R+L Carriers Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible Place To Work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2016
Currently work for company as line haul driver. No one communicates. They assign you a truck but when you come in to start your shift that truck has been assigned to some driver from the temp service. They force you to do swaps which take you about 2 hours to do because of traffic which by the way is not hourly. It pays $29. Then you have to sit around up to 5 hours if not longer for your load (which is always late) and you don't get paid for waiting. Don't let the pay rate confuse you. We are the lowest paid in the freight business.
Pros
Equipment
Cons
Pay and Route Pay
Stone Age company
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 5, 2016
This is a very poorly run company .managers/ supervisors never know what they're doing. equipment is outdated, no health insurance .they will work you to the last second to kick you out just to not pay for your health insurance. This company is still stuck in the Stone Age. In the short time that I was there a month has seen more than 10 people come and go in a short period of time this tells you a lot.
Pros
No pros
Not a good company to work for
Dock Manager (Current Employee) –  UtahMarch 17, 2016
If you need experience get it and leave. The company is all about itself not the people working. I have seen people leave and make more money working for a small company. management will not help fix things they just hang out with each other and make fun of the workers. The dock supervisor on nights won't do anything at all Leaves it to his lead guy to do everything.
Pros
experience
Cons
management and pay
No training, no rules enforced, sucking up is good
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 21, 2016
If you like kissing but to get to where you want to end up in the company this is the company for you. They demand a lot out of every employee and if you are willing to work harder than expect to be fully exploited for your ability and then watch inadequate coworkers do as they choose to w no recourse.
Pros
Free resorts.
Cons
Healthcare is poor, pay is average for industry.
High Pressure Sales Environment
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 20, 2016
Office out of your home. It is a high pressure, results oriented atmosphere, but lacks leadership at the director and executive levels. We mostly work independently, so there is limited interaction with other sales reps. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the incompetence of the operations. The most enjoyable part is the flexibility of the work day.
Terrible company
Team driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 1, 2016
Stay away from R&l carriers they will put anything on your dac report that they can. They gave me a chargeable accident for trailer skirt coming off while driving down the road. Also you are not sure what your pay is they pay by the load and vary from terminal to terminal so no one can tell you what run pays. Stay away. Hey if you don't care about your career or pay you hey this is the company for you. Management don't not support you in anything and you are only a driver code and a truck number here. Management and dispatch will not help you with anything don't nobody know nothing here. Also they are not up to date with technology it's very lengthy paper work process.
Pros
Off 2 days
love it
driver (Former Employee) –  Pacoima, CANovember 15, 2015
a typical day a work is coming to work and see a whole lot activity in the docks people loading and unloading trailers getting ready for the day, I learn that went it comes to driving even in the most busy day you need to be cautious manager was professional and respectful , my coworkers were friendly ,the hardest part of the job was to have to deliver a really huge pallet and not having the right equipment ,I really enjoy working here because of the challenges I encounter every day was a different challenge.
Pros
company own time shares and provide the workers with free stay at they're lounges.
Cons
short brakes
High Pay, low expectations, no respect
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  West SacramentoDecember 24, 2015
I was employeed with R+L for more than a few years. A call to the corporate office in Ohio to the Safety department unknowingly summed up my experiences.

A clerk answered the phone and asked who I was. I told her my name and stated that I was the Terminal Manager. Having hindsight now, her response was symptomatic of the culture.

"You know what "TM" stands for, right? Temporary Manager"... As a TM/General Manager at other facilities, I had been trusted with various responsibilities. R+L treats their Managers more as Operations Managers, with very little input regarding the day to day operations. Not many KPI's you have to deal with, no financial obligations to regulate either.

The pay was great, hours were long, drivers (as they often do) never seemed to like the company, even though they (R+L) preach a "driver first" mentality.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Micro Management, loss of control
Horrible place to work!!!
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 28, 2016
Favoritism at its worst! Supervisor sleeping with an employee so she receives special treatment. I worked in the billing office and it was part time with low pay. Run far, far away from this place!
Pros
Cons
Favoritism, low pay, not enough hours
horrible place to work.
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2015
R&l doesn't care about their dock employees as much as their drivers. The management is very bad in both shifts. Very cold environment to work and insulation is very worn-down and i don’t know why they still pass inspections. The hourly pay is good, but don’t expect to get paid time & half after overtime. I worked in very bad conditions; even wen is below -30 in freezing conditions. Company health benefits are not the greatest neither. People come in and out of here because of how poorly they care about their employees, so don’t work for this company.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
This is a great job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 19, 2015
R+L Carriers is one of the best jobs I've ever had. The people are great, the management listens almost to a fault, and you honestly control your own destiny. If you work hard and seriously want to advance then that's really up to you. Nobody is going to hold you back. You have to give great customer service and really do your job. Don't bring your cell phone to work and just do your job.
Pros
Leadership, Work environment, advancement potential
Cons
Low starting salary
enjoyable work enviroment
Dock worker (Current Employee) –  New Carlisle, INJanuary 7, 2016
Fill forklift gas tank. Begin unloading freight by scanning shipment and moving it to appropriate location. Once all trailers are unloaded sweep the trailer out. Begin loading freight that was unloaded into trailers.
Pros
possitive attitudes
Cons
cold weather
Cool Envirement
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAMarch 23, 2016
Mostly different forklift operation. I like the management staff they were easy going and understanding to the work ethic of employees so it wasn't a stressful environment to work
Pros
Layed back work
Cons
Hours
good place to work
Freight Handler (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAOctober 26, 2015
Normal work day starts at 3 am. Unloading freight from inbound trailers. Loading city trailers for delivery simultaneously. Until all city trailers were loaded, with inbound trailers coming into terminal until 9 or 9:30 for city trailers to be loaded by 9:00. Kind of hard to have city trailers loaded by 9 when freight still coming in at 9:30 am. Accountability of damaged freight is difficult when freight looks the way it should but damaged on the inside of boxes. That was for the Inbound crew. Multiple people handling freight with attitude of not my problem.
Outbound crew I was also on, unloading city trailers of freight due to all points in the U.S. Loading trailers for different terminal destinations. Definitely liked this shift better, Damaged freight was rarely ever an issue.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
3 am is an early start of a work day
Busy Transportation Company with lots to learn.
Lead City Dispatcher / Outbound Dock Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CAOctober 4, 2015
Numbers driven company, it's all about the numbers, run a good BPH (bills per hour), you look good. Found it hard to get promoted. High phone volume and not enough support to handle it and still expected to perform at expected level. General office politics with big company, but that's expected. Did learn a lot from the people I work/worked with. I have grown professionally with my time at R & L Carriers.
Pros
Comapny owned Resorts for employee use
Cons
Very High Stress with little support from upper Mgnt.
Terrible place to work.
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 21, 2016
Worst place to work, treats employees unfairly, harassed. Management is awful as well as super visors ecspecially the doc supervisor, management will not handle a situation so it only gets worse.
R&L Carriers
Dock worker/Yard Jockey (Current Employee) –  farmingtonSeptember 20, 2015
I start work at 3am Monday through Friday. I start off my day moving semi trailers to there designated doors to be unloaded from the warehouse dock employees. after a 2 to 3 hours doing that, I come inside the warehouse and start unloading freight from trailers while im guiding my other 12 employees throughout the day. I like what I do its just hard working for a company that are not appreciated of there employees. The most fun part of my job is that I work with a good group of guys who have been through a lot of changes and we are are close and have a lot of respect for eachother. The most hardest part of my job is moving semi trailers in the winter when its really cold and a lot of problems happen with equipment.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
insurance
Excellent Company
CLASS A DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  San Fernando, CADecember 28, 2015
I worked for R+L for over 8 years and they are very dedicated to seeing that their employees are treated fairly and will go over and beyond to make sure you are happy.
Pros
They have 3 resorts in the US you can visit for free.
Productive and fun place of work
Repair Technician / Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, OHJanuary 21, 2016
A wonderful place to work, highly recommended. Everyone you see is exceptionally nice and considerate and you will never not smile your entire shift.
company is NOT a fun company to work for.
Dock Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TexasSeptember 9, 2015
Company doesn't care much for their employees. Management has no structure. they will not provide company policy in handbook form. company claims to have a no punishment policy but does not practice it. company does not take action when management makes threats to dock employees concerning their well-being and/or employment.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Bad Work Environment