) to which he replied "there is no astigmatism in this office" and implied that it was rude to use big words. They prefer their staff scared... and because of the STIGMA, other departments don't want to hire from customer service. There is little to no growth at this position, and on top of ALL of that, the hours are terrible and the pay is even worse. (Benefits + insurance aren't great)
Pros
Cafeteria, friendly coworkers
Cons
Management, benefits, work environment
In a downward spiral.
P and d and line haul driver (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIDecember 14, 2016
Both dock management and terminal manager are the worst I have worked for. They dont pay overtime. They play favorites with drivers. They push the hard working ones to do too much, while allowing the lazy one to do the bear minimum. They push you to work without lunch breaks, force ot without ot pay, and dont load freight in proper order to unload. You have to supply/purchase your own pallet jack. They talk a good game that they are family oriented company, but it is just talk. greatful to have parted ways with this company
Pros
Good p and d dispatcher
Cons
Horrible dock and terminal mgr, no ot pay at all, horible benefits
Lots of unpaid work time & expensive benifits
Linehaul Driver (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MNFebruary 5, 2017
Management and supervisors were fantastic. Very low key work environment. Over all it was a good job except for the low pay and expensive benefits. Also there was a lot of unpaid time. Waiting at turns, origin breakdowns, hook and drops, and other things that are out of the drivers control were all unpaid.
Pros
Low key, short nights unless you want extra work.
Cons
low pay and pour benefits.
Shiney Package
Line Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MNJanuary 31, 2017
Overhaul appearance is good and direct management is fair. Upper management however is extremely poor and seems not to care for it's workers, there safety, environment and equipment. Health and retirement benefits were good, but beyond that needs improvement.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Equipment and Yard maintenance
Very good Job
P+D (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PADecember 27, 2016
Ive been here for a year and i cant complain about anything except that im kinda bored. The money is great and so are the benefits but if you like to interact with customers on a personal level and have fun than thats the only downside. Otherwise this is a perfect company. Honestly. Easy job.
Pros
Money, benefits, home time
Cons
Cant really say theres any real cons. They take care of you if youre a worthy employee.
Very Fun and laid back place to work at,
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 26, 2016
Great Job, with a great group of co-workers i work with. Great supervision team. We help eachother when one another needs help. this is not a HARD job AT ALL. The most enjoyable thing is to be around employees with great humor that make you feel good as you work. I believe good character and laughter, not horse play, but laughter is what every job needs.
Pros
we can win jackets, walmart cards, great pay, fun people to work around, off on weekends
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Just to stay afloat
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Lorenzo, CAFebruary 28, 2017
This is a company to just stay afloat. No OT pay, 401k after 1 year, medical benefits very expensive, you share your truck with the line driver almost every day and trucks keep braking down. Awful management but great dispatcher.
Pros
Start pay 28.07
Cons
No OT pay, 401k
Great Family owned company
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2017
This company is constantly trying to over come business operations, sometimes for the better of employees, sometimes not. Overall I would recommend anyone to the company
benefits
Cons
lack of advancement
Ok if you just need a job
Regional Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 10, 2017
Hardly any vacation time. Not the best place to work. Not the most ethical place to work. Culture at headquarters is poor. Ownership is very set in their way.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor benefits
Poster-child for dysfunctionality
Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTAugust 18, 2016
My job was simple and I enjoyed it. The company overall is a mess. Preferential treatment starts from the very top. HR is staffed by bible-thumpers, at a central location that serves the whole county. Pay and benefits aren't great. PT dock workers actually take an hourly pay cut if they go FT! Locally, day and night shifts can't seem to work together for the common good. Supervisory presence is definitely lacking on the PM shift.

All that said, I had a lot of fun working at R+L! Lack of supervision isn't always a bad thing.
Pros
Hoblets, donuts on Friday, relaxed environment, weekly pay
Cons
Rumors + Lies, Denver Broncos
good carrier
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 19, 2016
great carrier, great work balance -Life balance. Salary is competitive, goals are bit of a challenge, bonuses are based on moving targets. Probably one of the best quality carriers out there.
Good people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2016
the benefits were really good, everyone was great to work with, with the exception of 1 manager. it could seem overwhelming at times but if you just breath it really was not bad at all
Pros
good benefits, good people to work with
Cons
the 1 manager that was rude
Stay away from this company
Line Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 4, 2016
If you have a job u better stay there don't even think about it to work for this company I stared as a line haul driver staring at 9pm to 10 am sometimes 11am good hours after a couple of months the guy on charge I won't say manager that's to much title for that alcoholic guy, well he moved me to p&d working on the dock for 3 to 4 hours I was doing between 13 to 17 deliveries and doing 5 to 9 pickups everyday as a p&d driver u only gonna get 34 to 40 hours if u have luck makes 42 hours pay hourly is 26.33,benefits are expensive, trucks are fair I was luck driving one of the new ones , oh another big thing there's only like 4 drivers that have over one year working there everybody is quitting everybody is complaining drivers start 10am to 11am then u has to be rushing all day long without taking ur brakes
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Poor Management
Good Start
Security Operator (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, OHDecember 26, 2016
R&L is a unique employer, they have giveaways for employees and after you have been there for a year you have the opportunity to apply for positions in other departments in order to advance your career. However, the pay is very low and they will pay more for new employees, versus employees that have already been working for the company, which I feel is bad business. The company has also been around for so long that the chain of command is nonexistent, management thinks its okay to contact ceo's-very unprofessional.
Pros
cafeteria and hours
Cons
pay and workplace culture
R & L Carrier
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJ 08016October 30, 2016
R & L was a part time job and I needed benefits that comes with a full time job or a salary high enough to compensate for no benefits. I keep in touch many of my coworker from R&L.
Pros
Great group of people
Cons
Part time do not receive benefits
not place to work unless you need experience
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TNJuly 7, 2016
I worked there a while ago, but i took day off and got fired. The other new guys missed 2 days a week , but nothing. Oh yea they were family friends with managers. They do not give you enough hours so they don't have to give you benefits. It is a easy job any one can do any job in there, simple for beginners. They were not very helpful, no one wanted to do anything for any one else.
Pros
easy
Cons
no hours and nepotism
Good place to work, very family oriented.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 24, 2016
I worked there for twelve and a half years. Only left because I needed to relocate my 16 year old son. I tried to get a transfer, but was unable to to get it.
Pros
Lots of benefits, good pay, they care about there people.
Cons
Did not pay over time
Fast paced workplace that makes the time fly
Forklift Operator/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 17, 2016
I typically work a 5 hour shift and it feels like it goes by very quick because we are usually very busy at work. I work a small outbound operation with 1 other guy and a dock supervisor who I enjoy working with. We dont communicate much unless it has to do with something on the dock, but we are too busy to stop and talk for the most part. The hardest part of my job is getting pieces to fit on trailers that wont or will just barely fit and making sure they are secure. The most enjoyable part is sitting on my lift and pulling freight off the back of a trailer, it is easy and not physically challenging in any way.
Pros
Pays well hourly
Cons
No full time or insurance benefits offered
Great company to work for, local supervisor is a little hard, but over all good
Driver/Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 26, 2016
Most days I would start work at 830 am, clock in, work feight on the dock and load freight on trucks, get my feight bills and do my pre trip truck inspection. driver my assigned route and deliver freight.
Pros
great company, really good benifits and pay
Cons
long days and sometimes hard to make plans for time off
good company good benefits
operation manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLAugust 17, 2016
very demanding w/long hours is a typical day . I learned that a good listener and sense of organization and cool demeanor are key to being a manager. I became a manager because I accept responsibility and see the business as a whole . I accept employees are not perfect but daily reinforcement of company policy and consistency are essential to daily success. The hardest part of this particular job was the outside factors such as equipment failure and unexpected time failures that tend to back your operation up .the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing with a plan in place and willingness to adjust for the sake of your customers that you could clock out every day knowing you did your best .
Pros
job security
Cons
long hours and pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R+L Carriers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9