R.H. Donnelley Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun work place
National Copy Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 14, 2013
" You work hard you play hard" was not just a saying it was a culture there.The company provided picnics, lunches, flexible schedule, March Madness basketball tournaments, everyday dress casual and early closings for holidays for its employees for making sure the goals and the needs of the company were met. The environment there was family oriented and everyone knew to achieve success we had to work together and realize our customers are not just external but internal as well. Managers did not micro manage but worked just as hard to make sure you succeeded at the company and that in their absence any team member could handle any problem that arose.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the internal and external customers but also the perks we received for doing a job well done.
Pros
Free lunches, picnics, benefits, pay etc...
Cons
They outsourced
Great work inviroment
Local Marketing Consultant Southwest Region (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 28, 2013
• Worked with established and new customers, served as the market expert on how to help them reach consumers with a targeted advertising campaign.
• Developed and grew account management by selling marketing campaigns using Dex-branded products and solutions to meet clients’ business needs.
• Collaborated with cross functional teams to implement new sales strategies and products.
• Conducted successful cold calling and B2B door swings and telemarketing to grow revenue.
• As Sales Consultant, implemented strategic marketing to large businesses. Pitched the benefits of a partnership to business leaders and made prospect cold calls offering incentives and increasing business growth
Pros
rewarding
Cons
none ethical
Thoroughly enjoyed my time here
Sr Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNMarch 5, 2014
dex media (formerly US WEST Dex/R.H. Donnelley/Dex One) has been a terrific career filled with great solutions for customers and coworkers. I would recommend dex media as a provider of solutions for SMBs.

While the company reinvents itself as a digital advertising agency, the new landscape is to too competitive to offset losses from the print product, causing the size of the company to contract.
Pros
Products and services, coworkers
Cons
Shrinking company
I had a great boss and co-workers
Project Manager-Sales Financial Analysis (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COSeptember 17, 2013
The past year at RHD was the hardest as the process to merge with Super Media started in Aug 2012 and the merger was finalized in May 2013. Workforce reductions began almost immediately and continue to this day.
Pros
flexible work location policy, healthcare benefits
Cons
Lack of job security and advancement
Was my life time job/career.
Customer Service Rep.Claims Dispute resolution (Former Employee) –  Loan Tree, COApril 17, 2013
A typical day at work was answering phones and helping resolve customer issues (big and small). I learned how to deal with ANGRY customers and not let it get to me personally.
My management team at Dex was wonderful. I could have not asked for better leaders, and friends. They made my job! This position was stressful at times, and the management and their leadership is what made my job worth looking forward too every day. Same goes with my co-workers at Dex. We became friends and support for each other. I still speak to most of them!
The hardest part of the job was having to listen to a very upset customer attack me personally.
The most enjoyable part was the people I got to work with every day, the managers and co-workers.
Pros
amazing company and management!
Cons
i got laid off!
Good Company, Great Benefits, Decent Suite of Products
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Bedford NHFebruary 12, 2014
Typical day at work: Go over calendar and appointments, Prep accounts and presentations, Premise appointments, Consult with clients as to their needs, propose programs designed to help clients.

What I Learned: That good sales people have 2 ears and 1 mouth, and they should be used accordingly

Management: Upper management has to learn to not manage by quarters.

Co-workers: Best group of professionals I have had the pleasure to learn from

Hardest Part of the job: Internal support and fulfillment

Most enjoyable part of the job: Being thanked by a client for helping them to grow their business
Pros
Work from home, flexible schedule, work independently
Cons
Excessive administration duties
Sinking ship
Premise rep (Former Employee) –  Seattle waAugust 10, 2014
It used to be a fun place to work but then dex one merged with Supermedia. The merger was poorly handled leaving reps scrambling. They didn't merge the products so reps are supposed to know all the dex and Supermedia products. On top of that the most of the products don't work. The company has been going downhill for awhile. And there is a lot of pressure to sell, only you spend 80 percent of your time calling angry customers, bill collecting from customers and fixing problems with they way the contract was loaded. Doesn't leave much time to sell.
Unless you are desperate, look somewhere else for a job.
Pros
iPad, mileage, phone
Cons
Bad executives, no time to sell, products are ineffective
Productive fast paced environment that rewarded individuals to succeed
Directory and Internet Advertsising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 8, 2013
Dex Media provided their employees with all the tools to succeed in their goals. Training, work place environment, managers, sales aids and constant on the job training to keep one up on current trends in the industry. The benefits, medical, dental, car/cell phone allowance, per diem, rewards and recognition for a job well done were fully compensated to allow employees to be the best they could be.
Pros
Compensated Success
Cons
Minor intra department frustrations
Fun place to work.
Production Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCApril 20, 2012
A typical day at work: Very relaxed. You knew what was expected each day of your job.

What I learned: How to work in a professional environment.

Management: Had it's good one's and bad one's like on any job.

Co-workers: Worked together as a team.

The hardest part of the job: Being laid off.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Going to work, laughing with co-workers. The over all job was enjoyable.
Pros
incentives, weight room on facility along with a shower.
Cons
lay-offs
Great group of people with great benefits
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT III (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 7, 2013
A typical day at work was never routine. Generally the day would begin with running sales reports from the previous day. Followed by reviewing and responding to email and other correspondance. The rest of the day was spent on current projects, filing, attending to vendors, monitoring supplies, and supporting the management team as well as the sale department.

I could not have asked for a better group to work with. The management was knowledgeable and willing to teach all the while commanding (vs demanding) respect.

As this was a support position, my co-workers were the sales team as well as management. However, I did have many opportunities to work with other assistant's throughout the company via phone and email.

The hardest part of the job was cross referencing reports. Each report had to be compared to several others making sure all the numbers matched. If there was a discrepancy the reason had to be found.

The most enjoyable part was the self-satisfaction in knowing I was a part of my director and the sales team being successful. I also tremendously enjoyed planning events.
great place to work
District Sales Manager II (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 8, 2014
Very good compensation package. Upper management was fair. Local management was lacking many things.
Excellent company, management, people and opportunity for advancement
Director, Assistant Controller-Financial Reporting (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJune 3, 2013
The past 8 years at Dex Media, Inc. (formerly Dex One Corporation, R.H. Donnelley Corporation) have been the most rewarding of my professional career. The learning experience, opportunity for advancement, people and environment are things that I will cherish forever and will no doubt have an influence on my future roles and responsibilities.
Don't be fooled
Outside sales rep (Former Employee) –  Lexington KYSeptember 6, 2014
If you are looking for a career you would do best to look elsewhere. This company has been in trouble for a long time. We suffered through numerous "downsizings" only to have many offices closed this year. Some of us had worked there for more than 20 years. The print portion of the business is becoming obsolete, and there is so much competition selling digital advertising that the market is saturated. Think "sinking ship".
Very quiet atmosphere and serious
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COAugust 27, 2013
Worked on a team of 8 and we each worked very indpendently.
The manager was gone frequently.
Co-workers were very good people.
We scheduled team activities.
Hardest part of the job was if someone quit.
The most enjoyable part was when our vendor took us out to expensive dinners and lunches.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not good benefits in recent years
Fun place to work but lots of changes
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 2, 2013
The sale is the hardest part of the job; but the environment, depending on your manager, makes it worthwhile. The team spirit is the most enjoyable part of the job. Compensation is there with effort.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation
Cons
Changing environment
Incredible Career Opportunity For the Up and Coming Sales Agent
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 28, 2014
My typical day as a Marketing Consultant for Dex Media (R.H. Donnelley) consists of calling on leads and assigned advertisers, setting appointments to review their existing marketing efforts, analyze their website for rankability, offer solutions on how to improve their exposure to their target market, create solutions for their next year of marketing and impliment them through partnership with our graphic artists, website developers, SEO/SEM campaign managers and act as a liaison to the client business owner.
I have greatly enjoyed the people I've worked and trained with within the organization. They are excellent at finding great people to represent them directly to local business owners. Sharp, bright and diplomatic individuals who are highly motivated and determined to succeed within a very nurturing and innovative work environment.
One thing I feel is a weakness within the company; their internal systems. But, I recently learned that they have a strategy to simplify their account boarding process in 2015. This is amazing amidst such a fast-paced company that seeks to set the precedence in marketing innovations nationwide.
Pros
Workplace culture and quality agents with character and integrity.
Cons
Internal account boarding systems, which will simplify in 2015.
R H Donnelly
New Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZFebruary 8, 2013
I worked for this company for 22 years as a Sales Rep, Sales Manager, Product marketing Manager, and an Internet Marketing Manager. Due to down sizing we were offered a buy out program and I took it to start my company.
Pros
good salary and people to work with.
Cons
ownership changed 3 times
a typical day at work
PeopleSoft Systems Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  DFW Airport Area, TexasJanuary 27, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Good Business Gone Wrong
Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  New EnglandMay 29, 2014
A once great company - it really is a shame.

Employees are treated like a commodity while executives get big bonuses for running the company into the ground.

Empty ideas + Poor execution = Failure

Latest motivating approach: "There is no plan B!"

Typical day - Most utilized management styles: fear, threats, intimidation, and mis-information. Call in for assistance with an issue - be transferred to 2-3+ people (maybe in the USA, maybe in India, maybe in who-knows-where, maybe you can understand them, maybe you can't) to still not get an answer for the client, who is left uncertain. Todays fulfillment issues taking weeks to fix. Morning/noontime/evening update calls - no explanation (regardless of it's legitimacy: prepping for appointments, seeing clients, dropping in on new business prospects, dealing with a multitude of possible fulfillment issues, talking irate clients off the ledge, updating CRM, trying to process paperwork, etc.) is good enough as to why you have not sold the flavor of the day/week/month.

Support and fulfillment functions get stripped, sales positions get reduced or outright eliminated, and commissions & benefits are diminished all while Sr. Executives get congratulated, rewarded, and compensated.

It appears only a matter of time before the fat cats once again make out big for driving the company headlong to the next merger or (cough, cough) debt restructure - while everyone else, "those that keep the ship afloat" and their customers are left in the wake.
Pros
Pay & Benefits in New England ONLY because of the Union contract, (both of which the company is going after)
Cons
Management of the Company from top to bottom, Selling 3rd party products & services, Insufficient product training, High employee turn-over, Working 10-12 hours/day and weekends is still not good enough, Poor product fulfillment, Does everything on the cheap, No genuine appetite for feedback or ideas.
Not recommended
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Southwest RegionJuly 31, 2014
I worked as an outside sales rep for several years in the SW region. To be brief, the sales reps are good people, and outside work the managers were okay. Unfortunately, the products are faltering and the company leadership is having a very difficult time righting the ship. You are judged for keeping and maintaining your existing client base which means if someone cancels, you are now on the hook for finding someone to replace them in order to get your numbers back up. Nevermind if that customer left because they spend hundreds or thousands every month and got almost nothing in return.

It was very difficult to sell their products knowing that there was a low chance of success for your client who has placed their trust in you.
Pros
Good pay for performance and good hours.
Cons
It's about 1/2 step above selling snake oil.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R.H. Donnelley. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6