R.H. Donnelley

R.H. Donnelley Employer Reviews

great place to work
District Sales Manager II (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 8, 2014
Very good compensation package. Upper management was fair. Local management was lacking many things.
Don't be fooled
Outside sales rep (Former Employee), Lexington KYSeptember 6, 2014
If you are looking for a career you would do best to look elsewhere. This company has been in trouble for a long time. We suffered through numerous "downsizings" only to have many offices closed this year. Some of us had worked there for more than 20 years. The print portion of the business is becoming obsolete, and there is so much competition selling – more... digital advertising that the market is saturated. Think "sinking ship". – less
Sinking ship
Premise rep (Former Employee), Seattle waAugust 10, 2014
Pros: ipad, mileage, phone
Cons: bad executives, no time to sell, products are ineffective
It used to be a fun place to work but then dex one merged with Supermedia. The merger was poorly handled leaving reps scrambling. They didn't merge the products so reps are supposed to know all the dex and Supermedia products. On top of that the most of the products don't work. The company has been going downhill for awhile. And there is a lot of pressure – more... to sell, only you spend 80 percent of your time calling angry customers, bill collecting from customers and fixing problems with they way the contract was loaded. Doesn't leave much time to sell.
Unless you are desperate, look somewhere else for a job. – less
Not recommended
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), Southwest RegionJuly 31, 2014
Pros: good pay for performance and good hours.
Cons: it's about 1/2 step above selling snake oil.
I worked as an outside sales rep for several years in the SW region. To be brief, the sales reps are good people, and outside work the managers were okay. Unfortunately, the products are faltering and the company leadership is having a very difficult time righting the ship. You are judged for keeping and maintaining your existing client base which means – more... if someone cancels, you are now on the hook for finding someone to replace them in order to get your numbers back up. Nevermind if that customer left because they spend hundreds or thousands every month and got almost nothing in return.

It was very difficult to sell their products knowing that there was a low chance of success for your client who has placed their trust in you. – less
Old School . . . but not in a good way
Clien Solution Specialist (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJuly 15, 2014
Fear and intimidation were the majority of management tactics used- little else.
hands on training. lots of hours worked,day and night
Digital operations (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCJuly 12, 2014
Pros: great company
Cons: long hours
great company to work for. lots of teamwork required. intense proof reading skills
Good Business Gone Wrong
Media Consultant (Former Employee), New EnglandMay 29, 2014
Pros: pay & benefits in new england only because of the union contract, (both of which the company is going after)
Cons: management of the company from top to bottom, selling 3rd party products & services, insufficient product training, high employee turn-over, working 10-12 hours/day and weekends is still not good enough, poor product fulfillment, does everything on the cheap, no genuine appetite for feedback or ideas.
A once great company - it really is a shame.

Employees are treated like a commodity while executives get big bonuses for running the company into the ground.

Empty ideas + Poor execution = Failure

Latest motivating approach: "There is no plan B!"

Typical day - Most utilized management styles: fear, threats, intimidation, and mis-information. Call – more... in for assistance with an issue - be transferred to 2-3+ people (maybe in the USA, maybe in India, maybe in who-knows-where, maybe you can understand them, maybe you can't) to still not get an answer for the client, who is left uncertain. Todays fulfillment issues taking weeks to fix. Morning/noontime/evening update calls - no explanation (regardless of it's legitimacy: prepping for appointments, seeing clients, dropping in on new business prospects, dealing with a multitude of possible fulfillment issues, talking irate clients off the ledge, updating CRM, trying to process paperwork, etc.) is good enough as to why you have not sold the flavor of the day/week/month.

Support and fulfillment functions get stripped, sales positions get reduced or outright eliminated, and commissions & benefits are diminished all while Sr. Executives get congratulated, rewarded, and compensated.

It appears only a matter of time before the fat cats once again make out big for driving the company headlong to the next merger or (cough, cough) debt restructure - while everyone else, "those that keep the ship afloat" and their customers are left in the wake. – less
Enjoyed my time at Dex One
Sales Operations, Planning and Analysis (Former Employee), Cary, NCMarch 19, 2014
Open door policy with management. Always open to suggestions on how to improve processes.
Good Company, Great Benefits, Decent Suite of Products
Media Consultant (Current Employee), Bedford NHMarch 14, 2014
Pros: top notch sales force, superb training
Cons: manages business by quarters
The finest Sales Executives I have ever had the opportunity to work with.
Great people which makes the experience enjoyable.
Regional Marketing Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 6, 2014
Pros: compensation, people
Cons: hours
Great co-workers. Everyone works very hard, cares about the success of the company and work as a team. Very few individual agendas.
Thoroughly enjoyed my time here
Sr Product Manager (Current Employee), Maple Grove, MNMarch 5, 2014
Pros: products and services, coworkers
Cons: shrinking company
dex media (formerly US WEST Dex/R.H. Donnelley/Dex One) has been a terrific career filled with great solutions for customers and coworkers. I would recommend dex media as a provider of solutions for SMBs.

While the company reinvents itself as a digital advertising agency, the new landscape is to too competitive to offset losses from the print product, – more... causing the size of the company to contract. – less
Good Company, Great Benefits, Decent Suite of Products
Sales Executive (Current Employee), Bedford NHFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: work from home, flexible schedule, work independently
Cons: excessive administration duties
Typical day at work: Go over calendar and appointments, Prep accounts and presentations, Premise appointments, Consult with clients as to their needs, propose programs designed to help clients.

What I Learned: That good sales people have 2 ears and 1 mouth, and they should be used accordingly

Management: Upper management has to learn to not manage – more... by quarters.

Co-workers: Best group of professionals I have had the pleasure to learn from

Hardest Part of the job: Internal support and fulfillment

Most enjoyable part of the job: Being thanked by a client for helping them to grow their business – less
Good Benefits
Media Consultant for Supermedia (Current Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: uncapped commissions
Cons: too many meetings & role plays
Fun place to work. Good base salary. Uncapped commissions. No micromanaging for outside sales at times.
a typical day at work
PeopleSoft Systems Business Analyst (Current Employee), DFW Airport Area, TexasJanuary 27, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Decent company that just didn't evolve with technology
Account Executive (Former Employee), Centennial, COJanuary 23, 2014
I was working here when the economic crash hit. It became almost impossible to sell yellow pages during the depression. The company unfortunately relied too much on print marketing and didn't fully realize the SEO portion until it was too late.
Geat company to work with
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Beaverton, ORJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: selling the yellowpages
Dex and Supermedia have merged together. so we are one company
now. I am lookinmg for a change after twelve years of selling the same products. Yellowpage adveretsind is slowly going away
Good co workers, management recently could have been improved.
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: car, phone allowences
Cons: healthcare
I start my day at 8 am and set up my desk so I can stay organized. I call and meet with customers in person to insure their business is successful for the year. My co-workers are great and we help each other out in any way possible to be successful. Sometimes dealing with the day to day check ins can be tiring but you get used to it. As far as setting – more... appointments it can get hard but pushing through and having drive to succeed is necessary. – less
learned alot
Local Billing and National Collections Rep (Former Employee), Denver CO.October 21, 2013
The area I worked in was a great place to work. Loved my boss and the people I worked with
A Joke
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), Lone Tree, COOctober 3, 2013
I understand sales atmospheres are stressful and you have to earn your keep however the managers are a joke, the director is just after kpi's vs actual new business for the company, and most of all it is a very negative atmosphere. This company is still known for having a high turnover rate just because nobody is making the money needed to survive.
Productive and fun work-environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Aurora, COSeptember 27, 2013
This company was the same as working for Dex One Inc. The only draw back was that my job title was out-sourced to a foreign country.

1 2 3