R+L Carriers Employee Reviews in United States

High Pay, low expectations, no respect
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  West SacramentoDecember 24, 2015
I was employeed with R+L for more than a few years. A call to the corporate office in Ohio to the Safety department unknowingly summed up my experiences.

A clerk answered the phone and asked who I was. I told her my name and stated that I was the Terminal Manager. Having hindsight now, her response was symptomatic of the culture.

"You know what "TM" stands for, right? Temporary Manager"... As a TM/General Manager at other facilities, I had been trusted with various responsibilities. R+L treats their Managers more as Operations Managers, with very little input regarding the day to day operations. Not many KPI's you have to deal with, no financial obligations to regulate either.

The pay was great, hours were long, drivers (as they often do) never seemed to like the company, even though they (R+L) preach a "driver first" mentality.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Micro Management, loss of control
Terrible company
Team driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 1, 2016
Stay away from R&l carriers they will put anything on your dac report that they can. They gave me a chargeable accident for trailer skirt coming off while driving down the road. Also you are not sure what your pay is they pay by the load and vary from terminal to terminal so no one can tell you what run pays. Stay away. Hey if you don't care about your career or pay you hey this is the company for you. Management don't not support you in anything and you are only a driver code and a truck number here. Management and dispatch will not help you with anything don't nobody know nothing here. Also they are not up to date with technology it's very lengthy paper work process.
Pros
Off 2 days
This is a great job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 19, 2015
R+L Carriers is one of the best jobs I've ever had. The people are great, the management listens almost to a fault, and you honestly control your own destiny. If you work hard and seriously want to advance then that's really up to you. Nobody is going to hold you back. You have to give great customer service and really do your job. Don't bring your cell phone to work and just do your job.
Pros
Leadership, Work environment, advancement potential
Cons
Low starting salary
horrible place to work.
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2015
R&l doesn't care about their dock employees as much as their drivers. The management is very bad in both shifts. Very cold environment to work and insulation is very worn-down and i don’t know why they still pass inspections. The hourly pay is good, but don’t expect to get paid time & half after overtime. I worked in very bad conditions; even wen is below -30 in freezing conditions. Company health benefits are not the greatest neither. People come in and out of here because of how poorly they care about their employees, so don’t work for this company.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
Stay away from this company
Line Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 4, 2016
If you have a job u better stay there don't even think about it to work for this company I stared as a line haul driver staring at 9pm to 10 am sometimes 11am good hours after a couple of months the guy on charge I won't say manager that's to much title for that alcoholic guy, well he moved me to p&d working on the dock for 3 to 4 hours I was doing between 13 to 17 deliveries and doing 5 to 9 pickups everyday as a p&d driver u only gonna get 34 to 40 hours if u have luck makes 42 hours pay hourly is 26.33,benefits are expensive, trucks are fair I was luck driving one of the new ones , oh another big thing there's only like 4 drivers that have over one year working there everybody is quitting everybody is complaining drivers start 10am to 11am then u has to be rushing all day long without taking ur brakes
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Poor Management
Fast paced workplace that makes the time fly
Forklift Operator/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 17, 2016
I typically work a 5 hour shift and it feels like it goes by very quick because we are usually very busy at work. I work a small outbound operation with 1 other guy and a dock supervisor who I enjoy working with. We dont communicate much unless it has to do with something on the dock, but we are too busy to stop and talk for the most part. The hardest part of my job is getting pieces to fit on trailers that wont or will just barely fit and making sure they are secure. The most enjoyable part is sitting on my lift and pulling freight off the back of a trailer, it is easy and not physically challenging in any way.
Pros
Pays well hourly
Cons
No full time or insurance benefits offered
Cool Envirement
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAMarch 23, 2016
Mostly different forklift operation. I like the management staff they were easy going and understanding to the work ethic of employees so it wasn't a stressful environment to work
Pros
Layed back work
Cons
Hours
Difficult work enviorment
diesel mechanic (Former Employee) –  Burlington, New JerseyJuly 15, 2015
When working at R&L Carriers I found that the work environment to be hostile. A typical day consisted of making sure that every minute was counted for. There was no management during the night shift, so the employees were responsible for making any major decisions and if it was something the management didn't agree with you were severally reprimanded. I learned not to trust the management because they would tell us things that were not true. The co-workers were all pleasant and enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job was watching people steal company time. Also the hours in which i worked were difficult to adjust to, and they didn't pay time and a half. The most enjoyable part if my job was the money and the vacation time.
Pros
Health benifits, pay
Cons
managment
Great employees!
Route Sales Driver (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAJune 4, 2016
Fellow drivers and dock staff work very hard to help each other out in order to deliver on the promise to customers. Just need to have the company replace the local West Sacramento Terminal Manager. Sadly lacks social skills with employee base and has anger issues.
Other management is outstanding!!
Bob Zimmerman is a man of character and taking this company to greater heights....
I would strongly recommend RL Carriers to those in the industry.
Pros
Hard working employees
Cons
Local TM
Terrible place to work.
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 21, 2016
Worst place to work, treats employees unfairly, harassed. Management is awful as well as super visors ecspecially the doc supervisor, management will not handle a situation so it only gets worse.
Horrible Place To Work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2016
Currently work for company as line haul driver. No one communicates. They assign you a truck but when you come in to start your shift that truck has been assigned to some driver from the temp service. They force you to do swaps which take you about 2 hours to do because of traffic which by the way is not hourly. It pays $29. Then you have to sit around up to 5 hours if not longer for your load (which is always late) and you don't get paid for waiting. Don't let the pay rate confuse you. We are the lowest paid in the freight business.
Pros
Equipment
Cons
Pay and Route Pay
not place to work unless you need experience
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TNJuly 7, 2016
I worked there a while ago, but i took day off and got fired. The other new guys missed 2 days a week , but nothing. Oh yea they were family friends with managers. They do not give you enough hours so they don't have to give you benefits. It is a easy job any one can do any job in there, simple for beginners. They were not very helpful, no one wanted to do anything for any one else.
Pros
easy
Cons
no hours and nepotism
Run like Forest Gump from this place!
Pre Clerk and Appointment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJune 25, 2016
I worked for this company as a pre-clerk and an appointment clerk. The worst job I've ever had. The terminal manager is CRAZY! He's very disrespectful and unprofessional. I would not refer anyone to work for this particular terminal. The pay was very low, the place is dirty, and all the computers are very outdated.
Pros
Location was close to my house.
Cons
Dirty workspace, outdated computers, and very low pay.
A typical day at work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 12, 2015
I would go out on the dock every morning and look over OSD issues that were in my area, and would then come in and work a switch board, and start working on reports for claims. I really enjoyed the fast paced and friendly atmosphere that R&L carrier offered. I had to leave due to personal reasons, and I'm still very close to several of the associates and members of management. Great company to work for.
Pros
Health care benifits, friendly work enviroment, encourged to learn and grow with in the company.
Stone Age company
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 5, 2016
This is a very poorly run company .managers/ supervisors never know what they're doing. equipment is outdated, no health insurance .they will work you to the last second to kick you out just to not pay for your health insurance. This company is still stuck in the Stone Age. In the short time that I was there a month has seen more than 10 people come and go in a short period of time this tells you a lot.
Pros
No pros
Very Fast paced poor training
Freight Handler (Former Employee) –  Sauget, ILApril 10, 2016
Management pushes you very hard , upper management are sh t talkers no breaks for part time 6 hours shift ,
you unload your trailer ( DUMP IT ) just to get one piece of HOT freight (DUMB) they still use paper manifest for each trailer WOW
Very poorly ran , high turn around , very under staffed ,people quit every day , very stressful work place .
Every man for himself mentality on the floor , you run out of gas you walk and get your on tank ( pathetic )
Hourly pay isn't bad $ 12.98 to start , but they can't keep employees , I made it six weeks , your clothes are filthy , plus theirs a click with some employees
, if you take the job stay part time no part time employees want a full time positions their
because there is no overtime pay at all no matter what you work in a week even anything over 40 hours you just get straight pay . Starting pay is $ 11.70 hour for full time because of insurance benefits . If you call off they want you to make it up in that week , but you only work 30 hours a week part time . If you can drive a forklift , they'll hire you , they don't do drug test either . Guarantee work thought no layoffs , if you need a job , give them a try , maybe your experience will be better than mine
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No break poor working conditions poorly managed
Customer Service issues along with OS&D issues
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CAAugust 30, 2015
This is the first transportation company I have worked for that the customer service also had to do OS&D issues. It was a very different experience but I came to realize how I liked handling OS&D issues. Along with customer service had to help drivers with issues and help dispatch with pick ups.
Pros
Experience with OS&D
Cons
No Raises
No training, no rules enforced, sucking up is good
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 21, 2016
If you like kissing but to get to where you want to end up in the company this is the company for you. They demand a lot out of every employee and if you are willing to work harder than expect to be fully exploited for your ability and then watch inadequate coworkers do as they choose to w no recourse.
Pros
Free resorts.
Cons
Healthcare is poor, pay is average for industry.
High Pressure Sales Environment
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 20, 2016
Office out of your home. It is a high pressure, results oriented atmosphere, but lacks leadership at the director and executive levels. We mostly work independently, so there is limited interaction with other sales reps. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the incompetence of the operations. The most enjoyable part is the flexibility of the work day.
Not a place for a good mechanic
Diesel Truck Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 22, 2016
Management will tell yu one thing and turn around and tell there boss something else to make you look bad.. Coworks are backstabbing if you dont fit in with there clicks they have set up already.Not a place to work if you looking to have a career with. An the terminal is a mess.
Cons
Everything about this place

2.9